Don't have an account? Create one!

Ignorance

AuthorMessage
mental_scottish_lass
Joining The Black Parade
mental_scottish_lass
November 16th, 2007 at 07:52pm
oh god i thought it was just me who could see their arses from the back ... the rap that they listen to is mostly about drugs n killing the parents with guns n shit now come on if thats ok why isnt rock or metal and emo ???
yep
Ghost in the Snow
yep
November 17th, 2007 at 05:06am
I know the feeling.
Parents come off as assholes, in lack of a better fitting word. And I believe that a great deal of them are very over protective about that kind of music. But I also believe that if they took their time to listen to what, for example, My Chemical Romance have to say, they would be more understanding.

MCR have a strong message, but the first impression might not be as good for many people, which I completely understand really.
Just look at "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison".
It's about prison rape, even though people probably wouldn't think so at first. It's more about the methaphors(?) and the message that lies in the song. People might not get that.

And if you look at "The Black Parade". Like the songs titled "The End", "Dead!", "Famous Last Words", "Welcome To The Black Parade" and also the bonus track "Blood".
Well, it makes most people wonder what the hell it's about. Totally understandable, if you ask me.

Also, take a good look at the lyrics, me now using lyrics from "The Black Parade" as an example.
"I gave you blood, blood. Gallons of the stuff.", "Wouldn't it be great if we were dead?!", "Well, after all the blood that you still owe. Another dollar's just another blow.", "Tell me I'm a bad man, kick me like a stray.", "And as the blood runs down the walls, you see me creeping up these halls.", "So darken your clothes, and strike a violent pose.", "Asleep or dead...", "You wanna see how far down I can sink." and then have someone randomly shout out "FUCK!" at the end of the last sentence...
Don't come and say you wouldn't question what the hell this was if you never heard the band or knew shit about them beforehand.

I have to say that I totally understand the parents, even if I don't agree with them. I would also be protective if I had a child. Hell, I'm protective over my little sister.
I actually find it amusing when my 7-year old sister comes into the room playing air guitar when I'm singing along to an MCR song. I get proud, to put it out there. I, in all honesty, get proud when I see that I have that influence on her.
Now she can randomly come and sit by me while I'm listenting to whatever of my music. She is particulary interested in MCR and Green Day from my lists, and can even sing along to some sentences. I find that quite impressive, seeing as she's only 7 and we come from a country where you basically have to teach yourself english if you want to use it.

But I understand more than anything the kids that get upset cause their parents don't like whatever they listen to.
I have that at home too. I always have to turn it down or turn it off completely.
I consider it bullshit when no one even bothers to take their time to listen to, example again, MCR. I could have spoken about MCR for days, I bet, but my parents won't even let me explain for a minute. They just don't wanna hear about it.
They believe most of it is complete shit and that I'm just "in a phase" or something like that.
My mom actually came to say once that she thought "Famous Last Words" was an OK song. But she also thought that "I Don't Love You" was complete and utter crap. Surprising...

But no matter what, I believe more parents would get what their kids were about if they'd bother to listen.

And on my god, I write too much. Shocked
Hope it made some crazy sense though... Very Happy

EDIT: God forbid the first thing your parents ever heard of MCR was "Mama".
"Mama, we all go to hell." ...and so on...
Good? I don't think so...

fun ghoul
In a Bullet's Embrace
fun ghoul
November 17th, 2007 at 03:12pm
Beeblebrox:
Well, just remember to put yourself in your parents shoes. You are their child and they want to be sure you're growing up in the right manner with the ability to make the right decisions when you become an adult. They might think, as my mom did, that certain types of music or bands might have a bad influence on their kid and they have the right to censor that. Until you are a legal adult, it's unfortunately your parent's right.

It sucks, I know. But I realize now that my mom was just being a good mom. She was looking out for me mainly because she cared and partly because in all honesty, some of the songs were quite violent and vulgar. You have to step back and see things like an adult, you have to see how some parents can't see past the words "murder scene, bullets, kill all your friends, deathwish, etc."

