Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
July 5th, 2009 at 10:48pm
^ I think music has influence, but it has no real physical power on its own. Beyond a certain point, music has no power to change someone's mind, because they're very hard-set on it. But there are times when it can, and the power it has changes from situation to situation, person to person, even with the same song or band.

btw, Tylenol is amazing, but it doesn't always work! >.<
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
July 6th, 2009 at 01:52am
i wholly think that music is something special.
i believe that music is about expressing a feeling. and if you can relate to the feeling,
then i think it can 'save' you. well, more, it gives you the inspiration to save yourself.

Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 22nd, 2009 at 11:07am
Don Ricalo:
My taste is literally mine. This is down to my tastes and personality as the genres I enjoy are vast. The point to this is that people my age enjoy all of these new sounds while I despise it, I see no real skill or talent in their material and refuse to listen to them any further. This isn't just down to a matter of taste, the songs don't even have meaning or identity for the most part, they'll all sound the same, be in a genre that's popular for the best sales, there's no original, unique sound and it's all just so bland.

You were fine until you said this. You contradicted yourself by stating that your opinions were based on personal taste, then went on to aver that whatever you don't like is crap. Because you stated your opinion in that manner, it now becomes alright for us to tell you that you are 100% unequivocally incorrect (by the way, is My Chem included in the short list of artists whose first albums were released after 2000 that you can tolerate? Just wondering, since you're here and all.) It is extremely ignorant of you to state that every single band, song and album this entire decade sound alike, have no meaning and belong in the same genre (I think there are way too many of those anyhow. You're either metal, punk, jazz, country, R&B, rap, techno or rock. That's it. There is no need for 750 micro-descriptions, and most metal and punk bands think of themselves simply as rock bands, anyhow.) As far as I'm concerned, anything intelligent that you might have had to contribute to this discussion got tossed out the window when you made such a blanket statement. When you correct your post, I'll listen to you again.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 22nd, 2009 at 11:59am
Don Ricalo:
This is exactly what I refer to when I say that I get into disagreements over that statement. That's exactly how I view it though and I will not be correcting anything. It's simply a somewhat childish act to ignore someone's contribution because you disagree with their opinion. As we've also already covered, music is what it is to the individual listener, you seem to be telling me how to listen to my music and how to list it by genre, but that's your opinion and not mine, so it doesn't matter to me and I'll do as I please. Also in saying "you're one of these genres" is extremely small-minded, reminding me of religion in that you have to be in a certain group, Christian, Islamic, Atheist etc, it's a ridiculous idea that I completely disagree with. If that's how you see my contributions then that's fine as I'm feeling exactly the same towards yours after that hostility that was completely uncalled for, what happened to freedom of opinions? On that basis, you can just ignore what I have to say from now on should I reply here again as there are more people on this forum to discuss this with than just you.
But for the record, I'm not an MCR listener, I never have been nor will be, I find them completely overrated and dislike their sound.

1) Why would you waste time posting on the message board of a band you don't even like? I'll never understand people who do this.
2) You didn't pay attention to a single thing that I said. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You, however, negated that fact when you stated (and I am going to quote you once again)
Don Ricalo:
My taste is literally mine. This is down to my tastes and personality as the genres I enjoy are vast. The point to this is that people my age enjoy all of these new sounds while I despise it, I see no real skill or talent in their material and refuse to listen to them any further. This isn't just down to a matter of taste, the songs don't even have meaning or identity for the most part, they'll all sound the same, be in a genre that's popular for the best sales, there's no original, unique sound and it's all just so bland.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 22nd, 2009 at 03:27pm
Don Ricalo:

This I feel about sums up why I can say what I do. I don't give a fuck about your opinion and only mine matters Smile
Hypocrite?
Sure.
Caring?
Not a bit.

Also Ignorant. Only your opinion matters? Who the hell do you think you are?

You cant say that then write
what happened to freedom of opinions?

Your saying your passionate about music, well Deb might be too. So don't get all annoyed when she defends her opinion as you said that you did before. This is a discussion forum so if your not up for discussion then don't bother .

