Don't have an account? Create one!

Age Difference.

AuthorMessage
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
September 5th, 2009 at 05:59am
^^sry.
I think age differences between people over 18 are nothing to be really worried about.
My big sis is 22 and her fianceƩ 30 (eight years age-difference) and they have no such problems.
A 20 year old dating a 40+ year old seems weird though..
NikkiSixxx
Killjoy
NikkiSixxx
November 2nd, 2009 at 02:44am
I think that as you get older, the age gaps don't seem as wrong. Now, I've always dated older men, and at 16 I was dating a 26 year old. But a 13 and a 23 year old seems much worse. Most people think "What would a 26 year old want with a teenager?" But it differs with people's personalities. We went out for a year, and we didnt have sex until I was ready (I wasnt a virgin, but I wanted to be sure of his motives.) Honestly, I broke up with him because he wasnt mature enough, and I was 10 years his junior (Like i said on a different thread.) He acted like a 13 year old boy sometimes and it drove me nuts.

Currently I'm 18, and seeing a 30 year old man. He's amazing in every way, and he's not a pedophile. His prier girlfriends were all around his age. He was one of my older brothers friends, and we just clicked. We love all the same things, and have the same sense of humour.

So, really, it depends on the person, in my opinion. Once you hit 16, I think its okay to date people a few years older than you (I wouldnt say 26, I just happened to find a good one.) but younger than that I'd say a proper limit would depend on both people. Not every person is the same, and age doesnt dictate you're personality or what you're interests are.
NikkiSixxx
Killjoy
NikkiSixxx
November 2nd, 2009 at 02:53am
helterxskelter:
I've only read through this somewhat quickly, so don't crucify me if I'm repeating something.
It seems like people are forgetting that a large number of states (about 30) list 16 as their Age of Consent, meaning that if the acts between a minor of 16+ and an adult are in fact consensual, it is perfectly legal. So even if some of you do find it unnatural or odd, there's not too much else you can say.

I know in my state (Jersey) the Age of Consent is 16, which works out because I'm 16 and I date an 18-yr-old. (that's kind of why this thread caught my attention) But the age difference isnt a big deal with us at all. I hardly ever notice it.

Errmmm .. New Jersey?

Because, if so, I live in Jersey, and the age of consent here IS in fact 18.

Now, there are a few loop holes to that law here.

My sister and her boyfriend are 3 years apart. When she was 17, he was 21 (he just turned, her birthday was coming up.) and he got arrested the one night because a police officer found them fooling around in her car.

Her mother went down, said it was okay, and he was released. As long as you're parent consents to it, it's totally legal.

NOW, if you're refering to just dating, then yes, it is infact 16. BUT, if you're refering to sleeping together, 18 is the legal age of consent.
cyAb6a
Salute You in Your Grave
cyAb6a
November 3rd, 2009 at 08:33pm
age is just a number it really doesnt matter as long as you love the person and they love you back im currently fourteen and dating a thrity year old man, yeah i know on the surfae it sounds terrible but hes a teenager on the inside and ive been told for years im way old for my age people who dont know me usually guess 18+ it all depends my boyfriend and i have everything in common and we love each other, id do anything for him and hed do anything for me, we make each other happy and hes definantly not a pedophile, in fact our relationship is barely physical at all, we love each other and in my opinion thats all that matters
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
November 8th, 2009 at 06:43am
^^Um.. Relationships like that can also go terribly wrong, you know.
Believe me, I've seen it happen..
cyAb6a
Salute You in Your Grave
cyAb6a
November 8th, 2009 at 09:45am
Her Passions.:
^^Um.. Relationships like that can also go terribly wrong, you know.
Believe me, I've seen it happen..

any relationship can go terribly wrong
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
November 8th, 2009 at 12:49pm
How does he feel about the fact he could get into alot if trouble, not just with the law, by being with you?

I'm not being funny either, I'm genually interested.
antennas to heaven.
Banned
antennas to heaven.
November 8th, 2009 at 05:09pm
CMEPTb:
and hes definantly not a pedophile
well technically he is a pedophile.
I don't think age matters really, but this situation is different.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
November 9th, 2009 at 04:35am
sharks and danger.:
CMEPTb:
and hes definantly not a pedophile
well technically he is a pedophile.

Correct. A pedophile is someone who is sexually attracted to children. In the eyes of the law, a 14 year old is a child and therefore he is a pedophile. I don't mean it in a degrading way or accusing him mind you, just wanted to point it out.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
November 25th, 2009 at 09:36pm
CMEPTb:

any relationship can go terribly wrong

You have to take into account though that there's a greater likelihood of something going wrong in your situation.
There is a huge difference in your ages, and you're dealing with someone who has years of emotional and sexual maturity that you're unlikely to have.
I'm not targeting your relationship specifically, all I'm saying is you have to acknowledge the risks involved in a relationship like that.

