Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
Tikva
Fabulous Killjoy
Tikva
June 5th, 2008 at 07:11am
Well, regarding the MCR saved my life thing, I think that I can honestly say that they certainly may well have. A few months after a very serious suicide attempt, in which the fact that it would have been my children who found me dead that prompted me to ring for an ambulance, I can say that their music had a major impact on my ability to heal from all that I was going through. I didn't want to live anymore ~ to me, death was but a door, and all I had to do was open it and walk through it. I longed for it, I yearned for it. I was extremely depressed, spent most of my life in my bedroom, couldn't even take care of my kids (who were taken from my care). My now ex-husband had left me for a younger woman, but was still in a relationship with me, so in essence I was the 'other woman' to my own husband. I thought I couldn't get any lower, but I did, as I ended up turning to prostitution to bring an end to the continued cycle of being hurt by him. I could not see any hope. Everything in my life was dark. And I was plagued by thoughts and plans of suicide. It was during the darkest times that I would turn to music, and in this particular part of my life, it was My Chemical Romance. For so many years I have been unable to express my true feelings. I had become a master at burying them. But listening to MCR, helped me to connect with them, and to express them. That is why I am here at IMO - because these valiant young men and their music have truly had a very major impact on my life, and yes, probably did save it.

It was similar for me when my older brother was killed in a motocross accident in 2004, although during that time, it was Coldplay that helped me to get through it. Me and grief don't get along too well, as I tend to push it down, ignore it, anything just so that I don't feel it. But when I would put in certain Coldplay songs (basically forcing myself to at times), the grief would just come pouring out for me.

So, to me, Music is something that helps me to get in touch with my emotions. It can lift me up (Beautiful - Christina Aguilera), it helps me express emotions, it touches my heart, it can bring good memories, and of course bad, and oftentimes it can help me identify how I am feeling (Bleeding Me - Metallica). And so much more!

For me, music is the food for my soul, and has always played a very important part of my life. And whether or not anyone else accepts it or not, I have no doubt that in some way, My Chemical Romance DID in fact save my life.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 5th, 2008 at 11:08am
KingRex:

I agree they both have african american roots, and yes Elivis cannot be compared to people like Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry. But I've never considered jazz or blues to have influenced rap. Yes, its all about moving with the music while expressing yourself, but its not like rap artists listen to Muddy Waters and then go from there, it seams to be more of a general influence in the sense of progression, not a personal one.

Well I honestly gotta say I'm not a fan of rap cause it seams so increadibly one dementional to me. Its nice to go to dances and feel the music (and watch every girl in school turn into a turbo slut for a few hours Smile) But other then thouse few times I could really care less. I mean show me a rap song that; incluedes heavy illusions to poetry, literature or mythology. Crazy imaginative imagery, or an extensive naritive or mulit-song story, or protest of world affairs, or uplifting positive messages. If there are any, there sure are few, the list of rock songs is quite long ~ Rex

Now this is where you fall short, if you were a musician you'd understand that rap is heavily influenced by jazz and blues. its all there in the music, syncopation, call and response, polyphony vocal rhythm all these things are carried from jazz to blues and to Rap and hip hop.

there are a lot of rap songs that talk about politics and have positive messages, you just happen to purposly not tap into it cos your discouraged by the popular music been blasted out of mtv. i mean rock and roll was defiantly built on the idea of constant sex and drugs

Tupac Shakur or "Pac" is probably the finest example of rap music doing what you feel rap doesn't do
is first top ten single was in fact exploring the notion of teen pregnancy in the lower class African American neighborhoods or if you will the "ghetto".
that songs called Brenda's Got a Baby

then skip a little further to after pac died a song "changes" was released that went through the futility of living street life he addressed, gun violence , prejudice, police brutality and the cyclic nature of poverty.

so you see even though they're not talking ab out world politics and love and so on hes talking about problems closer to home at the time when he was living. he made people aware of the problems at the time, he forced them to look inside the country and realize that even though they live in a first world country they're living in third world conditions.

and to take it a bit further i think is probably a better vehicle to explain world issues than say hard rock, cos raps lacking solos and interludes and all that other extra stuff it leaves you with just beats and vocals. so the message is all thats being pumped out. the focus is the lyrical skill.

i urge you to listen to Tupac and expand your musical horizons Rex
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 5th, 2008 at 11:24am
Tivka, I don't personally doubt that MCR helped to save your life, and I admire you for sharing your (what appears to be) a very personal story.

