Plus-Size Models

AuthorMessage
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
January 27th, 2010 at 11:19am
sexy mama:
its nasty because it looks bad

in this forum, you have to have things to back up your opinions. You've been warned enough. Be judgmental and derogatory all you please, but if you can't stay out of a discussion when you have nothing useful to add, a temp ban of two weeks will be headed your way.

You're only serving to steer this thread away from meaningful discussion. For the last time, stop.
Coraline.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Coraline.
January 27th, 2010 at 11:33am
sexy mama:

your just annoying me now

It doesnt matter what weight you are,plus size,underweight,or normal.

Im a size 6,i think plus size is beautiful, i wish i had that kind of body.

your extremely ignorant and need to grow up.
Sexy Mama
Banned
Sexy Mama
January 27th, 2010 at 02:18pm
my point proven big girls see it as ok if they are plus size
Coraline.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Coraline.
January 27th, 2010 at 03:05pm
A size six is a american size 0 you idiot
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 27th, 2010 at 03:11pm
sexy mama:
Are you trolling or something? Seriously? Being a plus size isn't disgusting. I'd rather look the way I do now than be a size 0 and have your attitude towards "bigger people".

You're being offensive and you're contributing nothing to this discussion. If you can't post more than one sentence, this section isn't for you
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
January 27th, 2010 at 05:50pm
sexy mama:
Well... to you. Luckily though, most people I associate with don't mind people who are over a size 4. I say luckily, otherwise I'd have no friends.

Because, you know... apparently I'm gross and fat.

sexy mama:
You're right - I personally don't see plus size as being a bad thing. Because I understand that there are people in this world who are different shapes and sizes. Unfortunately, some people like yourself are too closed minded to see beyond a certain size.
Lights
Salute You in Your Grave
Lights
January 30th, 2010 at 02:04am
Some people have just not been raised well to look past an asthetic opinion of someone. It's sad, really. Especially since someone who constantly criticizes others must really have some insecurities they're trying to cover up by using behavior that truly comes across as pathetic.

I personally am not plus-sized, but I see this as a great thing. I think it's important to represent people from all walks of life, whether that be culturally or body-wise.
But not all people who would qualify as "overweight" on a BMI are unhealthy. It becomes a health problem when it begins effecting things such as blood-pressure or your heart.
Weight has become an increasingly misunderstood thing, because most people just think chubbier people are automatically unhealthy.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 30th, 2010 at 09:15am

I haven't read all replies to this topic, I apologize if I've missed something. :]

I prefer plus sized models to size 0 models. I find these women more attractive than women like this.
When I see a model of a skinny girl wearing a fashionable piece of clothing, I won't buy it. Why? Because I am a larger girl and I know I won't look as good. If I know that I won't look as attractive as the model in the clothing, all it does is weigh me down even more emotionally.
Taking out my whole 'self-esteem' debate, bigger girls, in my opinion, are absolutely gorgeous. I find curves way more attractive than a skeleton and find myself more likely to buy a product with larger women in it than with a skinny model. In a business aspect, it makes me view the company as realistic and more likely to understand me, making me more susceptible to buy their product. It makes me feel good knowing that the company caters to women from all walks of life, not just hollywood stick-thin models.

I hope my post wasn't completely irrelevant to the current arguement Smile
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
January 30th, 2010 at 06:02pm
^ That model is emaciated with a serious medical issue. There are thin models who are quite thin that do not look like that - I think that's a misrepresentation of the modeling community.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 30th, 2010 at 10:03pm

^ I was using an extreme picture to try prove my point, but I know you're right. I know that the models in the fashion world do not always look emaciated or 'sick' but I hoped an extreme image would help prove my point.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
January 30th, 2010 at 11:40pm
I don't know; you did not use an extreme image of a heavier woman.

This is an overweight model that I talk to regularly. I think that's more accurate, as far as being in line with your "skinny" model.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 31st, 2010 at 02:11am

Even so, I find the picture you provided a lot more appealing than one of a super skinny model.

Maybe I've just attatched so many negative emotions to skinny models that I'm completely biased. Neutral
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
January 31st, 2010 at 11:21am
Well I definitely agree; I find it more attractive as well, but both examples are very unhealthy.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
February 9th, 2010 at 10:37am
Mindfuck:
Jake Sully:
Most people think that a thinner woman (read - healthy weight) is more attractive
Just because one is 'thin' it doesn't mean they are of a healthy weight. It's actually more unhealthy to be underweight than is to be overweight, and there are models out there who are underweight.
I would like to make it clear that I said thinner, not thin. Slim, slender, not skinny.

