Don't have an account? Create one!

Is My Chemical Romance Popular?

AuthorMessage
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 2nd, 2008 at 04:41am

I searched and nothing came up, but please lock if felt necessary. :]

Okay, so we all know that My Chemical Romance is a legendary and life changing rock band.
But the question still remains, are they popular?

-Is this a good or bad thing?
-Does this attract the wrong type of fans?
-Would you rather they became more/less popular?
-What are some bad/good aspects of them being popular/unpopular?

Discuss. :]

(And please, act mature and no fights or arguments, everyones entitled to their own opinion.)
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
February 2nd, 2008 at 05:55am
errrr i think they're kind of popular like i mean they're attracting lots of teenies and stuff who are what i think the "wrong type of fans" as they're only sticking to the band because a member(s) is hot.
I think being popular can result in some good things and some bad things
Good things:
1) They get to play incredible, beautiful arena shows with fireworks and confetti
2) They have more money to spend on merch, videos and making all of gerards ideas become reality (like the whole black parade alter egos) etc
3) They have reached out to more fans and helped them through difficult times
4) They have opportunities to headline legendary festivals
5) The guys in mcr's dreams are coming true =]
Theres some other stuff but my mind has gone completely blank so don't yell at me.

Bad Things:
1) They hardly play small club shows anymore and when they do the tickets will sell out so fast that loads of fans will probably miss out =/
2) Its harder to meet the band (they'll come out later due to the larger amount of fans within the arena) (can they hug fans anymore? i've heard that they cant =[)
3) we have to put up with teenies claiming to be mcr's no. 1 fan when they only have downloaded the black parade album and they don't know Bullets exists...
4) they're constantly in the media which may annoy a lot of people and get fed up with them....

I think for their next album i'd prefer if they got a little less popular so maybe some of the newer fans got the opportunity to see them in a smaller shows because that is an amazing experiance and one which i'll always treasure =]
Sin Shads
Fabulous Killjoy
Sin Shads
February 2nd, 2008 at 11:09am
i think its a good thing.
even though they might not be playing small clubs and stuff
but they still care a lot about the fans from the beghining
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
February 2nd, 2008 at 12:37pm
I do think they are kind of popular.
And I'm not sure if i like it.
When they were a band that not many people knew about, I think it made those few fans feel special. Like this band really made them feel better about themselves. That was the whole purpose of the group.
But now you have the popular kids listening to Teenagers, not getting the message of the song at all.
I don't know...I think it's something I'm going to have to get used to.
Pick On Bobsleigh
Fabulous Killjoy
Pick On Bobsleigh
February 3rd, 2008 at 12:39am
Of course they are popular, who doesn't love them? :] Not everyone might love them for the same reasons, but who's to say there is a RIGHT reason to love them, and a WRONG reason to love them? People have different ways of connecting and identifying with a band, be it by their music, or their personality, their vision, or even their looks. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

For me, I simply don't care if they are popular or not. I don't choose my music discriminately, based on whether it is liked by others or not. Music isn't supposed to work like that. It isn't like fashion, here one day and gone the other. I don't purposely listen only one type of music either. What matters the most to me is that their music speaks to me, and I can listen to their music and FEEL something, a kind of connection.

So whether MCR was completely unknown, or constantly in the media, I would still love them.
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
February 3rd, 2008 at 10:36am
Honey it's an interesting question (as in i've never come across one quite like it on INO), but i can only answer with 3 words: I Don't Care.

really, because i know they're doing smthing good for me, and i hope the same for all fans out there. i certainly hope they've made a positive change in ur life too. wherever u are.

love is unconditional and unanalysing. love is pure and unfettered. the fucking hippies were right. Wink
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
February 3rd, 2008 at 03:32pm
Well I'm not going to lie - had I known the band was this popular at the time I discovered them, I might not have given them a chance, because I tend to ignore what everyone likes - it's just a quirk I have. I would have waited until the furor died down before checking them out. Thank God it didn't happen that way, because My Chem ultimately helped me to heal from my husband's death from cancer, as some of you may know.

