Don't have an account? Create one!

Plus-Size Models

AuthorMessage
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 22nd, 2010 at 06:01pm
sexy mama:
its still nasty. i think that plus size models are pretty gross cuz they just look discusting.. i think our world is messed up and are only promoting bigger ppl cuz everyone is getting bigger and its repulsing
How very shallow and rude of you. It's people like you who make people think of themselves very lowly. It's repulsing that people have very small minds, with very shallow mindsets like this. Some people actually can't help how much they weigh, did you ever think that? It's not promoting unhealthiness, it's promoting diversity and showing not everyone has to be between sizes 0 and 6 to be pretty and attractive.

Not everyone has to be the ideal size 0 and 2 to be perfect. I personally took offense to your comment, if you haven't been able to tell, because I'm not skinny. I'm apparently of disgusting size because I don't fit into today's skinny little standards. I don't eat healthy every day, sure, but I don't over-eat and i eat healthy when I can, in fact I'm attempting to cut back again on what I eat. I wouldn't classify myself as unhealthy weight. It's views like YOURS that make the world an unhappy place for people who aren't of regular model size. It's those views that are disgusting, not plus sized models.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
January 22nd, 2010 at 07:37pm
sexy mama:
its still nasty. i think that plus size models are pretty gross cuz they just look discusting.. i think our world is messed up and are only promoting bigger ppl cuz everyone is getting bigger and its repulsing
What do you consider "plus size"? Here in Australia, a size 14 (which is roughly a US size 10 and UK size 12) is considered "plus size", but being a size 14 over here doesn't mean you're overweight.

I reiterate - the only reason why some people bulk at the sight of model who's perhaps a size 14 or size 16 on the runway is because for so long we've favoured models who are size 4s, size, 6s, size 8s etc. (that's in Australian sizing, btw) and we're not used to seeing women on the runway rocking larger sizes. But that doesn't mean that something like a 14 is gross or fat or disgusting. Here in Australia, the average woman is a size 12-14. It isn't gross, it's quite average and normal, really.
Sexy Mama
Banned
Sexy Mama
January 25th, 2010 at 01:31pm
no its cuz i find it discusting. i person really dont want to look at that its so gross
Jenny.
Jenny.
January 25th, 2010 at 01:51pm
Use the spellcheck. It'll be easier for people to understand what you're saying.

Why is it gross? Does this mean you feel the urge to throw up every time you walk on the street?
Coraline.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Coraline.
January 25th, 2010 at 06:44pm
sexy mama:
no its cuz i find it discusting. i person really dont want to look at that its so gross

but your 'fifteen' and had a child,you obviously got big in that time so how can it be so repulsive when technically youve been larger than a size 0 or whatever you are now.

And sorry honey,but most of the world isnt a size 0,alot of women like to be plus size and curvy and not everyone wants to look like they've been flat ironed(Y)

It is rude of you,and yes your entitled to your opinion but as said above,you could use your spellcheck.
You might not come across so niave then.

In the uk the average size for a woman is size 16,and ive saw alot of women larger than that,thier still beautiful.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
January 25th, 2010 at 06:51pm
sexy mama:
So what do you see if you see a 'plus sized' person on the street? Do you let them know how gross you think they are?

There's nothing gross about a normal sized person. And I use 'normal' because over here plus size is considered the 'average' or 'normal' sized woman.

That's not to say I think smaller people look gross. I think people need to learn to accept or at least tolerate the fact that there will always be people that are different sizes. We are not all created as the same size.
Sexy Mama
Banned
Sexy Mama
January 26th, 2010 at 11:12am
i just find it gross. to me yea you can be bigger or smaller but girls with celulite and fat its just gross. and they really should not be posing in tiny clothes for pictures
Jenny.
Jenny.
January 26th, 2010 at 11:42am
you've just contradicted yourself. So it's okay to be "big", but it's not okay to be "fat". Surely the two in that context would be synonyms, so that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
January 26th, 2010 at 11:57am
I'm not playing the Devil's Advocate, and I'm not saying this just because I'm a guy, etc, but I do kind of see where sexy mama is coming from. Generally, fat (I'm thinking very large, obese even) women are perceived as being less attractive than thinner women. Most people think that a thinner woman (read - healthy weight) is more attractive, and aesthetically pleasing than an obese woman, and therefore, putting your clothes on a more pleasing model is going to sell more of them than putting them on someone who is so large, it risks making your carefully designed clothes look like a cross between a tent, and a table cloth.

