Don't have an account? Create one!

Medical Marijuana

AuthorMessage
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
October 8th, 2007 at 08:49pm
I think there are a lot of worse drugs to make legal for any reason. Hell, I'd rather someone got ahold of marijuana through someone else's prescription than something like vicodin or oxycontin. Those two substances are physically and mentally addictive, while marijuana is incredibly mentally addictive, but your body won't go into withdrawals without it.

Also, in my opinion the only reason it hasn't been legalized in the states isn't concern about safety, just political and economic red tape. The mantra of those opposed seems to be "There are other options," but it seems that a growing number of doctors think that marijuana is the best option, the "least painful poison."

Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
November 10th, 2007 at 09:11pm
Hey if its going to help a human being's health I'm in favor for it!
I'm anti-drug.
Cut
Jazz Hands
Cut
November 13th, 2007 at 08:18am
Diana_a7x:
Hey if its going to help a human being's health I'm in favor for it!
I'm anti-drug.

Same, if it can save someones life, why shouldn't it be medication.
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
Joining The Black Parade
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
November 14th, 2007 at 10:18pm
Hey, they use Demerol in hospitals, which is an opiate. Why not medical marijuana? They use it for cancer patients, I know. I mean, they have cancer. Such incredible pain, let them have the lesser of the two evils. It can also control the nausea associated with chemo.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
November 17th, 2007 at 01:24am
I think its been awhile since they've discovered that marijuana is medication
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
November 17th, 2007 at 06:52pm
Just to clarify, marijuana wouldn' t be saving anyone's life if used as a medication. It would be used in place of painkillers to treat conditions such as glaucoma and cancer. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be legalized, though.

Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
November 17th, 2007 at 08:07pm
Well I'm thinking its temporary....
Eight Bitter Years.
Killjoy
Eight Bitter Years.
August 2nd, 2008 at 07:21pm
I agree with you eclipse, some people really need help and if they dont get drugs then they might die. so let them do whatever they want with thier bodies
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 2nd, 2008 at 09:25pm
Eight Bitter Years.:
I agree with you eclipse, some people really need help and if they dont get drugs then they might die.

I've never heard of anyone "needing" marijuana so badly that they'd "die". Medicinal marijuana wouldn't save their life. I'd say it would probably act more as a pain relief.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
August 3rd, 2008 at 03:02pm

Cannabis has been used as a pain reliever for over 4800 years. Records from Ancient India reveal that its psychoactive properties were recognised and exploited by doctors. It was used as a treatment for various gastrointestinal disorders, insomnia, headaches and as a pain reliever, often used in childbirth. Cannabis was used as a medicine throughout the world in the 1800s. In fact, until the invention of aspirin, it was the major pain reliever. Doctors O'Shaughnessy and Moreau de Tours used cannabis as an anticonvulsant, an analgesic and a sleeping aid. It has also been used to treat migraines and melancholia. Later in the 20th Century, researchers began investigating the ways of detecting if a person was 'stoned', or suffering from cannabis intoxication. During this research, they discovered that smoking the drug reduced intraocular pressure. This was significant, as glaucoma patients can suffer blindness if they have high intraocular pressure, they thought that if the patients smoked, or ingested cannabis then it would prevent blindness. Vietnam War veterans also believed that the drug could be beneficial. Soldiers enduring battle wounds such as spinal injuries often took cannabis to reduce and prevent muscle spasms. More recent medical uses have focused mainly on cannabis' role in the inhibition of wasting syndromes and chronic loss of appetite connected with chemotherapy and AIDS, along with several rare muscular and skeletal disorders. Less common treatments of alcoholism, heroin addiction and migraines have used cannabis, and the main constituent ingredient, THC, may help preclude atherosclerosis. In the 1970's THC was synthetically produced to make the drug Marinol (Dronabinol). This drug was aimed at chemotherapy patients, however that as were the problem lay. The violent nausea associated with chemotherapy made it difficult to swallow the pill, and so users reverted back to smoking cannabis. Marinol is very psychoactive and harder to titrate; it is also more expensive than herbal cannabis. Several studies have suggested that THC works in conjunction with other chemicals in the plant. A study in California in the 1980s, involving 90-100 patients per year, revealed that, although a remarkable bias towards oral THC, smoked cannabis was easier to administer safe doses and was more effective.