Break Me Down
Fabulous Killjoy
Break Me Down
November 28th, 2009 at 09:44am
It depends on how mature each individual is.
If a 16 year old girl is dating an 18 year old and is bragging about it to her friends, she's not mature enough, therefore, the relationship would fail.
If both parties can be mature about it, then I say why not? If there's a 20 year age difference, and one is a teen, that's inappropriate. You shouldn't date someone that could pass as your child.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
November 29th, 2009 at 04:37pm
[font=4][size=75]
if a 16 year old girl is dating an 18 year old and is bragging about it to her friends, she's not mature enough

That really doesnt make someone immature; Petty maybe but not immature.
[/font][/size]
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
December 5th, 2009 at 08:08pm
the_not_okay_kid:
It depends on how mature each individual is.
If a 16 year old girl is dating an 18 year old and is bragging about it to her friends, she's not mature enough, therefore, the relationship would fail.
If both parties can be mature about it, then I say why not? If there's a 20 year age difference, and one is a teen, that's inappropriate. You shouldn't date someone that could pass as your child.

the problem with that is the definition of maturity itself, not everyone defines it the same, I'm 17 and i have people tell me all the time that I'm very mature for my age and i date guys anywhere from 17 to 20 or 21. but there are other 17 year olds i know that i sometimes wonder if they're even 17. so you cant make a law based on mental maturity, i just think that there needs to be a reasonable ae limit.

for example, in the State of Florida, the age of consent is 16 but only for persons under 21, 21 and older, the age of consent jumps to 18. i think thats reasonable
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
December 5th, 2009 at 08:35pm
Um, no, you're wrong. The age of consent is 18. The age of consent is the age when a citizen becomes an age to consent to sexual activity. And that's 18. I don't know if you're in Florida, but I am, and my friends/family in law enforcement have dealt time and time again with statutory rape offenders who had sex with someone under 18.
immortal_love27
Killjoy
immortal_love27
April 27th, 2010 at 06:20pm
I live in Illinois and in my state, if your eighteen, you can only date someone that is three years younger than you without being illegal. My friend is on the sex offender list, and spent a year and a half in jail, because his ex found out that he was sleeping with a fifteen year old when he was 18. She told the other girls parents, and he got thrown in the slammer for statutory Rape. Just got out, he's twenty now. Anyway about the age difference, my boyfriend and I are just barley six years apart. When I got with him, I was sixteen and he was twenty-two. All my friends thought i was an idiot for dating him at first, but my parents were okay with it and that's all that mattered. I knew him for a year b4 we started dating, so it's not like I jumped into things.Anyways we have been together for four years now, and we are getting married this summer. Mr. Green So my advice to any teen that wants to date an older guy, know him very well first and of coarse ask your parents permission. If there okay with it go for it. Coming from a girl that is with sum1 much older then here it is much much hard than dating sum1 your own age. Especially if they have kids.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
May 4th, 2010 at 08:32am
I think age does matter. JUst because other people say and think you're mature for your age doesn't neccessarily mean you're completely mature. You're still young, you still have life in front of you and you still haven't seen everything no matter how convinced you are about your maturity.
I think its a phase in life where you think you know everything. I used to think like that but at some point not long ago I just had to accept that I still have loads to learn and lots of challenges and changes in life coming at me at just 14.
You can't argue that a 28 year old has more expierience than a 14 year old. Even if people say the 14 year old is mature for his/her age and the 28 behaves rather like a child. The've usually still been through more, cause they've lived longer. With time comes expierience.
So I think age does matter.

Of course to two persons who love each other though it doesn't.
Gerardz-luv-l-eG1RL
Joining The Black Parade
Gerardz-luv-l-eG1RL
May 13th, 2010 at 07:31pm
Depends on the situation, if they are 18 and your 17, maybe even 16 is fine, but anything lower than that would be weird. As my mother says if he's over 18 and your not, your just jail bait. Shocked
DrinkCoffee..Destroy
Fabulous Killjoy
DrinkCoffee..Destroy
March 13th, 2013 at 09:20am
I don't really see a problem with age differences, as long as they aren't major. Having too much of an age difference can give you problems through the entire relationship, though. Or at least that's what I've seen. My dad is nine years older than my mom, and they fight all the time. Literally every day, and my mom says a lot how she'd rather to have been with a man her own age.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
March 16th, 2013 at 01:12am
I don't have a problem with age difference. Maybe I'm just biased because I'm attracted to older guys, but... I mean when I see an 18 year old girl dating a 32 year old guy I don't really think anything of it. My grandparents were 12 years apart, and they were married for over 50 years, ending only because my grandmother passed away.

There does need to be an age of consent though, obviously. I don't think an 11 year old is mature enough to be making huge decisions like having sex and things like that. I think 16 is a good enough age.
My Chemical Kid
Killjoy
My Chemical Kid
November 18th, 2013 at 01:47am
I think age difference matters when people are younger but when people are older it doesn't matter as much. Like my grand parents are about (could be a little under) ten years apart. Yes I know back then was a different time and things were different but lets say five years. Its considered bad for a 15 year old girl to be dating a 20 year old guy. However, later in life when shes 47 and hes 52 its not really much of a big deal. Although i dont like these young women dating these old rich men thats creepy and we all know why theyre doing it. Just my opinion.