Don't have an account? Create one!

Something I have been thinking about for a looong time.

AuthorMessage
Sin Shads
Fabulous Killjoy
Sin Shads
February 2nd, 2008 at 11:52am
So pretty much all of you know that the band started after Gerard witnessed 9/11.
That's when My Chemical Romance started.
But with 9/11 , came the war, and many lives were lost.
But with MCR, many lives were saved.

What would ove happened if 9/11 didnt happen?
Many of us probably would have lost our lives.
Do you think it's a good thing that 9/11 happened or not?
And what if Gerard wasn't on the ferry at the time that it happened?
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
February 2nd, 2008 at 12:30pm
You know, that's a really interesting question.
In my opinion, it should never have happened. It was horrible.
But it has changed a lot of peoples lives. Everyone on this site has been affected by it because of MCR.
But really, I don't think Gerard needed to witness it. There are so many other terrible things going on in the world that I'm sure Gee would have realized that he wanted to save lives eventually.
Sin Shads
Fabulous Killjoy
Sin Shads
February 2nd, 2008 at 12:43pm
thats true.
writerGrrl
Salute You in Your Grave
writerGrrl
February 2nd, 2008 at 12:57pm
I think it's crazy how things like that can happen. If it wasn't for Hitler I wouldn't exist (my Granny wouldn't have fled Germany and met my Grandpa.) If 9/11 hadn't happened many more people around the world (in Iraq especially) would be alive. Would those people who say "MCR saved my life" be dead too? Gerard even said that the band saved his life.

Also I think it's kind of interesting that this band was, as I like to put it, "born out of the ashes of 9/11." Despite not being emo, they reflect the depression, death obsession, and the struggle to be optimistic in the face of reality that so many people have in this decade as a result of world events.
Sin Shads
Fabulous Killjoy
Sin Shads
February 2nd, 2008 at 12:59pm
very true.
so if the band saved his life.
imagine if there was no mcr.
and probably the people who said mcr saved my life,
they probably might be dead too.
look alive sunshine.
Shotgun Sinner
look alive sunshine.
February 2nd, 2008 at 01:41pm
this is creepy, i just thought of this last month and my sister and i talked about it for a while after that. never thought of making it a post...good idea =)

if 9/11 didn't happen, there would be alot of people either loosing it, or people who have lost it. so it's kind of a lose/lose situation in general. whether it would've been suicide, or loss to a loved one in the towers, in the war, one of the rescuers, or were just on the streets of nyc that morning...and to think that that was a result of people's actions *shudder*

i have no connection to anyone involved in sept. 11 or the war in iraq, but if plane tickets didn't sell out, my 2 aunts and mom might've died flying to my uncle's funeral. ironic sort of. with all the events that went on...they would've been right where the whole thing happened. needless to say though, one of my aunts died the following month later w/my 2 cousins in a car crash anyway...

if gerard hadn't witnessed any of this event, there would be no gerard, for some reason i feel i can almost guarentee that. he probably wouldn't have started a band and wouldn't of felt as if he had a purpose in life. he wouldn't have had that 'wake up call' he explained in lotms. now THAT is a positive aspect of it all. without this band...WOW i don't know where i'd be that's for sure. and i bet other people feel exactly the same way. they were literally born from tragedy, but they help others in dealing with it and mean so much to so many. this is a hard topic to completely explain word for word, but it's definitely not the first time things like this have happened. supposively, everything happens for a reason, whether or not that seems fair or rational..or impossible to try and comprehend...
Sin Shads
Fabulous Killjoy
Sin Shads
February 2nd, 2008 at 01:43pm
for me, without this band.
i really wouldnt be living.
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
February 2nd, 2008 at 01:50pm
Hmmm I don't know. For some reason I feel that My Chemical Romance was inevitable. I think that Gerard NEEDED to make the band, and Sep 11 was just the thing that pushed him into it. I think the world goes through so much awful stuff that something would have had that effect eventually.

I think that My Chemical Romance was born out of personal tragedy, rather than the global one that was the 'spark' to it's beginning. As long as the boys had issues that they needed to vent or the creativity and talent that they possesed, this band was bound to happen. And I am so very that it did.

One thing would be different though. Would the band have got off to the same start without "Skylines and Turnstiles"? What effect did this have on the beginning of their Rollercoaster ride... Hmmm.
look alive sunshine.
Shotgun Sinner
look alive sunshine.
February 2nd, 2008 at 02:17pm
Green Faerie:

One thing would be different though. Would the band have got off to the same start without "Skylines and Turnstiles"? What effect did this have on the beginning of their Rollercoaster ride... Hmmm.

