Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
November 12th, 2009 at 09:57pm
^ Its not necesarily that "someone" understands, a better way to word it would be that music gives you something to lean on when you feel that no one else can help.

And, I think in a figurative way of speaking, music can sometimes make it feel like someone understands if you can really relate to the lyrics. Obviously if the artist has gone through some issues it may seem like they would understand, but that is not the music itself. I think when music itself is combined with knowledge about what the artist who wrote the music has been through, it can make a very strong impact on someone who feels like they have no one else to turn to.

Someone brought up a good point a page or so ago about when people say a friend or someone saved their life, people aren't so skeptical of it. That's interesting to me because when people give a band or music credit for saving their lives, a lot of people will say "No they didn't. You saved your life." So I don't know why people can so easily accept it when someone says that a friend saved their life. It just seems a little odd to me.

And the argument that people don't give themselves enough credit for saving their own life, is a bit of misunderstanding regarding the whole music saving lives issues. I don't think that people are necesarily trying to give a musician all the credit when they say "[insert band name here] saved my life". If a band helped save someone's life, or just gave them the inspiration to keep on living, then I think a person would naturally be grateful and want to say that music saved their life. It can be misunderstood as meaning that a band and only a band saved their life, when maybe it is only a statement of gratitude for at least helping to save their life.

What I'm trying to say is, people probably take it lot more literally than how most people mean it.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
November 16th, 2009 at 01:34pm
it really matters on the person, the song and both. I believe that songs and the way they sound can affect you psychologically, whether it be a little emotion that you get from the song that provokes you to think deeper into something.

Some poeple listen to music just to hear the music, and others read and think about and cherish the music and the lyrics.
justanotherfakesmile
Killjoy
justanotherfakesmile
November 19th, 2009 at 07:31am
Also, a lot of people listen to music to relate to it, for example, if you can't speak to people about it, it helps to hear something that seems like its coming from your own thoughts. That's why I write a lot of lyrics myself, it helps things look clearer and then helps you solve the issue.
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
November 19th, 2009 at 03:13pm

I, personally, listen to alot of music because of the music, and not the singer/lyrics.

