Don't have an account? Create one!

Sexuality - Homosexual, Bi-Sexual, Bi-Curious, etc.

AuthorMessage
Jenny.
Jenny.
June 15th, 2008 at 06:56am
Complication:
Note my phrasing: COULD

If too many people decided, "Hey, everyone else is doing it... I'm gay!" We could have a population crisis on our hands. COULD.
Neutral
When did you say 'could'?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 15th, 2008 at 07:42am
^That's what I was wondering as well. Note how that person hasn't come back to the thread...
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
June 15th, 2008 at 08:09am
I don't see why anyone who's a mature adult would have anything against the sex of other persons partner IF you remove religion from the equation.

Having said this, i also support the right for same sex couples to adopt children. Or rather, the females are already having babies, some even pair up with male couples and have the children together. So I guess the main issue is that we don't think that gay men makes good fathers for some reason.
Maybe we just have a stereotype in our heads of the promiscuous glam gay guy?
I am a bit confused about this one. Why we seem to think that same sex couples don't make good parents. I would love to hear your opinions about it.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 15th, 2008 at 08:19am
Heybaberiba:
So I guess the main issue is that we don't think that gay men makes good fathers for some reason.
Maybe we just have a stereotype in our heads of the promiscuous glam gay guy?
I am a bit confused about this one. Why we seem to think that same sex couples don't make good parents. I would love to hear your opinions about it.

I personally don't think that's true, even though where I come from, only a few states grant same-sex adoption (Western Australia and Tasmania). Obviously men cannot become physically pregnant, which is why it would appear that there are more lesbian couples choosing to have children. For a gay couple to have a child biologically, first they would have to find a willing woman to carry it for them. Theoretically, lesbian couples don't have this problem, although I'm not going to say that is true for every lesbian couple.

I do wish that same sex adoption rights were amended though, in every state and territory.
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
June 15th, 2008 at 09:40am
You don't think its true that people seem to think that same sex couples don't make good parents?
If its true, that would be great! Smile
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 15th, 2008 at 09:53am
No, I don't think it's true. But that's just from personal experience - obviously there are going to be people out there who think homosexuals make terrible parents. But personally, everyone I know and have talked about this issue with don't seem to have a problem with homosexuals being parents.
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
June 15th, 2008 at 10:15am
Well, if its so, then question is, Why is it not a legal right everywhere? And why is there so many people working against it?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 15th, 2008 at 10:21am
Hmmmm... good question. I guess there are still a lot of people who believe that homosexuality is morally wrong, at least in this country. I'm trying so hard not to mention the 'R' word right now !! Haha. If you get my gist...

Anyway, I think some people need to just accept the fact that homosexuals are human beings as well, and that having children shouldn't just be for straight married couples. That is very restrictive... because even some straight couples who aren't married are unfavourable to adopt.
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
June 15th, 2008 at 10:31am
The argument I have heard, except for the whole "a child needs a mum and a dad" and "gays makes lousy parents with their lifestyle" arguments is that the society is not ready for it yet and that children of same sex couples would be too harassed.
The way I see it, the last part is up to us to change.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 15th, 2008 at 10:45am
^ That's a really good point, that society isn't ready for it. I think that gay couples should be able to adopt, and to me, the "a child needs a mom and dad" argument isn't valid, because there are a lot of single parents out there as well, and some kids, who, for whatever reason don't have a mom and dad, or one/both parents aren't available.
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
June 15th, 2008 at 01:03pm
I have to say, I'm pretty much in favor of homosexual couples being able to adopt. Obviously, similar standards need to apply for adoption -- that the parents are in a stable relationship, that they don't look likely to abuse the child in some way, all that. But I think it's better for a child to have people -- regardless of sexual orientation -- to care for and love it, than that the child spend the rest of its life getting shunted from one home to another or moving in and out of institutions. (Incidentally, I feel the same way about a lot of the racial idiocy that goes on -- in some places, white people aren't allowed to adopt black kids, and black people aren't allowed to adopt white kids and all that kind of stupidity...) What a child needs is a loving home, and if that can be provided by two people of the same sex, then I'm for it.

