Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR blamed AGAIN!

AuthorMessage
Liek teh lulz!
Salute You in Your Grave
Liek teh lulz!
June 21st, 2008 at 02:24am
You know what, they should ban sites like that.
WayDown
Bleeding on the Floor
WayDown
June 21st, 2008 at 07:35pm
I can only imagine how hard this must be on MCR. Ugh. I can only imagine how many mindless idiots are trusting every lie the press hand-feeds them. This is going to be never-ending unless something more happens. This is so unfair. What is fair, though? The media is allowed to write whatever the crap they want without much restriction on things like this. Even if there were restrictions, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. I feel so bad for the kids dying, though. Their parents probably don't give a crap about them.
Kitty Clover
Jazz Hands
Kitty Clover
June 21st, 2008 at 09:44pm
^The thing is MCR have said that they don't get on the internet and look for that kind of stuff. I guess "look" isn't exactly the right word but I'm guessing they don't read articles on the internet. I don't feel the parents are the only ones to blame in cases like these though, because bullies cause alot of the abuse in the world and that could've had something to do with it. I haven't read the article because of it's been removed I'm guessing so I'm just going from what I've read on this thread so far. I do believe that they need to quit printing such idiotic articles though, because music is not to blame. In fact, music gives hope and happiness. ^_^
sinking feeling
Thinking Happy Thoughts
sinking feeling
June 22nd, 2008 at 12:30am
this is so immature of them.
thats all i have to say.
WayDown
Bleeding on the Floor
WayDown
June 22nd, 2008 at 01:01am
I didn't say the parents were completely to blame. I should've been more specific about it, though. My fault.
DemonLeaf
Bleeding on the Floor
DemonLeaf
June 22nd, 2008 at 02:51am
ugh... they need to get a fucking life >.<
Jenny.
Jenny.
June 22nd, 2008 at 06:58am
sinking feeling:

Happy Birthday!

/spam.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
June 22nd, 2008 at 11:20am
I told my parents about all of this. They're 67 and 72 years of age. It came up because we were discussing a group of small-town Massachussetts girls who made a pact to all try and get pregnant by the same homeless man and raise their babies communally (shrugs - I did say small-town here!)

I said "Yeah in England there have been a couple of 13 year old kids who committed suicide in a short time span, and the press is blaming the string of deaths on the 'emo suicide cult.' Apparently there are parents who believe that things like cutting and suicide are encouraged by bands like My Chem, when in actuality the websites that these kids most likely ran into are bully sites, and one kid took his life because he was being tormented by other kids online and at school."

The first thing out of their mouths? "And what's the matter with these parents? They see marks on their 13 year old daughter's arm and they DON'T get her help?" Then we discussed Timothy Leary. My Mom and I both agree that he too was blamed for the drug addiction of thousands of kids, and she made the point "Since when does one person saying something on television brainwash thousands? There are people on there every day saying NOT to do drugs as well - no one has been brainwashed by them. Where is the individual responsibility here?"

I am not here to blame grieving parents for the loss of their child, I am just relaying the knee-jerk reaction my own parents had to the story. We all have to be just a little bit more conscious of what's going on in our children's lives, who their influences really are and react swiftly to any sign of emotional trauma or illness. You can't prevent every kid who is determined to end their lives from doing so, but there is a decent percentage who can and want to be stopped, and scapegoating is not the answer.

Internet bullying has become such a serious issue that my son's school held a daylong sensitivity assembly on it, and I occasionally scour his myspace, facebook and IM logs for signs of it. I don't ever read his personal exchanges between himself and his buddies - I simply scan for threats; when I don't find any I move on and ignore what is written there.

It is laziness on the part of the media to simply chalk tragedies like this up to a "movement." People who are depressed tend to feel very much alone; they're hardly sharing their sorrows with the world here. As far the ignorance involved in quoting lyrics and shouting "See! They promote these thoughts in children!" I am going to hope that the British citizens of passable intelligence realize that this can't possibly be correct. For those susceptible to such thinking, intervention is in order, and I think a boycott is overdue here at this point. If I lived there, I'd organize one myself.
TheBlackParade92
Killjoy
TheBlackParade92
June 22nd, 2008 at 02:36pm
The daily mail is part of the media, the media want people want to buy there magazines or watch there shows or whatever. Pick a well known band like My Chemical Romance and stuff then yeah. It the people that believe what they read or hear and buys into media are the ones that well are either stupid or narrow minded or both.
And if the kid was being bullied stuff well that prob part of the reason and um where the parents.Not that it all there fault but still....... I dont think music could make you think that oh i gonna go and commit sucide.
Kitty Clover
Jazz Hands
Kitty Clover
June 22nd, 2008 at 03:41pm
xXxLaNd.hErMiExXx:
I didn't say the parents were completely to blame. I should've been more specific about it, though. My fault.