Cannabis is sometimes used in the treatment of manic depression (now known as bipolar disorder). Users found that it could control their mania, or their depression, or in some cases, both. They either discovered that it was more effective than conventional drugs, or it help relieve the side effects caused by the drugs. Lithium allows reduced consumption, but cannabis has been found to be a valuable supplement, cancelling lithium's side effects. In the early 1950's lithium was regarded in a way similar to cannabis is now, unfortunately the law has prevented bipolar sufferers from being able to access this invaluable drug.

Cannabis is thought to provoke schizophrenia in users, however further studies are needed. The University of Lausanne found that ΒΌ of all men given drugs containing a cannabis extract, such as THC, showed signs of psychotic behaviour. This drug induced mania expressed when cannabis is the main substance abused is 'distinct phenomenological' from other psychosis. Research has also discovered that it is unusual for such psychosis to develop without other drugs present in the users system, making it exceedingly difficult for scientists and researchers to distinguish between the effects of cannabis and other illegal drugs.

Until the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937, cannabis was legal in the USA. This Act made prescriptions of cannabis illegal, as the US Federal Government does not recognise its medical properties. Recently George W. Bush closed the Compassionate Investigational New Drug Programme to new patients; however, he permitted the seven original patients to continue their treatment. The Food and Drug Authority (FDA) have not approved smoked cannabis. The United States were the third country to ban cannabis when they did so in 1937.

According to Francis L. Young, an Administration Law Judge, declared in 1988, that 'in it's natural form, [cannabis] is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known'

Cannabis's side effects have not been fully investigated, and scientists confirm that more research is needed. Cannabis is not the only drug that produces psychosis and increases the risk of developing schizophrenia. Salvia is a natural hallucinogen that is legally available in the US, which is linked to a higher risk of developing schizophrenia than cannabis is, yet it is still legally obtainable. Cannabis's risks are much lower than other, legal drugs, whilst it's benefits are much higher. Therefore, I believe that cannabis should be made a legally prescribed medication. Many Multiple Sclerosis suffers already smoke cannabis as a form of pain relief, cancer patients too. It could be a revolutionary drug for the treatment of bipolar disorder, but due to its legal status, it can't be used. Children are often encouraged to 'turn in' parents who use cannabis for medical reasons, leaving them in in pain. Cannabis is not physically addictive, and so it necessary, users would be able to go for periods of time without the drug. Cannabis should remain a Class C drug, but be readily available as a form of medication, as its benefits are explicit.

sorry it's so long, and the language is so weird, I was writing it as a summarized case study...
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
August 3rd, 2008 at 03:34pm
Cut:

Same, if it can save someones life, why shouldn't it be medication.

Becasue there's always going to be someone who is going to abuse it.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
August 3rd, 2008 at 03:42pm
^^But thats the case with loads of medicines, Even over-the counter painkillers.

From Trainspotting By Irvine Welsh:

We stole drugs.
We stole prescriptions or bought them..
sold them, swapped them,
forged them, photocopied them.
Or traded drugs
with cancer victims...
alcoholics, pensioners, AIDS patients,
epileptics and bored housewives.
We took morphine, diamorphine,
cyclozine, codeine, temazepam...
nitrazepam, phenobarbitone,
and sodium amytal..
dextropropoxyphene, methadone,
nalbuphine, pethidine, pentazocine...
buprenorphine, dextromoramide,
chlormethiazole.
The streets are awash
with drugs you can have..
for unhappiness and pain,
and we took them all.

Just added this to show that any drugs can be abused.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
August 3rd, 2008 at 05:27pm
Alan Carr:
Becasue there's always going to be someone who is going to abuse it.

People already abuse it - stars in Hollywood can get prescriptions written for herb even though it's not legal. But you can't really "abuse" weed. I mean, worst case scenario, you're more stupid than before and you're lazy. But it's not going to make you lose your house or go broke like with some other drugs.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 4th, 2008 at 09:31am
Faye Merci:
People already abuse it - stars in Hollywood can get prescriptions written for herb even though it's not legal. But you can't really "abuse" weed. I mean, worst case scenario, you're more stupid than before and you're lazy. But it's not going to make you lose your house or go broke like with some other drugs.

I don't disagree with smoking marijuana, but I must say that the whole myth about marijuana not being addictive or abusive is bullshite to me. Sure, it may not be as addictive as ice or cocaine, but it can still get you hooked. Marijuana addiction and abuse tends to occur over long time periods, unlike some other illegal drugs, which is why it doesn't seem so addictive in comparison.

Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
August 5th, 2008 at 12:20am
Mindfuck:
I don't disagree with smoking marijuana, but I must say that the whole myth about marijuana not being addictive or abusive is bullshite to me. Sure, it may not be as addictive as ice or cocaine, but it can still get you hooked. Marijuana addiction and abuse tends to occur over long time periods, unlike some other illegal drugs, which is why it doesn't seem so addictive in comparison.

I have a lot of friends that smoke weed, and none of them have ever been physically addicted, meaning you can quit and nothing will hurt you or happen to you. However, mentally, it can be addictive in a sense - if you use it as a coping mechanism constantly, then you'll miss it. But it's not like other withdrawals where you get sick or lose your mind - it's more like you just intensely miss it.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 5th, 2008 at 12:48am
Tallulah; Schechter:

From Trainspotting By Irvine Welsh:

We stole drugs.
We stole prescriptions or bought them..
sold them, swapped them,
forged them, photocopied them.
Or traded drugs
with cancer victims...
alcoholics, pensioners, AIDS patients,
epileptics and bored housewives.
We took morphine, diamorphine,
cyclozine, codeine, temazepam...
nitrazepam, phenobarbitone,
and sodium amytal..
dextropropoxyphene, methadone,
nalbuphine, pethidine, pentazocine...
buprenorphine, dextromoramide,
chlormethiazole.
The streets are awash
with drugs you can have..
for unhappiness and pain,
and we took them all.

Just added this to show that any drugs can be abused.
People find ways to get high many things are regardless who they are, it can be anyone, ust watch The Cleaner to know that.

But my friend and I abused painkillers like ibprofen and tylonel and benedreyl. Its not that hard to overmedicate on them. We also did marijuana afew times, it was actually easier for me to not do marijuana more then a few times, but with the pills, I did that hard for awhile, so i think pills are much much more dangerous then just some marijuana, because you can be any age to go get a few bottles of the 100 tablet bottles of Tylonel extra strength with the candy flavored coated on sale for like 3 for 10 bucks. (No one ever freaking do that, it almost killed us and it's not worth it being addicted)

but I do think marijuana changes your personality alittle bit more everytime you do it. like I think it made me anxious all the time.

But in California they are considering putting on the November a bill to legalize Marijuana
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 5th, 2008 at 12:55am
Faye Merci:
I have a lot of friends that smoke weed, and none of them have ever been physically addicted, meaning you can quit and nothing will hurt you or happen to you. However, mentally, it can be addictive in a sense - if you use it as a coping mechanism constantly, then you'll miss it. But it's not like other withdrawals where you get sick or lose your mind - it's more like you just intensely miss it.
there is almost no withdrawls to marijuana, but that doesn't mean its not dangerous, same thing with smoking, there is no withdrawls to smoking, but they still aren't good for you. but I've been through both, not so much with the marijuana cause i only did that a few times, but with smoking, man that is harder, you just want one so bad, same thing as pills.

But right now a very good freind of mine who did basically every drug out there is now sobering up, and he has the worst withdrawls, and they'll be with him for the next 2 years because of everything he was doing and how much for how long. Like I look at that and you realize just how not worth it drugs are. So for me i'm torn on this issue. if it makes someone in terrible pain feel better then wwhy should they suffer, but would it really be fair for them to be addicted and have another problem?
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
August 5th, 2008 at 05:35pm
My Dear Delirious:

But in California they are considering putting on the November a bill to legalize Marijuana

You know, I'm not sure if this is an appropriate tangent -

It's somehow sad that California is the one to do all of these revolutionary things because now, when it happens there, everyone just goes "it's California. What do you expect?" Nobody seems to pay any mind to the merits of things anymore, and if Cali does it, it somehow cheapens it for so many people. Not me, but enough people that Cali seems to be as far as many things go. D:
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 5th, 2008 at 05:46pm
Chris Martin:
You know, I'm not sure if this is an appropriate tangent -

It's somehow sad that California is the one to do all of these revolutionary things because now, when it happens there, everyone just goes "it's California. What do you expect?" Nobody seems to pay any mind to the merits of things anymore, and if Cali does it, it somehow cheapens it for so many people. Not me, but enough people that Cali seems to be as far as many things go. D:
I live in California and we do try alot of things, and if they do legalize California what I'm afriad of happening is more stars and stuff here will do it and just influnence alot of impressionable kids that drugs are ok. I mean if California does legalize marijuana, will that just create even more of a drug boom?
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 5th, 2008 at 05:49pm
Also another thing is that you can say almost anything to a doctor to be allowed to legally smoke Marijuana, you can say your back hurts, you always feel to anxious etc. anything, is that alright?