Don't have an account? Create one!

Age Difference.

AuthorMessage
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 9th, 2009 at 04:02pm
Faraday:

Forget maturity, it would be illegal, not to mention pedophilic on the part of the 35 year old. An older person having a relationship with a child is wrong period, for the very fact that there is a child involved.

Yes, but maturity is the reason it is illegal.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 9th, 2009 at 04:23pm
questionable content:

Yes, but maturity is the reason it is illegal.

Maybe partially, but it's more to protect children from predators.
helterxskelter
Killjoy
helterxskelter
June 9th, 2009 at 05:32pm
I've only read through this somewhat quickly, so don't crucify me if I'm repeating something.
It seems like people are forgetting that a large number of states (about 30) list 16 as their Age of Consent, meaning that if the acts between a minor of 16+ and an adult are in fact consensual, it is perfectly legal. So even if some of you do find it unnatural or odd, there's not too much else you can say.

I know in my state (Jersey) the Age of Consent is 16, which works out because I'm 16 and I date an 18-yr-old. (that's kind of why this thread caught my attention) But the age difference isnt a big deal with us at all. I hardly ever notice it.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 9th, 2009 at 09:11pm
^ Because they're not as mature and so not as able to handle it, perhaps?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 9th, 2009 at 10:38pm
Even if a child is 'mature' or able to 'handle' it doesn't take away the dangers. There are people out there who like to prey on children, to manipulate them, and harm them. Even if a 12 year old were as mature as a 20 year old, would not make it acceptable for them to be in a relationship with someone much older than them, because they are plain and simple, a child. A mature child is still a child, they still won't have as much experience in life as an older person, and would be more naive than an older person.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 10th, 2009 at 08:02am
I agree with faraday.

maturity doesnt change anything, It's against the law for a perfectly good reason and lets just say theres a 13 year old who is mature way beyond her years, it doesn't mean she can't be manipulated. A 20 year old can be manipulated, ever pensioners (who I think its safe to say most are quite mature and experienced yes?) get manipulated all the time, So therefor the law is quite right.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 10th, 2009 at 05:12pm
^ Yes, but what I was trying to say is that maybe because they're not as mature, it's easier for them to be manipulated.
Instantaneous-Music
Killjoy
Instantaneous-Music
June 17th, 2009 at 11:40am
I believe the law is something to really follow. I mean, even if one has something in common with a person who is 5-10 years older than them, it should still be in a legal range so that no one gets charged with manipulation or rape. I had an issue with that when I was 12 and a guy was 18. He wanted to start something but I knew it was wrong.

But no more about me. I just think that it should be at a reasonable age. I just believe that there really shouldn't be more than a two year age difference unless both persons in a relationship are at least 18+.
spiderpig-
Really Not Okay
spiderpig-
June 19th, 2009 at 06:07am
^i somehow agree about that . but if you're not yet mature, the mistake will make you a mature person, right ?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 19th, 2009 at 06:58am
machinesrant.:
^i somehow agree about that . but if you're not yet mature, the mistake will make you a mature person, right ?

Mistakes in life can teach you things and make you more mature, but 'mistakes' such as a child being in a relationship with an adult would more likely scar you for life. On what was previously being discussed, I think the laws are needed to protect children not just because they are mentally vulnerable but because they are physically vulnerable as well, they are not finished developing and were an adult to consummate a relationship with a child (even a young teenager for that matter) it would physically harm them.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 19th, 2009 at 03:21pm
Faraday:
but because they are physically vulnerable as well, they are not finished developing and were an adult to consummate a relationship with a child (even a young teenager for that matter) it would physically harm them.

But theoretically, wouldn't it be the same if they were to do that with someone of their own age as well?
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 19th, 2009 at 05:17pm
questionable content:

But theoretically, wouldn't it be the same if they were to do that with someone of their own age as well?

Most children dont have sex, I think faraday was more refering to small children.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
June 20th, 2009 at 07:06am
In my eyes age difference is a very different issue to paedophillia. We already have a thread for that, I think we should stick to age difference in relationships that don't include small children.
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
July 10th, 2009 at 06:59am
I think with age differences, even big ones are okay as long some consideration is taken. E.g. if I'm forty and I could have a chance with a seventeen year old, I'd have to look at that and think, perhaps not. I think as long as both people are adults then the difference in age isn't too big an issue. The only people it should matter to are the people in the relationship and that is their prerogative.

Even in a gold digger situation, if you think about it everyone's happy. The gold digger gets their money and the other person gets a young, hot partner.
thatkindavampireluv
Killjoy
thatkindavampireluv
July 17th, 2009 at 07:15pm
i think that the subject for *if you are under 18 you cant date anybody above* is trying to get teens from dating adults from 20s, to 30s. or mabey higher.

personally, i wouldnt date anybody unless they are around a years difference
Fantasma
Demolition Lover
Fantasma
July 19th, 2009 at 02:47pm
I believe that the closer you get to 20 years, the less age differences seem to matter. I have started to see that change of mentality in my own thinking, since I have had something small going on with guys who are already 20 years or even older. At my age, it is already possible to be working, to live on your own, high school is about to end and you can also drive a car. All of that is of course only some formal facts that don`t mean you are mature enough to handle big age differences. I feel like I am pretty capable of taking care of myself and watching out for myself - and heaven knows, through my experiences I know I´m not naive and I don`t buy most of the things these men say to me. Even though I have always felt quite mature due to my up bringing, I still have noticed that it is so much different to see things from tv and analzye what you see than to be actually experiencing these things yourself. When you are there and really going through lets say a date with a guy way over 20 when you are still under it, it feels just so different. You just start loosing some of your rationality, because everything is so new and good in a way you have never felt it before. But I have always managed to keep my feet on the ground.
Now the thing is: if even I, a girl pretty much rational and smart, fears slightly like this and is conscious, then how the hell do kids younger then me think they are capable of dealing with it? They only think so, but they end up being damaged, I`m quite sure.

With full grown adults I think age differenes don`t really matter. If they both accept the fact and are perfectly content with the situation, and respect each other genuinely, then I say it`s simply ok.
Dana Way
Banned
Dana Way
July 19th, 2009 at 03:57pm
Age doesn't matter to me but it does matter when a 35 year old man is trying to get together with a 10 year old girl.
That's where I stop the line.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
July 19th, 2009 at 05:03pm
As mentioned earlier this thread is for age differences not for a discussion on paedophilia. Keep that for the other thread. Age differences should be between consenting adults or we're covering issues that should be discussed in different threads.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
July 21st, 2009 at 08:52am
^ if age difference is just between consenting adults, I don't see why it should be illegal, or morally wrong. Even an 80 and a 20 year old. Sure, one of them may be using the other, but that can happen in any relationship. The people in question are overage; their lives and choices are their own responsibility now.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 21st, 2009 at 09:34am
questionable content:
if age difference is just between consenting adults, I don't see why it should be illegal, or morally wrong[
Absolutely. The only time it should be outlawed in my opinion is if the younger person was raised by the older one. Everyone needs to stop imposing their beliefs upon others - this is supposed to be a free society. If no one is hurting anyone else, let it be!