May 23rd 2008; A Message From My Chemical Romance

AuthorMessage
NewHairSameShit.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
NewHairSameShit.
June 11th, 2008 at 02:02am
Wonderfully put. <3 I fucking love this band, I couldn't ever imagine loving
another band this much. EVER.

And, I'm wondering...where's the thing at to join Keep The Faith '08?
Thank you! =)
Lightning Zap
Motor Baby
Lightning Zap
June 11th, 2008 at 04:54am
SkittleiciousRomance:

Thank you! =)

I believe you just put it in your signature.
Jenny.
Jenny.
June 11th, 2008 at 10:12am
SkittleiciousRomance:

Thank you! =)

As Zap said before, you simply have to put it in your signature (:
Everyone is welcome to join
Funeral.Harlequin.13
Killjoy
Funeral.Harlequin.13
June 14th, 2008 at 02:51am
That's why i effing luv them..
awake and unafraid.
Really Not Okay
awake and unafraid.
July 5th, 2008 at 04:45pm
Honestly, could these guys be any better?

This just proves what fantastic people they are.
demolitionloversmway
Thinking Happy Thoughts
demolitionloversmway
July 5th, 2008 at 09:47pm
sandersidle:
<333
Couldn't have said it better myself.

my thoughts exactly
Sally Stitches.
Awake and Unafraid
Sally Stitches.
July 12th, 2008 at 12:19am
I think we all need to organize another protest march against the daily mail. ><

Anyone live close enough to Vancouver? xD
Pansy Wolf
Fabulous Killjoy
Pansy Wolf
July 12th, 2008 at 03:39pm
Dang at me only just seeing this thread.
AWhh, how i love those boys.
That last sentance reminded me of old times.
Of the performances o their three cheers tour.
God they're so incredible, and took it in the right way rather than believing it was their fault (which obviously is totally wrong)
<333
kid from yesterday.
Bleeding on the Floor
kid from yesterday.
July 14th, 2008 at 03:01am
Excuse me, wow, talk about uncalled for.

You posted your opinion, here's mine:

1) The lyrics you quoted have absolutely nothing to do with encouraging suicide. Anyone with half a brain would research about the song's meaning, before jumping to negative conclusions about what the song is about. If that's the case, why aren't lyrics like, "You got me suicidal, suicidal" being pointed out by the media about "encouraging" suicide? Because the media - and obviously, people who play up to whatever they say - take things and run with it. If you quote something like that and call it an encouragement to suicide, you can quote basically anything and call it an encouragement to suicide. First point - invalid.

2) You obviously don't know of the album's concept story. It's a fictional, metaphorical way of writing lyrics - not everything has to be taken seriously. Not everything is written as fact and biblical.

3) The part about us wearing all black, painting our nails and wearing eyeliner is just ridiculous, immature and completely off the point: because I can safely say that NONE of the people here who DO dress that way do it because they think it's cool. It's the stupid stigma that the generally ignorant public believes, how people who listen to this band automatically dresses like that - see how you jumped to that conclusion easily? I wear color. I don't use black nail polish. Probably most of the people here dress however they want - ghetto, preppy, whatever - but what does your dress sense have anything to do with your music taste? So what if you wear black? Does that automatically mean we all cut ourselves in a corner and lament about how life is awful? Hm, no.

4) This type of music brings kids down? Then why the hell are there people saying that it doesn't? Why are there people who literally STOP doing horrible things to themselves when they START listening to MCR? How come there's a message board full of kids who are alive and happy? This type of music only brings kids down because people like you, and the media, WANT it to bring kids down. Those sad attempts ain't working.

5) I don't see how their messages are not positive. I don't see how "I am not afraid to keep on living" can be taken to mean "Go kill yourself, little idiots". I don't see how them standing on stage and saying that "Suicide is a bullshit way out" isn't positive. I don't see how discouraging self-harm, and violence, and instead encouraging creative outputs, isn't positive.

6) You joined just to bash a band based on unfounded assumptions? =\
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 14th, 2008 at 03:20am
pinkslip:
This band is characterized as emo for a reason. This type of music brings kids down, not gives them faith and encouragement. How many of you wear all black, paint your nails black, and wear thick black eyeliner because you think it's cool?