I think the question of My Chem's popularity being a good thing or a bad thing - it's bittersweet. The goal of this band was always to get the message out to as many people as possible. I think one of the reasons that G is now saying that they are not focusing on the message so much anymore is twofold really:

First and foremost, they feel that they have accomplished their goal of spreading it far and wide, and second, the pressure to always have one is weighing on them too much and they want to go back to just putting on a great show and having fun, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't see why fans begrudge them this. Haven't they said enough? Just because they don't repeat themselves every single show anymore doesn't mean they don't still feel that way. People's core values do NOT change, and it takes a bit of maturity to realize this.

I do think the issue of teenies and/or crazy fans is a problem. I think it's what caused the band to feel removed from the fanbase, and is to blame for them not wanting to hug fans anymore (Exhibit A - G's rumoured death threats, Exhibit B - Ray getting jumped on in Malaysia, just to cite two examples.) It does drag the intelligence level of the fanbase down a bit, which is unfortunate, but I also believe it's temporary.

The boys are attempting to return to their roots right now while simultaneously incorporating their current, more mature life experiences into the mix, and even the older fans should be satisfied with this.

At the end of the day, now that MCR is who they are to me, nothing will shake that. They would have to do or say something really outrageous to cause such a thing, and even that, it'd have to be all five of them, so I'm not too worried about that occurring.

The boys busted their asses to get where they are now, and they still haven't changed. When is the last time you saw one of them zipping down the road in a lamborghini, or living in gated estates, or flying around in private jets, or talking about their personal bottom lines? Never, right? So anyone who is concerned that they've changed can stop worrying - they haven't now, and they never will. And G hasn't gone back to drugs/drinking, whatever, either, I can promise you that. You can still tell the difference between then and now, very easily. He'd also have hit the wall in six months if he were still at it - because he's an addict. When he told you that he took his responsibility to his bandmates and fans (and now his wife) seriously, he meant it.

Bottom line? It's annoying that My Chem are being trivialized a bit in the media, but they also thrive on adversity, so it all works out in the end.

Wow, that wound up being an essay and a half LOL Sorry about that.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 19th, 2008 at 11:51pm

That's another thing that Collision Kiss said, does it matter?
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
February 20th, 2008 at 12:44am
Dunno why, but i feel bittersweet after reading keve'sLadyofSorrows' post. Just maybe realised how far the band has come and all the good & bad stuff thats happened in btwn. I would really really like a hugn from thm tho. And i promise I wouldnt be a teeny abt it (at least as much as i can help it). and i won't grope them either.

i dont actually think they are removed from the fanbase. maybe at one point they were a bit jaded as to what had become of the whole thing....but i think on the whole they support as we support them and u can still feel their love during a live show. (sorry if that sounds corny)

i hate the whole phenomenon of bands losing their cred once they become famous or 'mainstream'. To use an analogy, did JK Rowling become a worse writer after H Potter hit no. 1? Does an artist/musician/whatever become less talented or productive once fame hits? i'm sure some do. But not enough, IMHO, to set such a sweeping stereotype.

Mychem is as good as they've ever been. ifr u dont like where they're going musical-wise, fine. every1 is entitled to an opinion; every1 is entitled to say "i like this" and "I don't dig that." Just don't discredit the boys for doing well and being a massive success. Smile

