Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
Amy-Faye
Jazz Hands
Amy-Faye
September 21st, 2008 at 02:40pm
I'm just gonna push my way in here and share my opinion on this.

And I'm gonna start by saying 'MCR saved my life' Now i know at the start and most probably all the way through the thread. You guys have been discussing that phrase. And to be honest, they did save my life, but i think it was in a slightly different way. And the first time it was a coincidence. I was pathetically going to jump out of my bedroom window. 2 floors up, don't think it really would have killed me, but i just felt like i couldn't live anymore you know? Anyway, the TV was on, and WTTBP started, i thought it a weird coincidence, I'd heard people say 'MCR saved my life' but i didn't think it would apply to me. but when i heard it, i kind of understood it in a different way. It made me feel like i didn't want to try and kill myself.

So i suppose you guys were right when you said they make you see that your no alone and all that. But that was fairly obvious since they can't literally come and save your life.

I think people do lie about it sometimes though. Because its gotten so big, people are starting to believe that you have to say that to be accepted. They've lost really what MCR is all about. And, even though you're supposed to fit in at their shows and stuff like that, its almost like these people are doing things to be accepted. Ans its not right really.
Jeanne Paulin.
Shotgun Sinner
Jeanne Paulin.
September 23rd, 2008 at 07:30am

i love music. ever since i was young up until recently.
music helps me alot, music is my best friend. but that's it. i listen to it whenever i'm down, i even wear ear phones when i sleep and its volume on max.
and the whole MCR saved my life thing, it just got real exaggerated. it's so annoying hearing that from people these days. i mean, i'm not being rude or anything, some fans say that but without any feelings from the heart. they're saying it because it's such an MCR trend.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
September 23rd, 2008 at 09:12am
jeanne paulin.:
i even wear ear phones when i sleep and its volume on max.

Shocked That's really not good for your ears.
Crampy-is-cool
Killjoy
Crampy-is-cool
September 25th, 2008 at 06:57am
i like that 'jeanne paulin' i think thats true. There are so many people that say MCR saved my life and i say oh yeah thats cool, but at the same time i do think it is quite exaggerated. Music can giive you inspiration and hope but its not the whole reason that people (that do want to end their life) dont.

Im not sure im right, for those people that think MCR saved your life, thats an excellent thing to look back on, a real inspiration. But at the same time, just because you love the band, doesnt mean you have to prove it by saying they saved your life?

Also with the earphone thing, stuff it being ad for your ears.
but i personally cant sleep with music. I can listen to it before bed, but i have to turn it off before i know for sure that im going to sleep. I dunno. Im retarted. Smile
sciencefreak897
Banned
sciencefreak897
September 26th, 2008 at 10:59am
[quote="Eponine"]
demolitionloversmway:

Really? Did Gerard jump out of the speakers and take a bullet for you?

It really makes me mad when people say that kind of stuff to people when someone says that music saved their life. Music really DID save my life. MCR does save lives. Not by taking a bullet for you, but giving you a reason to live. When I was younger, I almost jumped off a bridge in the middle winter, meaning I would freeze to death in the water, but then, for the first time I heard a few MCR songs, and they inspired me to live.

Also, last night, I almost took 30 pain killers ( http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AgKhsTr.oUH5bzO0Rn4S8NHsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080925121432AAEyAZF http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ApaCKmnOfomd0UXfomfeQJfsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080925132620AA35yP5 if you don't believe me)

and then someone e-mailed me, and sent me a bunch of stuff Gerard has said, and that, again, helped me to stay alive. Though I've been e-mailing the Samartians to help me cope witht he lose of my friend, I'm better off now
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
September 26th, 2008 at 03:46pm
sciencefreak897:
It really makes me mad when people say that kind of stuff to people when someone says that music saved their life. Music really DID save my life. MCR does save lives. Not by taking a bullet for you, but giving you a reason to live. When I was younger, I almost jumped off a bridge in the middle winter, meaning I would freeze to death in the water, but then, for the first time I heard a few MCR songs, and they inspired me to live.

Also, last night, I almost took 30 pain killers ( http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AgKhsTr.oUH5bzO0Rn4S8NHsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080925121432AAEyAZF http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ApaCKmnOfomd0UXfomfeQJfsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080925132620AA35yP5 if you don't believe me)

and then someone e-mailed me, and sent me a bunch of stuff Gerard has said, and that, again, helped me to stay alive. Though I've been e-mailing the Samartians to help me cope witht he lose of my friend, I'm better off now

That was way long ago, I don't know why you brought it up again.
My argument is that they do not actively save your life. And I also don't believe that they give you a 'reason' to live. Back when I listened to MCR everyday it actually made me feel more depressed, not better.
Anyway my point is if hearing music changed your mind about jumping off a bridge then I don't think you would have ended up going through with it. Music doesn't save your life, you do. You made the choice to not jump, no one else.
It's weird how even when people make a good choice like that they shove the responsibility of it onto someone else. I went through a tough period of time where I was very low, I might have been depressed, I don't know. I listened to MCR during this time, and they did not save me one bit. I save me. I made the choice to move on with my life and be happy. They did not do it, I did.
Also if you're depressed because of a chemical imbalance in your brain music can't fix that. Drugs are needed to fix it.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
September 26th, 2008 at 09:40pm

Exactely.
Some people are like "MCR is my anti-depressent" and stuff, but if they are, then you aren't really depressed, are you?
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
September 26th, 2008 at 11:21pm
Lovesick Melody.:

Exactely.
Some people are like "MCR is my anti-depressent" and stuff, but if they are, then you aren't really depressed, are you?