(Is this a tangent? I don't mean to perpetrate a threadjack, and if I have, I apologize.)
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
June 16th, 2008 at 06:01am
^ I very much agree. I'm very for homosexual rights, and I myself am bi. But I think, also, if a gay couple [say, of two men] are adopting, I think there should also be a woman that's a close friend to be there, and vice verce. Because, for the child, it might be easier [if the child is a girl] for her to talk to a women about women's things and everything like that. I don't think a couple should be denied adoption if they don't have this, but I just think that it would really help.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 16th, 2008 at 07:08am
I personally don't know whether a child should be brought up with both a mom and a dad. I was brought up by just my mom, and I know that I quite androginous in my actions, etc, but I don't know if I would have been like that anyway. I don't see it as a problem, that I've never been able to ask people about personal issues, cause I have always been able to ask my mom. I know it is different for girls, because they have worse things happen to their bodies as they grow up, but I think that as long as a guy is willing to talk about things like that, and buy what is neccessary, I don't think it matters. As long as both parents are willing to learn,a dn talk about opposite sex issues, then sure, let them adopt. I don't think it does any harm not having both a mom and a dad.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
June 17th, 2008 at 01:39am
^ I didn't say it would be too bad, I'm just saying that I think it would be better. I know I'd hate to grow up with only my dad, cos I aways talk to my mum about 'girly issues'. I agree that it really depends on the child, but I just think it might be awkward. I don't know.
And I'm sure there are plenty of people out there, like yourself who are perfectly fine with growing up with either gender Smile
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 17th, 2008 at 08:21am
i think obviously, it does help to have both genders, but i think isn't really a problem only having one or other.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
June 17th, 2008 at 09:37am
The point is, that your sexuality is something completely out of your hands, therefore, to judge people by it is really narrow-minded and cruel. What's worse for people of alternative sexualities is that it is fiendishly difficult to cover it up or temporarily change it. While a ginger-haired person who is getting picked on can dye their hair brown, a homosexual person can't put on an entirely different persona.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 17th, 2008 at 04:27pm
amyy.vengeance:
^ I very much agree. I'm very for homosexual rights, and I myself am bi. But I think, also, if a gay couple [say, of two men] are adopting, I think there should also be a woman that's a close friend to be there, and vice verce. Because, for the child, it might be easier [if the child is a girl] for her to talk to a women about women's things and everything like that. I don't think a couple should be denied adoption if they don't have this, but I just think that it would really help.
defedently, but how do you know that that person will always be there for the kid?

I'm bi, and I have a girlfreind who i love more then anything, if we do stay togrther till we're old enough to like live together and stuff, I want to be able to sdopt, and also marry her.
colin meloy.
Bulletproof Heart
colin meloy.
June 17th, 2008 at 10:48pm
Personally, if a person is respectful, then I won't have a problem with them. What goes on in their bedroom is their business and won't affect how I feel about them.
x-I'm Not Okay-x
Killjoy
x-I'm Not Okay-x
June 18th, 2008 at 11:44pm
i dont know if anyone has brought this up yet, but how does someone know if they are bi-sexual or not?
i mean.. sometimes it can be confusing...
becuz sometimes ppl can think they have an attraction to someone of the same sex and not be 110% sure.
and sometimes it can be hard ,if you are kind of sure,
to admit it simply for fear of being rejected...

could anyone help me clear up this confusion?
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
June 19th, 2008 at 07:18am
^ I understand what you mean. I'd been having that debate with myself for years now. I first found myself attracted to a girl in year 3! But I didn't think anything of it. By highschool, I realised I like both guys and girls in that way, but I was too scared to admit it.
It was only earlier this year, that I fully concluded - with a lot of time and thought put into it - that I'm bi. I've only told my good friends, and most of them are fine with it Smile And even tease me about the girl I like in a fun way.
I had a lot of trouble accepting it at first, cos I felt I would be judged, and as you said, the fear of rejection.
Now all I have to do is tell my parents...