Don't have an account? Create one!

15th May 2008 - Daily Mail; 'why no child is safe from the sinister cult of emo'

AuthorMessage
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
May 19th, 2008 at 11:22pm
they need brains.
FUCK THE DAILY MAIL
Girl_Anachronism
Joining The Black Parade
Girl_Anachronism
May 20th, 2008 at 08:26pm
I love that Levi story. But the main article is very Tragic, but being emo is no excuse! I think her commiting suicide was really probably a mental sickness, deep depression or the parents aren't telling us something else that happened to her. But that's just me.
Bittersweet Spell
Killjoy
Bittersweet Spell
May 20th, 2008 at 09:22pm
Scentless Apprentice:
LMFAO at the person who said "We should be banning these 'bands' " XD Some people....
I know i would really love to see how that would go down..it wouldnt
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
May 21st, 2008 at 04:27am
mental_scottish_lass:
Dear Editor,
I am writing to you today as I am appalled and extremely upset with the articles that yourself and your team continue to write upon the subject of ‘Teen suicide cults.’ I feel all the information which you have included in your articles is incorrect and is not only giving a bad name to mainly the band My Chemical Romance, but also to the teenagers who listen and feel they are best suited to the music and fashion scene which they follow.

Do you seriously wake up every morning and decide today I will dress ‘Emo’ and tomorrow maybe I could dress ‘Chav’.

The people who dress in black, with a long black straightened fringe to one side with tight fitting jeans feel comfortable dressing in this way, and feel they are within a crowd they feel safe to be in. I personally would never find myself dressing in the ’Emo’ style which you persist on implying, and stand in a group of ‘Chavs’ who are dressed in there fake Burberry scarves with the tracksuit bottoms tucked into there socks. A person who crosses this line would merely be chased away with a bottle implanted into the skull and a pen knife in the back.
I feel it is very wrong and inconsiderate of you to base people’s actions on the way they dress and to the music which they listen too. This is like saying all people who listen to dance and rave music are high on ecstasy every time they listen to that type of music, when clearly this is what they like and feel comfortable listening too.

I feel extremely sorry for the parents of the young girl who felt she had to rid herself from this world but I feel it is a mere coincidence that she began to listen to My Chemical Romance. None of the lyrics despite there names tell anybody to go and cut themselves or engage in any suicidal tendency’s. The only reason I could see this is if the listener misinterpreted the lyrics and the message the band has given off. I do not believe this is the case as none of the songs or messages given off by the band are ‘promoting’ death in the way you have been saying!

Please reply back.

Well said, Lisa. Clap hug

btw everyone, here's the Fuck The Daily Mail vid. (as if u havent seen it! but in case u haven't)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWSFiC3FVoE
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
May 21st, 2008 at 04:29am
just curious -- coz ive never read it -- is the DM typically in habit of writing such brain-draining articles with the maturity & intellectual depth of a 10-year-old?

(no insult to 10-yr-olds btw)
Bess Houdini
Fabulous Killjoy
Bess Houdini
May 21st, 2008 at 06:13am
Just so you know, they were talking about "emo" on the BBC today. i think maybe just talking about the insanity going on in Mexico...but...y'know. I just got out of the shower, I missed it. Too busy putting on my skinny jeans and black t-shirts and drying my dyed hair... *rolls eyes*
Jenny.
Jenny.
May 21st, 2008 at 10:09am
Collision Kiss:
just curious -- coz ive never read it -- is the DM typically in habit of writing such brain-draining articles with the maturity & intellectual depth of a 10-year-old?

(no insult to 10-yr-olds btw)

Yes
tattooed lovers.
Motor Baby
tattooed lovers.
May 21st, 2008 at 09:02pm
Hahaha. They won't post my friend's and my comments. XD
My friend, a mother, even listens to MCR. Her kids do. We're a suicide cult, now? Hmm.. wow. I did not know that at all.
Let me listen to Famous Last Words, and think about what I just heard..
Hurry, stop your children, before your teenage boy dons eyeliner! Rolling Eyes

The Daily Mail disgusts me..
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
May 22nd, 2008 at 02:14am
next thing u know, they'll start the equivalent of that Harry Potter book-burning fiasco started by christian fundamentalists. touch wood, if u ever see someone putting a MyChem CD on a bonfire, do tear their eyes out for me....
Starlite Decay.
Bleeding on the Floor
Starlite Decay.
May 22nd, 2008 at 02:24am
People need to seriously get some brains.
That article was pointless and just a bunch of rambling on about how emo kids are baaaaaaaaad.
MagentaCR
Killjoy
MagentaCR
May 22nd, 2008 at 04:50am
Her favourite T-shirt is patterned with skulls, and she spends hours in her room listening to music by My Chemical Romance.

