Don't have an account? Create one!

Public School vs. Private School

AuthorMessage
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
June 13th, 2008 at 09:23am
I don't think the education [amount of quality of it] is any different in a public school than to a private school.
But I agree with the teacher thing. Private schools usually have smaller classes, and so it's easier for the teacher to spend more time with the students individually.
But then again, it really depends on each school.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
June 13th, 2008 at 03:28pm
amyy.vengeance:
I don't think the education [amount of quality of it] is any different in a public school than to a private school.
But I agree with the teacher thing. Private schools usually have smaller classes, and so it's easier for the teacher to spend more time with the students individually.
But then again, it really depends on each school.

As a teacher in a state school I think it depends more on the teacher themselves. Whatever school you are in private or public if the teacher is dedicated they will find the time to spend with the pupils. During lesson times I try my hardest to work with the pupils who request additional help and I am always willing to give up time to ensure the service they receive in my subject is second to none. This weekend I am in school with my kids rehearsing, and this is not unsual, its common practice for me to give up my own time at weekends and during holidays for them. In addition I rarely leave school until 6pm due to dedicating time to my pupils.

The point i'm making is that its all down to the enthusiasm and dedication of the teacher not the school specifically. A teachers enthusiasm is nothing to do with the state/private debate.
StJimmyisfrombattery
Killjoy
StJimmyisfrombattery
April 13th, 2012 at 02:07am
I personally homeschool...
demon dean
Always Born a Crime
demon dean
April 26th, 2012 at 02:45pm
I was raised in a public school setting all my life, as were most of my peers throughout high school. If/when I ever become a parent, I would personally enroll my child in a Private school. I'm not talking about a Catholic or Christian based school, but a school that requires interviews and a tuition payment during a students time attending, and recieving education. I have talked to many people in the education system (i.e several teachers who I was close with in high school) who have told me that the reason College was so different from high school is because you are PAYING for your education, and that the same principle settles into the Private school mold as well.
I feel that when it comes to paying for your education, you are more likely to recieve one that will be uninterrupted by unruly children who have no idea how to conduct themselves in a classroom setting. Of course, you will have your issues where ever you go, no matter what, but I believe that if you pay for your education, you would be more pleased with the end result.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
April 26th, 2012 at 05:18pm
I think that if you enroll your child into a private school early on, you should keep that child in private school for the rest of their scholastic lives. I went to a private school from when I was a toddler until the end of year five, and when I got into public school I struggled in a number of ways (socially, academically, etc...) whereas if I stayed in private school that wouldn't have happened. I'm in eleventh grade now and I'm still struggling tremendously, to the point where I may even have to repeat the level. Private schools teach differently than public schools, and I think that's one of the main reasons why I'm struggling so much in school. So basically, I think if you choose one route you should stick to that path until they graduate.
malibu.
In the Cannibal Glow
malibu.
April 27th, 2012 at 10:45am
Agreed with Brandy, I was the same.
I went to private school from pre-year one to the end of year eight.
Did my high school at public school and it was so horrible to adjust, socially and academically.
Adjusting socially is the hardest, imo. Getting used to the kids there and how they interact with each other.
Also the fact that it was the high school for my neighbourhood, so everyone knew each other from childhood
wheras I was the new kid. Trying to adjust took up most of my time at school, not paying attention in class.

Because I spent most of my school life in private, I definitley preffer that.
DrinkCoffee..Destroy
Fabulous Killjoy
DrinkCoffee..Destroy
March 13th, 2013 at 08:38am
I don't know much about public or private schools. I've went to an online school for the past six years, and I can tell anyone honestly that it's pure hell.
I'd choose public school over online school any day.
Public schools are better for kids in my opinion.
Because:
They work on social skills,
Face-to-face work techniques,
(In some schools) Available after-school programs for the students. (Tutoring, art skills, music skill, ect,.)
All kids need friends, and of course that may sound stupid and unreasonable, but it's true,
It teaches kids responsibility (For getting up very early and having themselves ready for the day, to keep up good hygiene, ect.)
And private schools, I just don't see where they are really needed, actually. Kind of a useless idea. What is it, for the parents who think public school isn't good enough for their children? I don't really know.
malibu.
In the Cannibal Glow
malibu.
March 16th, 2013 at 07:08am
With respect, it doesn't sound like you know much about private vs public school environments, KeepTheFaith-xofrnk.
What you're describing is what I would expect from a private school. Public schools don't give a shit.
Sure, they have sports after school and you can learn an instrument, but that's just something additional.
The fact that some public schools wear uniform, and that you have to be at classes by a certain time doesn't teach you anything
because they never enforce it. You aren't taught how to be presentable, how to be punctual, or how to act when you get an award in assembly (for example).
I learned a lot of manners at private school, learned how to be rude at public.

At private school, I learned how to tie a tie in preparation of my first day.
I was always well groomed, and we would have uniform inspections to make sure we were up to standard.
We had to wear our blazers to assembly and it was a very formal occasion, once or twice a week.
You weren't allowed to have ripped pockets or an un-ironed shirt. That kind of stuff is taken very seriously.
At public school, they just tell you off if they notice it, but don't do anything to fix it.
Private school is also very nurturing because they typically have less students per class
which means the teacher knows the students better, and can help them learn in a way that's best for the student.
Public school doesn't have that kind of attention, which again, is typically why as a whole, private school students are smarter
or there's a "smart" stereotype associated with private schools. Because they have a better learning environment.
I did horrible in public school because I knew the teacher didn't give a shit about me. I think I had one teacher who really cared.
BULLETPROOF MUSHROOM
Killjoy
BULLETPROOF MUSHROOM
September 2nd, 2013 at 12:23pm
i don't think there's really much difference Cool

I go to a private but like its reaaly crappy

they only care about grades not u