Don't have an account? Create one!

Race Change

AuthorMessage
Way1203
Fabulous Killjoy
Way1203
December 6th, 2007 at 11:18am
I didn't think this belonged in the racism topic but if it does, you're welcome to shut it down.

Nowadays, people are having surgeries and using skin products so that they can look like a different race. People are changing thier noses, eye shapes, and style so they can seem more "white" Taking extra measures to make their skin is lighter so as to avoid stereotypes and race issues.

Is race change okay? Is it shallow?
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
December 6th, 2007 at 01:52pm
Hmm...I do often wish I looked more like a different race, however, these are extreme measures.
However, I don't really find it shallow, I guess I see it along the same lines as gender change and things like that.
TaraIsBack!
Bleeding on the Floor
TaraIsBack!
December 6th, 2007 at 02:38pm
My friend's Uncle met a Vietnamese woman while he was fighting over in the war. The ended up falling in love and got married. She moved to the States and had surgery to make her look more "American".
I never knew she had it done until a couple of years ago (I've known her for about 20 years now), but I have to admit that it lessened my opinion of her at first.
She is very rich in her roots, even teaching them to all 4 of the kids that her and her husband have, so I cannot understand why she would have wanted to have the surgery anyway.
I can understand that cosmetic surgery cannot change bone structure, but she still looks very Vietnamese to me.
Maybe she did it because after the Vietnam war, Vietnamese people were not accepted socially in this country. Maybe she thought she *had* to have it. I really don't know the reasoning.
All I know is that regardless of what race she looks, she has always been a beautiful person and very kind.
dom howard.
Banned
dom howard.
December 6th, 2007 at 05:47pm
Well I hate being half black and I try to completly get rid of that me. I straighten my hair to look more "white". I hate getting my hair braided. I don't like telling people I'm half black. I get all tense when people acknowledge the fact that I'm half black but that's something I'm not going to change. God made us the way we are for a reason, and frankly I think we should just deal with it. Race shouldn't matter. Skin colour isn't everything, funnily enough.

I think skin bleachers should be banned and only used if you have vilitigo, to even out the skin.

I can understand why people wanna be something their not, but we just have to love ourselves for who we are.
HedleyandMCR'sangel
Killjoy
HedleyandMCR'sangel
December 6th, 2007 at 09:48pm
I don't know why people can't love themself for who they are, not what thay are. I'm right against surgeries.
I mean, sometimes you need surgery, but just to have surgery to be thinner(unless you're like 100 pounds over weigh, that I could handle) or whiter(this that a word) or something like that, I just find that shallow and pointless.
dom howard.
Banned
dom howard.
December 8th, 2007 at 07:14am
I mean, I have nothing against cosmetic surgery, but if you really must do it, go ahead... >.>
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
December 8th, 2007 at 09:00am
danye west.:
Well I hate being half black and I try to completly get rid of that me. I straighten my hair to look more "white". I hate getting my hair braided. I don't like telling people I'm half black. I get all tense when people acknowledge the fact that I'm half black but that's something I'm not going to change. God made us the way we are for a reason, and frankly I think we should just deal with it. Race shouldn't matter. Skin colour isn't everything, funnily enough.

I think skin bleachers should be banned and only used if you have vilitigo, to even out the skin.

I can understand why people wanna be something their not, but we just have to love ourselves for who we are.

I'm like that.

I hate being 'half cast'.
I hate it even more that my friends don't stop rubbing it in.

It sounds silly, but I don't feel... normal.
Not when I'm in a mainly white country anyway.
dom howard.
Banned
dom howard.
December 8th, 2007 at 09:04am
Same here. I totally hate it. Why can't I be one race >_> Especially when I'm refered as "half-cast" by people. Makes me feel like I'm half a person. Hmph.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
December 8th, 2007 at 09:33am
danye west.:
Same here. I totally hate it. Why can't I be one race >_> Especially when I'm refered as "half-cast" by people. Makes me feel like I'm half a person. Hmph.

I just hate it being an issue.
You never look at a white person and think 'Oh, they're white' but if they're Asian or whatever, you notice it and question it.

xdown-a-loaded-gunx
Killjoy
xdown-a-loaded-gunx
December 25th, 2007 at 06:22pm
danye west.:

I'm mixed race, too. I hate it when people think I'm black, and associate me with all the other black girls in our school who listen to rap and rnb and stuff. My mum has some black friends who don't think it's appropriate for me to dress the way I do and listen to music like MCR.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
December 25th, 2007 at 07:16pm
Hey I think its fine.
Its just how a person wants to look, perhaps it will
Make them feel better
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
December 26th, 2007 at 01:09pm
I think it should be taken the smae as any other form of cosmetic surgery,

if the person feels that it will make them feel better about themselves then why not?

if its because they arte suffering racism then its a shame that they should feel pressurised into such extreme measure

but to be honest i dont think racists or racism will ever completly go away, its just something modern people have to deal with.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
December 26th, 2007 at 06:01pm

I think race change is totally up to the indivual and how 'needed' they feel it is. If their race is really making them feel miserable and worthless, then the option to change and love yourself more should always be there.

However, I think that people really need to consider before doing it. It shouldn't be done on a 'wim' and you should be sure there is a reason behind it other than wanting to be paler or darker. If you try to love yourself how you are but still feel your race is an issue to you personally (other people shouldn't matter in your decsion as, by changing, you let them defeat you) then it should be avaliable to help.

Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
December 26th, 2007 at 07:38pm
Painful Reality:

I think race change is totally up to the indivual and how 'needed' they feel it is. If their race is really making them feel miserable and worthless, then the option to change and love yourself more should always be there.

However, I think that people really need to consider before doing it. It shouldn't be done on a 'wim' and you should be sure there is a reason behind it other than wanting to be paler or darker. If you try to love yourself how you are but still feel your race is an issue to you personally (other people shouldn't matter in your decsion as, by changing, you let them defeat you) then it should be avaliable to help.

Agreed. So many people do not take many things into consideration though
xxWolvenPrincessxx
Joining The Black Parade
xxWolvenPrincessxx
August 14th, 2008 at 08:46am
I think that race change is shallow, I mean u were born the way that you are for a reason and people are stupid if they can't accept that.
neville longbottom.
Banned
neville longbottom.
August 14th, 2008 at 09:06am
^ Does that mean people who change gender are shallow? I don't see a problem with it personally. If that person wants to look a certain way. Who are we to stop them?
Battery Acid
Salute You in Your Grave
Battery Acid
August 14th, 2008 at 10:06am
I AGREE. ^
IT'S JUST LIKE PLASTIC SURGERY, THE MOTIVES ARE JUST SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT. I THINK IT'S PERFECTLY FINE.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
August 14th, 2008 at 11:35am

There's no actuall thing as "race change" your race isnt determined by the way you look. Things such as mannerisms,traditions and beliefs also are a part of the thing we call race. Race is more a cultural thing than it is a superficial thing.

If i had surgery to make my eyes a bit more rounder, yes i may have rounder eyes but at the end of the day im still asian with all my culture, beliefs and religious convitions that ive been brought up with.

blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 14th, 2008 at 09:08pm
Bernie Mac.:

That's wrong. I know lots of mixed people and I would never say something like that to them.
Technically speaking we're all mixed. (In America) No one is a 'pure' anything anymore.

Personally I would never want to change my race, but if someone really wants to it is their decision. They should definitely think it over a lot though and not rush into it.
Elsa
Fabulous Killjoy
Elsa
August 16th, 2008 at 08:27am
double o sevenfold.:

thank god im not the only one. i usually hide behind a lot of make up.