Don't have an account? Create one!

Middle-School Romance

AuthorMessage
Gerard Way Jr
Killjoy
Gerard Way Jr
May 27th, 2008 at 01:53pm
Sharpie High:
Well, I feel that it differs from person to person. Most kids these days don't see relationships as "Looking for the person to spend the rest of your life with" they see them as fun hanging out with someone who's "more than a friend", but I do think, in some cases, that there are kids in middle school who understand what it means to truly love someone. Love is a word people throw around way to often these days. So much so, that it's lost it's meaning, the same goes for hate. In most cases it's not love....more like... "a friend with benefits". This is kinda off topic but, I also think that it's stupid to put an age limit on who you can love...I think at a certain point, age becomes just a number. I mean there is a point where I feel it becomes "wrong". Like my geography teacher...his dad is 80 and he's married to a 21 year old. I can't say exactly when it becomes wrong but I have heard so many times things like "half your age + ____." or "Nobody 3 years older or younger." I feel that's complete and total bullshit. If you limit yourself to an age range of who you can date, how will you know for sure if you have the right one? I'm not one of those people who think that "there's someone out there for everyone", but I do like to have the feeling as though the right person for me could be anyone in the world.

Dance

Hear, hear. I agree completely. It really does take a more mature middle schooler to even know what 'love' means; half the time their 'relationships' are utter and complete crap. Much of the time, it's just for the thrill in braggin about having a girl/boyfriend or for the make outs. Please.

Overall, I think that most middle schoolers haven't a clue as to what love really is. However, there are and have been (and will be, etc) the more mature kids who *do* know what they're doing.

GWJ
hunteri heroici.
Always Born a Crime
hunteri heroici.
June 5th, 2008 at 02:17pm
I believe middle school relationships are okay only when the couple understands that they cannot love each other from the first day or week.
It's not a matter of age.
It's a matter of maturity.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
June 7th, 2008 at 09:27pm
I actually know a couple that has been married for over 20 years and met in middle school. anything is possible.
I have noticed just through being close with my little sister that most middle school relationships are just to look cool, the couples just kiss and walk around school together, but anything is possible
eeniemeeni
Killjoy
eeniemeeni
June 8th, 2008 at 02:04pm
there's this girl I know, she's the same age as me and we are both in elementary school and she and this guy are on again off again. I had boyfriends allthrough preschool, kindergarten, first grade (we'd hold hands and do puzzles and stuff) but she and the guy MAKE OUT. she told me he gave her tongue. he broke up w/ her and like, she's really miserable about it. this idiot is always giving her a hard time about it.
Plague Rat
Jazz Hands
Plague Rat
June 8th, 2008 at 08:42pm
I think that age has nothing to do with it . If you in a maturity level when you are capable of a better understanding of love . then go for . love is love it's not like when you turn 17 and get a drivers license .
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
June 8th, 2008 at 09:05pm
I agree that it's not so much a matter of age, as a matter of maturity. For instance, I have younger sister who's in grade 6, and she's had several boyfriends but obviously none of them have really meant anything to her. She certainly didn't love any of them, though when she's with the person it's always like "I love ____" in her MSN name. However, I think there are some middle schoolers who are mature enough to understand what love is and what a relationship really is. For most of them, I think it's just a fun thing to have, though.

On the other hand, there are kids my age and older who throw around relationships the same way. It's all a matter of whether the person is mature enough to understand what love and relationships mean.
I'm Not Okay90
Fabulous Killjoy
I'm Not Okay90
June 15th, 2008 at 01:05am
I don't like it cause like when I was in 8th Grade, I liked this guy and now we like hate each other. It usually doesn't last :/
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
June 24th, 2008 at 09:55am
I don't think there's anything wrong with dating in middle school, except for most of those relationships last about 2 weeks and don't mean anything. Obviously, most of those relationships aren't about love, some middle schoolers just date because its "cool". The good thing about it is when they are mature enough to handle a real, serious relationship, they already had some experience with dating.
NJ Sucess Story
Jazz Hands
NJ Sucess Story
June 26th, 2008 at 12:59pm
Middle school is kind of ridiculious, but not as ridiculious as SOME thing I've seen

ex. When I was in 4th grade, I knew a girl in 3rd grade who had a 'boyfriend' who was in the 2nd grade.

Jesus. That's not a relationship, stop pretending. It's basically showing that in the future, they'll be the girls who have a different boyfriend every few days, and are considered the skanks, and such.

