Don't have an account? Create one!

Have They Lost Their Values?

AuthorMessage
Murderscene.
Fabulous Killjoy
Murderscene.
December 25th, 2007 at 07:02am
i agree and disagree at the same time if that makes sense.
i agree that gerard has changed and is currently going crazy. (lol)
i don't think they lost their values though. i don't think gerard has lost his values.
he's just going through a phase or something.
and i didn't like that interview. i got the whole "i couldn't care less" vibe from gerard but that doesn't mean that he's suddenly a bad guy.

that probably makes no sense.
Pixie-Gates
Awake and Unafraid
Pixie-Gates
December 25th, 2007 at 12:24pm
I've watched the interview, and honestly, I don't think it's as bad as whoever opened this topic was making out. Gerard didn't squirm at all. I think he was caught a bit off guard cos the questions were so unusual-they seemed to come out of nowhere. I think he actually appreciated getting asked something different to be honest, cos all the interviews recently seem to be like "So you got married! How's that going?"

It was a good interview. No matter what anyone's opinion of Gerard is, I think you should at least be able to acknowledge that he makes a lot of sense. The latter part about what is "cool" in music etc. was very well said. It's refreshing to me to see him still be able to speak to me, cos I've been a fan for a long time and I do think they've changed, but I don't feel it's the end of the world. Gee's words have meant more to me than I could possibly convey and so long as he can still affect me with them, I'm not worried.

The band's onstage demeanour may not be the same, and we may not get "inspirational speeches" anymore, but bear in mind the band's audience have completely changed. And without meaning to offend anyone, I don't think the new legion of squealing 11/12/13 year olds would be able to appreciate such messages completely. They're too young; they have so much yet to experience and live through. I think Gerard has noticed this and adapted his behaviour accordingly. You may ask, then, if he thinks it's appropriate to swear so much and say suggestive things like "I want to hear you all sound like you're fucking yourselves!" and no, I'm not condoning that. I don't particularly like that aspect of his onstage character. But when you're a 30 year old, looking out and seeing that a certain portion of your crowd are young enough to be your children, you're going to be a bit puzzled as to how to motivate them. But what will most youths respond to? Swearing and innuendo. It's sad but true.

I also think that Gee, and indeed the whole band, are suffering from something else that would seriously affect their behaviour-fatigue. They've never taken a break in the whole time they've been together. They went from touring to the studio to touring again, and especially after the drama surrounding the making of TBP, they could really do with a rest. They're worn down and weary and missing their loved ones, and with the romantic whirlwinds that some of them have been on recently, it's only natural to want a break to make sense of it all.

All in all, I really don't think the band's "change" is such a bad thing. No one can stay the same forever. I find they've matured a lot, and putting some distance between themselves and their fans is a very positive thing. When you write music that speaks so vividly to people, a lot of the listeners are going to get too attached. They feel like they own you, and they'll want things from you that you can't possibly give them. You need to show them that offstage, you're a completely different person, with a separate life that they can't play a part in. There was a time when I definitely needed to be told that, and I'm glad to see the boys are trying to establish some boundaries.

My personal opinion of Gerard has altered, I admit that, but I don't feel as let down as I could. Let's be honest-he may be my hero, but I don't know the man, I'm just a faceless stranger to him and I have no control over his life. So I refuse to get angry about things I can't possibly change and which, truthfully, don't affect me all that much. I expect professionalism and courtesy from him at gigs and if ever I am lucky enough to meet him, and that's it. His private demeanour doesn't concern me.

Finally, as for the length between now and the next album, they need the time off. They need to get out of the spotlight for a while before the pressure gets too intense. And I have about 25 other bands to keep me amused between now and whenever Part 4 in MCR's musical journey comes my way.

Apologies for the tangent. I'm outty. Smile
AAAU
Joining The Black Parade
AAAU
December 25th, 2007 at 03:14pm
^^that's rediculously well-said.
liveyourlife89
Fabulous Killjoy
liveyourlife89
January 7th, 2008 at 01:31am
I don't think they've lost their values. Maybe what Gerard said was just what he believes in, especially about the painter. If someone in a band is a rude person, it doesn't mean that everyone is going to stop liking the band. Some people may, but probably not everyone. Some people look past that stuff and focus on different aspects. Depends on the angle in which you view life.
x_pansy
Motor Baby
x_pansy
January 8th, 2008 at 12:42am
^^ Exactly
And he is actually right there
If it's all about the music then it shouldn't matter who the person making it is
and just because that is what he believes, doesn't mean he has lost his values and thinks he can do whatever he wants without effecting the music

For example, I'm not very fond at all of Bert McCracken, but even though I don't like him I still LOVE The Used to death. (no offence to any Bert lovers)
mr.ross
Jazz Hands
mr.ross
January 15th, 2008 at 06:59am
xox.gena.:
You guys ever wonder if they just ran out of things to say?
You can only go off on a subject for so long, and he's basically hit them all on the spot.
Wouldn't it be corny if he just went off about saving whales? (Good cause, though lol).

