Phobias?

AuthorMessage
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
April 24th, 2009 at 07:01am
my frriend has this thing.
its not neccaserily a phobia
but she does have a thing where she obssesed with washing her hands and cleaning things 'cause she hates germs
and the thought of germs on her or around her.
Don Juan Triumphant
Salute You in Your Grave
Don Juan Triumphant
May 7th, 2009 at 07:10pm
does anyone know if theres a name for the phobia of shower curtains?
cause im terrified of them. i looked on gogole but couldnt find any actual name for the phobia.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 8th, 2009 at 01:01am
I do think it can get out of hand
But if people dont realise that, the fear becomes so big and takes over them.
Until someone realises its taking over, they cant fight to break that fear
I think its also hard to get help with a phobia. As most people think they are silly and would get laughed at if they told someone, which isnt true...

My biggest phobia is spiders... ever since i was little i have always been scared of them, but have no clue where to get help to get over the fear! I cant be in the room with one, it has to be removed! i hate being scared of them. They arent tiny, and it stupid to be scared of such a small thing!.... i dont no why im scared of them. i cant remember a time that would make me so scared! but i guess i just have to live with it lol

There should be a helpline with people with phobias!!
awaiting dawn
Killjoy
awaiting dawn
May 22nd, 2009 at 02:03pm
I have deathly fear of needles. If I see one or if someone is just talking about one I will start to hypervenilate. I can never get shots because the nurses can never hold me down long enough to give it to me. I remember the last time I tried to get shot. I tried to crawl through the office window. I was almost out then my sister pulled me back in. I started to dramastically panic. Never doing that again! Once I had a dream tha my school nurse chased me with a needle. Since then I stay as far away from her as possible. If a see her I start to cry. I can never control my fear. And talking about it doesn't make it any better. I'm a little shaky right now. I'm OKAY!
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 22nd, 2009 at 02:17pm
BOINGage-MCRmy:
she does have a thing where she obssesed with washing her hands and cleaning things 'cause she hates germs
and the thought of germs on her or around her.
That's OCD
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
May 22nd, 2009 at 07:54pm
Phobia's are the fear of irrational things, the person knows that their fear is illogical, yet when faced with the cause of their phobia, there is extreme fear.

I had one with clowns, I still don't like them, but I've gotten over the fear, because I've slowly subjected myself to seeing them.

I think that slowly introducing yourself to your fear can work sometimes
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
June 3rd, 2009 at 07:16pm
im absolootly afraid of briges and hights. I think they are intertwind. every time i go over a bridg I shut my eyes and hug my body. also im mad afraid of cars. I think its because I was in a car acsident and the car got totaled. now every time I cross the street i run, and when I'm in the car I close my eyes. But I think thhat most phobias have some sort of reason behind them.
weirdo102
Fabulous Killjoy
weirdo102
June 18th, 2009 at 12:25pm
i have a weird Acrophobia. I'm not scared of heights but if i'm like two feet off of the ground I will freak out and throw a fit. It scares me. I can't climb a ladder because I'll just freak. It's disturbing. I can't even get a piggy back ride from some body.

[stupid but true]
spiderpig-
Really Not Okay
spiderpig-
June 19th, 2009 at 05:12am
i am currently suffering into a phobia of fearing the internet will leave you . i dont really know if there is a such name for that .
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
October 18th, 2009 at 06:16am

Guys again, this isn't really a confessions board where you talk about your personal phobias. Try discussing it.

I think a lot of phobias can be traced back to primal needs or instincts.
For example, the fear of being alone - Humans are social animals.
Spiders - Humans learnt to stay away due to venemous spiders?
I'm not entirely sure, I'm not really an expert in this.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 18th, 2009 at 01:13pm
Lovesick Melody.:

I think a lot of phobias can be traced back to primal needs or instincts.
For example, the fear of being alone - Humans are social animals.
Spiders - Humans learnt to stay away due to venemous spiders?
I'm not entirely sure, I'm not really an expert in this.
No I agree.
People have fears have only things that can hurt them, in anyway.
Your afraid of your lover leaving you, it's not a phobia, just an anxiety.
Your afraid of hieghts, it terrifies you to be up so high cause you feel endangered, phoba.

People misuse the word phobia all the time, it's completely different from a fear, they might seem the same, but their not. Example, drug overdose and to over medicate. Sound thesame but one means your life is one the line do to take to much of a substance, the other simply means you took even one more the the recomended dosage on porpuse. I hope that makes sense/\.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
November 25th, 2009 at 09:55pm
Deb:
That's OCD

isn't the term for fear of germs Spermophobia?
AvengedRomace
Fabulous Killjoy
AvengedRomace
December 8th, 2009 at 09:44am
Spiders.... Hate em! and yes they can get out of hand at time, I saw someone afriade of a Bannana? C'mon? I think most of it is the wierdness factor they get from people!
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
December 8th, 2009 at 01:56pm
RiceGrains-N-Rose's:
Spiders.... Hate em! and yes they can get out of hand at time, I saw someone afriade of a Bannana? C'mon? I think most of it is the wierdness factor they get from people!

this thread isn't for discussing your own phobias.
it's for discussing what causes phobias, if they are caused at all and the effect of phobias on someone's life for example.
not just talking about your own without a point behind it.
nervesplitter
Killjoy
nervesplitter
December 10th, 2009 at 06:20am
ive got a phobia of the sun giving in and destroying earth
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
December 10th, 2009 at 06:53am
nerve-splitter-dx:
ive got a phobia of the sun giving in and destroying earth

once again, not a thread for discussing your own personal phobias.

Taste_of_Stale_Air
Killjoy
Taste_of_Stale_Air
December 10th, 2009 at 09:56pm
I agree that it sounds like more of an OCD than a phobia. OCD's can usually be treated, but I don't think you can just get over them. I'm really not sure.

I'm pretty sure a phobia is an irrational fear or there is no direct reason to be afraid of it or something like that, but I'm not 100% sure. Phobias aren't necessarily treatable, they're a sort of all in your head deal, you have to convince yourself there's no reason to fear them.

Anyways, if it is a phobia, when you're feeling overwhelmed you just have to try and be calm and think that it's okay. Not easy I know, but it's better to try than not to.

Smile
nervesplitter
Killjoy
nervesplitter
December 11th, 2009 at 03:49am
Taste_of_Stale_Air:
I agree that it sounds like more of an OCD than a phobia. OCD's can usually be treated, but I don't think you can just get over them. I'm really not sure.

I'm pretty sure a phobia is an irrational fear or there is no direct reason to be afraid of it or something like that, but I'm not 100% sure. Phobias aren't necessarily treatable, they're a sort of all in your head deal, you have to convince yourself there's no reason to fear them.

Anyways, if it is a phobia, when you're feeling overwhelmed you just have to try and be calm and think that it's okay. Not easy I know, but it's better to try than not to.

well its every time im off of school i get scared of summin like a nuke going off

Smile
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
December 11th, 2009 at 07:23am
a person who tends to clean things and wash their hands frequently for fear of germs isn't necessarily suffering from OCD or a type of anxiety disorder.
people can be spermophobic and not be obsessive-compulsive in any other way, or have any other anxiety issues.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 11th, 2009 at 09:03am
Taste_of_Stale_Air:
Phobias aren't necessarily treatable, they're a sort of all in your head deal, you have to convince yourself there's no reason to fear them.
Phobias can be treated. It depends on the person and how they react to the treatment, and whether they actually want it or not.

Phobias are able to be overcome, but that doesn't mean everyone will overcome their phobia. Not everyone is the same and everyone responds differently to treatments.