Don't have an account? Create one!

Phobias?

AuthorMessage
Patrick Martin Stump
Motor Baby
Patrick Martin Stump
January 15th, 2008 at 03:24pm
I've suffered from emetophobia for pretty much all my life. I'm being treated for it, but I still feel like I'm kind of...a freak. I'm becoming really obsessive with washing my hands and shit like that. I just want to know, has anyone else been through something like this? Has anyone here got a fear of something that they just find overwhelming?

For those peeps that don't know what emetophobia is, here's a link: http://www.emetonline.co.uk/aboutemet/index.asp
Freddy
Always Born a Crime
Freddy
January 16th, 2008 at 08:00am
i have the washing my hands thing too.
not all the time, it comes in bouts.
obviously i always wash my hands after the bathroom or whatever, but sometimes i'll have to wash them over and over, because im also afraid of odd numbers. if they dont feel clean after washing them twice, ill have to wash them once more, but then thats three times so i'll have to do it again.

stuff like that...
it does get pretty out of hand sometimes though
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
January 16th, 2008 at 11:00am
I have an extreme fear of moths and butterflies (long story). I'm working very hard at overcoming it, but once a huge moth flew into our car as we were driving away from a restaurant and I opened the door and leapt from the moving vehicle. It was pretty bad. It was then that I realized how bad it was interfering with my day to day life if I was willing to risk life and limb. I made the decision to overcome it. Still no where near totally over it, but I have gained a little more control over my fears.

It get's really hard managing your fear when it seems no one else has it and don't understand. Life can become challenging and people can be harsh.
Griffin's Gunn.
Jazz Hands
Griffin's Gunn.
January 16th, 2008 at 12:52pm
I have the fear of mirrors, windows, hallways and corners. All of them come at night. I will NEVER look into a mirror at night. I will never walk down a hallway at night, and I dont even face the direction of a window at night. Even if the blinds are closed. I am terrifyed of what I might see. Every night I just leap onto my bed and shut my eyes, too scared to open them.
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
January 16th, 2008 at 01:26pm
I have an intense fear of sharks. I didnt think it was that bad, so when my little cousin asked if we could walk through the shark tunnel at the aquarium I said ok, thinking I would be fine. I actually had a meltdown. I fell to the floor and just cried. I kept my eyes shut so I wouldnt see the sharks surrounding me. Someone called security, and they came and rushed me out. They had to call the peremedics to make sure that I was ok.

Me + sharks = Bad bad things.
gerardmabbitt.
Salute You in Your Grave
gerardmabbitt.
January 16th, 2008 at 04:36pm
It's probably a common thing, but.
I'm absolutly terrified on the sea.
I think it's because I'm scared of what's in the sea, such as: Sharks, but I won't even go near the sea if it isn't invested with anything.
I remember a few years back, someone went in the sea and she was the only person so I started to watch her and then all of a sudden she just went further and further out and she couldn't hear people yelling her or anything and it was just terrifying, even though I didn't even know that woman I just cried my eyes out so much and I had to be taken back to the Hotel we were staying in.
Oh, God. It's so awful.
So, that's why I'm scared to go on ships aswell.
Whenever I see an advert for a cruise on television I go crazy. I hate it.
joni.
Shotgun Sinner
joni.
January 16th, 2008 at 08:52pm
I am absolutely positively terrified of Ketchup.
I won't even open the fridge if I know there's a bottle of it in there.
and if any gets close to me I start to hyperventilate.
Lunch at school is absolutely terrible
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
January 18th, 2008 at 07:48am
hey,
just thinking, with the washing the hands thing, that might be obsessive compulsive disorder (ocd) which is a form of an anxiety problem. (i have ocd & sufffer from panic attacks. and my mum works for mental health aust. so i know a bit bout these sorta things).

i have a fear of flowers. lol. i have no idea how i got it, but they freak me out to the max. i cannot touch them. looking is ok... but if someone comes near me with one, i have a panic attack. my formal was fun... my date bought me a corsage. hahahaha!
<3
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
January 18th, 2008 at 01:49pm
oh god i have too many fears and phobias really,

i absolutely hate needles, we had to go and get our holiday jabs recently and i literally was running round the room from the nurse crying my eyes out, when i've been in hospital before its taken like 4 nurses to pin me down to the bed to put a drip in me.