Honestly, I just think he's making up shit off the top of his head so the gig isn't full of just music.
I don't particularly approve of what he said, but honestly, it doesn't really offend me.

I agree entirely. It's like you just said what I was thinking as I read all these other posts. Don't tell me if you were in their position that you would not run out of things to say in six years. I'm not saying they're complete angels or anything like that because as people said, no one's perfect. Keep in mind that they are all almost in their thirties. It's not their fault that some innapropriate topics may come up. They're trying to keep everyone pumped up who's in the audience that feeds off of that kind of stuff. If you go to a show with your parents right next to you telling you that this is way to mature for you and that you shouldn't go to these things, here's a cool thought.....

DON'T GO. If it's going to be this much of a problem, why bother going and then complaining about it in these message boards saying that your "heroes" have lost their values.

[and sorry if I came off as a bitch. This is just getting annoying]
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
January 15th, 2008 at 04:40pm
They haven't lost anything.
A lot happens in 6 years;people change.

It's the fans that are losing faith in My Chem.
Franniestein
Salute You in Your Grave
Franniestein
January 15th, 2008 at 06:23pm
It's been said over and over again that fans are losing faith. But why is it? The Eliza scandal? The fact that MSI and MCR contradict? The fact that Gerard is becoming a worn down broken record?
Now you must be thinking that I'm just another jealous teenie or something.
But ever since The Black Parade came out something has not rubbed me right with these guys. Gerard has just annoyed me lately as if he's going through some mid-life crisis. I understand that they have changed. They're growing up and they should be more mature.
To bring up the topic of how inappropriate their shows can be, I've been to the shows and they're not that bad. But like Gerard has said he curses so much it makes him sound less intelligent. I have a little cousin who is in love with the band and I would hate for her to see them live, I don’t want her around that crowd. Their shows can be dangerous for the younger crowd, there are pictures of the band after a show with little kids who came to see them play and it surprises me. I believe that the youth should not be tainted till they can understand.
Don’t bash me because I’m no longer a die hard band who will yell if someone says Gerald’s not hawt!
I’ve been in love with this band for years, and lately I’ve been loving and hating them. I got their message and, they helped me so much with my life. I grew up with them in a sense. I don’t think there will ever be a band like them again. They started out trying to do good and set the right message. But they’re so run down from touring that Gerard keeps stumbling in interviews. I really want to see how many months they’ve actually played as a full band during this tour. They keep crumbling but they keep going. A break is the only answer to their problems and to the way us fans bicker.
Why is there such a separation between fans lately? I guess some fans are just Disenchanted.
There are the Bullets fans, the Revenge Fans and the newest Black Parade fans. When something you depended on for such a long time changes you handle it differently. Some rebel from it, some just accept it. I never liked the Black Parade stuff but I still say My Chem is my favorite band because they hold such a place in my heart.
Rose Red.
Jazz Hands
Rose Red.
January 15th, 2008 at 06:56pm
Sure MCR's shows may be full of swearing, sure MCR's shows may have some innapropriate material for younger kids, but come on guys, it's not like their Motley Crue or something. The aren't having strippers hanging from poles above the stage or taking drugs while their performing. Have they told everyone to go and take drugs, get wasted, or go and have underage sex? No. Try not comparing the new MCR shows to the old ones, and start comparing them to the shows of other big time artists. Are My Chem so very bad now?
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
January 15th, 2008 at 07:03pm
NO NO NO
they havent lost anything
the boys are great their values are greater then anything
i honestly hate threads like these
the boys have changes but to me there values havent been
lost.MCR is still as powerful and they always will be
cause there fans got there backs
LostMyFear_ofFalling
Joining The Black Parade
LostMyFear_ofFalling
January 19th, 2008 at 07:26pm
I honestly don't think Gerard or the band's values have been lost.
I don't think they're innappropriate or washed up.
I just think they need a break and some new material.
No, the Black Parade doesn't seem to be the favortie album of most fans, and I do agree that the music on TBP and the way the band performs it is....lackluster for lack of a better word. They just seem to not care quite as much when they're onstage as they used to. Maybe this is true, maybe it's not. It doesn't really matter. What matters is that they're still MCR at heart and I really doubt that they are so drastically changed that they're not going out and performing and writing music for the same reasons as they started to. Again, I just think they need a much deserved break from it all. As people have said before, the reason the shows have changed is because if Gerard continued to say the same messages over and over again, it would lose its meaning and the place it holds in our hearts. They would get old. Did you ever think that the band just wants to have some fun and let go as they round in on the end of their tour? This doesn't mean they've lost everything that they've stood for over the past years, it just means they're tired and what they really want to do is be with their wives and families. The Black Parade was a huge statement if nothing else. They wanted to change the face of music with the album, and it worked. Even though it wasn't the norm for MCR albums, artistically it was a huge success and something that the band was really passionate about. I completely enjoyed the album myself, and even though it didn't speak to me and I didn't connect with it quite as much as I did with the other albums, MCR once again created an album and music that is like no other band I've listened to. This is the number one reason I listen to this band, and although I love Gerard and his message, his behavior isn't going to change the way I view the band and his music. But in Gerard's defense, I think the new album will be like Bullets and Revenge more or less, and that once he's had a break he will come out with more material that we all love and his stage character will return to normal for the most part. How can you blame a man for growing up and changing? It's completely normal. We're all just freaking out over it because we watch every move that he makes and scrutinize it and criticize and jump to conclusions that are probably completely untrue. I believe that Gerard is exhausted and wants to start a life with his wife and that his stage persona and the way his behavior is viewed by fans has probably temporarily taken the back seat, which is completely accpetable in my opinion.
melodramatic fool
Salute You in Your Grave
melodramatic fool
January 19th, 2008 at 09:28pm
No.
Ludwig
Motor Baby
Ludwig
January 19th, 2008 at 11:06pm
I don't really see why Gee telling the audience to fake an orgasm and him preaching about self-respect in women are being contrasted. It only reminds me of Projekt Revolution, when he was telling guys in the audience to take off their shirts. He's always done something to get the audience involved. As for being inappropriate, although MCR obviously does have a lot of younger fans, *cough, cough* they're not Fall Out Boy.

