Don't have an account? Create one!

04/17/2008 + 04/18/2008 - Chicago, IL - Congress Theater

AuthorMessage
the constant.
Bulletproof Heart
the constant.
May 6th, 2008 at 05:51pm
KingRex:
Do you guys remember seeing Gerard jerking the microphone off (most discreat I'm gonna get)? I sure don't but I heard about it afterwards.
I totally remember him giving the mic a handjob and it was during...Teenagers? Maybe? I can't remember.
the constant.
Bulletproof Heart
the constant.
May 6th, 2008 at 05:59pm
TaraMCRmy:
I brought my mom because she loves MCR [and I invited her, she bought me the tix for my birthday] and has wanted to see them for quite a long time, and I warned her multiple times that I was dragging her as far up as possible, and that we were most likely going to be near some sort of pit [which we were, and she really didn't care]. lol, she only got a few scraped and bruises on her legs from being so close to the moshers, but she said she was fine. There was only one moment where we both felt heat exhaustion come over us, and I was kinda worried she might pass out, but she got over it pretty quickly.
My mom bought the tix for my birthday too! She came with me because I'm too young to go without a parent (which she told me numerous times) and we brought my friend too =] she was totally gonna stay in the pit with me and my friend, but after like 2 minutes of it she was all "I'm just gonna go stand on the side" cause we talked to this really cool chick earlier who told us that she was pregnant when she went to go see Paramore at the Congress and that she stood on the side and didn't get squished and could totally see.

So me and my friend were real close until MCR came on, then we found a nice place about 20 feet away from the stage where we weren't squished.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
May 6th, 2008 at 06:07pm
psychochip:
Parents are not as clueless or as stupid as they seem. You can't tell me that every MCR teen fan has a parent who grew up on nothing but ABBA and Neil Diamond
Thats exactly what I was saying Smile. I'm sure all the parents I saw were into Zeppelin or Alice Cooper in there day and wanted thier kids to have concert memories. But I think they got more than they barggned for. I mean I've seen Alice Cooper and my dad did have to act as a bouncer but we all had FUN and enjoyed the entire show. I doubt this can be said for the parents of MCR fans.

psychochip:
Don't harass every person who touches them -- they're going to get touched, kicked, hit, and probably much more if they're in a pit. Don't want that to happen to your perfect little treasure? Take them to Hannah Montana. Don't take them to MCR.
Right On! I'm glad there were no protective parents near the stage, unfortuantly there was one crazy chick who wouldn't be more than and inch from her boyfriend and wound up stracthing me numorous times. I'm quite proud of myself for going with friends and staying together....I Survied the Black Parade!

z i k e s !:
stood on the side and didn't get squished and could totally see.
I'll remember that, course nothin beats bein five people away dead center durin Helena...

z i k e s !:
I totally remember him giving the mic a handjob and it was during...Teenagers? Maybe? I can't remember.
Haha good to know, one more piece has been added to the puzzle. Was kinda out of it by then, when it started I was like "What?.......oh yeah! THAT song" lol. I think thats when I had to argue with this tiny "emo" chick and get her to take her nearly passed out friend the Hell out of the pit.

TaraMCRmy:
My mom loves Gee especially, and every once in a while when he said 'fuck' she'd go all 'watch your mouth, gerald!'
Haha thats hilarious! But I think It was a bit more than every one in a while.

TaraMCRmy:
I brought my mom because she loves MCR/Yeah, my mom rocks.
That she does, thats really awsome! Yeah, my parents took me to see Ringo's Allstar Band when I was 13 months old! We have pictures of me with an entire box of kleenex coming out of my ears. And I distinctly remember wearing multiple ear plugs in my earliest concert memories.Wink I've seen alot with my parents, just take a look at my profile to see "The List" ~ Rex
tarasaurus rex!
Thinking Happy Thoughts
tarasaurus rex!
May 6th, 2008 at 08:31pm
Lmao, aaw, kleenex? xD

z i k e s !:
My mom bought the tix for my birthday too! She came with me because I'm too young to go without a parent (which she told me numerous times) and we brought my friend too =] she was totally gonna stay in the pit with me and my friend, but after like 2 minutes of it she was all "I'm just gonna go stand on the side" cause we talked to this really cool chick earlier who told us that she was pregnant when she went to go see Paramore at the Congress and that she stood on the side and didn't get squished and could totally see.

So me and my friend were real close until MCR came on, then we found a nice place about 20 feet away from the stage where we weren't squished.

