Tallulah
December 21st, 2008 at 01:07pm
I think you're right Jenny.
meh.
Exposure.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Exposure.
December 21st, 2008 at 09:20pm
I have a phobia of being home alone. It terrifies me... so does mirrors in the dark. I cant look in a mirror at night. i just cant.
rainbowdrop
Killjoy
rainbowdrop
December 22nd, 2008 at 11:01am
I know what you mean, I can't look at mirrors in the dark either, especially if I have just watched a horror film. It creeps me out too bad.

I also have a phobia of the dentist.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
December 22nd, 2008 at 02:50pm
another proof that i am invisible.
I have an irrational fear of people ignoring mods/admins and having to lock threads.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
December 24th, 2008 at 12:27am
^^haha thats made me laugh, sorry.

The reason why MCR said the enemies of the Black Parade (I know an MCR fangirl using MCR's Black Parade as an example, but in my defense its an MCR fan site and WTTBP just came on my ipod's shuffle) is Fear and Regret is becuase both of those prevent you from living your life to its fullest. If you think about it fear keeps us from our full potental, and sometimes we don't even realize it, like we're too afraid to chase after someone we love or we're too afraid to vioce our opinion. In the end it'll prevent you from living your life. Now obviously there are some cases where fear is a good thing (like when your to afraid to do something harmful to yourself cause of the consequences) but it can also just completely enable you.

You think agoraphobes (the fear of open spaces) really live? Some of them can't leave their house ever. That fear is just completely disabling them and its taking a toll on thier life
Boubou
Killjoy
Boubou
December 26th, 2008 at 03:28pm
EDIT: just read the previous page. sorry for the off ._.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
December 26th, 2008 at 04:51pm
did you read the mods warnings on this page and the one before? Just curious?
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
December 26th, 2008 at 05:49pm
I actually dont think there is much else to discuss about phobias unfortunatly.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
December 26th, 2008 at 09:55pm
then the thread should stay silent.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
December 27th, 2008 at 10:13am
MILLIONAIRES!:
I actually dont think there is much else to discuss about phobias unfortunatly.

There's a lot more to discuss. Telling people your phobias isn't really a discussion, but it's better if you can elaborate on them a bit more, such as why you think you have the phobia, what kind of treatments you've tried (if any), etc.

However, it's even better if you can discuss things like that in general, rather than personally, and instead use your personal experience as examples, developing your ideas.

I think there should be a thread in the chamber for phobias people have, if there isn't one already, if people want to talk about them. This topic was made for discussing phobias in general.
chemicallydisturbed
Killjoy
chemicallydisturbed
December 31st, 2008 at 04:09pm
once in a while i'll have the thing with washing my hands a lot... but lately its been with my face...i have clear skin, but i just feel like i need to wash my face at least 3 times a day....its bad though 'cause my skins gettin really dryed out...
im also afraid of water (like oceans && lakes), being hit (i flinch everytime someone makes a sudden movement near me), being alone in the dark, umm... i hate feet...OHHHH && i hate it when people crack their knuckles.
hahah....
&& others i cant remember right now...
imma weird kid. xD
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 2nd, 2009 at 08:15am

Please read my whole post before commenting, thanks.

My phobia is of isolation. Being in a situation that I can't say no to, having nobody to help me that kind of thing.
Now, I was thinking the other day about why I had this phobia, and I've come to this conclusion. Keep in mind I have done no research on any phobias.

I think that phobias such as this stem from basic human behaviour. Humans are social animals, they need interaction to function normally. The isolation phobia may stem from this need. The fear of being cut off from others.
Some people just fear it but others, such as me, have an irrational fear. A phobia.

I'm not sure about other types of phobies, such as fear of bugs. I understand phobias of large and threataning animals though. Big dogs for example, that's just a primal instinct that may have developed into something bigger. But little bugs? I can't really see how that can progress into a phobia. Look at Chimps, they groom and eat these bugs. How could we off branched off so far from these relatives that we fear what we used to eat?