But sometimes middle school relationships work out.
I know a woman who's been dating her [now] husband since 7th grade, and there are 2 seniors in my school who have been dating since the 5th grade.

So, this is up in the air. really.
demon dean
Always Born a Crime
demon dean
July 20th, 2008 at 01:57pm
i just think it depends on how much you care for that person.
age/grade shouldnt matter, i just think that feelings (true ones) should. like, this girl i used to be friends with and her then boyfriend started dating in november of 6th grade and didnt brake up for almost a year. he broke up with her 3 weeks before their 1 year anniversary. and they were only 12. so, it shows two younger people can care for eachother deeply enough to hold together a relationship, i guess.
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 20th, 2008 at 05:49pm
I think it's kinda pathetic becasue all those people like each other for is looks. there isn't any real love involved. i think when your a sophmore in high school or even a junior is when the real stuff happens. I mean think about it...It's really random if someone marrys the person they met in middle school. Plus, the relationships don't even last long....
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 20th, 2008 at 07:10pm
Even if you're not in a serious relationship having a 'boyfriend' or a 'girlfriend' in middle school or early high school is still important. You get experience and it helps you learn how a relationship works. And even if it's just for fun, there's really no harm in that (unless they start having sex.)
As far as this thing about 'true feelings', it's really very confusing. You may honest to god think you are in love, and not be. It's easy to confuse a crush and infatuation with true love. (For all you know it is true love, after all if you've never been in 'love' then how can you distinguish between the two?) It's also really easy for older people to dismiss it as a crush or puppy love, but it's still a strong feeling even if it's not 'true love'.
When you're that age, you're either starting puberty or still going through it or maybe just finishing it, but either way your hormones are going wild and so are your feelings.
This is coming from a girl who's never even been on a date, so I really don't know what I'm talking about, and I'm probably wrong.
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 20th, 2008 at 08:19pm
Eponine:
Even if you're not in a serious relationship having a 'boyfriend' or a 'girlfriend' in middle school or early high school is still important. You get experience and it helps you learn how a relationship works. And even if it's just for fun, there's really no harm in that (unless they start having sex.)
As far as this thing about 'true feelings', it's really very confusing. You may honest to god think you are in love, and not be. It's easy to confuse a crush and infatuation with true love. (For all you know it is true love, after all if you've never been in 'love' then how can you distinguish between the two?) It's also really easy for older people to dismiss it as a crush or puppy love, but it's still a strong feeling even if it's not 'true love'.
When you're that age, you're either starting puberty or still going through it or maybe just finishing it, but either way your hormones are going wild and so are your feelings.
This is coming from a girl who's never even been on a date, so I really don't know what I'm talking about, and I'm probably wrong.
No, no. I see what your saying. I agree. The whole getting to know how to date and everything is true. I completely agree.
Don't feel bad I've never been on a date either. I might be wrong as well.
I've only crushed on people, so I'm not a hundred percent sure either.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 20th, 2008 at 08:52pm
I don't necessarily think dating in middle school is important. There are heaps of people who go through highschool without boyfriends or girlfriends and I don't see how that can impair your ability to date and hold onto relationships in the adult world.

I used to date in highschool - not with boys who went to my school, mind - and now that I'm an 'adult', I don't feel like my dating experience when I was younger helped at all. A lot of the relationships that go down in highschool (especially between younger teens such as 13 / 14) are quite immature, and (from experience) I would say most of them are based more on physical appearance more than anything (I am just generalising here based on my experience - I am not saying every single highschool romance is like this).

As you get older and you experience more (not just in the realm of dating and love), you start to see things differently. And I know that my view of love and lust when I was 13 and 14 is vastly different to how I see it now.
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 20th, 2008 at 11:29pm
That's how I saw it. I saw around me at my school that the reason everyone was going out was because they were only going for the looks. I think people should see the real person behind the looks. But I think you learn that when you get older. At least that's what people say.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 20th, 2008 at 11:38pm
Like other people said you can learn to see past people's looks as you grow up, when your in middle school it's just harmless fun.
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 20th, 2008 at 11:43pm
That's true.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 21st, 2008 at 01:12pm
Ignore
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 21st, 2008 at 01:23pm
Alan Carr:

Im sorry, I have an opinion im just not sure how old 6 - 8 graders are..

Im from the UK and we dont have "grades" here. I f someone can tell me I'll edit this post with my opinion.

It's usually about 11-14 years old.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 21st, 2008 at 01:28pm
Ignore.