Usually, the women who are classed as 'plus size models' are actually healthy sized women, they are usually between 10, and 14 (US), (12-16, UK), which is a relatively healthy size to be. Ideally being on the smaller end of that is better than being on the bigger size, but it's fine.

Personally, I think any extreme of body size is bad. I find skeletal, emaciated women just as grotesque as overly large women. Either way it's bad. I personally do not understand why clothes can't be modeled on the women that are going to wear them? Most women on the high street are not size 0, nor are they size 20, they are usually between 8, and 12 (10-14 UK) that is, what I would say, is the healthy average size that a woman should be.

If clothes were shown on women that size, there would be less pressure to be skinny, and there would not need to be this debate over plus sized models.

the medusa cascade.:
you've just contradicted yourself. So it's okay to be "big", but it's not okay to be "fat". Surely the two in that context would be synonyms, so that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

I think what she is trying to say (at least what I choose to believe she is trying to say) is that it is fine to be overweight, but not obese. It's fine to be chunky, cuddly, big boned, whatever, but if you are actually just obese, then there is a problem.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 26th, 2010 at 12:14pm
But you see, I said above that I was in no way overweight or obese, and she still insisted it was disgusting. If she meant that it was just obese people who were disgusting, she had the opportunity to deny it when I pointed it out to begin with. Instead, she said no its cuz i find it discusting. i person really dont want to look at that its so gross. She said nothing about: "oh i just find obese people gross and would not like to look at them", she said its still nasty. i think that plus size models are pretty gross cuz they just look discusting.. i think our world is messed up and are only promoting bigger ppl cuz everyone is getting bigger and its repulsing, when the plus size model is in no way near obese. She said nothing about obesity whatsoever.
Coraline.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Coraline.
January 26th, 2010 at 12:20pm
sexy mama:
i just find it gross. to me yea you can be bigger or smaller but girls with celulite and fat its just gross. and they really should not be posing in tiny clothes for pictures

And tbh 'should not be posing in tiny clothes for pictures'

So it makes it right for a size zero to do it?
There is no difference,your either big or small,you wear what you like,you express yourself through your clothes,and if they make you feel good you wear them.

If a woman who's plus size wants to be an underwear model for example,whats wrong in that
Or would you rather see her ribs.

And just because your overwieght,it doesnt mean your going to have cellulite :/
it sounds alot like your just being ignorant tbh.
For a long time the way people have thought about thier weight is that anything above a size ten is overwieght.

Its not gross,its a body,its curvy,its natural,and thier not starving themselves either.
Sexy Mama
Banned
Sexy Mama
January 26th, 2010 at 01:53pm
and its nasty!!!! i hate seeing crap like that. its so gross. and im not ignorant. and yes it is ok cuz it looks alot better not so nasty and fat
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 26th, 2010 at 02:28pm
sexy mama:
and its nasty!!!! i hate seeing crap like that. its so gross. and im not ignorant. and yes it is ok cuz it looks alot better not so nasty and fat
Every single post you've made has held ignorant comments about people who aren't ideally thin. You've been nothing but rude about people's weight, and that's the gross thing. Every girl is made differently, why do girls have to grow up looking at stick thin models and think "oh that's what I have to look like to be pretty". That's wrong, and downright terrible
Jenny.
Jenny.
January 26th, 2010 at 04:49pm
sexy mama:

Explain this. WHY is it nasty? You keep saying it's disgusting, it's nasty, it's gross - but you never give reasons to back up your opinion. To me, that is ignorance. I'm sure you wouldn't agree if I said that teenage parenthood is disgusting, nasty and gross, and that would clearly be an ignorant blanket statement, no?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
January 26th, 2010 at 06:46pm
Jake Sully:
Most people think that a thinner woman (read - healthy weight) is more attractive
Just because one is 'thin' it doesn't mean they are of a healthy weight. It's actually more unhealthy to be underweight than is to be overweight, and there are models out there who are underweight.

Jake Sully:
and therefore, putting your clothes on a more pleasing model is going to sell more of them than putting them on someone who is so large, it risks making your carefully designed clothes look like a cross between a tent, and a table cloth.
I think one of the problems with most of the fashion industry is that designers design the clothes to fit around the person, not design the clothes so the person just fits into them. I think we need to stop seeing models as coat hangers and start realising that it makes more sense to design clothes for women (and men, of course) rather than just design clothes for only a specific type of woman (or man) to wear.

