Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
creameggsandcheese
Killjoy
creameggsandcheese
November 22nd, 2008 at 07:40pm
Eponine:
I think my problem with the whole 'music saved my life' thing is when people try to argue that it cured their depression. I don't think that music can permenately cure depression. Sure music is inspiring and influential but I don't think it can cure a disease.

Your right on about it curing your depression. If you have real depression, music can help, but it cannot cure. Though if your a teen who isn't REALLY depressed, but thinks that he/she is, music can cure that. For example, my friend, Alice, thought she was depressed for a about a month, but after listening to some music from serious bands, it helped her so much that without help from friends or family, or anything, she became happy again. She told me that she was never really "depressed" but only thought that she was. Me on the other hand, am totally emo and depressed, and music really has helped me, but even MCR and Tom Petty havn't "cured" my depression.
youhaveissues!!
Killjoy
youhaveissues!!
November 24th, 2008 at 02:59pm
whos gettin the new mcr three cheers for sweet revenge vinyl addition??
Jenny.
Jenny.
November 24th, 2008 at 03:04pm
Please stop spamming - that has little to do with this topic.
robert plant.
Salute You in Your Grave
robert plant.
November 28th, 2008 at 03:28am
For people who are majorly into music and who love music as much as they love another human being, it can be amazingly effective at changing a person's mood. I've seen people go from happy to sad and vice versa so many times because of a certain song or a certain band. I've felt it. The effect some songs can have on me... I don't see how anyone could say music doesn't make an impact.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
December 2nd, 2008 at 07:38am
i don't know if music really has an impact on us or our behaiviour, but i do know that music can make you feel happy or sad, i mean when i'm listening to 'Blood' from MCR it makes me smile rather than cry , and when i'm listenig to 'This is How I Dissapear' i'm not loughing
My Immortal Romance
Killjoy
My Immortal Romance
December 2nd, 2008 at 01:37pm
music has a huge impact on my life. especially MCR. they wade me realize that it's okay to be different, to be who you are. and that you don't have to change yourself for others. it's okay to be messed up, as Gerard says. ^^
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 3rd, 2008 at 10:07am
Eponine:
I think my problem with the whole 'music saved my life' thing is when people try to argue that it cured their depression. I don't think that music can permenately cure depression. Sure music is inspiring and influential but I don't think it can cure a disease.
I understand what you are saying - although there have been cases where music has HELPED, it can't cure ALL by itself. I don't think you can "cure" depression anyway, just curb it, no?
x..touching_hands..x
Really Not Okay
x..touching_hands..x
December 4th, 2008 at 07:17pm
Right with Deb on this one; you can't cure depression. But there are things that can help you to deal with it, and I think for a lot of people, music can play a large part in that.

I'd also like to add, that for me, music has sometimes felt like the only thing I've had to hold on to. And to have something that works as your 'lifeline' or 'anchor' if you will, is really important.

So I suppose music has as much impact as you allow it to (or as your predisposition allows?). I live with a girl who hardly listens to music at all, but she gets on fine. I guess she has other 'lifelines'.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
December 5th, 2008 at 04:25am
I dont dissagree that music can help you feel better, I just dont agree with it to the extent were people say "Music saved my life!"

I just cant see how popping in a CD can help you 'see the light.'

Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
December 6th, 2008 at 12:09pm

Agreed ! y ou can enjoy a song immensley but i dont think you can actuallly say
it saved your life. The line is overused.

BlackRoseDying
Fabulous Killjoy
BlackRoseDying
December 9th, 2008 at 09:04am
i think music has a big impact on your life, but i dont believe that it can make you do horrible things...

and i also agree with the above posters that say music cant save your life.. only you can decide your fate, wether you believe it or not...
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 10th, 2008 at 05:21am
BlackRoseDying:
i think music has a big impact on your life, but i dont believe that it can make you do horrible things...
Why can't it make someone do horrible things? If it can make people feel good, it can make them feel bad. And if it can inspire someone, then surely it has the ability to bring out the bad in people as well.
I C G P
Really Not Okay
I C G P
December 10th, 2008 at 02:41pm
Mindfuck:
Why can't it make someone do horrible things? If it can make people feel good, it can make them feel bad. And if it can inspire someone, then surely it has the ability to bring out the bad in people as well.

I definitely agree with this. Listening to music and being inspired by it doesn't necessarily mean that it helps you in a good way. Think of the minority who have supposedly been influenced by music to do horrible things, for example Hannah Bond and My Chemical Romance 'pushing her' into suicide.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 10th, 2008 at 03:48pm
I don't think music can MAKE you do anything. I think it can bring comfort and I also think it can fire you up, but I don't consider IT in and of itself ultimately responsible for anyone's actions - that is still all them.
Your Ghost.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Your Ghost.
December 10th, 2008 at 06:40pm
Personally, I think music has a HUGE effect on people. It can give you the strength you need to continue on. Music in my case, is something that could save my life, for sure. I have attempted to do things but have stopped because of the things in life that music has shown me. But thats just me. It may be different for others, but im sure there are some people out there who think the same as i do on this topic.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
December 11th, 2008 at 12:12am
What about people like me who are clincally depressed and [i used to]
have suicidal thoughts all the time?
What if music is the thing that helped you overcome that?

I kind of take that as music saving your life, because without the music giving me hope, I would most likely be gone now. I know people who have dealt with worse than I ever have, and they turned to music to get them through the tough times.
I know people like me who were about to kill themselves and once again, turned to music for some hope.

It may only work for some, but that doesnt mean it can't save anyone's life at all.
my?mindless?romance?
Thinking Happy Thoughts
my?mindless?romance?
December 11th, 2008 at 08:02pm
^^ right on! I do think music CAN save peoples lives. Maybe not all of them, but some.
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
December 13th, 2008 at 03:44am
i understand why people love music so much.
it can be a great impact on people's lives.
but in my opinion, i think ~way too many people are saying "_______ saved my life."
especially with mcr. it seems a lot of their fans say it likes it's some sort of rule.
don't get me wrong, some of them have actually been saved by them.
but it annoys when every single fan seems to say it.
couldn't they just they their music has impacted their life?
was the person so greatly effected by sadness/derpression before?
idk about anyone else, but it just get's to me.
but i do believe music can really help a person feel better.
some seem to judge to easily when they haven't experienced that kind of love from a band, i guess.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
December 19th, 2008 at 04:18am
Mindfuck:

Exactly.

I've said the same thing on this thread before, everyone talks about how music saves there life, yet no one dares preach about the bad points of music. If it's as influencial as people say, it must go both ways.
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
December 20th, 2008 at 04:08am
^ agreed.
bands like cannibal corpse have some pretty horrible lyrics.
rape, murders, etc. there might be someone out there who is inspired by that.
people say that music saves their lives,
but i don't think they realise there is a darker side to it.