But I think what a lot of people here are saying is that there are specific type of person that will just take something and run with it - and in the case of the "MCR saved my life" thing, some kids (because most of them are kids) see MCR saving lives as being somewhat of a fad. I don't doubt that MCR has helped save some people's lives, but I think that there are so many people proclaiming this statement, that it has just lost meaning. Which is kind of a backhander to those who MCR did help.

Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
June 5th, 2008 at 11:45am
mindfuck.:
Tivka, I don't personally doubt that MCR helped to save your life, and I admire you for sharing your (what appears to be) a very personal story.

But I think what a lot of people here are saying is that there are specific type of person that will just take something and run with it - and in the case of the "MCR saved my life" thing, some kids (because most of them are kids) see MCR saving lives as being somewhat of a fad. I don't doubt that MCR has helped save some people's lives, but I think that there are so many people proclaiming this statement, that it has just lost meaning. Which is kind of a backhander to those who MCR did help.

I agree. It's like the boy who cried wolf: it's been said so many times I'm not sure whether or not to believe it anymore =\
Lonerinlove
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Lonerinlove
June 5th, 2008 at 01:46pm
if you ever feel down listen to keep holding on by avril lagiviene (sp)

it really helps me
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 5th, 2008 at 01:53pm
*lavigne

I find Famous Last Words helps me more. the lines 'awake and unafraid' and 'where's your heart?' really
hunteri heroici.
Always Born a Crime
hunteri heroici.
June 5th, 2008 at 02:00pm
Okay, music can really help or destroy someone.
Music has a huge impact on most teenager's lives.
A song can fascinate you.
A song can make you understand that people go through what you go through too.
A song can make you get your anger out.
A song can help you express your feelings.
A song can make you happier.
A song can make you realize how great life is.
A song can lead you to suicide.
If you ask me what my opinion is on people who say that a certain band saved their life, I'd say those people are huge liars.
No guys, My Chemical Romance/Green Day/ Britney Spears did not save your life.
Did they get in front of a flying bullet to save you from death?
Did they save you from a speeding car?
The answer is no.
Their lyrics may have helped you to get out of a hard situation but still, you saved your life.
you.
you.
you.
Not any band.
Yeah, of course you have the right to call a certain band member your idol but no, definately not your saviour.
I refuse to listen to people who say that a certain band saved their life.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 5th, 2008 at 02:03pm
^but a song can affect the way you feel, and therefore prevent you from doing something. You have said that a song can lead you to suicide, so it can technically lead you away as well, therefore sort of saving your life. People are talking about music stopping them doing things to themselves, not saving them from bullets and cars. Music can save your life.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
June 5th, 2008 at 04:49pm
Sad As In Pathetic:
Did they get in front of a flying bullet to save you from death?
Did they save you from a speeding car?
The answer is no.

Woah woah woah, you are getting way to caught up in the literalness! Look MCR didnot "save" me, but its easy to say that music has. It makes total sense to me; it can help people realize themselves and become who they are. If you are only living out your existance half way and then a song or a band or a genre helps you awaken to a fuller life THERE you've been saved. I get what your saying about people taking the initiative, but sometimes that isn't possible untill you get a catalist that allows you to save yourself. Thats were music comes in for me. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean its not true.

MigRacer:
Now this is where you fall short, if you were a musician you'd understand that rap is heavily influenced by jazz and blues. its all there in the music, syncopation, call and response, polyphony vocal rhythm all these things are carried from jazz to blues and to Rap and hip hop.
Okay, but its not the same kinda influence as Hendirx or Cream covering a Howlin Wolf song. I'd be really interested to hear a Killin Floor Remix haha. Like I said before, I think its more of a general progression, where things are taken in and used in the sense of creating somthing new from the old, not because Snoop Dog can't get enough of Robert Johnson; that has yet to become clear to me, in any sense.

