Plus-Size Models

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 10th, 2008 at 06:20am
Collision Kiss:
I
And i also agree abt size being v subjective -- depending on the country, ur own size & even ethnic heritage.

here's to real natural women! the way we were meant to be

Even though I'm not skinny by any stretch of the imagination myself, I can see how that might be a tad offensive to naturally skinny people. Some people are just naturally waifish, just like some people are naturally larger. So by saying that women are "meant to be" a certain size is a little generalising... yes, theoretically women are "supposed" to be more curvy and have a little bit of extra fat on them, but it's so obvious that not everyone was born that way.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 10th, 2008 at 07:12am
^ i dont think they are banning skinny people. i think just extremely skinny people. like, people who look anorexic.
theres a difference. like, you can tell if someones just skinny or anorexic.
so, hopefully thats what they are doing. im pretty sure they are...
but i totally get what you mean.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 10th, 2008 at 07:28am
Oh, I wasn't talking about modelling at all in my post. I was just talking about women in general, and how everyone has a different body type. The point I was trying to make was that women who are naturally skinny shouldn't feel any less of a woman just because they don't have "real curves" or some fat on them. And it was in response to Collision Kiss' post, in which I gathered they were putting forward the idea that real women were meant to be curvy and have a little fat on them.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 10th, 2008 at 08:27am
^ oh, right. sorry.
cos a lot of people have been talking bout how they wanna ban skinny models.
i still get what you mean though.
i have a friend who his extremely skinny just cos she was born like that,a nd no matter how much she eats... Disgust
lol.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 10th, 2008 at 08:32am
^Yeah, I think in here in Australia, banning underweight / anorexic models was talked about, but I don't know whether it has been put into effect.
I think it was something like, if they're under the BMI of 20-22 or something then they'd be banned, but... -shrug-
Lonerinlove
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Lonerinlove
April 11th, 2008 at 07:09pm
A size 16 hear in england is not the same as a size 16 in america and canada
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 12th, 2008 at 12:52am
yes, very true. but a size 16 englad is similar to that here in australia, and its still a larger size.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 12th, 2008 at 12:56am
Yeah, I think here in Australia, England's size 16 is equivalent to our size 18 or something.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
April 12th, 2008 at 12:59am
The model-banning you guys are speaking of is last year when a fashion show in Madrid said they would no longer accept ANY underweight models in an effort to project a more positive image to young women. They determined this by using a BMI system.
Belong2Ray
Killjoy
Belong2Ray
April 27th, 2008 at 07:59pm
im naturally skinny and i sometimes wish that i could be more curvy like that girl lol. im really happy that a size 16 person made it to ms.england!
Colorado Sunrise.
Salute You in Your Grave
Colorado Sunrise.
April 27th, 2008 at 09:12pm
Oh my goodness. This is great ^^ I loveeeee it. This will probably encourage people...like people who aren't size 0 and want to be models.
patrick wolf
Salute You in Your Grave
patrick wolf
April 28th, 2008 at 04:23am
wow, I think it's great that "bigger"[even though I don't think she is fat] women can be models. Instead of brainwashing young girls with images of bony stick figures, it's good that they know that curvier women can be confident and gorgeous as well.

kid whatever.:
^Yeah, I think in here in Australia, banning underweight / anorexic models was talked about, but I don't know whether it has been put into effect.
I think it was something like, if they're under the BMI of 20-22 or something then they'd be banned, but... -shrug-

yeah, I don't think they should ban skinny models though, because some women are just naturally thin. and 20-22 is not underweight anyway :/
I can understand banning annorexic or seriously underweight models who really look sick and bones are sticking out everywhere, but not the skinnier side of healthy.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
April 29th, 2008 at 11:33am
I don't think that you should ban someone from being a model because they're too skinny, or because they are too fat. I know that some people are larger than others, and some people are skinnier than others, and forcing someone to change the size they are is wrong. Models are supposed to model clothes that people are going to buy, and in England, the average womens clothing size is 14-16, and therefore, I think that Size 16 Miss England Finalist is perfectly acceptable.

I personally prefer thinner women, and I do find 'size 0' attractive. Yes, I do eat as little as possible in order to loose weight, and yes, I know I should eat better, but the girls I know like skinnier guys. I also know that I am a 'good size', but I can't see that when I look in the mirror.

I think that models should be at most two sizes smaller than the average size in the country. This would mean that both the average size people, and the smaller people would get to see how clothes are going to look on them. I don't think models should be banned from modeling because they are the wrong size, unless they are unhealthy. If they are naturally thin, or naturally large, then, hell, let them model, they are normal women.

I mean who is always called an icon, and beautiful, and womanly? Marilyn Monroe, and she was a size 14-16!
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 30th, 2008 at 02:49am
^ i get what you mean. as horrible as it is, society does seem to think skinny=better.
i dont think they are banning skinny models. just models that look anorexic. you can usually tell the difference between skinny and anoerxic.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 30th, 2008 at 04:15am
There's a difference between banning models because they are anorexic, than banning them just because they are skinny. There's a big difference between the two.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
April 30th, 2008 at 06:34am
amyy.vengeance:
yes, very true. but a size 16 englad is similar to that here in australia, and its still a larger size.

Thanks to vanity sizing, nobody really knows anymore. I wear a 12 in most brands, a 14 in a couple, and even 16 in Dockers. But if you lay all my pants on top of each other, they are all the same size, just labeled differently. That's US sizes, I don't know if you have that problem elsewhere.

The industry started this trend in a cost-cutting measure, they would make model's clothes in the smaller sizes to save on costs. Now they're realizing what that has done to women's self image, they are taking steps to correct it, but this forum is proof that we have been so indoctrinated to the "skinny" model that a regular sized (excuse me, "plus-size" ) model causes discussion and controversy.

I personally feel that models should represent more kinds of women. Sizes, races, etc. Not everyone in the world is white and size 4.
Teach Me To Drown
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Teach Me To Drown
April 30th, 2008 at 09:15pm
Wow. i think it is really great that someone who isnt a size two is making it just as far as the skinnier girls. It is truely inspiring. Sorry this sounds a little cheesy. im listening to a wicked inspiring song. by MCR of course.. hehe
mein herz brennt
Jazz Hands
mein herz brennt
May 1st, 2008 at 04:40pm
to me i think it show you don't have t be skinny to look great
mein herz brennt
Jazz Hands
mein herz brennt
May 1st, 2008 at 04:40pm
to me i think it show you don't have t be skinny to look great
Rose Tyler
Bleeding on the Floor
Rose Tyler
May 2nd, 2008 at 02:24am
You're not supposed to have to , but a lot of people don't feel that way. I am a size 16 and I am considered FAT all capitals.