Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
October 3rd, 2008 at 09:28am
I don't see what's wrong with a person drawing strength and inspiration from the band, and saying so. Why do we need to judge what a person deems their lifeline? Can't we just be happy for them that they found one?
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
October 3rd, 2008 at 04:08pm

^^
Yes, I know what you mean.
I don't mean to come out here, thinking that I know everybodies life and stating that their salvation is wrong.
I just don't think it can happen, but if somebody has been postively impacted by the band, who are we to say what is right or wrong?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 3rd, 2008 at 07:34pm
Deb:
I don't see what's wrong with a person drawing strength and inspiration from the band, and saying so. Why do we need to judge what a person deems their lifeline? Can't we just be happy for them that they found one?
But we're not really judging them as such; it's merely a discussion on whether a band has the potential to save your life. Some people believe it does, others don't. I don't think anyone's wanting to judge individuals unfairly.
barcoded.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
barcoded.
October 4th, 2008 at 04:04am
one thiong about music i need to say

when im going crazy in my head and i cant stop thinking about things and i need to calm down one of the only ways,( the best way for me) is to listen to music and focus on the words and concentrate and it takes me away from the shit in my head and calms me down

so yes, music is influential and it can help.
Crampy-is-cool
Killjoy
Crampy-is-cool
October 4th, 2008 at 06:15am
yeah music can have a big influence i defidently agree with that, but i spose that it may work for different people in differernt ways.
I havent been in a situation where music has saved my life, but i have heard many people that have been and it can defidently influence them to continue on even if they dont think its worth it, in the end its also you who does it.

But i do believe that music in a time of being upset, or beiing angry can help us change our emotions from bad to good and make us happier.
Thats what i like about music all we have to do is listen to it and it does so much.
BlueJay
Killjoy
BlueJay
October 5th, 2008 at 05:15pm
For me the best thing about music is that it can help me with anything. Sometimes I'm so emotional that I don't feel like calling a friend and talking about it. I just go online and search up a song. I don't even need my mp3, for me, music is everywhere. I can find it or make it. Music just inspires me. My life doesn't revolve around music, but I definitely love the fact that music, any kind, has been a constant in my life. Very Happy
MilitaryFairy
Killjoy
MilitaryFairy
October 7th, 2008 at 12:40am
I think music impacts different people in different ways. For me, the influence is huge. That's why I'm really careful not to listen to depressing songs when I am depressed, because instead of making me feel better, I just feel worse.

But it also helps me a whole lot by listening to positive music when I am down, because it does lift my spirits.

So should everyone only listen to positive music? No...it depends on how the music makes you feel. I choose the guard my mind against things that could hinder me but what hinders me could build up someone else.
DemolitionLover1
Killjoy
DemolitionLover1
October 30th, 2008 at 11:39am
i think music has a huge impact on people. music expresses your feelings and emotions. and you can sing it in any way
different genres appeal to different people
i like rock/metal/emo/indie.....everyone like different kinds of music and it helps people in different way
for some music can just be something they like.

for me music is like my life..i cannot live without it. and it helps me in so many ways.
when im angry it helps me. when im bored. when im working and stuff

so i love music!! and it has an impact on me
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
October 30th, 2008 at 12:05pm
MilitaryFairy:
I'm really careful not to listen to depressing songs when I am depressed, because instead of making me feel better, I just feel worse.
That's so weird because I always match the type of song to my emotional state - that IS what makes me feel better.
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
October 31st, 2008 at 08:27pm
Deb:
That's so weird because I always match the type of song to my emotional state - that IS what makes me feel better.

I agree with this.
When I'm feeling upset or depressed and am listening to "depressing" music it's reassuring to know that other people (ie the musicians) have experienced similar things and have made it through.
MCRAreSuperHeroes
Killjoy
MCRAreSuperHeroes
November 3rd, 2008 at 03:16pm
Music can change lives. And save them too I guess.
MCR changed my life, I am using them as an example because then i at least know what i am talking about!
I don't know if anyone gets the same but i sometimes have a theme tune each day in my head subconsciously that matches the day.
Weird but it kind of shows that music affects life.
It's sure is a really powerful thing no use denying it!
XHellsBellX
Killjoy
XHellsBellX
November 14th, 2008 at 08:58am
music is a life saver. when i'm in my room grounded, or depressed, or just in a bad mood the first thing i reach for is my ipod.
thats mine and a lot of ppl's escape route from reality. i'll usually try to find a song that matches the mood im in. like if i get grounded i listen to "Teenagers", or if i'm heartbroken i'll listen to "Hells Over Head" or when i feel like im not good enough i'll listen to "Perfect." (these r just examples from MCR and 2 other bands)
but the point is that i feel like the music is speaking to me and is helping me understand the situation better. music does save lives and its a part of everyone. no matter what type of music u listen to its music and it helps.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
November 15th, 2008 at 09:25am
It can greatly inspire you just like many other forms of art. Yes, I believe that someone can devote their life to it. I mean for me, if art didn't exist, I wouldn't enjoy life as much.
Katem
Fabulous Killjoy
Katem
November 15th, 2008 at 08:39pm
MCRAreSuperHeroes:
Music can change lives. And save them too I guess.