Remember, I've done no research on phobias. Just trying to get the ball rolling.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
January 2nd, 2009 at 12:15pm
^ Maybe the bugs are a cultural thing, like, it's encouraged to scream when a bug's around because of the attention. Or maybe it's because we are aware of the diseases they might transmit.
loner.girl
Killjoy
loner.girl
March 12th, 2009 at 04:34pm
i have social phobia, being around ppl makes me pretty nervous, i keep thinking about how to be able to deal with them,but i just dunno how to do it.
i really find this quite embarrassing,just coz i don't talk ppl think that i'm stupid,though i'm one of the best students in college.
i went to a doctor,i'm trying to change but i dunno...
this really sucks Sad
souverian.
Demolition Lover
souverian.
March 13th, 2009 at 09:59am
I have a phobia of saliva. Even my own saliva. When I drink from a cup, I have to keep rotating it so I can avoid my saliva. And I dont drink from glass cups because the saliva becomes visible.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 10th, 2009 at 08:16am
i have arachnophobia - fear of spiders

it was worse when i was a kid, but i still can't be in a room with one! even thinking about them and writing this is making creeped out! i do feel like its controling me though, which to be is the worse thing ever! im scared of even the littlest spider... i've always had to ask my dad to get them! i wouldnt go to sleep otherwise..

i do really want to get over my fear, but have no idea how! my friend tried to cure me by putting a spider in a glass and for me to hold the glass, i was scared i'd drop it! then i held one!! it was a tiny one, but to be honest it didnt make me feel any more less scared! i hated the feel of the 8 legs on my skin!! now im even more scared!

But yeah thats my phobia lol

I also hate being locking in somewhere, but i dunno if thats a phobia
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
April 12th, 2009 at 12:27am
I'm a little clostophobic (sp.?)
Jenny.
Jenny.
April 12th, 2009 at 03:50pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
Guys, this thread isnt really for posting what phobias you have, its for a discussion on the topic of phobias.

Please keep that in mind and reread the rules. Thanks.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
April 12th, 2009 at 04:17pm
you know I was just about to post this myself. Smile
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
April 12th, 2009 at 09:06pm

Man, so many Mod and Admin posts being ignored D:

Some people are saying that they are a 'bit' of this phobia or 'slightly' phobic of something. You can't be a 'little' phobic of something.

"A phobia (from the Greek: φόβος, phóbos, "fear" ) , or morbid fear is an irrational, intense, persistent fear of certain situations, activities, things, or people. The main symptom of this disorder is the excessive, unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. When the fear is beyond one's control, or if the fear is interfering with daily life, then a diagnosis under one of the anxiety disorders can be made."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobias

I know Wikpedia isn't always a reliable source, but you get the general gist of it.
I think that people who describe that they are a 'bit' phobic of something aren't phobic at all, they just have a mild fear.
A phobia is when you can't stand to be in that situation, when your heart starts to pound wen you even think about it. When there is a slight chance that you will experience the phobia, you might cry, your hands might shake, you might get shortness of breath, you might feel dizzy, you feel like your about to throw up and sometimes you get numbness or tingling sensations.

I can't stress this enough, a fear is not a phobia.

When I think about a situation where I might experience my phobia, I get this really weird sensation. It's like blood is rushing to my ears and suddenly my legs feel weak. Then its like all my sense are heightened, like I can feel more, see more and hear more. I think that's because of the adrenaline my pounding heart is sending through my body.

However, for a fear, I would simply be afraid. Maybe mild other symptoms, but nothing as distressing as my phobic reaction.
I'm just using myself as an example, but you can see that a fear and a phobia has two very different reactions on my body.

"Almost everyone has an irrational fear or two. Some get nervous at the thought of needles. Others shriek at the sight of a mouse. Still others get woozy when they look down from tall buildings. For most people, these fears are minor. But for some, these fears are so severe that they cause tremendous anxiety and interfere with normal day-to-day life.

When fears are irrational and disabling, they are called phobias. If you’re living in fear because of your phobia, take hope. You can overcome phobias and fears with the right treatment and self-help strategies. So don’t wait to seek help."

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/phobia_symptoms_types_treatment.htm