And I didn't see any squirming in the interview.
MCR-crazy-94
Banned
MCR-crazy-94
July 7th, 2008 at 07:47am
The " I want to hear you fuck yourselves' thing is a JOKE. J-O-K-E.
You know he likes to say some random shit during live shows.
He had said in some interview that the response he's got from these questions (ie-girls screaming) really pisses him off.That makes him feel that the fact that he is hot overpowers the fact that he sings meaningful songs.I read it somewhere,its prolly here on the INO boards.
the desperate ranks.
Always Born a Crime
the desperate ranks.
July 7th, 2008 at 02:59pm
^ Yes, it is a joke. When he's on stage, he's just really crazy. He's not Gerard Way, really... he's a completely different guy on stage. I could see the reasons why people say it is inappropriate for him to tell the audience to "fuck themselves"... and it probably isn't totally appropriate, really.

But he does it to break the ice. He does this type of stuff so fans can loosen up and really listen to the lyrics. It may not be appropriate, but it's not like he's promoting anything bad... like drugs or violence or sex. He does it to tell his fans that it's Okay to be crazy, because he couldn't really care less what they think of him. Why should he?

Did he loose his values? Absolutely not. Of course he's changed... it's the process of growing older. He may not make life-changing statements on stage, because he doesn't need to. The meaning of the music does that for him. His presence on stage may be a little less appropriate, but he's probably just showing the people that hate him that he couldn't care less what their opinions are.

But I do think that they really, really need a break. They've been working nonstop for around seven years - making records and touring - they just never seem to stop. They seriously need some time off... whether it be two years, or whatever, they should just stop all of the madness and relax for themselves; for their families. Being that busy for that long can't be good for anyone.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 7th, 2008 at 03:07pm
just_another_cog:
When he's on stage, he's just really crazy. He's not Gerard Way, really... he's a completely different guy on stage. I could see the reasons why people say it is inappropriate for him to tell the audience to "fuck themselves"... and it probably isn't totally appropriate, really.

