Don't have an account? Create one!

Daily Mail respond to My Chemical Romance emo marchers

AuthorMessage
sparklinggrey
Jazz Hands
sparklinggrey
May 31st, 2008 at 02:56pm
The Daily Mail have issued a statement this afternoon (May 31) responding to a planned protest by My Chemical Romance fans against the paper's coverage of emo.

Following the suicide of Hannah Bond, a fan of the band and comments from the coroner at her inquest about the genre's influence in her death, the British newspaper have published several articles about emo including one which claimed that "no child is safe from the sinister cult of emo".

However the paper has insisted that their coverage has been restrained, balanced and is in the public interest.

"The Daily Mail’s coverage of the 'Emo' movement has been balanced, restrained and above all, in the public interest. Genuine concerns were raised at the inquest earlier this month on 13 year old emo follower Hannah Bond who had been self-harming and then tragically killed herself," they explained in the statement.

"In common with other newspapers we ran an accurate news story recording the Coroner's remarks and the parents' comments. We also published two other articles, one of which explained the background to the Hannah tragedy in calm and un-sensational language.

"The other was a first person opinion piece by a well-known writer, written from the perspective of a mother concerned for her children. We have also run two prominent page lead letters from an emo music fan and from a fan of My Chemical Romance defending their point of view.

"Our music critic admires the music of the band and publicised the band’s UK tour last year. Since this protest was announced a great deal of misinformation has appeared on the internet, much of which confuses what the Daily Mail has actually published with the comments of website readers and 'blogs' over which we have no control and which have stirred up emotions."

They added: "We note it has been pointed out by others that all this provides wonderful publicity for Warners and their impending release of My Chemical Romance's latest album.

"The Daily Mail is a broad church and is always ready to listen to the views of readers. We do, however, suggest those who want to protest or comment read everything we have published and act on fact not rumour."

NME.COM promised to have some coverage of today's protest - but nothing yet. Does anyone here have any pics or vids?
Sonny Moore.
Fabulous Killjoy
Sonny Moore.
May 31st, 2008 at 03:29pm
I have a few pics and some videos, they're all kinda sucky quality, but I'll edit them into this post as soon as I'm done with uploading

Edit:

Most of these are from quite early on so that's why there's so few people

Okay, so these last two aren't actually of the protest, but I took them on the way there and I thought they were awesome

There was also a poster for a play called Jersey Boys and a 'Way out' sign with the word 'out' flickering on and off which I thought were pretty funny, but I didn't manage to get pics 'cause I was kinda rushing at the time

And I'll edit in some videos later
Firegarder
Joining The Black Parade
Firegarder
May 31st, 2008 at 03:39pm
There is an article on the Guardian website already... Clicky!

I don't know if that one has been posted anywhere here yet, sorry if it has!
Sweet Iced Tea
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sweet Iced Tea
May 31st, 2008 at 05:29pm
Nice pics Smile
bobkat
Fabulous Killjoy
bobkat
May 31st, 2008 at 06:41pm
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mQjEd0xYD3A

And the NME piece.

http://www.nme.com/news/my-chemical-romance/37009
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 31st, 2008 at 06:45pm
What a load of bullcrap that Daily Mail article is! Where was it published, please? I want to lay waste to it.
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 31st, 2008 at 07:07pm
I had so much fun - the singalong at the beginning and dance-off + conga with Anon were the best bits for me, had to leave at 2.30 though to do revision so I don't know what happened for the rest of the time
To an outsider watching the protest, it definitely proved that we weren't a "death cult" because the atmosphere was really light and friendly, some people were even hugging the Anon guys!