EXACTLY. without that start, they may not have had that special connection at first like they do now (and did then too Mr. Green)
Sin Shads
Fabulous Killjoy
Sin Shads
February 2nd, 2008 at 02:19pm
Xstar-crossed-loverX:
Green Faerie:

EXACTLY. without that start, they may not have had that special connection at first like they do now (and did then too Mr. Green)

skylines and turstiles was one of the most specal songs to me.
and without 9/11
i guess it wouldnt have been written.
idk
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
February 3rd, 2008 at 11:24am
Creepy coincicdence that u shd bring this up. I couldn't sleep just now so my mind got to thinking random stuff, and it struck my mind sudenly: if those towers had not collapsed, would Gerard have gotten the push (the catalyst, so to spk) he needed to start MCR or write those songs? How might their career hv been different wthout 9/11? would it maybe hv started later? or not at all?

Imagine doing a Back to the Future thing and travelling to that moment to save the US from terrorists, only to return to 2008 & find that ur favorite band does not exist. (NOOOOOO)

Destiny is a strange thing.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
February 3rd, 2008 at 11:51am
hmm.
i never really thought about that before.

i guess in a way it's both good and bad.
i mean,it horrible that all those innocent people had to lose their lives because of some screwed up man,but it's good because in turn,it helped save other lives.

=/
Cocolate
Killjoy
Cocolate
February 3rd, 2008 at 01:29pm
I've been thinking about this too sometimes.

I would be alive without this band yes, but my life would be shit.
MCR changed my life so totally.

It's horrible to think that somehow it's was 'good' that 9/11 happened... Shocked
I guess that everything was just meant to be.
Pick On Bobsleigh
Fabulous Killjoy
Pick On Bobsleigh
February 5th, 2008 at 09:25am
That is a really interesting observation...I agree with what Collision Kiss said, if 9/11 had not happened, everybody's lives might not even be the same as they are now. Gerard might become a comic artist instead, and everyone here would not have had such a great impact on their lives imprinted on them by MCR, and all the members of MCR would have lead separate lives. So in a way, perhaps every tragedy that happens could be a blessing in disguise, as every ending is also a beginning.

9/11 definitely should not have happened, but I can't help but wonder if MCR would still have been formed if not because of its occurence.
TaraIsBack!
Bleeding on the Floor
TaraIsBack!
February 5th, 2008 at 09:46am
I think that regardless if he was there firsthand to witness it or not, he would have been affected by it. And therefore would have started the band again anyway.

If it never happened at all, well.. that's a hard one. I would like to think that even something less tragic would have influenced him, but then in a way, that would be like wishing death on someone else instead of the 9/11 victims.

I'd also hate to say that those poor people HAD to die, but in the aspect that every cloud has a silver lining, it brought us as a nation closer together.
I remember when it first happened American Flags were flying everywhere, people were a bit nicer and more understanding of each other, we hugged our loved ones closer.

I don't think the sole purpose or fate of 9/11 was so MCR could rise from it's ashes... but I think that MCR's part in giving people inspiration is one of many things that came from the healing process of it's aftermath. They helped play a part in something much bigger than themselves... much bigger than any one of us individually.

And I in no way mean for this last part in a degrading way to the guys of MCR, but they didn't save your lives.... YOU DID! You made the decision for yourself, they may have given you hope and made you feel like someone understood you... but they didn't remove whatever object from your hand that you were going to use to hurt yourself. You did that all on your own...
and I hope you never have to, but if you were faced with that decision once again, I hope you make the same one.
StarGirl.
Jazz Hands
StarGirl.
February 6th, 2008 at 12:13pm
although, everyones posts are realvent, like if the twin towers never happened we might not have had MCR, but still, if Gerard hadn't seen them, like he got the bus late, maybe we wouldn't have had M<CR then.

BUt I think, that even if 9/11 didn't happen, therer could still be a chance that we'd have MCR. 9/11 was just the one terrible thing that happened. Maybe there could have been something else that inspired Gerard to start a band. Maybe, they'd be the same, or maybe entirely differnt. Fate is weird like that.

oh, and I like that phrase 'out of the ashes came MCR'. really says something dunnit?
Veeolin
Jazz Hands
Veeolin
February 6th, 2008 at 12:23pm
I've actually thought about this, and felt guilty ever time I did.

It was horrible 9/11 happened. If I could choose, I would undo it.

Then again, we've learned so many things from the terrorist attacks, as nation and as well as people. and we have MCR. It's a chain of events, and it doesn't really matter if we want to change it or not, because we can't. Things would be different, and it's impossible to predict.

So it's hard to say. I guess the best we can do is adopt a "live with no regrets" policy.
just sleep.
Jazz Hands
just sleep.
February 6th, 2008 at 11:12pm
i think mcr was just one of those things that was meant to be. it's hard to say what would have happened if 9/11 didnt but in the end i think they would have formed.
Vacant3by4
Jazz Hands
Vacant3by4
February 12th, 2008 at 06:40am
You know, i've been thinking this for awhile.
I see it as something amazing came out of something bad.
UnchArtEd schrEI
Jazz Hands
UnchArtEd schrEI
February 12th, 2008 at 07:25am
Vacant3by4:
You know, i've been thinking this for awhile.
I see it as something amazing came out of something bad.
so true