Personally, I think that this girl is a better size than this girl, or even this girl. However, I find this girl more attractive than any of the above. Many people might disagree with me there, but that's my opinion.

This photo has 3 girls which you can see their top-halfs. I think the girl in the gray has a better figure than the girl in the purple, who in turn has a better figure than the girl in the red.

I don't find extremes of body size attractive, and I don't think that it is appropriate to have either of them as the image that clothes are shown on.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 11th, 2010 at 11:11pm
Jake Sully:

I don't find extremes of body size attractive, and I don't think that it is appropriate to have either of them as the image that clothes are shown on.
Why is only about what certain people find attractive?

Personally, I would like to live in a world where all different shapes and sizes are represented in the fashion industry (and on the runway).

And I don't know where you got the idea of extremes from. The sizes we've mainly been discussing are not "extremes". Size 12 or 14 or even 16 isn't extreme. Those sizes are mainly the sizes most plus size models fall into, and depending on the country you live in - are quite average sizes.
Chemical Catastrophe
Awake and Unafraid
Chemical Catastrophe
February 16th, 2010 at 11:48am
I think that plus size models are a good idea. It's a good image for girls so that they aren't hating themselves just because they aren't starving themselves. It's nice to see girls who are plus size who are confident enough to be models. Those make good role models for girls out there who may have started having a bad body image.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
February 17th, 2010 at 11:25am
Mindfuck:
And I don't know where you got the idea of extremes from. The sizes we've mainly been discussing are not "extremes". Size 12 or 14 or even 16 isn't extreme. Those sizes are mainly the sizes most plus size models fall into, and depending on the country you live in - are quite average sizes.
That's the thing though, the 'plus-size' models aren't 'plus-size'. They are average sized women. It's wrong that the clothes designed for average sized women are modeled on tiny women, and the clothes designed for larger women are modelled on average women.
nina;
Awake and Unafraid
nina;
February 19th, 2010 at 06:13pm
I somewhat disagree with you guys, and I want to share my controversial opinion, as this is a discussion forum.

I actually don't prefer "plus-size"-models over "thin" models, or whatever is politically correct to call them. Fashion, and what the average woman looks like, is two totally different things to me. A model on the job is not a woman, but a clothes hanger, on which the designers put their creations on, for show. The industry is what it is, and I prefer it that way. I'm a bit chubby myself, and maybe in real life I do prefer a woman with a bit of an ass, but no thanks in fashion.

I prefer this over this and this.
Sorry if I offended someone.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
February 19th, 2010 at 10:48pm
There's opinion and being downright rude. I personally don't view what you said as offensive, however if you're going to be disrespectful about it then there's going to be backlash.

When I think plus size model, I think of the average-y girls, not like the last picture you linked to. like this. I don't understand why all models have to be stick thin, I think girls like Whitney from ANTM (the linked above girl) should be the face of modeling, not size 0 twigs. You see them modeling fashion, but on how many occasions does one honestly someone who looks near skeletal in real life? I mean there's skinny girls and then skeleton-like models. It's an unrealistic view.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 19th, 2010 at 11:53pm
nina;:
I somewhat disagree with you guys, and I want to share my controversial opinion, as this is a discussion forum.

I actually don't prefer "plus-size"-models over "thin" models, or whatever is politically correct to call them. Fashion, and what the average woman looks like, is two totally different things to me. A model on the job is not a woman, but a clothes hanger, on which the designers put their creations on, for show. The industry is what it is, and I prefer it that way. I'm a bit chubby myself, and maybe in real life I do prefer a woman with a bit of an ass, but no thanks in fashion.

I prefer this over this and this.
Sorry if I offended someone.
Why are you apologising for having an opinion?

If you came out and said - like someone else on this thread - that plus size models are disgusting and gross, then yeah, that's offensive because it vilifies a specific group.

I have to ask though, why must fashion only be for small people? There are a lot of people who are naturally skinny and can be runway models successfully, but then there are people do not fit naturally into that body type. So why all this exclusive bullshit? Why all the thin privilege? Why aren't average sized women (and men) able to accepted into high fashion?

The reason why I disagree with you has less to do with it being "offensive" and a lot more to do with the fact that it just doesn't make sense and reeks of elitism. And I don't like elitism, I think it's pointless, rude and snobby.