I also have a really bad fear of flying, started when i was dead little amd i had a major panic attack on a plane when i was like 6, i'm a bit better now and i know how to control the fear and i will actually fly but i am always rather tense

i also have a fear of fans, like the ones that blow cold air i hate the feel of the air, and if i feel it on my face i freak out,

My biggest one though is anything to do with vomit (isnt that what emetophobia is?, wasnt sure) and absoluelty anything to do with it freaks me out, Idk where anyone else comes from but in the uk everyones going on about this winter vomiting illness thing and even seeing the news reposrt on the telly freaked me out.
If i see someone be sick on the telly i have to turn it off and the other day i wouldnt even sit next to my best mate because his sister had been sick that morining. I had a massive panic attack because when another one of my mates said she felt sick she started following me pretending to puke on me. And i f i see somone actually puke i really tense up and have to cover my eyes and ears and run away, When my stepdad threw up last year i moved out of the house for three days.

I'm a freak Smile
icyblues
Motor Baby
icyblues
January 18th, 2008 at 04:35pm
Edited by a moderator:
Don't just say what your phobia is.
There's a thread for that in the Chamber.
LittleSydneyScissors
Jazz Hands
LittleSydneyScissors
January 19th, 2008 at 06:02pm
I have a horrible fear of open water.
It's like I'm trapped in just a big sea of...nothingness.
Like if I am swimming near a boat, and can't see the end of the ocean or the shore, then I will freak out and want to climb back on the boat.
never coming home.
Bleeding on the Floor
never coming home.
January 20th, 2008 at 12:32pm
---I think that phobias can get way out of hand and really mess with people's lives. Here's a list of phobias if anyone wants them. If people get help earlier on they'll probably get rid of their phobia or at least make it less severe.
Im Not Okay!!
Killjoy
Im Not Okay!!
January 27th, 2008 at 04:58pm
all my life i thought i had a bad fear of spiders but no i relise im more scared of the cobwebs then the spiders... i dont get it!
Missing
Killjoy
Missing
January 28th, 2008 at 03:44pm
I get totaly freaked out from needles i know its quite common but whenever people mention one or i see somthing that so much even remotley resembles one i freak out and start rubbing my wrists and my neck
mcrfanwhore101
Killjoy
mcrfanwhore101
January 28th, 2008 at 08:17pm
I can stand needles. Blood gore all that is fine. I'm actually known for being secretly morbid. But one thought of the ocean freaks me out! This summer I thought it would be okay to face my fee. So I had my two best friends on eather side of me and we walked up to the water and they started running with me into the water. I had a huge panic attack and I couldnt stop crying for a few hours. My friends didn't know it was that bad so I forgave them. I think I'm mostly terrified of giant squid. They freak me out. I told my mom about tv attack (she is a phsyc major) and she said that everybody has situations they are uncomfortable with. I also have symataform disorder. Its where I here of a sickness than I believe I hve It. Sometimes its so intense I vomit or drive my body into overdrive of panic attacks causing me to become ill.

I think everybody is scared of one thing or another.

I'm scared of a lot of stuff.
mcrfanwhore101
Killjoy
mcrfanwhore101
January 28th, 2008 at 08:21pm
orry about spelling errors. I'm still getting used to typing on my phone.
mcrfanwhore101
Killjoy
mcrfanwhore101
January 28th, 2008 at 08:22pm
orry about spelling errors. I'm still getting used to typing on my phone.
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
January 31st, 2008 at 01:25am
I have a fear of thin or not 100%-secure surfaces that they put over unmended manholes & stuff. (planks, metal sheets etc) or even the grills they put over drains. even if the drain is tiny I still hv to avoid it.

My parents told me that when i was little, i nearly fell into a hole covered by a shaky surface, but they grabbed hold of me in time. I don't have a memory of that but I guess it got buried in my subconscious.

I dunno if maybe ur emetophobia is solely that, or part of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). I'd advise u to seek professional help - ther's nothing to be ashamed of. Get advice or help from someone who knows in-depth abt conditions like this. That wd be the wisest thing to do. Or maybe try looking for forums with feedback and anecdotes on how to overcome such habits.

Good luck! we're with you all the way
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 31st, 2008 at 02:29am

I remember doing a speech about this, the thing to keep in mind is -

Fear - When a dog is snarling and baring its teeth at you and you are afraid

Phobia - At the sight of a dog you are completely and utterly terrified

Phobias and fears are two seperate things. :]
Laura Lou Carter
Killjoy
Laura Lou Carter
January 31st, 2008 at 09:53am
well im going through a stage at the moment.
which i suppose is like that.
its like i never feel clean and have marks on my arms from where ive scrubbed myself. and i get scared now because i feel i have dirt on my body which isnt really there.
but at the end of the day. fears or phobias are just in your mind.
its all about the physcological side of it really. i mean all phobias can be overcome. and i hope you can over come yours.

Smile