MigRacer:
i urge you to listen to Tupac and expand your musical horizons

Sounds good dude, I'm always open to new things. I've never even heard a whole Tupac song, but respect him as an artist. His style worked, and he had an idea of what he was doing in the sense of music. But now that he isn't makin a whole lot of music anymore, things have pretty much gone down hill in my opinion. Seams like we're talkin bout two different kinds of rap. You with Tupac in the beguining (which I easily respect, though its not my thing) and me with the rap of today. Which again isn't my thing, but I can respect in the most basic sense of understanding people are different.

Hey Migracer I left you a response on the last page of this thread, did you see it? Also, if you don't mind, whats your name dude? Just so I can actually refer to you as I would in society and not as Migracer. Thanks ~ Rex
hunteri heroici.
Always Born a Crime
hunteri heroici.
June 5th, 2008 at 05:22pm
Yeah.
I was simply stating that the band (as in the members) did not save your life.
If you read more carefully, you'll see that I say that their lyrics helped you save your life.
xD
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
June 5th, 2008 at 06:00pm
^ Yeah but now your splitting a pretty small hair. I just think your being to definate and harsh based on your own opinons. You've got to understand all people are different and can draw different conclusions then your own. It all depends on your point of view and your definition of "saved." ~ Rex
hunteri heroici.
Always Born a Crime
hunteri heroici.
June 5th, 2008 at 06:30pm
Now, did I say that people have to agree with me?
No, I didn't.
Everyone has their opinion.
I just stated mine.
kthnx
Tikva
Fabulous Killjoy
Tikva
June 5th, 2008 at 09:07pm
Sad As In Pathetic;:
Yeah.
I was simply stating that the band (as in the members) did not save your life.
If you read more carefully, you'll see that I say that their lyrics helped you save your life.
xD

The way that I would phrase that would be that the Band Members, through the writing (lyrics), creating, and sharing of their music helped save my life.
Tikva
Fabulous Killjoy
Tikva
June 5th, 2008 at 09:21pm
mindfuck.:

Yes, agreed. It is a phrase that is bandied about a lot, and has become a fad. You know, one of the things that concerns me about this is the responsibility that is inadvertently placed upon these young men (re saving lives) is just too much, and not fair to them personally. Because, in effect, the reverse can also be said, as in the case of the young girl who committed suicide in the UK.

On Buzznet, although it may have been mentioned here as well, was something that Gerard apparently said at the end of a concert, which was "If we never play another show ever again, keep yourself alive". I was quite surprised at the response to this, as I didn't take that message as meaning they weren't going to ever play again, or anything like that. What I 'heard' in that message was "Don't depend on us, on music. Regardless of what happens in your life, keep yourself alive!". And in that, I felt that I also heard the pressure of the responsibility of other people's lives being expressed by Gerard. Find this hard to put into words to adequately express what I'm trying to say, but hope you get the gist..........

And yes, it is a very personal story, and believe me when I say that what I wrote is a tiny portion of it. And just to bring a little up to date, the children are now back in my care, except for one who is in the legal system right now; I stopped prostituting myself a year ago, and am now employed part-time as an Office Administrator; I stopped smoking marijuana and I am getting the professional help that I need. I am moving on, and moving forwards, but still have a long way to go. However, I know I WILL get there.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 6th, 2008 at 02:36pm
KingRex:

Okay, but its not the same kinda influence as Hendirx or Cream covering a Howlin Wolf song. I'd be really interested to hear a Killin Floor Remix haha. Like I said before, I think its more of a general progression, where things are taken in and used in the sense of creating somthing new from the old, not because Snoop Dog can't get enough of Robert Johnson; that has yet to become clear to me, in any sense.

Sounds good dude, I'm always open to new things. I've never even heard a whole Tupac song, but respect him as an artist. His style worked, and he had an idea of what he was doing in the sense of music. But now that he isn't makin a whole lot of music anymore, things have pretty much gone down hill in my opinion. Seams like we're talkin bout two different kinds of rap. You with Tupac in the beguining (which I easily respect, though its not my thing) and me with the rap of today. Which again isn't my thing, but I can respect in the most basic sense of understanding people are different.