Also, Shouting down other peoples musical tastes doesnt make you anymore of a hardcore fan and it definitly doesnt prove your love for music.
Search and Destroy
Search and Destroy
July 22nd, 2009 at 04:13pm
Don Ricalo:
This I feel about sums up why I can say what I do. I don't give a fuck about your opinion and only mine matters Smile
Hypocrite?
Sure.
Caring?
Not a bit.
You clearly need to re-read The Rules & treat people with respect when you post on INO.
I don't care about how things were over on theblackparade.net, maybe you talked to people like that over there but it'll not fly here so knock it on the head & don't even bother getting all sarky/uppity with me cos that would not be a good idea.

This thread is for people to discuss their opinions on Music, if you don't want to join the discussion then don't bother posting as people will comment on your post since that is the whole point of the discussion forum.

Thanks
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
July 22nd, 2009 at 05:30pm
Oh and when you re-read the rules perhaps you can check out the first rule.

Tallulah; Schechter:

These are the INO Golden Rules.

1)When you join INO it is important you know that you are only allowed one account.
Some people have been banned in the past for making multiple accounts. We are adamant that you abide by this rule, if you are found to have a second account you will be banned. If you have more than one account it is assumed that you are creating a fake user. Here at INO we do not want our users to be tricked by fakes.

Care to explain why you have at least three accounts?

I'll give you some time to PM me....
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
July 22nd, 2009 at 05:46pm
Don Ricalo:
This is exactly what I refer to when I say that I get into disagreements over that statement. That's exactly how I view it though and I will not be correcting anything. It's simply a somewhat childish act to ignore someone's contribution because you disagree with their opinion.
I can appreciate some people's musical talent even when I don't actively listen to it by choice, but for the vast majority I simply do not see the attraction in music from this decade, as I said I feel it's bland and generic.
By all means, feel free to tell me all my music is crap but as I also said I'm arrogant, aggressive and abusive and will simply disagree and shout down anyone who wants to say that. Now who's being childish, right? Well music is the one thing I have in life I'm passionate about, I really do struggle to think of something else I care about, let alone as much as I do about music, so if you're going to bad mouth it, I'm going to defend it with hostility.
As we've also already covered, music is what it is to the individual listener, you seem to be telling me how to listen to my music and how to list it by genre, but that's your opinion and not mine, so it doesn't matter to me and I'll do as I please. Also in saying "you're one of these genres" is extremely small-minded, reminding me of religion in that you have to be in a certain group, Christian, Islamic, Atheist etc, it's a ridiculous idea that I completely disagree with. You can listen to as many genres as you please and have your individual identity without boxing yourself into a certain style.
If that's how you see my contributions then that's fine as I'm feeling exactly the same towards yours after that hostility that was completely uncalled for, what happened to freedom of opinions? On that basis, you can just ignore what I have to say from now on should I reply here again as there are more people on this forum to discuss this with than just you.
But for the record, I'm not an MCR listener, I never have been nor will be, I find them completely overrated and dislike their sound.
So you're saying Britney Spears sounds like, we'll say Fall Out Boy. Eminem sounds like Miley Cyrus. Alicia Keys sounds like The Used. Your statement on everything sounding the same is completely and utterly untrue as there are many genres. 50 Cent doesn't belong grouped in with Muse, why would you say they all deserve to be grouped in together? It makes no sense. You looking down on the newer contributions to music is just as close minded as you think Deb is being.

You're talking about freedom of speech?
Don Ricalo:
I don't give a fuck about your opinion and only mine matters Smile
I see the freedom of speech you're speaking of now. Get over yourself.

btw, the point of the discussions forum is to discuss topics. You're opinion isn't the sole opinion on this site. It doesn't matter much now anyways. I don't get why you join MCR forums (this one 3 times? we must be special) if you've never been an MCR fan.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 22nd, 2009 at 06:47pm
Don Ricalo:

You obviously haven't heard a lot of new music. If you only listen to the chart toppers then yes you'll get some pretty awful stuff, that's nothing new. But there are also a lot of new bands that don't get much attention and are great. Especially if you're taking about classical, or orchestral music. There are a lot of new guys that are amazing. In the Jazz arena, I've just discovered Rob McGaha, who is amazing, and I'm not the only one who says so, music experts are in love with him. Although his first album was out in 1999, so I guess he escapes your cut off year. You just make these blanket statements without knowing much about what you're talking about. What you say is a classic fallacy. If a song is made after 2000 it sucks, there fore any good song must be made before then. You can see the fallacious reasoning can you not? Further more you are an ass. You were right to describe yourself as arrogant, that's exactly what you are, and that's not a good thing. It seems you've come her to simply stir up hate and cause a big fight. You're not even debating you're just making attacks on people.
Congratulations, troll.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 23rd, 2009 at 11:05am
Don Ricalo:
It isn't wasted time, actually. I enjoy the community of people on here and so will continue to post, as I used to over on theblackparade.net for 2 1/2 years before the community fell apart and I grew bored of it. I did pay attention to what you said, I replied to all of it in turn.