T-t-t-t-troll!!!!!! Nice touch, though, adding that their music is good, right at the end. btw, Anon, how many of you waste countless hours concerning yourself with what a bunch of 14 year olds and a band are doing, are experiencing a serious case of joblessness, and don't even have enough strength in your conviction to avoid forming conga lines at lunchtime with those you claim to despise? Exactly.
kid from yesterday.
Bleeding on the Floor
kid from yesterday.
July 14th, 2008 at 04:17am

1. You seem to have overlooked the fact that "it isn't that much fun" is in the lyric you quoted. If it affects the mind of a 12 year old kid in a way that they suddenly have the urge to slit their wrists, then the 12 year old kid is clearly not ready to listen to them. PLUS, you completely disregarded the fact that MCR never marketed themselves to that age range. It's so convenient for people to say, hey, MCR is a BAD influence for kids - when most younger kids aren't even mature enough to understand them. Suuure, you can say that no one can stop those "12 year old" kids, but has MCR ever said, "Let's go Disney and aim to brainwash little boys and girls!". No. Because even fans know that their music is dark - people who cannot handle that shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. And obviously, those kids who only listen to them because they're the "In" thing, have got it all wrong. I still don't see how your point is valid.

2. Why do you keep bringing up 12 year olds? It's clearly the parents' job to make sure what their kids are listening to are appropriate. There is a reason for those stickers on their CDs.

3. No, you did not say ALL of us did, but you definitely IMPLIED that a lot of us wear clothes like that because we think it makes us look cool. So, you're saying that EVERYONE wears clothes to make themselves look cool? What about, geez, wearing clothes for modesty? Why can't people wear clothes because hm, they like it? Why does everyone have to wear clothes because it's a fad? That's silly. Lots of people wear crappy clothes because they want to - and they KNOW it's not a fad - so I don't see how your whole fashion thing works out. Unless, of course, you yourself wear stuff to fit in and look cool. Just sayin'.

4. People have problems. Not everyone's life is perfect. That doesn't give you a right to judge how their state of mind, or physical well-being is. Blaming a band for random people's depression, when that band is just trying to help, is completely and ridiculously ignorant. Music doesn't make people fall into depression. Depression does that. Just because they have problems, does not give you a right to stereotype them into a category of people who are unhappy, just because they listen to this band. Also, EVERYONE goes through problems - it isn't just limited to MCR fans, geez.

5. You clearly don't know a lot of what their songs are about then. And your second point is just unbelievable - so, what, kids are SO stupid that when they hear that someone has overcome drug abuse and depression, they immediately want to go through it just so he's their idol? Wow, try giving some people credit and intelligence. The point is he overcame it, and you seem to have missed it completely.

6. Your last line is about their music is your opinion - I don't care if you think if the music is good or bad. I'm just saying, and I'm sure a lot of other people would agree, that the messages you look out for, are the ones you find: so if you desperately look for negative messages in something random, you'll find it. You can find frickin' negative messages in Bananas In Pajamas' theme song if you look hard enough, for fuck's sake.

I don't really care if you're a fan. I'm just saying that your arguments seem biased and based on assumptions that the media makes a lot. And I'm not surprised. Everyone's finding a scapegoat to blame for every social problem there is nowadays.

But enough sort-of spam - and I'm not gonna be bothered to sit here and type out another long essay, because if you think that they're so horrible and such a suicidal, "emo" band, nothing I say will change your opinion. It's been done a lot, and this has been argued to death: it just depends on how open minded the person is. Half the time, not so open.

I'm done! (Sorry for the spam mods. xD)
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 14th, 2008 at 10:20am
pinkslip:
1. "singing songs that make you slit your wrists, it isn't that much fun staring down a loaded gun..." do you think that doesn't effect the mind of a twelve year old little kid!? If you don't call that suicidal I don't know what you would call it. First point- still correct.
No I do not think that that affects the mind of a 12 year old kid, nor do I deem a kid of that age "little" anymore. I have a 15 year old at home, so I can tell you from personal experience that a sizable portion of kids that age are already drinking, smoking weed and having in the very least oral sex - and only a very small chunk of that group listens to MCR. A larger portion listens to R&B, so should we go and blame those artists for the kids' actions next? First point, still only your opinion - in no way automatically correct.

