Don't have an account? Create one!

Plus-Size Models

AuthorMessage
pye in the sky
Jazz Hands
pye in the sky
June 5th, 2008 at 02:38pm
yerh i think its fab that shes made it that far

and to all you people who are just sayin she overweight need to get a life, what does it matter if shes not a size 10 or whatever, i bet your not perfect either
hunteri heroici.
Always Born a Crime
hunteri heroici.
June 5th, 2008 at 03:30pm
pye in the sky:

and to all you people who are just sayin she overweight need to get a life, what does it matter if shes not a size 10 or whatever, i bet your not perfect either

exactly!
you're right.
It doesn't matte if people are overweight.
Not as long as there's inner beauty.
Heroes.
Fabulous Killjoy
Heroes.
June 6th, 2008 at 03:43am
Simple and Clean:
I am probably going to be scolded by everyone for this, but here goes:

I totally aggree that, it is really great that larger girls are out there saying 'you are beautiful, no matter what size you are'
However, The size 16 model in question, says she is curvy, but in all honesty, she is just over weight.
I sort of agree with you. I am subscribed to a teen magazine, Seventeen, and in each of its issues in the fashion section, they break it down by body types. They have 'curvy thighs,' 'curvy stomach,' and 'curvy all over,' among other categories. I think it's great that this magazine gives bigger girls a chance to model and feel represented. However, I do think the title of 'curvy' is only used so that the girls they are referring to do not feel bad. It would be rude and demeaning to say anything other than curvy (like big, fat, overweight, or even more to love). Although I believe calling these girls 'curvy' is misleading, I also believe it is a good way for girls of those sizes to gain self-esteem.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
June 6th, 2008 at 03:52am
^ Why is it misleading though? Most of the girls in those magazines are curvy. Theres a difference between curvy and overweight.
Heroes.
Fabulous Killjoy
Heroes.
June 6th, 2008 at 03:58am
amyy.vengeance:
^ Why is it misleading though? Most of the girls in those magazines are curvy. Theres a difference between curvy and overweight.
Just to make sure I thoroughly explain my opinion, I would like to know the difference between curvy and overweight before I continue.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 6th, 2008 at 04:10am
^I'm not sure if that was an open question, or just directed at Amy, but I'm going to put my two cents in anyway.

Curvy women, to me, are women who have a definite curvaceous, womanly shape. I think that you can be overweight and still be curvy, but as long as you still have that shape.

HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
June 6th, 2008 at 04:29am
^ Yep. Agreed.
And I think curvy is... sexy. I dunno how to explain exactly, but there definately is a difference. Overweight is usually unhealthy, but curvy is healthy, with a bit of weight on the body. It's just a bit bigger than slim.
Thankyou for the help mindfuck. Smile

On another note, to everyone really, please be careful when you continue, because this can be a touchy issue for people. Just thought I'd point that out. Thankyou Smile
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
June 6th, 2008 at 01:30pm
pye in the sky:

We are aloud an opinion, just because it is not yours, doesn't mean we cannot have it.
Heroes.
Fabulous Killjoy
Heroes.
June 6th, 2008 at 03:15pm
mindfuck.:
^I'm not sure if that was an open question, or just directed at Amy, but I'm going to put my two cents in anyway.

Curvy women, to me, are women who have a definite curvaceous, womanly shape. I think that you can be overweight and still be curvy, but as long as you still have that shape.

It was open, and thank you for clarifying that. I agree that you can be be overweight and curvy, but what I see as misleading is calling these girls curvy only when most of them are curvy and overweight. But like I said earlier, if it makes them feel better about themselves, then I'm all for it. I think what I'm trying to say is our society now has to be politically correct even when referring to body type/size. I'm not sure if politically correct is the accurate term for what I mean, but it's the only one I could think of.
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
June 6th, 2008 at 07:06pm
That WOMAN is not overweight. I'm sorry buy maybe some of you girls compare it with the average size of a 14 year old. Overweight is skin and fat folding. This woman is just normal.
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
June 7th, 2008 at 09:50am
Foible.:
mindfuck.:

It was open, and thank you for clarifying that. I agree that you can be be overweight and curvy, but what I see as misleading is calling these girls curvy only when most of them are curvy and overweight. But like I said earlier, if it makes them feel better about themselves, then I'm all for it. I think what I'm trying to say is our society now has to be politically correct even when referring to body type/size. I'm not sure if politically correct is the accurate term for what I mean, but it's the only one I could think of.