A HUUUUUUUUUGGE HUG TO FRANK, GERARD, MIKEY, RAY AND BOB
looserkid._.p
Joining The Black Parade
looserkid._.p
March 5th, 2008 at 07:20pm
on my school..
uhh no..
a line in a song.
Salute You in Your Grave
a line in a song.
March 5th, 2008 at 10:43pm
Well, they are popular to those who know them know them.
But like once said before, 'Does it really matter?'
Anyways, at my school, MCR was popular for about, two weeks. Only because they heard Welcome To The Black Parade on the radio.
annaaloves
Bleeding on the Floor
annaaloves
March 20th, 2008 at 05:16pm
i think its all good because when you see them you get the amazing arena shows and their message is being spread out more.
but since the black parade came out , i felt some people were only getting into them because it was 'cool' to like them and nothing else, like when WTTBP came out everyone was spazzing about it because it was number 1 in the charts and it was all the rage. but now, MCR are considered as sell outs and if you love MCR you are considered an emo or a wierdo or a poser.
and also, i hate the way the media have lumped them as emo like when you see magazine articles about MCR, its almost certain that the article will start with something like 'emo superstars, my chemical romance...' Disgust
and its not as if they've admitted to be an emo band, they have made it pretty clear they are not, in any shape or form, emo.
anyway, those things don't bother me too much, as long as they are still the band i know and love i am more than happy. Very Happy
anthony green.
In The Murder Scene
anthony green.
March 20th, 2008 at 06:37pm
At my school, me and my friend Katie are the only real fans.

You see kids walking around with MCR shirts when you know that they only know one or two songs. I think MCR is popular, but not in the way that they would have exactly liked, I don't think.

I promise you, you ask a die-hard fan, like, the drummer's name (and nobody ever knows the drummer's name...poor Bob.) and they know it right off the bat.

You ask one of those teenies who've only heard one or two, they say something random like "Uhh...Zack?"
LittleSydneyScissors
Jazz Hands
LittleSydneyScissors
March 20th, 2008 at 06:48pm
Of course, they are popular.
It is a good and bad thing, well,...
When they weren't popular, as you all can relate, the few fans that DID like them felt as if they were theirs for the keeping, (not saying pwnage XD just saying that it made the few fans that did like them feel like they were part of an unbreakable circle.)
And now, everyone knows who they are, and it's like..."What happened? Why is everyone thinking that they're number one fans? What happened to the unbreakable circle of few fans that actually enjoyed the music?"
The good things benefit the guys, rather...they get to play in big arenas (well, I guess that benefits us too, except for the fact of being more expensive, and selling out quickly,) and they are fulfilling their dreams. I'm glad their happy.
But I DO wish they were back to small venues, clubs, etc. =/
xhead1st4halos94x
Fabulous Killjoy
xhead1st4halos94x
March 20th, 2008 at 06:58pm
I think that them being popular is horrible, not so much for them but for the fans, i mean like freaking everyone who listens to the radio and heres one fucking song by them calls themself a fan. And idk with them being popular of course its like harder to meet them and stuff and since their shows are so big they are not as intimate.

lol i say like to much dont i. lol
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
March 20th, 2008 at 10:43pm
I think they're popular, but not in the way that say... Rhianna or someone is popular. Are they well known? Incredibly. Are they known in a good way, by and large? No, not really. Most people know them as "the emo band". For a while, I guess the popularity rose because of WTTBP, Teenagers, etc., and that caused a lot of teenies to spring up from the works because "OMG, Gerald Wayne is lyk, SOOO hot." So that wasn't necessairily a good thing, because, yes, well it did get their message out there, most of said teenies did not really understand the message. They were just in it because, well... they thought Gerard was attractive, and because at the time it seemed the cool thing to do. Now, I think My Chem is going out of style again. Now, if you listen to them, you're just another emo kid. And they're just another emo band, which is one thing that really bugs me about their popularity. I hate the way people, and the bloody media, refer to them as emo. How many times have they stated that they are not, that they despise the label itself? Countless times. It just never seems to sink in, all because of the way they look and the darkness in their music.

On the shows and fandom side, I think it sucks a bit for the fans in terms of shows, because you can't see them in small venues anymore (except for this tour, and even these venues aren't THAT small, just small in comparison to what My Chem usually play). Small venues tend to give you a better chance to meet the guys, which I'm sure many of us would like to do, and they give you a more intimiate show. As a big show-goer (as in the small, local shows) myself, I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference in the amount of intimacy at a small show, compared to a concert. Personally, I'd love to see them in a really small venue, and now that they're so big, that likely won't happen anytime soon. As well, there's the issue of the boys getting attacked / screamed / groped now when they're at shows or coming out afterwards, which isn't cool. Hopefully, said fans will go away soon, so that the boys don't have to worry about being attacked by "fans".

