Don't have an account? Create one!

Middle-School Romance

AuthorMessage
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
October 15th, 2009 at 05:45pm
I dated a boy for around nine months last year, in grade 8.
Do I think it was love? No.
Did I like him a lot? Yes.
I think that it depends on the maturity of the student. If they want to date someone, let them. It's really not anyone else problem.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
October 16th, 2009 at 01:04pm
Broadway Calls:
I dated a boy for around nine months last year, in grade 8.
Do I think it was love? No.
Did I like him a lot? Yes.
I think that it depends on the maturity of the student. If they want to date someone, let them. It's really not anyone else problem.

good point, but I still think that with 99 percent of people it's really pointless. It ends anyway, and alota kids just do it because they want to have the experience that they "went Out" with someone under their belts. some want to feel older,some want to have that experience, some want to feel cooler, and maybe some want to fit in. of course there are a few people out there who meet and go out in junior high and eventually marry when they're adults, but all or most of those cases that I heard of resulted in divorce and/or cheating. I believe that if you marry someone you've dated and known since middle school, that is a cursed/doomed relationship right there! if it doesn't already kill itself in junior high, it'll die off sooner or later!
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
October 16th, 2009 at 07:44pm
Darkromance:

good point, but I still think that with 99 percent of people it's really pointless. It ends anyway, and alota kids just do it because they want to have the experience that they "went Out" with someone under their belts. some want to feel older,some want to have that experience, some want to feel cooler, and maybe some want to fit in. of course there are a few people out there who meet and go out in junior high and eventually marry when they're adults, but all or most of those cases that I heard of resulted in divorce and/or cheating. I believe that if you marry someone you've dated and known since middle school, that is a cursed/doomed relationship right there! if it doesn't already kill itself in junior high, it'll die off sooner or later!
I don't think it's a bad thing to want that though. You don't have to end up married and stay together for years for a relationship to mean something.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
October 16th, 2009 at 08:00pm
True. Nor do I think you should stop being with a person simply because you have been with them since a young age and all the other relationships like that fail (generalizing is usually bad by the way). I can't imagine using that excuse to someone I cared about.

You have relationships with people because you care about them, not because you want the spend the rest of your lives together. Not always, anyway.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
October 17th, 2009 at 09:27pm
Right. If I waited until I found who I want to be with for the rest of my life before I dated anyone, I would have no idea what I was doing or what I wanted from someone.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
October 17th, 2009 at 09:28pm
Darkromance:
Simply untrue, sorry to tell you.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 18th, 2009 at 09:30pm
Darkromance:
What's wrong with wanting to have that experience?

No one gets it right the first time, at least very little people do. The majority of people experience having relationships as just a part of their life. That's the fun of it. Most people experiment, some just experiment younger than others.

Adult relationships can screw up, too. I just look around me at my parent's friends and about half of them are divorced, and virtually none of them were high school sweethearts. Divorce and relationships breaking up will happen if the couple is incompatible or something causes a rift between them, irrespective of their age.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
October 19th, 2009 at 01:33pm
not necessarily bad to want the experience, but its still a reason
xoxomycemxoxo
Killjoy
xoxomycemxoxo
November 15th, 2009 at 09:25pm
its hard watching someone u r in love with hav a girlfriend already. even though the relationship only lasted 4 days, it killed me just to think about it
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
November 25th, 2009 at 05:05pm
I think while there's a chance love can exist in a middle-school relationship, teenagers aren't yet emotionally mature enough to make decisions older couples could. As in, while they could have strong feelings for the person, even love them, they should be careful in say, deciding to have sex.

thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
November 25th, 2009 at 07:08pm
xoxomycemxoxo:
its hard watching someone u r in love with hav a girlfriend already. even though the relationship only lasted 4 days, it killed me just to think about it

lol I'm really sorry for asking this, but are you trolling or are you serious? You sort of just exemplified the whole side of the argument saying that middle school romance is NOT legit.
Break Me Down
Fabulous Killjoy
Break Me Down
November 25th, 2009 at 07:23pm
It's not exactly "love" or "legit" at all. Yeah, boyfriend and girlfriends at middle school can be cute and it's sort of a fad. In my opinion, it's too much drama. They can do what they want, mess around and have fun, but when they say they're in "love", I have to laugh. They're obviously not ready.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
November 25th, 2009 at 08:06pm
the_not_okay_kid:
It's not exactly "love" or "legit" at all. Yeah, boyfriend and girlfriends at middle school can be cute and it's sort of a fad. In my opinion, it's too much drama. They can do what they want, mess around and have fun, but when they say they're in "love", I have to laugh. They're obviously not ready.