You're really stubborn, huh? For the last time, I requoted you in huge letters to point out the hypocrisy of you stating that you were judging things by personal taste, then going on to say that everything new past 2000 sounded the same AND THAT THAT STATEMENT IS NOT JUST BASED UPON PERSONAL TASTE. You stated that last as if it were a fact. I am, for the millionth time, objecting to the way that you presented that statement, NOT the fact that you made it at all. Do I agree with it? No, but we would have had a healthy debate about it had you presented is as opinion, rather than fact. I told you I was discounting your contribution to the discussion until you changed your presentation, not your opinion. You then went on to attack me, which the board seems to be of the decided opinion that you were just waiting to do, and I agree.

I personally don't comprehend why a person would spend all their free time in "a community that they like" dedicated to a band they claim not to care about. I'm sure plenty of good, intelligent people listen to Britney Spears, as well, however, I don't, so I am not going to go sign up on all her message boards just to debate subjects with her fans. That makes no sense to me, and this isn't the only MCR fan board that you post at, either. What's that about, I'm curious?
xo_elly_x
Killjoy
xo_elly_x
July 23rd, 2009 at 11:38pm
i believe that music does change lives and all but not to the degree that people say it does. yes, mcr probably changed people's lives, but they probably weren't the only factor that influenced that change. the song lyrics and the meanings behind the songs could have hit someone hard and they could understand and relate, but it was also personal choice. i'm not saying that these people are liars or trying to fit in because "everyone says that MCR changed their lives, so i must too", its just overrated. i can see how Skylies And Turnstiles has helped people cope with the September 11 attacks, Famous Last Words has helped some people stand up and remember that they are important and stuff. music for me sort of impacts my life, it helps me release some anger, sadness, etc. but i listen for the sole purpose of enjoyment of that music.
FrankIero.ismyhero
Killjoy
FrankIero.ismyhero
July 30th, 2009 at 05:37pm
music has a huge impact on my life, I can honestly say without it i would have killed myself, and I'm not just saying that. To me, music is a whole other world where you don't have to pretend, its an escape, if you look on my mp3 player, you'll find the bands i listen to when I'm sad, or angry, or happy, all these different emotions, its like looking into my diary, or my thoughts in my head. the band that helps me the most is My Chemical Romance, because, well, I guess I can relate to allot of what they talk about in their songs. Without music, life would be unfair..

When words fail....Music speaks..

Music screams the words we are to afraid to say.
daremr_MCRmy
Killjoy
daremr_MCRmy
August 13th, 2009 at 08:44pm
It depends on the person.
I am also one of those people My Chem saved.
They lyrics in their songs, and knowing just a little of their past
They understand, they've been through a lot, they've suffered, and they speak out to their fans, and a fan like myself feel like we're not they only people out they're suffering. Things that are hard to speak out loud, afraid if people will judge you or not, what they're going to think, and how they'll treat you. You don't necassarily have to when the people in your favorite band understand, and the lyrics are telling you it's okay to be different, and it's okay to be an outcast, and how being an outcast isn't bad, because you're yourself, not a fake. And telling you that all you need to do is believe in yourself. Love yourself. And listen to the people that have risked their own life to let you know these things, such as My Chemical Romance.
certain romance
Thinking Happy Thoughts
certain romance
August 13th, 2009 at 09:09pm
honestly from the peole i know it differs greatly, like me a lot of my friends are really select about the music we listen to. if we listen to it then its cause we love it and have a real respect for the band or singers, lyrics in a song mean a lot to me, and i cant say ive respect for "musicians" who dont write or play their own music, however more of my friends will listen to anything as to them its only background noise. so i guess it comes down passion. i believe it can be a vital part of your life if you embrace it
daremr_MCRmy
Killjoy
daremr_MCRmy
August 13th, 2009 at 09:15pm
Mindfuck:
Lovesick Melody.:

Oh no, my rant-senses are tingling. lmfao

Okay...
In regards to the 'My Chemical Romance saved my life' thing, I think people lie.
Well, not straight out lie, but say it without meaning. It seems to me that you have to say it to be a true or real fan.
This isn't just in regards to My Chem, but to any band.
It's just been overused ever since LOTMS came out, and to be frank, its not real.
I mean, people seem to follow My Chems word as if its some kind of rule.
I do not find this is the case.
I disagree when people say My Chem saved their life.
They did not physically make you stop cutting. YOU did.
They may have helped a hell of a lot, but they did not stop it all on their own.

Another thing I... well I wouldn't say hate, but dislike strongly, is when people say music is their life and dont actually know the meaning of it.
It seems to me that whenever someone loves a band to death, they say music is their life.
It is not. Just because you are the top fan, does not mean music is your life.

I completely agree with all of this, especially the part about My Chemical Romance.
I know this thread isn't solely about them, but I do feel the same - I've heard "MCR saved my life!!" so many times now, I think it's lost all meaning.

I don't think bands necessarily "save" lives, regardless of what they may say. Ultimately, if you are in a bad place and you feel you need to be "saved" somewhat, in the end the person who is going to do that is you, not a band. I believe that music can help people overcome things, but I don't think it is the sole savior of someone. It takes a lot of strength to overcome something like depression, and when I hear people crediting bands such as MCR with "pulling them out of depression", I can't help but feel skeptical.

THAT, is a bunch of BULL SHIT. When you're deep in depression and My Chem is your only resort of life, then you can fucking tell us your feelings about this shit, you don't know, apparently, and this really pisses me off. You think it's a lie? PLEASE. You try living in some of our minds. You wouldn't fucking last.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 16th, 2009 at 12:19am
daremr_MCRmy:
THAT, is a bunch of BULL SHIT. When you're deep in depression and My Chem is your only resort of life, then you can fucking tell us your feelings about this shit, you don't know, apparently, and this really pisses me off. You think it's a lie? PLEASE. You try living in some of our minds. You wouldn't fucking last.

Chill the freak out. There's no reason to attack people like that. You don't know everything and you're young and ignorant. They're allowed to say what they want. What they're saying is completely true. Lots of people just say "oh yeah MCR totally saved my life" because it's the cool thing to do to fit in. I don't know why you and other's insist on saying that five strangers saved your lives, why can't you just say 'hey you know what, I'm a strong person and I can get through this", which is what I think happens anyway, but for some reason you don't want to admit it.
fawkes
Bleeding on the Floor
fawkes
August 16th, 2009 at 01:12am
I think music has some influence, but it's more of a supporting factor in people's decisions rather that the cause of them. Someone who's planning a murder might like listening to songs about murder just as someone who's depressed might like listening to songs about depression. I don't think that music can't physically save your life. It can make you consider things you hadn't thought of before, but you ultimately get to choose.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 16th, 2009 at 06:22am
daremr_MCRmy:
Of course if you're obsessed with a band enough and listen to their music everyday then they're probably going to alleviate some depression symptoms. Music does have the ability to bring you out of dark spots, but does it last? I don't think it does. Music can give one a temporary feeling of happiness, thus alleviating someone for a moment of time from their depression or feelings of suicide.

I have no doubt in my mind that there are some bands who have aided people in getting better and becoming healthier (in the mind), but I am still very skeptical of bands saving lives. I still believe that it's the individual that ultimately pulls themselves out of a depressive state.

People and bands and music can help, but I think a lot of people don't give themselves and their mental strength enough credit. The buck stops with you. Music can inspire you, but only you choose what you want to do with it.

Oh, and there are better ways of getting your opinion across without coming off in a horrible, aggressive way Mr. Green
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
August 16th, 2009 at 08:43am
I usually think its the people in the band, and not the music that 'saves peoples life', for lack of a better phrase.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
August 16th, 2009 at 09:37am
daremr_MCRmy:

Watch your language and tone please. There are rules for the discussion forum, you can find them on the forum front page. Please read them.

If you have any other questions/comments feel free to PM me.

Thanks.