The best solution is not going to be to fight it. That's just going to make things worse and show them you're not mature. The best solution is to level with them, in a clear, mature and adult way that they can understand. You have to explain that the music doesn't make you violent or depressed or suicidal, that it makes you feel good and maybe even gives you hope. Hopefully, if you can meet them on some even ground they'll accept your choices.

I agree with her
fun ghoul
In a Bullet's Embrace
fun ghoul
November 17th, 2007 at 03:23pm
you made a good point there Phoenix. Thumb up

Personally, my mother and my aunts just have to intervene with the
music I listen to, especially My Chem. (good thing they haven't heard some
of the other bands I listen to). They think it's just a phase and it'll pass, this
got me kinda worried tbh, i don't want to be dull and boring, as I believe
I would be when I don't listen to music...

One day, my aunt overseas looked this 'emo' and MCR stuff on the Internet, and
she said MCR was complete emo and pursuading suicide among kids. At the
moment, my heart was beating so hard in anger but I didn't want to say it (or
go to LA and rip her heart out, xD just kidding). She got it all wrong, and she
judges MCR cruely right away not knowing that MCR has influenced me to good
things, creativity, etc. throught their metaphors and lyrics.

They just don't know and parents shouldn't stop their kids from doing what they
like, even if it appears to them as evil, but really isn't.

My mom always says that I should find another band to listen to.. I think she
expects me to listen to some shit with soft mellow music with overly optimistic
people. yeah, right.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 17th, 2007 at 03:57pm
There's a huge difference between sheltering kids and taking an interest in them. I work with elementary school kids and some of them like MCR and we'll talk about them, but I SEVERELY edit my conversations and will not talk to them about certain songs. While I agree that telling a child not to do something will encourage them to do it even more, forcing your child to be JUST LIKE YOU is ridiculous.

I was fairly lucky growing up, I listened to a lot of heavy stuff, industrial, punk, alternative, my tastes were competely opposite of everyone else's, and my grandmother didn't mind as long as I let her listen to it first then I listened to it on my headphones. So she would listen to it, ask me what it was that attracted me to the music, and took an interest. She never banned anything, but she would say things like "Why don't you listen more to that nice Cure band, I like them better than Nine Inch Nails." She didn't like it, but she understood why I liked it. I do the same with the kids I work with.

I feel bad for those of you whose parents ban something without trying to understand it. I think if I did have a kid I would let them listen to whatever they wanted, as long as they shared it with me and told me why it meant so much to them. It would be a way for me to better bond with my child, and understand them more.
michellehail
Thinking Happy Thoughts
michellehail
November 17th, 2007 at 07:05pm
I totally agree with you guys. Since parents usually judge things by what they see.

That's why if my parents ever come to insulting MCR or something, i try to take the time to explain to them about their lyrics and stuff. But being parents, born in a different generation, they don't listen to me. xD
My dad calls it 'bubblegum music', and i have no idea why. He's still sticking to old country and classical music. xD He says Gerard chews on his words. I tell him that people have their own way of singing. 8D

At least my mom likes IDLY, at least she grew to like one song. My dad on the other hand gives me a weird look whenever i listen to MCR. lol.

Even if the 'parents' do not grow to like MCR, i really hope they understand what their message is and that they don't judge people by their covers and stuff, that's just crazy.

BTW, totally agree with psychochip, pheonix, and convicted killey. AND HOMG A MOM THAT UNDERSTANDS MCR.

-hugs-
Bleeding; Juliet
Motor Baby
Bleeding; Juliet
November 17th, 2007 at 09:28pm
i do definitely think parents do deserve a say into what we listen to or how we dresss

but they should only have a 20-40% say into was whe do;....