You surely don't mean all the time do you? I mean, I'm well aware of just how many teenagers say they are in love and are not, but I don't think that necessarily means it's never love.
vampirate516
Fabulous Killjoy
vampirate516
December 8th, 2009 at 10:26pm
I honestly think at that age a kid can not understand or comprehend the complexity of "true love" or a relationship. I remember what "relationships" were like in middle school, they are all the same! Looking back, i know i nor any of my peers could understand what it was really like or how to go about it. 10-14 year olds have no expierence in this area and highly doubt they would have a functional long lasting relationship.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 9th, 2009 at 03:04am
vampirate516:
10-14 year olds have no expierence in this area and highly doubt they would have a functional long lasting relationship.
The only way to gain experience is by experiencing something. Just a thought.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
December 9th, 2009 at 06:35am
I have to agree with Mindfuck, there's no reason relationships should not be pursued simply because the people involved are young.
not every relationship has to be completely serious or tun into love.
and youth is a good time to learn from relationships.
there's not much reason for relationships to be serious then. you won't be starting a family, and you'll feel no real desire for an intelligent serious relationship.
I'm not promoting 10-14 year olds to have a bunch of flings, just not to expect a huge amount from every relationship they are in.
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
December 22nd, 2009 at 06:22pm
I just think that, just because the person is young, doesn't mean it can't be love. Most of the time, it falls apart, but then, how many adults does that happen to? It doesn't mean you can't be in love, just because you are 14 or whatever.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
December 22nd, 2009 at 08:06pm
vampirate516:
I honestly think at that age a kid can not understand or comprehend the complexity of "true love" or a relationship. I remember what "relationships" were like in middle school, they are all the same! Looking back, i know i nor any of my peers could understand what it was really like or how to go about it. 10-14 year olds have no expierence in this area and highly doubt they would have a functional long lasting relationship.
Middle school romances aren't really meant to last long. You're acting like people who get in a relationship have to love each other eternally forever and ever and ever and they have to stay in a long-term relationship. This is how tweens test their waters, it's not about longterm love, it's about trying out things they like and dislike. It's how they find their so-called "true love". Sure, it can last on into high school, and it has happened at least once in history so it's not absolutely profound and out there. It all depends on how things work out in the long run.

They call it "true love", but it doesn't have to be, really. Just because they say it doesn't mean it's really wrong. They're young and naive, they should enjoy it while they can. Obviously their love isn't marriage-type real, but what's wrong with letting them think it?
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
December 22nd, 2009 at 08:43pm
Not many people can actually say that they went all through high school, (im from the UK, so im not sure what ages middle school covers) without going through some sort of romantic relationship, and most adults turn out okay, These experiences are part of growing up, and they shape people and prepare them for the relationships there pretty much certain to have after school, so personally i think, whats the harm?
allthistime;
Jazz Hands
allthistime;
December 22nd, 2009 at 11:55pm
i think that with certain people who have certain maturity levels, the relationship can be legit. for example, one of my best friends from middle school dated a guy pretty much our entire 8th grade year, and she is still dating him. that was serious. that is serious. my brother dated a girl for about three months. it wasn't legit. he was just 'dating' her to 'date' her. they didn't hold hands. they didn't hug. they stood on completely opposite sides of the playground. didn't eat lunch together. they didn't talk on the phone. they didn't go out. they didn't even take the time to send each other a good night text. in all reality, they probably didn't like each other much in the first place.

what i'm trying to say is that yes, many relationships in middle school aren't legit. but there are some that really are. it really depends on the matureness of the couple, and their willingness to treat it like a real relationship imo.