Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
jfc113
Salute You in Your Grave
jfc113
September 30th, 2009 at 09:28pm
I agree with Mindfuck. I mean, music has definitely had a huge impact on my life and made me a happier person. It's brought out things in me that I never realized I had, and inspires me all the time but I don't think I could ever say that a band has saved me. Listening to music can inspire you and really helps you feel like you're not alone, but writing your own stuff is what music's about. Expressing your own ideas and feelings is 10x more satisfying than listening to a song and saying: "I agree with this." I mean, do you ever see musicians getting really emotional when they're doing a Ramones cover rather than something they wrote? Just think about about a composer that's nearly in tears conducting an orchestra that's playing his or her piece. That's what music is. Not that other people's music can't have an impact on you. I'll admit that there are songs out there that have brought me to tears before, but try writing one and then hearing your band play it - it has the same effect, only it's crazy to hear your ideas out loud and means much more than your favorite song could. I hate to say it, but most of you who are claiming that MCR saved you will grow out of that phase where you feel you need to say it to be a fan. My Chem is a great band, and I won't deny that, but there are far more inspiring things out there than them. They do have a good message and help you think more positively about yourself but I wouldn't say they save lives.

...That rant was a bit of a cross between Dr. Phil and a really cheesy rant about my personal feelings on music. Sorry. >.<
Jenny.
Jenny.
October 3rd, 2009 at 06:38pm
daremr_MCRmy:

THAT, is a bunch of BULL SHIT. When you're deep in depression and My Chem is your only resort of life, then you can fucking tell us your feelings about this shit, you don't know, apparently, and this really pisses me off. You think it's a lie? PLEASE. You try living in some of our minds. You wouldn't fucking last.

Honey, calm down.

Don't swear on the discussions board.
I'm pretty sure you don't know the people you're slagging off, so I wouldn't make assumptions that "your mind" is a worse place to be than theirs...

edit: /justnoticedlulah'spost xD
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
October 4th, 2009 at 06:25am
My Chem saved my life? Excuse me? This is a gross misintepretation. To "save someones life" generally denotes physically helping. Sure music may HELP someone but in no way can music save someones life
Jenny.
Jenny.
October 4th, 2009 at 07:33am
I agree with Daft.
Music, in my opinion, sure can HELP "save someone's life" in that it gives someone something to focus on, to love, to look forward to, but it can't physically bring you to life.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
October 4th, 2009 at 03:31pm
^ But at the same time, if without music the person would die because they didn't have that thing to focus on, I think it can still be considered what saved that person's life.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
October 4th, 2009 at 04:58pm
I think that if someone can claim that music saved there life, they must have wanted to be saved anyway. I dont think music can give someone a whole new outlook on there life like magic.
Jenny.
Jenny.
October 4th, 2009 at 05:53pm
That's true. Someone can only be saved if they want to be.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
October 6th, 2009 at 05:58pm
daremr_MCRmy:

THAT, is a bunch of BULL SHIT. When you're deep in depression and My Chem is your only resort of life, then you can fucking tell us your feelings about this shit, you don't know, apparently, and this really pisses me off. You think it's a lie? PLEASE. You try living in some of our minds. You wouldn't fucking last.

First off, please watch your language as there are rules in the discussion board.
Secondly, please treat me with respect and I'll do that same to you, thanks.
Thirdly, I totally see what your saying. But can you see what Im saying?

Don't immediately close your mind when an opinion comes along you don't like.

daremr_MCRmy:
THAT, is a bunch of BULL SHIT.

And please look closely at what I am saying. I am not saying that My Chemical Romance does sqaut, that they don't help at all. In fact, I'm saying that they help a hell of a lot. But Im trying to tell you to take credit for coming out of that destructive spiral. They may have been there to encourage you and support you and they probably helped tremendously, but ultimately YOU were the one who said "You know what? I don't want to live my life this way."

If you can respond maturely then I will be happy to talk about it more.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
October 6th, 2009 at 06:05pm
valentine.:
That's true. Someone can only be saved if they want to be.

This post reminded me of something said on here a while back.

If music can save, can't it go the other way too? If My Chemical Romance 'saves' lives and they have that much influence over teens, then doesn't their music have the power to destroy lives to if misinterpreted? Make teenagers committ suicide?

After all music can 'save' so they must be able to 'condemn' to...?
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
October 6th, 2009 at 06:45pm
Lovesick Melody.:

This post reminded me of something said on here a while back.

If music can save, can't it go the other way too? If My Chemical Romance 'saves' lives and they have that much influence over teens, then doesn't their music have the power to destroy lives to if misinterpreted? Make teenagers committ suicide?

Yeah ive said that before; however the same applies. If music is enough to make you want to commit suicide, the issues must have already been there.
dotdotdot
Killjoy
dotdotdot
October 7th, 2009 at 11:02am
Music has helped me in life ebfore. Music has hurt me in life before. I play instruments, I ahve a huge music collection ranging with themes from suicide, to rainbows etc etc. Does the effect last? I don't think so. I hear songs that remind me of certain things and it kills em inside. I hear songs that make me happy and I am happy, but that happiness or saddness from the music doesn't last for me. Music can't really save me if I don't want to be saved. It can't hurt me if I don't ant to be hurt. It all depends on how you are feeling and what the music says to you.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
October 7th, 2009 at 07:56pm
Lovesick Melody.:

And please look closely at what I am saying. I am not saying that My Chemical Romance does sqaut, that they don't help at all. In fact, I'm saying that they help a hell of a lot. But Im trying to tell you to take credit for coming out of that destructive spiral. They may have been there to encourage you and support you and they probably helped tremendously, but ultimately YOU were the one who said "You know what? I don't want to live my life this way."