Their popularity is a positive in some ways though, too. If not for the fact that WTTBP was a such a hit, I probably would have never seriously got into them. By their popularity, the guy's dreams are also getting to come true, and the message is getting spread. Even if only 1 out of every 100 new fans really gets the message, it's still worth it, I think. In the end, now that I know and love them, their popularity won't ever affect how well I like them. It's about the music and it always will be about the music, so whether their popular or not doesn't affect me except in terms of shows, at this point.

Man, that turned into a huge essay. Sorry. x]
To The End;
Salute You in Your Grave
To The End;
March 20th, 2008 at 11:44pm
At my school, most people know them. It's kind of good and bad because you get other peoples opinions. And for those people who know them, and think their cool only know their hit songs (teenagers or helena or welcome to the black parade) or gerards hair. They don't know that mcr have saved so many lives. I would prefer mcr to be less popular because no one would really question them. The good and bad things of them being popular/unpopular is that usually the jugdmental people make rude comments and crap and mcr fans get into fights with them.

thats just my opinion though.
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
March 21st, 2008 at 01:25am
To me, I honestly don't think it's that much of a big deal that they're popular. They are popular because they are good, and that isn't a bad thing. It's moreoverly how other people will react to it, like how some people don't like them anymore because they've changed. Quote - Unquote.

As what Collision Kiss said, I don't care. They are a good band, and if people want to commercialize them, it's not going to make them less of a good band.

They are popular, but not to the extent that it makes them grow an ego or what have you. It's a good thing and a bad thing, only depending on the people. To them, it's just another stage in being My Chemical Romance.
Butters
Salute You in Your Grave
Butters
March 21st, 2008 at 07:06am
The Joker:

2) Its harder to meet the band (they'll come out later due to the larger amount of fans within the arena) (can they hug fans anymore? i've heard that they cant =[)

omg are you serious? where did you hear that?
obsolete
Killjoy
obsolete
March 21st, 2008 at 12:17pm
Yes i think they are VERY popular and,
Yes i think its a good thing i mean when you like a band you really want the best for them right? and the more popular they are the more demand there is on the band therefor they would travle to more parts of the world and stay longer DUE to popular demand.Not all fans are into them for the wrong resons like i started listening to them because i heard WTTBP and now i think that is one of their worst albums(still good but not best Three cheers for sweet revenge baby) and its popular to listen to that kind of music now sadly because when one genre of music is popular its harder for newer up comeing bands with a diferent singing style to get a record lable thats why alot of great bands are underground (and when i say underground i mean they are under there own record lable and dont do big gigs) but yeah i don't know about other countrys but in ireland they are masive and you arn't anyone if you dont know who MCR are. And i tell ya its scary when your walking around and if you dont have black hair or an emo fringe you get the crap beaten out of you! and the taunts and looks are extreemly intimidateing. Shocked

And another thing if they wern't popular their merchandise wouldn't be redily available they wouldn't do gigs outside their hometown or outskirts and you probably wouldn't know much about them. In my opinion if you walk into a Cd shop and you can find their albums easily for about €/$/£ 20
than they are popular as long as they hit the radio/mainstreem thats it their popular or pop and i don't see what the problem with being called and emo is i mean who cares! I mean what ever happend to that qoute from gerard whats hisface "don't take anyones shit!" or whatever i couldnt care less about them themselves isnt it really about the music? if your serious about the band it gets boreing! joke about them! like most of my mates hate them with and un dieing passion and i sit there and laugh my ass off at what they are saying about them! Or if i start humming the tune to this is the best day ever someone will say "haha you emo fag!So you still come with the rest of us to the cinema???" see noone cares! and if you want people to stop "bullying" you just play along like if they say "ew mcr are queer!" you say "yeah i know but arent they just so stupidly serious you just want to puch them in the face??" Very Happy