But he does it to break the ice. He does this type of stuff so fans can loosen up and really listen to the lyrics. It may not be appropriate, but it's not like he's promoting anything bad... like drugs or violence or sex. He does it to tell his fans that it's Okay to be crazy, because he couldn't really care less what they think of him. Why should he?

He does it because it's funny and because he expects us to be smart enough to understand what he means when he says shit. He very much cares what his fans think of him - the entire band does, why do you think we are so devoted to them? If someone is going to criticize the band baselessly, then the band says "fuck you." Anyway, what exactly do you deem "appropriate" at a rock-n-roll show? This isn't a Jonas Brothers concert here!

just_another_cog:
But I do think that they really, really need a break. They've been working nonstop for around seven years - making records and touring - they just never seem to stop. They seriously need some time off... whether it be two years, or whatever, they should just stop all of the madness and relax for themselves; for their families. Being that busy for that long can't be good for anyone.

The band is on break, and they are artists - artists do their art. Please for the love of all things holy, will everyone stop trying to force them all to rot on a couch in front of the tube? Their art keeps them alive; they selected partners for themselves who understand this. Being busy is a good thing - there's plenty of time to stop when you're dead (who said that anyway? Google didn't know.)
demolitionloversmway
Thinking Happy Thoughts
demolitionloversmway
July 7th, 2008 at 03:47pm
i saw that interview a while ago and i never noticed anything and so i watched it again.....stil didnt
i honextly dont think she was referencing him
one thing compared to all the other things that gee has said about women have been inspiring
about the rock star thing and if u watch lotms u can see how incredibly pissed he was about hose guys doing that
when gees up onstage hes, well, insane
half the time i dont think he thinks through or even really knows what hes saying cause hes so into it
i honestly do not think he meant that to be offensive or anything
not at all
but u know sometimes people slip up...no ones perfect
gee says some bizarre stuff on stage
he goes into another world
stop over thinking it
the guys human
demolitionloversmway
Thinking Happy Thoughts
demolitionloversmway
July 7th, 2008 at 03:49pm
MCR-crazy-94:
The " I want to hear you fuck yourselves' thing is a JOKE. J-O-K-E.
You know he likes to say some random shit during live shows.
He had said in some interview that the response he's got from these questions (ie-girls screaming) really pisses him off.That makes him feel that the fact that he is hot overpowers the fact that he sings meaningful songs.I read it somewhere,its prolly here on the INO boards.

exactly
people need to stop reading into and over analyzing everything single thing he says
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 7th, 2008 at 04:00pm
demolitionloversmway:
People need to stop reading into and overanalyzing everything single thing he says
A-fucking-men!!!!!
the desperate ranks.
Always Born a Crime
the desperate ranks.
July 7th, 2008 at 05:29pm
Deb:
He does it because it's funny and because he expects us to be smart enough to understand what he means when he says shit. He very much cares what his fans think of him - the entire band does, why do you think we are so devoted to them? If someone is going to criticize the band baselessly, then the band says "fuck you." Anyway, what exactly do you deem "appropriate" at a rock-n-roll show? This isn't a Jonas Brothers concert here!

I'm sorry... that's not what I meant. Of course he cares about what the fans think; he loves and respects us all. I meant that he really doesn't give a shit about what the haters of their band think. Also, when I said it wasn't appropriate... the fact of the matter is, there are young kids going to these concerts, and it isn't the best thing to tell the audience to fake an orgasm when they're there. I really don't mind it at all, but there are some people that don't want their kids affected by it. That's all I meant.

Deb:
The band is on break, and they are artists - artists do their art. Please for the love of all things holy, will everyone stop trying to force them all to rot on a couch in front of the tube? Their art keeps them alive; they selected partners for themselves who understand this. Being busy is a good thing - there's plenty of time to stop when you're dead (who said that anyway? Google didn't know.)!

Yes, their art keeps them alive, and yes, it is good to be busy most of the time... but it would be all very hectic and crazy and intense. Right now they are taking a break, which is great. They need it. They just need to wind down for a little while and spend time with their wives and family - to be on vacation for just a little bit. I'm sure all the publicity gets old.

And of course they'll still be working on some of their new album... it's what they love to do. They just need time doing other things they love.

I'm really sorry if I upset you, or anyone... because that's definitely not what I'm aiming for. I just wanted to clear up my point. I didn't explain it very well.