Hey Migracer I left you a response on the last page of this thread, did you see it? Also, if you don't mind, whats your name dude? Just so I can actually refer to you as I would in society and not as Migracer. Thanks ~ Rex

But your wrong there too, alot of rap music samples blues and jazz. infact alot of the people who mix the tracks grew up listening to blues and jazz. i mean to you it probably sounds like theres no relation but there is alot you just need to rip your head out of the mindset where you think Hendrix is a this jazz and blues puritan when it comes to jazz in blues where in reality he kinda mutilated it. its probably because you dont listen intently enough to the raw basic elements of the music.

just because theyre arnt solos doesnt mean its not derivative of jazz and blues.

and new school rap isnt that bad, the production value today is excellent in my oppion. though alot of people disagree i feel that even though the lyrical content has dropped with most top 40 hip hop i must admit the tracks are sounding pretty good music wise. the beats and bass lines are well laced and even though most rappers talk about mindless things these days their lyrical delivery is pretty flawless, minus souljah boy though.

alot of people really dont understand the complex amazingness of hip hop. they really dont see past the "bitches and hos"

annaaloves
Bleeding on the Floor
annaaloves
June 6th, 2008 at 04:55pm
Music is a really powerful thing, the impact of it depends on the listener, like some people just listen to it just to pass time or for enjoyment but others listen to it more seriously like when im feeling down i listen to songs where i can relate to the lyrics and it makes me feel better. With MCR, if they mean 'saving your life' by changing your perspective on life and making you think more positively then i guess they have saved my life. I personally think that the meaning of that phrase depends on the fan and how they see as having their lives saved but i do believe that some fans just say it for the hell of it which makes it sort of lose its meaning.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
June 6th, 2008 at 09:12pm
Sad As In Pathetic;:
Everyone has their opinion.
I just stated mine.

So true, but I think you did more then state your opinion. In your haste to do so I feel you came across as making an argoent one sided statement that a band is "definately not your saviour." If the harshness was not your intention, fine, but you might want to choose your words more carfully next time.

Alright Miguel, I am at your mercy for I have no trouble saying I'm igroent when it comes to rap. I really don't see such a connection as you do, but then again I deleted all the rap from my ipod months ago and there wasn't much to beguin with. If you say there is some great music link between rap and blues, fine I can hear that cause I respect your knowledge from someone who is honestly interested in rap and can draw insight from it. For the record I see Hendrix as an amazing artist who took the blues to new hights, and yes in a sense he did "mutilate" it, but I would say that in a positive manner, with you it seams negative.
And I really don't appreciate you insulting my ability to hear music for what it is. I've gotten lost in enough Hendrix jams to understand far more about actual MUSIC and how it weaves together then most of my daily peers, at least in the sense of the blues and rock.

To be honest I find rap today to be pretty demoralizing and kind of a waste because I feel we are capable of so much more. I know this is just an opinon, but really if all the kids into rap recived better insight of life and the world through the music and not some ficitcious gangsta image, things would sure be different in society. The same can be said about all the "emo" bands mindlessly screaming on stage...

Again, you are the first person i've EVER come across to use the words "complex amazingness and hip hop in the same sentence." The only song I still have on my ipod is Where Is The Love, if that counts. Its older in the sense of music today, but I like the message and listen to it when it comes up on shuffle. Maybe this all has some thin to do with me being in the US, I've heard vauge rumors that rap is more sophisticated in the land down under...