Aah! Our moms are cool!

Haha, I saw a pregnant chick at this MCR concert. I was in the bathroom [which was disgusting, btw. I refused to use it after walking in there], I was really shocked that while being pregnant she went to see MCR of all concerts, though I suppose she probably wasn't about to be in the wild crowd [or so I'd hope not].

I didn't see Gee do that with the mic! Lmao, I think I was watching Frank and the roadie most of the time. Damn, that's one of his signature stage moves and I missed it, xD.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
May 6th, 2008 at 11:45pm
TaraMCRmy:
in the bathroom [which was disgusting, btw.
Oh man, I felt like I was some how transported to a third world country. No soap, no towels, curtains no doors uhhhhgg

TaraMCRmy:
Damn, that's one of his signature stage moves and I missed it, xD.
I know! oh well, theres always next time, to bad thats gonna be like summer 09
Sad ~ Rex
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
May 7th, 2008 at 07:04am
^^ To be fair I went into the bathroom during Billy Talent and it seriously looked as if one of the cleaning ladies had just run over to CVS and bought pump bottles of soap and like 50 rolls of paper towels. They were trying at least. I've been to plenty of bathrooms with curtains rather than doors, so that didn't bother me at all. Had that old-skool feel to it. I'd rather pee behind a curtain than in a port-o-potty any day.

As for the microphone, it was during Teenagers. One of the security guys I was next to, his eyes got really wide and he turned to me and said, "Does he do that a lot?" I told him I was actually rather disappointed, that usually he's much nastier. Very Happy
Scarlett O'Hara.
Motor Baby
Scarlett O'Hara.
May 7th, 2008 at 06:19pm
^^Haha thats so funny! Yes, I missed some of the nastiness...ahaha. And the Frerard of course. But it's ok...it was still AMAZING!
So, did anyone else think that the lead singer of Billy Talent sounded a LOT like Gerard? (at least when he was talking)
tarasaurus rex!
Thinking Happy Thoughts
tarasaurus rex!
May 7th, 2008 at 09:45pm
gerardwayis_love:
^^Haha thats so funny! Yes, I missed some of the nastiness...ahaha. And the Frerard of course. But it's ok...it was still AMAZING!
So, did anyone else think that the lead singer of Billy Talent sounded a LOT like Gerard? (at least when he was talking)

I couldn't really tell because by then their voices sounded squeaky, xD. But when I watch their music videos and stuff, I think he sounds still more squeakier than Gee. Razz

KingRex:
I know! oh well, theres always next time, to bad thats gonna be like summer 09
Sad ~ Rex

Aaaw, hopefully he won't grow out of his sillyness phase, I'd be really sad if that happened. :[ I know they probably won't, but I hope My Chem plays Warped Tour again. I go to that every year and would love to see them there, except they don't like festivals, and they're pretty big as it is so I highly doubt it. Ah well.

psychochip:
^^ To be fair I went into the bathroom during Billy Talent and it seriously looked as if one of the cleaning ladies had just run over to CVS and bought pump bottles of soap and like 50 rolls of paper towels. They were trying at least. I've been to plenty of bathrooms with curtains rather than doors, so that didn't bother me at all. Had that old-skool feel to it. I'd rather pee behind a curtain than in a port-o-potty any day.

As for the microphone, it was during Teenagers. One of the security guys I was next to, his eyes got really wide and he turned to me and said, "Does he do that a lot?" I told him I was actually rather disappointed, that usually he's much nastier. Very Happy

Well at least they were trying. But I went to go into one of the stalls, and it took all my might to close the door, then when I saw the toilet and stuff I was like, 'oh man..nononono, i'll have to wait til I get home' xD, so then I got trapped in there because I couldn't open the door, it got stuck! So I grabbed onto the top of it and I swear I lifted myself off the ground trying to open it, lmao. It finally did open but I flew backward, luckily I didn't wind up in the toilet. Shocked

And, LMAO at the security guard!! There's something they don't see everyday, but we're totally used to it. Ahahaha, he probably had some stories to tell when he got home, eh?
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
May 7th, 2008 at 10:49pm
psychochip:
one of the security guys I was next to, his eyes got really wide and he turned to me and said, "Does he do that a lot?"
haha, first time hearin of a prudeish bouncer. Though I have found Chicago to have notoriously tight security. I almost thrown out/ taken in back cause I had a camera and my ride left! It took a few minutes of sweet talking for them to let me put it in the coat check Mad. For a while I couldn't figure out why thery weren't allowing people to take pics, now I think is that they didn't want any extra evidence of all the code violations; bathrooms, place being packed over capacity ect.

gerardwayis_love:
So, did anyone else think that the lead singer of Billy Talent sounded a LOT like Gerard?
Not really, I was tryin to save my energy and wasn't listening intentlly. But I really liked his act, he put alot into it and the bands image was cool. But seriously THREE openers! Thats borderline cruelty to the kids in the pit having to stand throught that...but we did!