no dictate our styles~!
mental_scottish_lass
Joining The Black Parade
mental_scottish_lass
November 17th, 2007 at 09:40pm
OMG i just read someones coment about a phase....dont you just hate it when they tell you its a fase when you know that its not a phase and that it is truely one of the greatest things ever happened
Fading Sanity
Bleeding on the Floor
Fading Sanity
November 18th, 2007 at 04:44am
......Phoenix has a good point. My chem doesn't come off as particularly innocent. "and I think I'll blow my brains against the ceiling." - There's one of the many examples.
......This thread has brought up many good points. Parents shouldn't restrict their kids from liking a certain band. Or they should at least look deeper and find out more. If they did, they would find out that mcr is trying to save lives and is a great band.
......But as a first impression, would you blame them for being skeptical if the first title of a song they saw was "dead!" or "you know what they do to guys like us in prison"? Think about if you had a child and their favorite artist was 50 cent and they were playing songs like "Get low" "Hustler's Ambition" or "You a shooter"? You probably wouldn't be to pleased and may interpret the songs wrong because all you know is the title. (I'm not saying anything about 50 cent, I'm just using it as an example that a lot of people on here would be able to relate to and use it as a comparison to your parents hearing mcr and how they could possibly be viewing the band. please don't comment on your opinion about him )
......It is good that parents are taking interest in their children though. Like others have said, some parents just don't care. Isn't it good that our parents care?
......Okay, I won't rant any more. This is a rather endless battle that none of us can fight, but only hope to show our parents how mcr really is.
ciara.
Crash Queen
ciara.
November 18th, 2007 at 05:02am
My parents sometimes complain about how "obsessed" (as they say) I am on MCR. and that their music is noise.
But aside from that, they have nothing against them (at least now. they had a lot against them before)
Ah well. My dad even helps me find mcr merch a week ago. It's not like they started to like MCR too, it's just that maybe... they realized that they can't do anything about my "obsession" anymore.

Anyway, I don't think anyone should stop you for liking something, or even just bash you for liking something. That's just plain wrong. As long as you're not hurting someone or the thing doesn't push you to do something bad, they should leave us to like what we want to like. ><

EDIT: I really think parents should trust their children a bit more. It's not like we're only doing/liking things just because we're "in the phase".
JadeTiger712
Motor Baby
JadeTiger712
November 18th, 2007 at 05:23am
My dad is the main one who has a problem with the bands I like. About a year ago I really got into the screamo/hardcore/metal type of music. He always makes comments about my music but doesn't stop me from listening to it because most of the band I listen to is Christian.

The main thing he has a problem with is me listening to Avenged Sevenfold, mostly because I got really obsessed with them and he didn't me wearing the Deathbat. He watched the videos and flipped out on me about it. He has yet to discover MCR, but if he does that could be a issue.

I know my dad is looking out for me, but I am capable of making my own decissions and I think he has realized that I know what is right and wrong
mental_scottish_lass
Joining The Black Parade
mental_scottish_lass
November 18th, 2007 at 10:19pm
i think even with some of MCR's wording they are still very mild compared to avenged sevenfold lol
Reason.To.Believe
Joining The Black Parade
Reason.To.Believe
November 22nd, 2007 at 04:58pm
Phoenix:

[b]EDIT: God forbid the first thing your parents ever heard of MCR was "Mama".
"Mama, we all go to hell." ...and so on...
Good? I don't think so...

that was the first mcr song my family heard...
seriously.
I was listening to it and my mum came in and was like "what the fuck?!"
and i was like uhh...it's my chemical romance"
and she was like "i don't want you listening to them anymore"
i continued listening to them and she realised they're not as bad as she thought
but she'd prefer it if i listened to: Mika
Rihanna
Justin Timberlake etc
Like my sister does.
But whatever.
She actually likes a couple of their songs now
hairlikeray
Joining The Black Parade
hairlikeray
November 24th, 2007 at 12:21am
you know your right in a way but i also disagree cuz i get made fun of because i like mcr and this is one of mine and some other kids im sure way to vent the anger
so........
XDanni-DaydreamX
Killjoy
XDanni-DaydreamX
November 24th, 2007 at 05:36pm
I can understand a bit if parents don't like you listening to MCR because of say the lyrics (Mama we all go to hell), but I think if they understood the message that MCR gives to their fans, they might not be so strict.
My mom thought they were 'scary' at first, but once she properly listened their music, she likes them now.
She kind of has a crush on Gerard too, which I find [b]really[/i] freaky lol =D