Believe it or not, it isn't just skinny people who are into high fashion, and I think, economically, designers are doing a disservice to themselves because they could be making money out of a whole new sect of people they are excluding by only making clothes that go up to, like, size 8 (AU). Think of all the new customers fashion houses would have is they went up a few sizes?

Jake Sully:
Usually, the women who are classed as 'plus size models' are actually healthy sized women, they are usually between 10, and 14 (US), (12-16, UK), which is a relatively healthy size to be. Ideally being on the smaller end of that is better than being on the bigger size, but it's fine
Being on the "smaller" end isn't necessarily better. You can be a size 12 and not be overweight. It depends on your build. Not everyone is built to be a size 2 or 4. Some people are just naturally larger in structure, so even if they would be a normal weight, they may still be a size 12 or 14.

-

This is a slight off shoot from the plus size discussion, but I think the same could be said for shorter models too. Even if the industry accepts plus sized women wholeheartedly, there's still the issue of height - because most models usually are required to be over 5'8", which completely excludes women and men who are shorter. And considering the fact that in most countries the average height of a woman is around 5'5", it's kind of also discriminatory.

I think the fashion industry should just be overhauled so people of all different heights and weights should be able to model clothes. Because at the moment, that's only reserved for thin people who are around 5'10".
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
January 26th, 2010 at 07:38pm
Mindfuck:

This is a slight off shoot from the plus size discussion, but I think the same could be said for shorter models too. Even if the industry accepts plus sized women wholeheartedly, there's still the issue of height - because most models usually are required to be over 5'8", which completely excludes women and men who are shorter. And considering the fact that in most countries the average height of a woman is around 5'5", it's kind of also discriminatory.

I think the fashion industry should just be overhauled so people of all different heights and weights should be able to model clothes. Because at the moment, that's only reserved for thin people who are around 5'10".

This is only partially incorrect, which I say as someone who shoots in the model photography/fashion photography industry and speaks to multiple full-time models.

All sizes and shapes of models are acceptable - it just depends on what type of modeling you are doing.

If you'd like to be a high-fashion runway model, then you are correct - there are certain measurement standards that are expected to be met before anything else is considered, although there are sometimes exceptions to a short extent. For fashion, beauty and glamor models in magazines, clothing store signage, billboards, and pretty much everything you're probably picturing when you think of the word "model," a slim or at least "thin" body type is recommended, but short has very little to do with it! In fact, many models who end up being far too short for runway work are recommended to, and often do, work in commercial fashion, etc. and find it a well-paying and satisfying career.

And, of course there, are some commercial outlets for plus-size, as we're discussing here, but it is MUCH harder to break into that industry. Many of them can do artistic nudes, fetish, bondage and other types of modeling, though it's typically through the Internet that they find many of their clients. but let's face it - this body type is relatively new, so it's going to take time for an industry as mean and cutthroat as this one to acquire the taste for plus-size. I know I see some hottie plus models out there! Razz

TL;DR - your wish has been answered, pretty much - short models can do work anywhere except runway, really.

Also, my third edit here - we have to think from the model's point of view. there's always the decision of whether or not a model would like to be agency-represented. Believe it or not, many models are self-managed or are at least managed by a small team. While an agency may be less lenient on body type, I have a few friends that model part- and full-time and they are quite curvy! One of them in particular is not at ALL typical in looks or stature of your typical "Gucci" model, but she makes a living from what she does.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
January 27th, 2010 at 12:54am
^I was talking about runway, to be clear. I realise that catalogue etc. models are slightly different - if I open up a Target catalogue, I'm going to see women and girls of different sizes. But I was talking about runway models because I know that seems to be a 'prestigious' area of modelling a lot of girls aspire to, and to me at least it seems like it's the area of modelling that is the most discriminatory when it comes to body size.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
January 27th, 2010 at 05:47am
True, but I wouldn't say that most models aspire to do that - for many, it doesn't even enter consideration.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
January 27th, 2010 at 07:33am
^In my defense, I said "a lot" not "most" Wink

I don't have any statistics on it, but I wasn't trying to say most of them wanted to be runway models. I was just implying it seems popular.
Sexy Mama
Banned
Sexy Mama
January 27th, 2010 at 11:07am
its nasty because it looks bad