TaraMCRmy:
but I hope My Chem plays Warped Tour again.
Oh God it would be nice to see them so soon, but it would be hard for me to get to it. I've always heard about Warped Tour but have never gone and wondered why, then I found out it it's in Wisconsin during the two weeks I'm ALWAYS up north. ~ Rex
tarasaurus rex!
Thinking Happy Thoughts
tarasaurus rex!
May 10th, 2008 at 11:15pm
This thread is dying!!
Keep it aliiiveee.

*doesn't have anything to talk about*
Neutral
Scarlett O'Hara.
Motor Baby
Scarlett O'Hara.
May 11th, 2008 at 12:31am
Ermm.....me neither! *thinks hard*
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
May 11th, 2008 at 02:43am
^ Oh come on! I'll be here as long as there's people to talk to. We've covered alot, but theres got to be more....Anyone lose a shoe? Cause there were tons of them afterwards, I held a bunch up but no one came looking.

What did you guys think of Drive By? They seamed alright, but the whole "We got a new CD, its $5" got really old really fast. I also disliked when ever the crowed would die down he'd go "My Chemical Romance" just to make every one scream, LAME!.

I totally feaked out at the beguining, during the first opener. So the night before I silk-skreened a new shirt. It was an old design from when I was a kid with a big skeleton and the phrase "Skeleton Club" which was a summertime thing for my friends and I way back when. (Silver on Black/Dark Imagry, thought I'd fit in) So there I am in the pit when the dude goes "Alright this one goes out to the Skeleton Crew Club! And there I am with my very own hand made t-shirt. Talk about a coincidence! I never did find out exactly what he was talking about though ~ Rex
Scarlett O'Hara.
Motor Baby
Scarlett O'Hara.
May 11th, 2008 at 02:34pm
Haha. I made sure to wear shoes that wouldn't fall off. Sounds like a sweet shirt too!
So did anyone manage to catch a setlist after the concert? I almost caught one but then this guy next to me grabbed it out of the air and I was so mad.
Bahh.
tarasaurus rex!
Thinking Happy Thoughts
tarasaurus rex!
May 11th, 2008 at 05:30pm
I thought Drive By was wonderful, I bought their CD the week before the concert and memorized a lot of the songs so I could sing along...I think I was the only one doing so. O_o I felt bad because no one was really into them, other than bobbing heads. :[

Billy Talent, they were mighty awesome!! They had the crowd going INSANE. I was kinda caught offguard by how rough people started getting, 'specially in the pit. I loved when everyone started singing All You Need Is Love, I was singing too, that was super fun. I love MCR fans<3

I didn't catch a setlist :[ I was too far back in the sense that unless they balled it up, it never would've reached me. And the guy snatched the setlist? Psh, i would've fought him to the ground. xD Probably not, but I would've begged him for it.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
May 11th, 2008 at 08:36pm
Two greatest moments of the night were "All You Need Is Love" and "Famous Last Words" I just about freaked when I heard the Beatles being played, I love them so much! It was so cool to have everyone singing along to such inspiring songs.

I would have boughten a Drive By CD but didn't have the $. It was funny, there base player (or was it Billy Talent) looked strikingly like my old history teacher.

Na I saw the roddies give the set lists away, I could have gotten one had I been a bout 15 feet to the right. My friend Ian got a drumstick from Skeleton Crew and I would have caughten a MCR pick if some kid hadden't suck up his hand and let it bounce of his fingers. Oh well
tarasaurus rex!
Thinking Happy Thoughts
tarasaurus rex!
May 11th, 2008 at 10:12pm
^ Grr, I hate when that happens! When you know you could've gotten it..but someone else did instead. But ah well, there's always next time, lol.