I agree. Saving lives doesn't have to be taken literally either. You could interpret it as music having the potential save people from wasting their lives being unhappy or uninspired. In that sense, the fact that music changes peoples lives is synonymous with the fact that music saves lives.
rhiannon.
Motor Baby
rhiannon.
November 16th, 2008 at 09:35am
Music seems to help me a lot. I get regular panic attacks and sometimes listening to music can calm me down, so I see where people are coming from Very Happy
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
November 16th, 2008 at 01:12pm
Ah. Another place I can randomly jump into a disscussion. Goody. x]

First off, I was saying that music had helped/saved me before LOTMS came out, so I didn't take it from there. The statement that if you don't say that My Chemical Romance saved your life, you arn't a a true fan, is just stupid. When they said it in the interview, they weren't saying it in the literal sense that, "TWe formed this band to go to all the bridges in the world and make sure kids don't jump off of them" they meant it in a different way. They give you someone to relate to, and sometimes that can make the difference.
[In Gerard's words... "...It's okay because you know there are 5 guys just as fucked up as you"]
I don't think that music can make people want to live or die, there's no way music alone could make someone suicidical, or make someone stop. But music can TRIGGER all different types of emotions. I suppose if you want you could say some music might trigger someone with severe physcological problems to kill themeselves, but that's not the music's fault, or the band's.It was a choice of the person, and if they hadn't gotten the trigger from that song, they would've gotten it from another. This relates to the Hannah Bond issue; [I mean no offence by any of this, I've suffered from depression and know how hard it is, and I'm NOT making fun of the situation at all.] My Chemical Romance creates music from their hearts. It's not like Hannah Bond was a happy-go-lucky little girl who heard a MCR song and offed herself. The poor child had mental problems, she had been cutting herself and apparently the parents knew she was cutting before she killed herself. My Chemical Romance didn't take this girl and say "go kill yourself."
So. [I am so sorry that was all so scattered...]
I don't think music can literally save lives, but it CAN influence you to change your life and become a genuinly happy person.
Dir-en-grey
Joining The Black Parade
Dir-en-grey
November 19th, 2008 at 12:51pm
Music speaks to all people differently. Depends what you like and who you are. Really I dont think music should go as far as drive people to death, but some lyrics are taken to heart and that should be considered.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
November 19th, 2008 at 01:28pm
In my signature are lyrics that I drew upon during a darker period this week for strength. They went quite far in offering me comfort where little else could. I don't think it needs to be analyzed to death; what is meant by the statement that MCR is a band who wants to save your life is simply that they want their songs to inspire you to do better for yourself.

That being said, I reiterate my prior comment - who is anyone to tell anyone else what they are allowed to find inspirational or life-altering?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
November 19th, 2008 at 02:10pm
I think my problem with the whole 'music saved my life' thing is when people try to argue that it cured their depression. I don't think that music can permenately cure depression. Sure music is inspiring and influential but I don't think it can cure a disease.
creameggsandcheese
Killjoy
creameggsandcheese
November 22nd, 2008 at 07:40pm
Eponine:
I think my problem with the whole 'music saved my life' thing is when people try to argue that it cured their depression. I don't think that music can permenately cure depression. Sure music is inspiring and influential but I don't think it can cure a disease.

Your right on about it curing your depression. If you have real depression, music can help, but it cannot cure. Though if your a teen who isn't REALLY depressed, but thinks that he/she is, music can cure that. For example, my friend, Alice, thought she was depressed for a about a month, but after listening to some music from serious bands, it helped her so much that without help from friends or family, or anything, she became happy again. She told me that she was never really "depressed" but only thought that she was. Me on the other hand, am totally emo and depressed, and music really has helped me, but even MCR and Tom Petty havn't "cured" my depression.