pinkslip:
2. I've actually been a very big fan of MCR for a very long time. I know that they say "it's metaphoric." but, metaphorical lyrics can effect the mind just as much as realistic can. And do you really think a twelve year old, or up would know the difference if they got wrapped up in it?
If you were truly a long-term fan, you wouldn't be this concerned with 12 year olds (who you really should give a bit more credit to, by the way - they know more than you think,) and you would also know that the band's message has always been positive (did you forget all of the things that Gerard says onstage, in between songs?) and recognize the progression of their lyrics. If you truly believe that bands can exert some sort of mind control over their listeners, you might want to find something a bit safer to listen to.

pinkslip:
3. I never said ALL of you do actually. See how YOU jumped to conclusions saying that you cut yourselves in a corner, when I never even mentioned that. And obviously you have to think of it as a fad or something because you generally don't wear things you don't like...So if your wearing all black you must think your cool.
The fact that you said anything at all is the truest testament to your character, and your last sentence really doesn't make any sense at all.

pinkslip:
4. Have you checked the personal questions thread lately? That doesn't sound like happy kids to me. I'm sure they didn't cut themselves before MCR and even if they did, there might be a few who can truly say that they've helped them STOP.
That was the most blatant display of ignorance you have shown so far. The fact that you truly believe that MCR somehow made these kids cut themselves up shows that you have no comprehension of what depression really is. I return you also to my original point - who do we get to blame when a non-MCR fan gets depressed or suicidal? Should we prepare a list?

pinkslip:
5. You picked one of the easiest things to say was positive. Out of all their songs thats about the only one I can think of. And also, last time I checked Gerard Way was suicidal and doing drugs. Yes, he overcame that all...But even him TALKING about it could have an effect on little kids, because they look up to him.
More ignorance - what does Gerard's personal situation have to do with how you are slanting his lyrics, and he tells his story in order to reach out to kids who feel the same way as he did as a means of trying to STOP them from self-harm. If the kids look up to him in the way that you say that they do, they will mimic his CURRENT actions, not his past ones. However, kids tend to do what they want to do, not what some adult "influenced" them to do, unless we're talking about abuse here.

pinkslip:
6. Did you not read my last line. I put...'This isn't to say that their music isn't good, it's just that their messages aren't exactly positive.' I'm a fan, just not personally agreeing with all their messages sent out to kids.
They are positive - you are just too stubborn and set in your ways to see this from any other perspective but the one that you want to have. There are thousands of artists out there with even crazier things to say than MCR has - are they responsible for the actions of their 12 year old fans as well? Most of MCR's fanbase is older than 12, by the way - I'm not sure if you were aware of that. At the end of the day, My Chemical Romance is a rock band, not a band of preachers. Why has the mental state of every kid who chooses to spin one of their tunes suddenly become their responsibility? Whatever happened to the right to artistic expression? This never was a Disney band, you know, and at the end of the day, the responsibility for what a child is exposed to lands upon their parents, not the medium. For someone who claims to be anti-media, you sure are furthering their platform.
kid from yesterday.
Bleeding on the Floor
kid from yesterday.
July 14th, 2008 at 10:59am
Agreed. But we needn't bother with her anymore - judging from the thread made recently, clearly she's not here to be taken seriously.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
July 14th, 2008 at 11:13am
Actually, I check the Personal Questions board quite frequently because I know that a lot of the kids that post here like having an older, non-parental view on their problems. And for the most part, the questions that they post are normal, teen problems that are a part of growing up, and have nothing to do with MCR. They feel comfortable posting here because we all have that common bond, but very, very few of their problems can be caused by or solved by MCR. Maybe they can gain encouragement from one of Gerard's many on-stage speeches where he addresses some of their concerns, but really they just need to know that there are others who are going through what they are and that it's normal and okay to feel the way that they do.

They post them here to post amongst friends and get encouragement and ideas from people who think like them. Personally I think it's great that there is such a forum because it helps them realize that they're not in it alone and that there are several people who care about them.

But as Ted Mosby points out, that poster is a troll. Good call.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 14th, 2008 at 11:39am
Yeah I called her a troll before, but since she felt a need to try and spread her "intellectual" prowess, I felt an equal need to match her.
Jenny.
Jenny.
July 14th, 2008 at 11:58am
pinkslip:

1. "singing songs that make you slit your wrists, it isn't that much fun staring down a loaded gun..." do you think that doesn't effect the mind of a twelve year old little kid!? If you don't call that suicidal I don't know what you would call it. First point- still correct.