Lots of music may have touched me, but find that the actual music makes an impact as music as the lyrics. And emotional songs- alot would not be as emontional with out the musicians behind it.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
November 19th, 2009 at 08:19pm
^I think that's really important, and it's what sets music apart from poetry. Like, there are definitely people who have been influenced and affected by poetry, but many more have been affected by music. I saw this quote somewhere, to paraphrase, music sets the feeling and the mood, while lyrics are the thought. Together, they cause you to feel a thought, which is much more powerful than either alone, and I think that's why so many people can identify with it.
Razzel Dazzel :D
Killjoy
Razzel Dazzel :D
November 29th, 2009 at 02:52pm
I listen to it because it influences me to write, etc. I'm not into the whole 'saving life'' thing I just love music way too much. I can relate to some songs more than others but I wouldn't go crazy over that band just because of that paticular song. It would be kind of stupid. And I do feel that music is company to people. My opinion so if anyone wants to contradict it, feel free.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
December 2nd, 2009 at 03:49pm
in my opinion, I don't think music has a huge influence on people's behavior. it depends on the person, some people can be influenced by it, but I'd say very few.
it's more in the reverse I'd say. a type of person attracts a type of music. I don't think music really changes a person. on an exterior level maybe, but not really on a personal level.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
December 2nd, 2009 at 04:13pm
I think it's more that a certain kind of music attracts a certain kind of person. And people listen to music because they can identify with it. To me, music is like taking a look at someone else's life, seeing their mistakes and their emotions and their joy. We're all people--we can almost always relate in some way. Music can be like an older sister or brother who's been through the same things and understands you...but is past that and can lead you through. Maybe you'd turn out the same way without music, but it's definitely something knowing that someone out there understands you and is always there for you, even if that person really is you.
MCRrandomness
Killjoy
MCRrandomness
December 24th, 2009 at 11:11am
music has a BIG impact. I mean how can something so simplae as sound make you feel every emotion in the book? some make us cry while others make us happy and we jump around and have fun. its an inspiration for writing. its great. what kind of a world would we be in if we didnt have music? well anyway, who hasn't cried at "Cancer" ? and who hasnt wanted to rock out when "I'm not okay" was on? music is awesome. and like many cliche stickers on myspace say, "music is life" and i think it actually truly is.
lexi7878
Killjoy
lexi7878
January 10th, 2010 at 01:26am
I agree.Music's a huge impact in life.But it doesn't save your life.Like everyone else is saying,"You save your own life" I only believe that the artist's are saved by their music.Because they make it and let their feelings out with it.For other people or fans,it just help's alot.
Or am I just fat??
Really Not Okay
Or am I just fat??
February 2nd, 2010 at 03:13pm
^
From personal experience, I agree that music can't save your life but can perhaps help you through a certain situation. Only YOU can decide what or what not to do with your life, and no, you can't base that around music but music is so cathartic that it does help you feel better or gives you a certain 'release' from the reality of the world.
Chemical Catastrophe
Awake and Unafraid
Chemical Catastrophe
February 16th, 2010 at 11:52am
Personally, I think music is extremely important for anyone. I have been playing piano for ten years and deciding to learn how was one of the best decisions I have ever made. It gives such an outlet for me and has opened many doors that otherwise would have been closed. Listening to music is important, too, but I think that playing music and learning how to play an instrument can be even more helpful because you can control what emotions you put into it and even learn how to write your own music. There is so much pride and confidence that I have gained just from playing music for most of my life.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
March 17th, 2010 at 06:53pm
I think it depends on the person, how much it affects people. Also simply on how interested they are in it. I don't think it can send anyone to suicide like it's been talked about in the papers, and shit like that. But it plays a huge part in my life, and it's hard to explain, really. It doesn't affect my mood, but I choose music to listen to to suit my mood, and that can either heighten or lessen it, whichever the desired effect is.
Buried Alive
Killjoy
Buried Alive
May 2nd, 2011 at 08:56pm
I think it depends if music helps a person. For 2 years ago I didn't care about music at all, and now is music the only thing I have. Music can make me both smile and cry. Nothing else can make me smile.
A period when I was very depressed, I came over Avenged Sevenfold. I noticed that the days when I was listening to them was much better than the others. So yes, I think music can save a person.
NoVenomForYou
Killjoy
NoVenomForYou
June 22nd, 2011 at 03:33pm
I think music is extremely important to a person's life. I, for example have gone through phases where I felt really down in the dumps and felt like giving up. The Black Parade and 21st Century breakdown really helped me through it. Not so long ago, in fact it was only like two weeks ago I was really depressed over something so I plugged in my iPod and listened. I just let the tears flow out of me. Music can be more than just lyrics and instruments. It can change your attitude towards something completely. I listened properly, beyond everything and I thought "It's not the end of the world" I was still upset but this kind of thing had happened to me before and I now realise that what I was depressed about was stupid. It was about a girl I liked and it turned out she was a total b***h. that's all I have to say on the subject. so to sum it all up, yes music is extremely important.
Malissaromance!!!
Killjoy
Malissaromance!!!
June 26th, 2011 at 01:38am
I dont like talking to ANYONE about serious things I mean noone gets it noone understands and then I have the one thing that keeps me going my drug, music. Whenever bad something happens that I just CANT tell I find a song that fits my problem perfectly and everything feels alright it. So I wouldnt say music saves lives but it can make u feel a hell of a lot better. I dont know what id do without it
KilljoyMommeh
Killjoy
KilljoyMommeh
July 19th, 2011 at 03:07pm
All I can really tell you is about my "story" and about how I feel that MCR saved my life. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer when I was 20 years old, about a year later I went into remission, that was 17 years ago. 6 months ago I was once again diagnosed with Follicular cancer. It was a very bad ending to a very long chapter in my life. I had completely lost hope, and I had prayed every single day for God to just end my misery and let me die, somewhat peacefully. My 18 year old son was a huge MCR fan and he had asked me to listen to and watch a video for "Cancer", I was in the hospital at the time, but I did as he asked. About half way through the song a realization hit me. I realized that I was not dying from cancer, I was living with it. Now, I still cry every time I hear the song, but it also gives me hope. Saying that MCR saved my life is way more than just a saying for me. My Chem restored my faith and my hope. I truly believe that if it had not been for me starting to listen to MCR that I would have given up, and would very likely be dead right now.
Its 'effing Vonda!
Fabulous Killjoy
Its 'effing Vonda!
July 27th, 2011 at 09:08am
I do truly believe that music can save lives. Whether MCR or any other band or artist. Because if I have a problem I feel like I can't talk to anybody about, there is likely a song about what I'm going through. And, speaking solely for me, its just as good as talking to somebody about it. Because I know someone else went through the exact same thing and they survived it. So I know without a doubt I'll survive too.
Music is definitely an important part of life.
musicluvinggirl
Killjoy
musicluvinggirl
July 30th, 2011 at 12:44am
I think some people just want to be dramatic and get attention by saying that a band saved their life. But there are soooooo many people who had music save their life for real. i believe music has saved my life before and is saving me to this day. Music is just one of those universal things that brings us all together and can be soooo powerful. And music can keep a person going and give them hope is dark times. So yeah i think music has a very big impact.
mar0o0ha
Bleeding on the Floor
mar0o0ha
August 30th, 2011 at 03:44pm
ok maybe music dont sve my Life but I think its really a good thing in my life yeah whenever i feel sooo bad i listen to mcr and get relax again and when im alone i always listen to music ....Music is Life thats my thought