Migaracer:
they really dont see past the "bitches and hos"

Well you sure hit it on the head there, glad you can understand the not understanding, or even my lack of wanting to understand
As I said before, theres a response of mine on the first page where I answered your questions, and asked some about Zappa; I'm interested to hear what you have to say...
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 7th, 2008 at 12:05am
KingRex:

Alright Miguel, I am at your mercy for I have no trouble saying I'm igroent when it comes to rap. I really don't see such a connection as you do, but then again I deleted all the rap from my ipod months ago and there wasn't much to beguin with. If you say there is some great music link between rap and blues, fine I can hear that cause I respect your knowledge from someone who is honestly interested in rap and can draw insight from it. For the record I see Hendrix as an amazing artist who took the blues to new hights, and yes in a sense he did "mutilate" it, but I would say that in a positive manner, with you it seams negative.
And I really don't appreciate you insulting my ability to hear music for what it is. I've gotten lost in enough Hendrix jams to understand far more about actual MUSIC and how it weaves together then most of my daily peers, at least in the sense of the blues and rock.

To be honest I find rap today to be pretty demoralizing and kind of a waste because I feel we are capable of so much more. I know this is just an opinon, but really if all the kids into rap recived better insight of life and the world through the music and not some ficitcious gangsta image, things would sure be different in society. The same can be said about all the "emo" bands mindlessly screaming on stage...

Again, you are the first person i've EVER come across to use the words "complex amazingness and hip hop in the same sentence." The only song I still have on my ipod is Where Is The Love, if that counts. Its older in the sense of music today, but I like the message and listen to it when it comes up on shuffle. Maybe this all has some thin to do with me being in the US, I've heard vauge rumors that rap is more sophisticated in the land down under...

Migaracer:
they really dont see past the "bitches and hos"

Well you sure hit it on the head there, glad you can understand the not understanding, or even my lack of wanting to understand
As I said before, theres a response of mine on the first page where I answered your questions, and asked some about Zappa; I'm interested to hear what you have to say...

well im sorry if i insulted you but you really do need to listen a bit harder. i've been playing guitar since i was ten and looking at enough sheet music and tablature its easy for me to make statements like that, however that is in no part an insult to you though .

i dont really feel be brought blues to new heights, if he did bring them to new heights his work would probably considered the norm. if anything hes doing what you said rap music did and progressed it. blues or at least the purest form of it still exists void of whatever Hendrix did.

eh i really dont factor the black eye peas as " hip hop amazing" at the end of the day they are what to hip as to what the click five are to rock music. hip hop isnt complex here in fact most of the time its a bunch of dudes who think they " ghetto" itss pretty top forty influenced. its only sophisticated where it originated. the highest form of hip hop complexity in genius lies solely with the Beastie Boys

i mean if you think about it hip hops been around since the early to mid seventies. and when it started it was void of all the corporate plan to use it as a tool to rake in money. and its evolution to now has been fast and breathtaking. i have the same respect as i do with rappers as i do a band. at times i feel that the production work on hip hop records is double that of a bands work.

ide be happy to point you into the direction of some
excellent hip hop .
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 7th, 2008 at 12:34am
The thing to remember with hip hop and rap is that they are just other genres of music. Sure, there may be some hip hop / rap artists who appear to be devoid of talent and only rap about sluts, sex and more sex, but I can also name some so-called rock/alternative groups who I also think are devoid of talent, and who also write songs that are mind-numbingly boring and repetitive to listen to. I personally hate Fueled By Ramon bands because I just think all the bands on that label are boring and plain. But does that mean they are boring and plain to everyone? No. In fact, most people love them, for some reason.

I think MigRacer above me said something about rap music being top-forty influenced? Forgive me if I misunderstood that. But if that's the case, then I completely agree. It is so easy to turn on the radio and hear the next big rap / hip hop hit, complete with the same old template of a heavy bass, confusing street slang, and maybe a touch of misogyny. Similarly, it is so easy to turn on the radio and hear the next big pop rock / alternative hit, complete with the same old template of boring, repetitive, "catchy" guitar riffs, lyrics about lost love / heartbreak / or just love in general.

The point I'm trying to make is that any genre has it's dud and dull representations, but if you look deeper into it, you'll find some real gems that standout, and go beyond the stereotype.
GoodnightNurse
Killjoy
GoodnightNurse
June 7th, 2008 at 02:20am
i think that the "my chem saved my life"is a bit over the top.. but there songs could've helped people through tough times you never knwo maybe thats wat they mean by "saved my life". but yeah I agreee with most of the people in this board..