Don't have an account? Create one!

The Experiment Competition

AuthorMessage
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
April 23rd, 2008 at 07:41pm
So, I mean experiment not like the competition is an experiment, but that I want your stuff to be an experiment.
I've noticed, in all the other competitions, the stuff tends to use the same techniques the same time. Changes to coloring, textures added, text added, cropping changed, and that's about it. No offense to the entrants, I mean, I enter too, but it got a little boring, since there's so much more to Photoshop that's there.

So, I thought I'd create something that encourages messing around.
And I think that for now, at least, I'm gonna kinda center it around one 'technique' per competition, though you don't have to stick with that, but the prompt will encourage it. And if you don't know how to do it, ASK ME. It's not about the steps, it's about what you do with them, so I'll definitely help you. (Obviously, I'm not the only one who can help you, I'm just trying to say that it's okay to get that kind of help.)

So anyhow, as this is to encourage experimentation and creativity, if you don't do enough with the image, I'll reject it. Don't take that in an "o noez, evil" kind of way, though, because I'll tell you that you need to do more and give you another chance, and the prompts won't generally allow for anything that will do that (at least, hopefully not).

Anyway, without talking on and on and on, here's the basic rules, just like the other ones, pretty much.
Arright. I guess it starts wednesday now, but generally, I think it'll start friday. I'll give you until wednesday and then post the entries, and then you have 'til next friday to vote. I figure it's better to mix it up so this doesn't go on the same schedule as all the others, so you guys always have something you can enter, if you want.

Images must be small enough to fit on to INO and not stretch people's pages, and not any longer than that is wide. You can probably figure it out yourselves, yes?
They must be made for this competition, don't tell people which one is yours, etc.
So yeah.

First prompt is based around "blending", I guess, since it's sticking different images together. The prompt itself is FANTASY. In the magical sort of way, not your dreams of fucking Gerard Way or something. Sorry, you can do that for your own enjoyment, I guess, but it doesn't fit here. (;
So anyhow, the images you start with must be normal real life images, they can't be like that beforehand. Some things you could do would be making a magical beast like a dragon or a griffin (like dragon could be lizard and bat, or even lizard and butterfly, or you could do something like a frog with moth wings, and griffin is kinda self explanitory), you could make someone somehow casting a spell, you could just make something weird like things the wrong size or in places they could never be, just as long as it needs magic or something to be like that.

I suggest sxc.hu as a good place to find images, they're nice and big.

Anyhow, hopefully you don't get too confused or put off by my long explanation attempts, please, enter!
Good luck, you all.

Oh, and PM me your entries, yep.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 23rd, 2008 at 07:52pm
crowley.:
The prompt itself is FANTASY. In the magical sort of way, not your dreams of fucking Gerard Way or something. Sorry, you can do that for your own enjoyment, I guess, but it doesn't fit here. (;

I don't think you give us all enough credit. I'm pretty sure we could figure that out. (;
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
April 23rd, 2008 at 07:52pm
Just thought I'd say. =]
Lawl, I'd just been in that thread in the personal questions forum, and then I realized the other meaning of fantasy. x]
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 23rd, 2008 at 07:59pm
Ahahahaha, oh god. Well remember, there was a fantasy-themed competition elsewhere a week or so ago, and luckily that did fine. XD
Heartquake
Salute You in Your Grave
Heartquake
April 23rd, 2008 at 09:47pm
Ooh, this sounds really really cool. I know that the theme is blending but can we add textures, coloring, etc still?
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
April 23rd, 2008 at 10:18pm
Yeah, totally. (=

You're free to add whatever, and if you wanted to make it using, say, liquify, you're totally allowed to do that, I just did a theme that mostly makes you use blending. I don't want to shut stuff off.
Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
April 24th, 2008 at 12:47am
hmm i think i'll try to keep up with this competition, even if i have some crap program and not photoshop
The Master.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Master.
April 24th, 2008 at 01:43am
this is right up my street (y)
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
April 24th, 2008 at 12:09pm
I don't think I'll enter because I can't blend well, lol, but I really love the idea and I look forward too seeing the entries.
starktreks
Devil's Got Your Number
starktreks
April 24th, 2008 at 01:04pm
doomsday.:
I don't think I'll enter because I can't blend well, lol, but I really love the idea and I look forward too seeing the entries.
kinney.
Bulletproof Heart
kinney.
April 24th, 2008 at 01:40pm
wow, this sounds so awesome.
i doubt i'll do very well, but fuck it!
i'll give it a go anyways.
;]
great idea, liz.
Battery Acid
Salute You in Your Grave
Battery Acid
April 24th, 2008 at 02:57pm
Nice idea!

*Goes off and tries to come up with some embarrasment of an entry*
Scartist
Jazz Hands
Scartist
April 24th, 2008 at 06:07pm
crowley.:

Images must be small enough to fit on to INO and not stretch people's pages, and not any longer than that is wide.

Does that mean it cannot be longer than the width of the page or the width of the picture?
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
April 24th, 2008 at 06:26pm
I spent hours earlier making my entry. Then it all went wrong last minute and I got mad and quit out of Photoshop in a snap-decision-kind-of-way. ><
I'll start over soon. xp
blackened
Bleeding on the Floor
blackened
April 24th, 2008 at 06:36pm
I realllly love this idea.
I can't guarantee that I'll enter, but it has definitely inspired me to try some new things.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
April 24th, 2008 at 09:45pm
Scartist:

Does that mean it cannot be longer than the width of the page or the width of the picture?

Picture. I knew that phrasing failed. x_____x

The Rumor.:
I spent hours earlier making my entry. Then it all went wrong last minute and I got mad and quit out of Photoshop in a snap-decision-kind-of-way. ><
I'll start over soon. xp
D:
Aww, I hate when that happens.
And also when I forget to save and someone quits it when it's almost done.

Anyhow, I won't be here until Sunday, but that won't mess with any scheduling, so it's okay. (:
And it's nice to see the amount of responses this has gotten. =D
Good luck all of you, seriously, it'll be awesome.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
April 28th, 2008 at 01:33pm
Guys, I've gotten one entry, and there's only two days until they get posted.
I know a lot of you were interested, so please don't think that someone else is automatically gonna submit so there will be enough, make something, k? (:
The Master.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Master.
April 28th, 2008 at 01:44pm
i started one but then i like started something else.
i have problems with finishing things.
i'll do it tonight and get it in. (y)
macaque.
Banned
macaque.
April 28th, 2008 at 02:06pm
I might have a go later; this sounds real cool, it's just I can get a bit lazy x]

//I've just made the most random picture/banner thing ever lmfao
I really surprised myself with it! xD
kinney.
Bulletproof Heart
kinney.
April 28th, 2008 at 02:41pm
D:
when's the deadline for sending it in?
i have one almost done, but it's on the other computer.