"Their lyrics seem to be associated with depression and self-harm, and I feel shock when I listen to them," says her mother.

That bit made me so mad. Sure they tounch on depression, but with the theme off pulling through it, like famous last words was about Mikeys depression, but it says 'i am not afraid to keep on living'
And self harm.. the only 2 i can think of times the refer to it is definitly not in a positive go do it light!
She obviously wan't listening at all if that what she thought of it!!
*closes eyes and trys to calm down*

the "black parade" ? a place where emos believe they go after they die.

okay, so that bit made me smile. The black parade is legend.

although i guess in this light they're trying to make it seem like a belief that already exsisted, and that 'welcome to the black pareade' means 'die and join us'
obviously no clue about the concept behind it at all
Arithmetic Doll
Salute You in Your Grave
Arithmetic Doll
May 22nd, 2008 at 09:08pm
f*ck the daily mail.
they don't understand how music communicates. sheesh why don't they just stop criticizing My Chem? f*ck them
Mass Hysteria
Killjoy
Mass Hysteria
May 23rd, 2008 at 09:16pm
That bit about dressing up emo to be individual made me laugh, there is absolutely nothing individual about being or looking 'emo' in the slightest

The emo fashion is sold in Claires accesories, for god's sake!
janerd_xomcr
Killjoy
janerd_xomcr
May 24th, 2008 at 04:00am
I hear that mail is always critising My Chem.
Emo is just fcked up now. I hate it.
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
May 28th, 2008 at 11:51pm
Love_Revenge:
I love that Levi story. ...

I know! <3
Every time I read this article, I'm shocked by how an eleven-year-old can grasp concepts that a bunch of adults have yet to understand.

"I think many of the concerns around emos aren't true," [Levi] says.

"To me, emos skateboard a lot, dress in darker colours and listen to alternative rock music.

"It's also true they probably think about feelings more than other people.

"I do get teased for being an emo because some people at school think it's just about suicide and self-harm.

"But I think you would have to be depressed already to self-harm ? and I'm not depressed.

"I like going out dressed in emo clothes because it causes a stir. There aren't many emos where I live, so people look at you.

"It makes you feel individual."

If I ever met this little girl, I'd give her a huge hug and tell her she's probably the smartest eleven year old I know <3
Just because you "skateboard a lot, dress in darker colours, and listen to alternative rock music" - Levi's definition of an "emo" - doesn't mean you're going go go practice self-mutilation. Obviously if you're taking a blade to your wrist, you need help, It has nothing to do with the clothes you wear. And Levi gets that, so why can't the rest of the world figure it out?!
Bravo, Levi. You're too cute <3
Three Cheers for Levi!
demolitionloversmway
Thinking Happy Thoughts
demolitionloversmway
June 1st, 2008 at 05:01pm
wow obviously that girl was going through things but people ecspecialy parents r so ridiculous these days
when i hear people say things like this it makes me sooo pissed off becuase everything they brought up is entirely untrue
yea mayb its just me but i dunno any "emo cults" ecspecially any that make you cut yourself to be in it thats just disgusting if she was in a club like that then they were lunetics
emo is a type of music not a type of person
and the mcr thing AHGHHH!H!!!! its soo stupid literally theyre music helps not hurts and mcr says that they think emo is shit
SO THERE YOU HATERS!!!
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
June 1st, 2008 at 11:20pm
buahaha look who had the last laugh. the march was a success & proved to anyone who noticed that MCR fans may be a lot of things, but a suicide cult is not one of em. as for the black parade, i'd b glad to join it when i'm dead....but not till then! (everybody chant: I Am Not Afraid To Keep On Living.....)
Patrick Martin Stump
Motor Baby
Patrick Martin Stump
June 3rd, 2008 at 06:56am
bloody mary.:
Queen Victoria only wore black after her husband died... is she the mother of all emos?

WIN lmfao