Cool youtube vid showing conga + dance-off -
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mQjEd0xYD3A

BBC Switch (this is really good) -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/switch/revealed/shorts/emomarch.shtml

Audiojunkies -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0KyyAIxZo8

Anon pics -
http://flickr.com/photos/27225933@N07/sets/72157605360905377/

Thrash Hits -
http://www.thrashhits.com/2008/05/why-my-chemical-romance-fans-really-dont-like-the-daily-mail/
jay!
Bleeding on the Floor
jay!
May 31st, 2008 at 07:42pm
It stinks Anon showed up =/
It sounds like they were a bunch of arses
Harleen Quinzel.
Bleeding on the Floor
Harleen Quinzel.
May 31st, 2008 at 07:58pm
reading all of the articles and watching the video has really touched my heart.
The boys would be so so proud of all of you for standing up for them in a peaceful and harmonious way. I just want to say well done to everybody involved and everybody that has supported the protest/campaigned against the lies.
You all really do make me so proud to be a fellow MCR fan In Love

Even if the positive exposure affects just a handful of people in seeing the true message of the band then consider it a job well done! Clap
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 31st, 2008 at 08:24pm
^ Ditto
AAAU
Joining The Black Parade
AAAU
May 31st, 2008 at 08:26pm
^^ I couldn't agree more with that.

I'm beyond proud of all the fans that showed up, and I'm sure the guys are too.

oh, just wondering, who exactly are the anon guys, and what do they do?
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
May 31st, 2008 at 08:31pm
^^ I think I'll third that. Just watching the video made me burst into smiles. I REALLY wish I could of been there, but I guess supporting it and cheering it on in the states will have to do....
Sweet Iced Tea
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sweet Iced Tea
May 31st, 2008 at 08:37pm
AAAU:
^^ I couldn't agree more with that.

I'm beyond proud of all the fans that showed up, and I'm sure the guys are too.

oh, just wondering, who exactly are the anon guys, and what do they do?

Are the anon guys,the ones in the masks?
I thought they looked pretty cool,lol.
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
May 31st, 2008 at 08:53pm
thats hilarious that the anon guys decided to join in. from watching the videos it kind of looked like they were confused and werent sure what to do so its nice that they joined in lol.
the whole thing looked like so much fun. its great that it was such a happy, upbeat atmostphere and everyone who was interviewed in the videos spoke really well.
jay!
Bleeding on the Floor
jay!
May 31st, 2008 at 10:09pm
earth2themorgue:
thats hilarious that the anon guys decided to join in. from watching the videos it kind of looked like they were confused and werent sure what to do so its nice that they joined in lol.
the whole thing looked like so much fun. its great that it was such a happy, upbeat atmostphere and everyone who was interviewed in the videos spoke really well.

Although Anon did intentionally come to crash the protest, it was funny when that one guy started competing in the dance off (:
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
May 31st, 2008 at 10:54pm

I wonder if My Chem will say anything about the protest :]
Cherokee
Banned
Cherokee
May 31st, 2008 at 10:56pm
I got some pictures too.
I wasn't there of course.

Ohh, what the hell! Click HERE.
jay!
Bleeding on the Floor
jay!
May 31st, 2008 at 10:57pm
I wonder if My Chem will say anything about the protest :]

It'd be really awesome if they did.
I've been waiting for a statement from the band ever since the news came out that there was going to be a protest. I hope they're proud of everyone <3
Pixie-Gates
Awake and Unafraid
Pixie-Gates
May 31st, 2008 at 11:26pm
sparklinggrey:
They added: "We note it has been pointed out by others that all this provides wonderful publicity for Warners and their impending release of My Chemical Romance's latest album.

-Boys not writing yet
-No confirmed release date for new album
-Clearly failed to notice TBPID! is a DVD

They fail at everything so badly without even trying. rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor

Gosh gosh, those videos almost made me teary. I'm so f**king proud of all of you who went out and represented us against that rag of a newspaper. You did so well and I'm really beyond elated to be part of this fanbase right now. It's thrilling that the protest was successful and I love you all.

I'm incoherent from happiness... Tehe

xxx
AAAU
Joining The Black Parade
AAAU
May 31st, 2008 at 11:44pm
Yeah, i figured the anon guys were the ones in the masks, but does anyone know what they do exactly? Are they some legit organization or something?