Don't have an account? Create one!

Discipline

AuthorMessage
cellblocktango
Thinking Happy Thoughts
cellblocktango
February 29th, 2008 at 10:26am
okay i have read this thread and i want to give my opinion of this topic so here it goes.

i come frome the south so things are kind of different here and i think that kids today do not get enough ass wippings!!!
the parents just threaten them with it. now dont get me wrong im not saying that its ok to beat your kids sensless but if a good butt wipping killed people then i would not be writing this now.
but now adays parents can't wip there kids because everyone is afraid of DHR (department of human resources )
kids are gonna mess up and make some stupid desicisions because it's what makes us learn and because we're teenagers it's what we do.
but seriosly parents need to stop yelling and stop threatening their kids with punishment and do it.
when i have children they are going to have respect for people they are going to act decent in public or i will spank them. simple to the piont no fucking around.
it's what my parents did to me and i turned out just fine, not that i havent ever messed up before or rebeled against what my parents said but i got punished for it and i learned not to do it again.
that's all i have to say about this topic so im gonna go bye.
cellblocktango
Thinking Happy Thoughts
cellblocktango
February 29th, 2008 at 10:27am
yay paige claim!!!!
sorry but its my first one woooo
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
February 29th, 2008 at 04:59pm
I think those who have said that kids need more boundaries when they're younger is right. I know I come from a fairly sheltered background, but it astonishes me, the way I see little kids behaving sometimes.

I knew one little boy who was very reticent -- to the point of being rude -- and his parents encouraged and lauded this.

At another point, I had an 8-year-old boy threaten (jokingly) to hit me. He had never been told that it is wrong for boys to hit girls. He was otherwise a pretty smart kid, with reasonably intelligent parents, but seriously...

I really dislike that kids aren't even being taught the laws of common courtesy, much less that they shouldn't drink underage/to an extreme, or that having sex outside of a long-term relationship is wrong. I know there's starting to be a bit of a backlash against it, but I just don't know... Sad
dark desire.
Salute You in Your Grave
dark desire.
February 29th, 2008 at 08:19pm
I think amount of discipline should be how much the kid needs. It's not fair to an honest kid who just wants to have fun to restrain them because of things they MIGHT do. If the kid is a delinquient then obviously he/she needs tighter discipline. There is no set amount for everyone
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
February 29th, 2008 at 09:34pm
ishowidisappear:
I think amount of discipline should be how much the kid needs. It's not fair to an honest kid who just wants to have fun to restrain them because of things they MIGHT do. If the kid is a delinquient then obviously he/she needs tighter discipline. There is no set amount for everyone

Exactly. You can limit the amount of discipline you exert on someone else. I mean, if the child doesn't want to listen, why should you exert the same amount of discipline you would to a child who is quite obedient? You can't have a set standard for kids, simply because kids have different personalities.
Kayla Doesn't Care
Fabulous Killjoy
Kayla Doesn't Care
March 1st, 2008 at 12:55pm
I'm the oldest. A lot of the time I feel like the 'practice child'
They see what works and doesn't work for disciplining me so that they know what they should do when my siblings misbehave similarly. Think I'm crazy? I heard my dad say that to his friends once... good to know I'm just 'practice' and he doesn't care if I turn out f*cked up, Oh well, he'll just do better with the others.
Anyway, enough of my rambling...My parents give me ridiculous rules sometimes but at others they seem to not give a damn. They over react to things a lot and they seem very uninterested in a lot of my life so I think they've taken both too far. By the way, there's a line between discipline and abuse, I say we're a little to close to the edge...my friends say we're past. They should try to find a better balance, hopefully they will for their real children.
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
March 3rd, 2008 at 04:00am
Interesting ...

I've seen a lot of parents make this mistake: of letting their kids go nuts when they;re so-called little and adorable, and cute enough to get away with anything They don't raise their voices when the kid throws a tantrum in the middle of the restaurant; they don't bat an eyelid when the kid is rude; and they seem to hv the inability to say no to the little tyke.

Then when the kid becomes a teenager & threatend with the onslaught of hormones, the parents impose all sorts of rules & restrictions. !! Of course the kid is gonna give em hell. He or she was not prepared for this level of discipline -- for any level of discipline -- in their formation years. Now, just bcoz they're no longer cute & cuddly, they can't have their way. the more likely they are to be confused, dun u think?

I had a very firm (but not strict) upbringing -- my parents clearly drew the line at how much they would tolerate before the spanking started. As I grew up those lines slowly blurred becoz i'd learnt the rules, & my parents trusted me to bend some of those rules but still be a good kid at the end of the day. Generally speaking (bcoz different kids will require different ubnringing methods) i think thats the best u can do for ur child. The occasional firm hand never killed anyone. And remember no matter what, ur kids are born looking up to you. Whether u lose their innate respect is up to u.
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
March 7th, 2008 at 09:37pm
a thousand apologies:
It's important to give a child/teenager the right amount of discipline and freedom.

Give them too much discipline, they're more likely to want to 'break the rules'.
Give them too much freedom, and there aren't going to be any rules.

It's important to find the right balance and keep your kid grounded.

i couldnt agree with you more. there's this kid in my math class who breaks every rule imaginable, he has no respect for the teacher or anyone else and the teacher calls his mom every night but she doesnt do anything about the problem. if i had ever disrespected my teacher the way this kid does, i dont even want to know what would happen to me lol.

but it is definetly important to find that balance, and enforce it
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
March 8th, 2008 at 08:46pm
every kid should be disciplined.
why?
because if your not disciplined you end up getting into very bad sitatutions
parents who do not care for there children are lacking there parenting skills
manners and discipline get you good oppertunities in your life
Littlemisschem
Fabulous Killjoy
Littlemisschem
March 24th, 2008 at 07:28pm
I think there should always be a good balance of discipline in the relationship between parents and their child. Although I'm only a teen, I've seen some parents of my friends, and they're always like "go do whatever you want, I don't care..." And the things my friends do! I actually feel like going up to that parent and telling them how to do their job, and that should never happen. I was raised in a family with very strict rules and now I'm well behaved. As for the whole, "well if you're too hard on them, then they'll break tons of rules," that doesn't exactly affect me. Sometimes you're just like, "oh, fuck what they said," but then you're too scared break the rules.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
March 24th, 2008 at 07:39pm
I believe in spankings and that they are going buh bye, to many kids today don't get them.

I believe spankings as a last effort. I'm a nursery and around alott of kids and the kids who get a good spanking when they act up are the best to watch, they don't act up as much.

first you should give a child a warning not to do that agian because it is unacceptable. Then issue time-out where the kid has to face the corner for at least five minuetes. Last one good spanking.

BUT A SPANKING IS ALL THAT IS EVER NEEDED. anything more then that like a sock to the arm is wrong.