Ugh I miss them so badly, I feel like they're my family that's across the country and haven't seen them for 8 years or something, xD. Kinda sad probably, but I can't help it. :[ This wait on the DVD is a KILLER.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
May 11th, 2008 at 10:25pm
KingRex:
I totally feaked out at the beguining, during the first opener. So the night before I silk-skreened a new shirt. It was an old design from when I was a kid with a big skeleton and the phrase "Skeleton Club" which was a summertime thing for my friends and I way back when. (Silver on Black/Dark Imagry, thought I'd fit in) So there I am in the pit when the dude goes "Alright this one goes out to the Skeleton Crew Club! And there I am with my very own hand made t-shirt. Talk about a coincidence! I never did find out exactly what he was talking about though ~ Rex

David Costa (the first opener) is on Frank's label Skeleton Crew, so that's why he gave that shout-out. Did you get there after the street team canvassed the line? We were relatively far back in the line at the beginning, and they still had flyers and were handing them out. I actually liked them the best out of the openers -- we got to meet most of them as they were out and about during the rest of the show, very nice guys, genuinely interested in what people thought of them. I liked that they were so sincere and open. I picked up one of their CDs -- it's okay, but I really liked them better live, there was so much more energy and excitement to their performance. I wouldn't hesitate to see them again because I was so impressed with their live set.

And my friend and I both were pretty sick of the bands hawking their $5 CDs. I mean, I know they're new, but seriously. Play your music, and if I like it, I will buy it. Costa mentioned it once, but Drive-By kept harping on it. I didn't get theirs because I was sick of it being crammed down my throat, so it kinda backfired. Tell us once that it's there; if we're interested, we'll buy it. End of.

As for the "All You Need Is Love" -- I liked that as well, but they played a Pumpkins song before it (I really can't remember which one) and there was like me, my friend, and one other person singing along -- and all of us were over 25. And I'm thinking, how can no one here know this song? MCR has always cited the Pumpkins as one of their biggest influences -- if I knew nothing more about them it would be enough for me to check out their main singles, if nothing else. Now, I was *obsessed* with the Pumpkins from like 10th grade on so I was enjoying the song, but I was totally bummed that nobody else seemed to know who they were. And I did think, in the back of my mind, "Where is Lycia when you need her?" Very Happy

Now that the tour is over, I am so happy that I was able to see them one last time. It was worth the traveling, dealing with family, and everything else that went into the trip. It was one of my most exciting vacations ever -- although I'm still getting odd looks when I tell people I went all the way to Chicago just for a concert. I can't explain it; I *had* to be there, and I'm so glad I was.
Scarlett O'Hara.
Motor Baby
Scarlett O'Hara.
May 11th, 2008 at 10:37pm
psychochip:

It was one of my most exciting vacations ever -- although I'm still getting odd looks when I tell people I went all the way to Chicago just for a concert. I can't explain it; I *had* to be there, and I'm so glad I was.

How long was your drive?
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
May 12th, 2008 at 06:58am
Well, I'm from Kissimmee, FL, so it was a 3 hour flight Orlando to Indianapolis (I had a layover in Atlanta) then a two-hour drive from West Lafayette to Chicago.

Definitely worth every minute, however.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
May 12th, 2008 at 04:32pm
I think I can, I think I can......I wanna see this thread reach page 20!

psycochip:
David Costa (the first opener) is on Frank's label Skeleton Crew, so that's why he gave that shout-out. Did you get there after the street team canvassed the line? We were relatively far back in the line at the beginning, and they still had flyers and were handing them out. I actually liked them the best out of the openers -- we got to meet most of them as they were out and about during the rest of the show, very nice guys, genuinely interested in what people thought of them. I liked that they were so sincere and open. I picked up one of their CDs -- it's okay, but I really liked them better live, there was so much more energy and excitement to their performance. I wouldn't hesitate to see them again because I was so impressed with their live set.

Cool, good to know. Na I must have missed that I got there around 5:30. I thought they were ok,but I couldn't really hear what they were saying on acount of the terreblie sound, harmonics and screaming.
psycochip:
Play your music, and if I like it, I will buy it. Costa mentioned it once, but Drive-By kept harping on it. I didn't get theirs because I was sick of it being crammed down my throat, so it kinda backfired.
EXACTLY! Couldn't agree more

psycochip:
they played a Pumpkins song before it (I really can't remember which one) and there was like me, my friend, and one other person singing along -- and all of us were over 25.
Yeah I can see that would be frustrating. MCR is the only stuff I listen to from with in the past 40 years so I'm no help there.

Man the more I listen and think about the night, the more I can't wait for the next tour and alum. Give me all your crazy mosh pits, just let me see MCR! ~ Rex