I know that wasn't directed at me, but that makes a lot of sense to me. At the same time, though, you could also use it to argue that friends, family- real people who physically affect our daily lives- are the same. Unless they physically pull you back, then did they really save your life?
What are your thoughts on that?
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 8th, 2009 at 01:59am
Lovesick Melody.:
If music can save, can't it go the other way too? If My Chemical Romance 'saves' lives and they have that much influence over teens, then doesn't their music have the power to destroy lives to if misinterpreted? Make teenagers commit suicide?

[/color] [/font] [/size]
That's a really good point, and I'm pretty sure thats been said before.

This is all about a magical word called interpretation.

When I was younger, I'm not gonna lie, I was desperate, I was a mess, I was self destructive. Then I found MCR. Before MCR, yes I wanted to be saved. When the band came into my life, it inspired me to get up and move on with my life. It inspired me to not just live, but to be the best person I could be. Not only that, thanks to them I found support from other fans, people who've talked me through some of the hardest times, when I was so ready to give up. In fact I did give up, I tried to kill myself, and it didn't work. So I was planning my next time when I found the group.

Now younger me, was already looking for something to help me. It's totally possible they could have done the opposite and they could have pushed me over. But they made me feel like I wasn't alone, like it would all be OK, turns out thats what I needed. The music was always there for me, the lyrics I had memorized were always at hand.

I don't really say "My Chemical Romance saved me" anymore cause simply they didn't, they just aided me for me to help myself. They were there for me and are like my cheerleaders to keep on going. I can't express how much they mean to me, but I try to show it by living in a way that if they knew me, then they'd be proud.

But then again, it could have all been different.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
October 8th, 2009 at 08:30am
In that case and most others, I think the statement "MCR inspires me" or "MCR really made me feel better" would be more accurate. I'm not sure if that's what you're saying though? xD
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
October 8th, 2009 at 08:54am
questionable content:

I know that wasn't directed at me, but that makes a lot of sense to me. At the same time, though, you could also use it to argue that friends, family- real people who physically affect our daily lives- are the same. Unless they physically pull you back, then did they really save your life?
What are your thoughts on that?

Hmmm... Very valid point. I can try explain...

I would be more inclined to think that they helped save me to be honest. I can see what you mean though, I think it's more being picky with the words used. Personally for me I would look at it as people contributing to my wellbeing, instead of literally 'saving me.

I'm sorry, I know this is a really loose description Smile
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
October 8th, 2009 at 09:01am

Just for the record: This is not specific to MCR, they are only an example. This can be applied to any band/singer/genre.
I just don't want people to be all like 'this is turning into a MCR fest!' Wink

peter bishop:
In that case and most others, I think the statement "MCR inspires me" or "MCR really made me feel better" would be more accurate. I'm not sure if that's what you're saying though? xD

I think of bands and music in general as an escape. A way I can become somebody else or be put into a situation I would otherwise not encounter. My life seems irrelevant when I listen to music, I totally lose myself and forget about my real troubles. This is why I like to describe music as my 'refuge.' Its a place I can escape to when I feel down, and I think thats the appeal to many people. Because when you lose yourself you feel like the band can understand you, you can relate to them. And this in turn makes people feel like their not alone. I think that's one of the reasons that people feel the band 'saved' them, because they feel understood and therefore can pull out of a destructive cycle.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 8th, 2009 at 04:11pm
peter bishop:

yeah it is. Basically I'm saying when people claim that music saved them, all it really did was inspire them. We can get inspired by anything. For me I was using my own personal example which just happened to be MCR.
Wandering_Soul
Jazz Hands
Wandering_Soul
October 8th, 2009 at 08:24pm
Music to me is a place to seek comfort, inspiration, and creation. Music can comfort you when your down, and when you find a song that really speaks to you, or a band that you really agree with you have found something to help you pick your life up. I usually felt bored with my life, and that I had no purpose. Everyday I would go through the motions, each day the same pattern. Nothing changed and I was stuck in a cycle. That all changed when I found Avenged Sevenfold and Disturbed. They helped me open my eyes to all the benefits that I had. They helped me change my mindset about life, to go out and try new things, and try and make the world a better place one step at a time. These bands completely turned my life around and I cannot express how grateful I am towards them.

The music can inspire you to get better, and re-invent yourself into something new. The joy that comes from creating music is like a drug to me. If Im ever feeling unwanted, or unneeded all I use to do was pick up my viola and start composing and improv. It made me feel like I was contributing something beautiful to the world and that feeling is one of the best that I ever have experienced.

But music can make you feel sad and terrified as well. You, again, connect to the song and see how it can or has happened to you. It can push you into feelings that you ever knew were there, and unmask deep regets that you didn't even realize you had. For some people this can be too much, and can start a chain reaction into depression. I find that this happens only very rarely, and the people who it happens to can be pulled out fairly easily as well. My personal example is Hate me by Blue October. The song speaks to me, as I lost my grandfather to lung cancer, and I could not communicate with him as he only spoke French. In the last few years he didn't even acknoweldge the fact that I existed. Listening to that song reminds me of how little I knew him, and reveals all the regrets I have about our relationship.
MCR_Charlie
Killjoy
MCR_Charlie
October 24th, 2009 at 02:40pm
I think that music can really help you for a number of reasons, it can make you feel that you are not alone anymore, because someone finally understands.
Jenny.
Jenny.
October 24th, 2009 at 07:04pm
^ but who is that "someone", and what is it that they understand that nobody else does?