I completely agree. Because in seventeen, they usually mean the curvy styles for people who are overweight, but they say curvy to make people feel better.

I am curvy without being overweight. I'm 5' and 115 lbs, 35-23-34. But now they call anyone who is overweight curvy. Even if they're obese.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely fat-accepting, I have a lot of friends who are overweight and I love them.
Heroes.
Fabulous Killjoy
Heroes.
June 7th, 2008 at 03:38pm
rukan:
I completely agree. Because in seventeen, they usually mean the curvy styles for people who are overweight, but they say curvy to make people feel better.

I am curvy without being overweight. I'm 5' and 115 lbs, 35-23-34. But now they call anyone who is overweight curvy. Even if they're obese.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely fat-accepting, I have a lot of friends who are overweight and I love them.
Thank you for your post. I felt like I was being rude since I am not overweight (although I do consider myself to be curvy) and I was practically calling those girls fat and overweight, but it's good to know someone who can relate to the issue is agreeing with me. Smile
Plague Rat
Jazz Hands
Plague Rat
June 8th, 2008 at 08:36pm
Ok first off i would like to say that I am overwieght . and to me this woman is not extremely over wieght . She is just a bit chunky . I believe that this is the way women were meant to be or at least close to that , but the constant battle to be a size double 0 in the modeling world has corrupted that idea . And now people no longer find it acceptable to be like that . when in reality most people are a little overwieght or just full .
xxWolvenPrincessxx
Joining The Black Parade
xxWolvenPrincessxx
August 5th, 2008 at 11:00am
I think it's great that a size 16 model FINALLy made it..the models that you usually see are always so small, it's good that a bigger girl got a chance.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 5th, 2008 at 03:12pm
I agree with the other people that says this is great, I hate the domegraphic that your only beautiful if your a size zero. I mean I'm 5'7 and about 110 and I look like a cow next to most these models out there, that is wrongm I'm not saying I'm the skinnest person ever, but its just ridiculous. I know way to many girls that say "since I'm not a size 0, I'm so fat!" the girl that used to be my best friend wasn't fat, she was good and now she's anerxic (or claims she is) i think it is all stupid, but this model now gives me hope
xxWolvenPrincessxx
Joining The Black Parade
xxWolvenPrincessxx
August 5th, 2008 at 05:49pm
I agree with my deardelirious, this new model does give us bigger girls hope. Very Happy
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
August 5th, 2008 at 05:51pm
Being "curvy" and healthy is fine. it all boils down to whether or not you're healthy. If your weight is a risk factor for your health, CHANGE IT. I don't care what size models are as long as they're healthy.
xxWolvenPrincessxx
Joining The Black Parade
xxWolvenPrincessxx
August 5th, 2008 at 05:55pm
I agree, but some of the smaller models get sick alot faster because they practically starve themselves to get that small.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 5th, 2008 at 06:27pm
Chris Martin:
Being "curvy" and healthy is fine. it all boils down to whether or not you're healthy. If your weight is a risk factor for your health, CHANGE IT. I don't care what size models are as long as they're healthy.
agreed, and I love their new regulation or the one they are trying to set up that the model can't look so dangerously skinny and is unhealthy. its one thing to exercise and right right and HEALTHY and another to have an eating disorder
Ierosistible
Killjoy
Ierosistible
August 5th, 2008 at 06:43pm
I'm glad the trend is turning to models who are more normally sized. Normal is the key. Not too skinny, not hugely overweight. But curvy or "plus" sized does not necessarily mean overweight. Some people are built to be that way, while still being a healthy weight for their frame. I think healthy is the key word.