Don't have an account? Create one!

Daily Mail respond to My Chemical Romance emo marchers

AuthorMessage
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
June 8th, 2008 at 12:02pm
^ Yeah, some of the stuff in the "What to Do" section was decent advice... which could have equally been figured out by using common sense. >_> At any rate, the fact that they told parents to try to make a dress code specifically against "emo" fashion is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, let's ban the kids who wear black and have bangs, yet not do anything about the girls who have next to no clothes on. Rolling Eyes

That was not meant to sound really bitchy, by the way. I wasn't targeting anybody other than the website, lmao. xD
xxhangxemxhigh
Killjoy
xxhangxemxhigh
June 8th, 2008 at 01:54pm
I can't believe that this person would suggest to change dress codes so that it will say "banning piercings, all black clothing, emo hairstyles, and so forth;" That's pathetic.
Glitterlust
Salute You in Your Grave
Glitterlust
June 8th, 2008 at 04:07pm
Scartist:

it really annoys me that they say MCR is emo and blame self-injury on emo lifestyle, and that they tell parents to speak up againt a certain clothing style...
BUT actually it's not that bad. if you click on the "what can we do" section, the first few points tell the parents to spend time with their kids, talk to them, try to understand them, if they self-harm, seek medical help, watch out for signs of teenage depression... that is definitely not a bad thing.
Yeah, sure, My Chem should have been left out. But if parents follow those advice, I think it will actually help teens, and maybe if parents get closer to their kids, they will understand that emo lifestyle does not cause self-harm and depression, maybe people are drawn to it because they are depressed in the first place, and that bands like MCR help them.
Maybe.

i agree with you, some of those points actually weren't bad advice. I was mainly referring to the lyrics pages and the fact that they've included youtube videos of fox news reports talking all about the fashion and music rather than the actual problem of depression amongst teens.

edit: i found it amusing that they regard head banging, tattooing and excessive body piercing as self injury :/
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
June 8th, 2008 at 09:23pm
^ Headbanging?
xD
If you do that to the point where it hurts enough to be a form of self-harm, you need to head-bang less hard.
Sweet Iced Tea
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sweet Iced Tea
June 9th, 2008 at 10:08am
"Screams" My dad headbangs and has tattoos. OMFG!, HE'S AN EMOTIONAL HARDCORE!!!!!!!
Jenny.
Jenny.
June 9th, 2008 at 03:21pm
They're doing an online protest.

I just hope it won't go OTT...
I can't say much though, otherwise I'm being protective over the idea because I helped to organise the original...
But how would you do that over msn?
Glitterlust
Salute You in Your Grave
Glitterlust
June 9th, 2008 at 06:04pm
The Rumor:
^ Headbanging?
xD
If you do that to the point where it hurts enough to be a form of self-harm, you need to head-bang less hard.

ahaha precisely XD
Mitch
Salute You in Your Grave
Mitch
June 9th, 2008 at 10:29pm
Wow. That's awesome you guys did that!

I did a project on teen suicide for a college psychology class and decided to write a comment to the DM's article: (I don't know if they'll post it though. haha.)
I'm too lazy to put it the original post about the article so its going here.

Any parent that ignores their child's blatant plea for help is to blame. Besides, statistics show the highest suicide rate is in middle aged people.

"Among women, the highest suicide rate in 2005 was for those aged 45–74 years."

"In the past decade, the group at highest risk has been men aged 25–34 years. However, in 2002, the risk of suicide in this age group was the same as in men aged 35–44 years: 22 per 100,000 population....The suicide rate has gone down since then,"

-courtesy http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Factsheets/Statistics/Statistics+2.htm
IeroNugget
Killjoy
IeroNugget
June 10th, 2008 at 11:38am
I dont know who posted it, but there was a link to a photography site on MySpace with pictures of the protest. I saw them, and I want to show my friend, but I cant find the link again.

Can someone help me??
The Kooks.
Really Not Okay
The Kooks.
June 10th, 2008 at 11:42am
^

Here is one MySpace with professional pictures on it. I don't know if it's the one you wanted though.
IeroNugget
Killjoy
IeroNugget
June 10th, 2008 at 11:46am
YES!
Thats it! Thank you so much!
<3
The Kooks.
Really Not Okay
The Kooks.
June 10th, 2008 at 11:47am
^ No problem (:

I was gonna look through them again anyways.
Craig Owens
Bleeding on the Floor
Craig Owens
June 10th, 2008 at 11:53am
Haha, they took the Helena lyric out of context. It's not self-harm, why no! It's even better! Murder!!! : D *being sarcastic shit*

That site oozes ignorance.
xxhangxemxhigh
Killjoy
xxhangxemxhigh
June 10th, 2008 at 02:41pm
I posted something in the forum and my IP address got banned :/
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
June 10th, 2008 at 04:00pm
xxhangxemxhigh:
I posted something in the forum and my IP address got banned :/
Yeah mine too, so I posted this rant in the comments section of the Kerrang! article about it instead - bottom of the page (I think I am in love with that magazine.) What a bunch of fucking cowards these anti-emo people turned out to be! At least stand your ground and defend your position! I think THEY are the emos "Waaaaaaaaaaaa I don't want to hear negative perspectives against my own, I only want to talk to people who pat me on the back waaaaaa...."
Jenny.
Jenny.
June 11th, 2008 at 10:06am
I find that site highly amusing, especially the fact that they consider exstensive piercings, tattoos and headbanging self-injury.

The most amusing part has to be the part about Myspace.
kill-appeal
Killjoy
kill-appeal
June 11th, 2008 at 12:35pm
Anyone else get Kerrang!?
The Kooks.
Really Not Okay
The Kooks.
June 11th, 2008 at 01:00pm
^ Jenny did! I saw it and was like 'Oooh my god!'

Big ass picture XD.
The Apocalypse.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Apocalypse.
June 11th, 2008 at 01:46pm
DecimatedDreams:

Big ass picture XD.

I know. however....i look like i'am eating a hotdog. it cracked me up.

xD im not by the way.

it was an awesome picture.
The Kooks.
Really Not Okay
The Kooks.
June 11th, 2008 at 01:47pm
^ I look terrible in it Tehe
And it doesn't help that I'm right at the front ><