Oh ok I understand what you're saying. :>
Glitterlust
Salute You in Your Grave
Glitterlust
June 22nd, 2008 at 04:16pm
Deb:

I am not here to blame grieving parents for the loss of their child, I am just relaying the knee-jerk reaction my own parents had to the story. We all have to be just a little bit more conscious of what's going on in our children's lives, who their influences really are and react swiftly to any sign of emotional trauma or illness. You can't prevent every kid who is determined to end their lives from doing so, but there is a decent percentage who can and want to be stopped, and scapegoating is not the answer.

thats a good point.
i don't understand why no one thought to get her serious help.

i should have copied and pasted the article but it said she'd attempted taking her life something like 8 times. surely theres a point when someone should think 'we need to get her professional help, she's obviously having trouble coping'
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
June 22nd, 2008 at 05:16pm
*headdesk* Sheesh. How stupid can you get? Clearly by now we should accept that ALL Emo's believe they go to the Black Parade when they die. I mean it's been wrote so much now it MUST be true.

Asshat journalists, they need to be fired and their jobs given to open minded intelligent people that DO their research.
Kitty Clover
Jazz Hands
Kitty Clover
June 22nd, 2008 at 07:23pm
Deb:
I told my parents about all of this. They're 67 and 72 years of age. It came up because we were discussing a group of small-town Massachussetts girls who made a pact to all try and get pregnant by the same homeless man and raise their babies communally (shrugs - I did say small-town here!)

I said "Yeah in England there have been a couple of 13 year old kids who committed suicide in a short time span, and the press is blaming the string of deaths on the 'emo suicide cult.' Apparently there are parents who believe that things like cutting and suicide are encouraged by bands like My Chem, when in actuality the websites that these kids most likely ran into are bully sites, and one kid took his life because he was being tormented by other kids online and at school."

The first thing out of their mouths? "And what's the matter with these parents? They see marks on their 13 year old daughter's arm and they DON'T get her help?" Then we discussed Timothy Leary. My Mom and I both agree that he too was blamed for the drug addiction of thousands of kids, and she made the point "Since when does one person saying something on television brainwash thousands? There are people on there every day saying NOT to do drugs as well - no one has been brainwashed by them. Where is the individual responsibility here?"

Internet bullying has become such a serious issue that my son's school held a daylong sensitivity assembly on it, and I occasionally scour his myspace, facebook and IM logs for signs of it. I don't ever read his personal exchanges between himself and his buddies - I simply scan for threats; when I don't find any I move on and ignore what is written there.

It is laziness on the part of the media to simply chalk tragedies like this up to a "movement." People who are depressed tend to feel very much alone; they're hardly sharing their sorrows with the world here. As far the ignorance involved in quoting lyrics and shouting "See! They promote these thoughts in children!" I am going to hope that the British citizens of passable intelligence realize that this can't possibly be correct. For those susceptible to such thinking, intervention is in order, and I think a boycott is overdue here at this point. If I lived there, I'd organize one myself.

Amen Yes
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
June 23rd, 2008 at 01:51am
Nekotora:
Deb:

Amen Yes
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
June 24th, 2008 at 06:14am
yeah, coz everyone knows u don't die from peer pressure and bullying and social anxiety and emotional instability. you die because you listen to My Chemical Romance. yay.
tattooed lovers.
Motor Baby
tattooed lovers.
June 24th, 2008 at 04:16pm
Collision Kiss:
yeah, coz everyone knows u don't die from peer pressure and bullying and social anxiety and emotional instability. you die because you listen to My Chemical Romance. yay.

XD that makes it sound like a diease, or something. Dr. emo and the daily mail will probably think you aren't being sarcastic. they probably troll this site to see our reactions. "omg! guys, guys look she admitted it! lolz!"
They removed it though, or something. That's good. Hardly a respectable newspaper, I loved the bits by the article. "WHAT HITLER AND MARILYN MONROE WOULD LOOK LIKE IF THEY WERE ALIVE TODAY!" respected media, yeah.
lovely, though, dr. emo (I have no clue what else to call him/her) added it to her/his tragic examples page.
WayDown
Bleeding on the Floor
WayDown
June 24th, 2008 at 07:03pm
I just found an anti-daily mail site while I was browsing for the Daily Mail to see if there was anything new:

http://anti-dailymail.co.uk/index.html?0.0898368208537732

I haven't really checked it out, yet.
Kitty Clover
Jazz Hands
Kitty Clover
June 26th, 2008 at 05:30pm
xXxLaNd.hErMiExXx:
I just found an anti-daily mail site while I was browsing for the Daily Mail to see if there was anything new:

http://anti-dailymail.co.uk/index.html?0.0898368208537732

I haven't really checked it out, yet.

I'm curious, are they still running that site? It says that they would work on it on January 1st 2007. Neutral
William the Bloody
Killjoy
William the Bloody
July 5th, 2008 at 01:10am
Well shit. By the time the daily mail stops spewing pure B.S. from every orifice, my face will be red and raw from face palming so much. Damn daily mail. Disgust
Wisper of the Heart
Motor Baby
Wisper of the Heart
July 5th, 2008 at 11:26am
vampireteenager:
Well shit. By the time the daily mail stops spewing pure B.S. from every orifice, my face will be red and raw from face palming so much. Damn daily mail. Disgust
Clap exactlty!