2. I've actually been a very big fan of MCR for a very long time. I know that they say "it's metaphoric." but, metaphorical lyrics can effect the mind just as much as realistic can. And do you really think a twelve year old, or up would know the difference if they got wrapped up in it?

3. I never said ALL of you do actually. See how YOU jumped to conclusions saying that you cut yourselves in a corner, when I never even mentioned that. And obviously you have to think of it as a fad or something because you generally don't wear things you don't like...So if your wearing all black you must think your cool.

4. Have you checked the personal questions thread lately? That doesn't sound like happy kids to me. I'm sure they didn't cut themselves before MCR and even if they did, there might be a few who can truly say that they've helped them STOP.

5. You picked one of the easiest things to say was positive. Out of all their songs thats about the only one I can think of. And also, last time I checked Gerard Way was suicidal and doing drugs. Yes, he overcame that all...But even him TALKING about it could have an effect on little kids, because they look up to him.

6. Did you not read my last line. I put...
'This isn't to say that their music isn't good, it's just that their messages aren't exactly positive.'

I'm a fan, just not personally agreeing with all their messages sent out to kids.

1) Listen to it with headphones in. 'Don't do it'. I think you should listen to the 'Barbie Girl' song. The lyrics in that are so amazingly slutty...Shouldn't you worry about '12 year olds' being influenced by THAT?

2) Yes. Please don't insult me. Just because the majority of fans are teens and some even younger, doesn't mean we're stupid.

3) You talk as if you're not a fan. I'm actually currently wearing all black, and to be quite honest I really don't think I'm cool.

4) I have, but if you're going to LOOK for the 'problem' kids, I think you'll find them everyfuckingwhere. And 99% of the fans DID cut before they found out about MCR. Imo, a lot of the fans are people who self harm not because MCR made them that way, but because MCR are really the only band around who are willing to accept that it does happen, and are willing to talk about it, and try to help. That's what draws people who self harm to this band.

5) You picked the easiest thing to say that was negative.
He did do drugs, he was suicidal. He has his flaws. He overcame it. What else do you expect the man to do? Grovel and kiss your feet and beg for your forgiveness? And, last time I checked, he only talks about it when he's asked about it.

6) Their message is anti - suicide and self harm...
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
July 14th, 2008 at 12:40pm
I too would like to add that 12-year-olds can think for themselves if given the chance. While they are impressionable, yes, they are also quite aware of who they are and have a grasp on who they want to be. The kids that I work with are ages 5 - 13 and the older kids amaze me on a daily basis with the things that they do. They need guidance, definitely, but I think the majority of them also understand the difference between a song and real life, and know better than to think that MCR or any other band is encouraging them to harm or commit suicide. The ones who can't differentiate are the ones who need help for many other reasons, not just that.

Deb -- I loved what you posted. While everyone has the right to think what they want, even if that includes not liking MCR, nobody has the right to attack people and make rash generalizations. Thank you for, as always, being the voice of reason. *kisses*
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 14th, 2008 at 02:03pm
psychochip:
Deb -- I loved what you posted. While everyone has the right to think what they want, even if that includes not liking MCR, nobody has the right to attack people and make rash generalizations. Thank you for, as always, being the voice of reason. *kisses*
ILY Tabs - sometimes I think I have become too predictable in my defense of this band, but honestly, until they do something that in my opinion deserves harsh judgment (which I don't see ever happening) I am going to continue to be so.
kid from yesterday.
Bleeding on the Floor
kid from yesterday.
July 14th, 2008 at 09:41pm
They post them here to post amongst friends and get encouragement and ideas from people who think like them. Personally I think it's great that there is such a forum because it helps them realize that they're not in it alone and that there are several people who care about them.

Exactly. And without a platform to talk about their problems, they end up turning to negative solutions instead - so I don't see how any of pinkslip's "points" are valid. Then again, I never expected much from people who joined just to stir shit.

Funny. If I hated a band's message so much, I wouldn't bother posting in their forum trying to get their - you know - fans hate the message too. Obviously there's a reason why we're fans - because we see things that the generally ignorant public happily overlook.
Jillianly
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Jillianly
July 15th, 2008 at 02:01pm
This just makes me that much prouder to say that My Chemical Romance is my favorite band. I can't think of another band that cares as much as MCR does about everything they do. XD