But for some people thats true.
I know its true for me.

Before I was ACTUALLY put on medicine, I would listen to MCR and all my problems seemed to go away. But thats just one person. It's different for everyone, in my opinion

What annoys me is that teenies THINK they have to say "MCR Saved Me" to be a fan.

It can be true for some people, but most of it I think is a lie.

and this is from someone who truly means it.

Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
September 27th, 2008 at 07:18am

^^
But then, hypothetically, you don't need the medicine, do you? Because My Chem is your anti-depressent, right?

But I agree that some fans think they need to say "MCR saved me" to be a true fan.
I'm a big fan, but they have not saved me.
They have HELPED me through a hell of a lot, but they have never personally saved me.
Crampy-is-cool
Killjoy
Crampy-is-cool
September 27th, 2008 at 08:49am
Lovesick Melody.:

^^
But then, hypothetically, you don't need the medicine, do you? Because My Chem is your anti-depressent, right?

But I agree that some fans think they need to say "MCR saved me" to be a true fan.
I'm a big fan, but they have not saved me.
They have HELPED me through a hell of a lot, but they have never personally saved me.
i defidently agree with that.
i hate everyone who thinks they have to save your life to be a true fan.
just because they havent doesnt mean your a bad fan!

Its good that they have saved your lives, thats something you can look back on.
but im sick of the people boasting about it.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
September 27th, 2008 at 12:06pm
Lovesick Melody.:

^^

I see where you are coming from.
But sometimes I can say music/My Chem saved my life, and there is a reason other than "oh. I was depressed and they were my anti depressant". Its a reason only ONE person knows and I am not comfortable sharing. But anyway.

Okay: A little story to explain what I mean.
Before MCR, I was seriously sick. All I thought of was suicide. I have never selff harmed but I thought about it. I would sit in the corner in my room and wouldnt even go downstairs to eat.

When MCR came along, they gave me hope and they MADE ME want to keep living. When MCR couldnt help me, it was Tokio Hotel. I understand that "Gerard didnt come out of the speakers and stopped me", But like many others have said in the past, its indirectly.

It all depends on the person. Some people dont mean it and want to fit in [trust me, i met plenty of those] but what I dont like is that I discovered them last year, and when I TRULY meant it people thought I was one of the people that say it to fit in. What do you think of this?

//rant
jfc113
Salute You in Your Grave
jfc113
September 27th, 2008 at 12:57pm
I kind of understand what all of you are saying. Music is everything to me. It's all I've ever wanted to do since I was little. Music can have a huge influence on you, I understand that, but in my opinion I don't think it could go as far as saving your life or making you commit suicide. In the end, music can influence your thoughts on that, but they didn't make you do whatever. You did that.

For all of you saying "Gerard didn't take the gun from my head, but My Chem's music made me not pull the trigger." etc. that was still you who didn't do it. The music didn't make you. You stopped yourself, maybe 'cause the music made you realize something, but it was still you...

That sounds sorta nasty, I didn't mean it to be. Sorry. >.<
Crampy-is-cool
Killjoy
Crampy-is-cool
September 27th, 2008 at 11:26pm
^ ^

ahhhh thats so truueeeee!

i like you!
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
September 28th, 2008 at 12:14am
gustav schafer.:
Before I was ACTUALLY put on medicine, I would listen to MCR and all my problems seemed to go away.
Exactly, they seemed to go away. But it doesn't mean they did. I agree that music can help people and help them to think differently about themselves and their situation(s), but in my opinion music is only a short term fix.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
September 28th, 2008 at 12:16am
I see exactly what you mean.
For me, music took me out of the depression for the time being.
At some points, MCR couldnt help me. Thats when Tokio Hotel did.

After a while of some thought, my eyes have opened. Music can be medicine for a while and can be therapy, but it wont always help.
daremr_MCRmy
Killjoy
daremr_MCRmy
September 28th, 2008 at 01:40pm
It has a huge impact on a lot of people. It depends on the type for music you're into and understand. For example, My Chemical Romance.... And Helena. Some people have felt the pain that they have, so they know, I know, That I'm not the only one that's been through that sort of thing. It all depends on your person, and the music you're comfortable with.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
September 28th, 2008 at 02:00pm
Crampy-is-cool:
^ ^

ahhhh thats so truueeeee!

i like you!
Please don't spam the boards, check over the rules for this forum before posting any more. thanks.
Ahead of the Curve
Always Born a Crime
Ahead of the Curve
September 28th, 2008 at 02:37pm
jeanne paulin.:

and the whole MCR saved my life thing, it just got real exaggerated. . [/i].

music has definatly changed my life though, and for the better
I have no idea where I would be without it
where would anyone be without music?
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
September 29th, 2008 at 04:39am

^^
Saved and changed is 2 different things.
Music has without a doubt changed my life, but it has not saved my life.
Xxemogal123xX
Killjoy
Xxemogal123xX
October 2nd, 2008 at 02:48pm
I think that music has a big impact on who you are and the way you act.