School Uniform

AuthorMessage
Broken soul
Killjoy
Broken soul
June 23rd, 2008 at 04:57pm
whats the point to them??

they say 'its to make everyone equal and for everyone to look smart'

it really pisses me off because if its to make everyone equal there basically saying that if your not a sheep and follow the rest of the crowd your not equal to them (and i don't think they mean higher in equality either)

and we can be smart just because we are teenagers we aren't gonna show up in week old clothes with swear words scribbled all over it

plus it is outrageously hideous and extremely chavy

i actually vomit a little in the moring when i put it on!

urgh its just not good

--
MOD EDIT: I edited the description of the topic as it's rather biased and this is a discussion board.
- Zanna [Vanya Hargreeves]
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
June 23rd, 2008 at 06:17pm
it makes you vomit? Jeez is it really that bad? In my school uniform is to make things equal and to give an identity. The equality is nothing to do with wanting people to be sheep, it's to stop those who are under privileged feeling less adequate. If everyone is dressed the same it limits the class differences and potential bullying.
Firegarder
Joining The Black Parade
Firegarder
June 23rd, 2008 at 06:40pm
^ Exactly that.

Wearing a school uniform never bothered me that much, as fun as mufti days were. It meant that I could get dressed in the morning and go to school without the worry of people making comments over what I was wearing, and possibly being bullied for it. Mufti days I would spend hours agonising over what to wear that day, and you could see others checking out what people were wearing and giving those looks!

I dunno, maybe it's something you see the benefit of when you don't have to wear it anymore?
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
June 23rd, 2008 at 09:10pm
I go to a private school, and we have to wear a uniform. (Actually, every school over here wears uniform, whether it's a public school or not!)
I admit, I'm not too fussed about wearing it, and I love mufti days, but I think it would be so much better than having to choose what to wear every morning and worrying about what people think and everything. You just get up, put it on and bam! You're ready.
The whole 'everyone looks the same and looks smart', they say that at my school too. They're pretty strict with uniform policies. But, I think that's fair enough, cos it does look good when everyone looks the same. And the sheep thing, I don't think that's right, because they just want everyone to look the same so the uniform is identified and it's a lot easier for teachers on excursions! lol.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 24th, 2008 at 01:06am
I completely disagree (with broken soul). I prefer uniforms in schools (even though I don't attend one anymore) because it just looks neater. When I was in highschool I quite liked our uniform, especially the winter one. Obviously, people customise them slightly (i.e wearing black sneakers instead of proper school shoes).

You also said that "just because we are teenagers we aren't gonna show up in week old clothes with swear words scribbled all over it", but if you saw what some of the girls who went to my school wore on 'casual days', then you'd probably disagree too. Some of the casual clothes these girls would wear were hideous. One girl came to school with rope tied around her pants instead of an actual belt :\
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 24th, 2008 at 04:29am

I feel that uniforms artnt there to create sheep, youll find like people earlier mentioned that they do equal out the playing field. It totally breaks down the probability of a class system forming where there would be noticibly rich kids and the less fortunate.

not to mention school is supposed to mirror actual life to some degree, so wearing a uniform actually just prepares you for the possibility of having to wear one out in the real world.

if you ask me uniforms are a great idea.

normal's overrated.
In The Murder Scene
normal's overrated.
June 24th, 2008 at 04:52am
there are pors and cons
and for this i think the pros out way the cons
without uniform i would have probably gotten bullied more.
rainbow pieces.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
rainbow pieces.
June 24th, 2008 at 12:27pm
I love school uniforms, looking back at the clothes i used to wear, i would have got bullied a lot for them, but as i was wearing the same as all the 'cool' kids i didn't. It's a lot easier in the morning to wake up and put on a uniform aswell, as you don't have to decide what your gonna wear.

Also, how do you find your uniform 'chavy', i've finished school, but at my old one the uniform was anthing but.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
June 24th, 2008 at 03:57pm
And, what about on school trips? Uniforms mean the chances of you being recovered after getting lost are sky high in comparison with when you're not wearing uniform.
sir_pleb
Jazz Hands
sir_pleb
June 24th, 2008 at 06:19pm
I love school uniform. Mainly because I'm in sixth form.

As a sixth former I think of it as a status thing. The lower sixth had a new dress code this year which was a lot stricter then the previous ("no jeans or shorts"Wink. I personally wouldn't mind it, partly because it actually looks alright (no green blazer) and then I do actually have some pride in my school, or at least my year.

How can your uniform be chavvy?
FrankiieIero
Jazz Hands
FrankiieIero
June 24th, 2008 at 06:47pm
I had a hard time getting used to wearing uniforms at first. I didn't like them at all and I preferred wearing clothes that I wished to wear. After a while though, I started not to mind it. I got over them and wearing uniforms helped me get ready for school quicker.

Anyways, I think school uniforms aren't really bad. You cannot express yourself, that's true but after school you can wear whatever you want anyways.
Broken soul
Killjoy
Broken soul
June 25th, 2008 at 02:06pm
they look chavy by the fact is more sporty uni than practical

they completely wash out identity and i never mind being bullied because i just laugh at them. i get shit thrown at me and end up with bruises but i don't care as long as i'm being myself.

i don't care what other people would be wearing and i would get what was comfortable and clean and put that on its not rocket science and would take no ore than a couple of mins like uni would.

the poorer kids wouldn't get bullied everyone is poor at my school there isnt groups based on money.
Angie Dawn
Killjoy
Angie Dawn
June 25th, 2008 at 03:53pm
I would hate haveing to wear them...cuz, u can't express ur self!
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
June 25th, 2008 at 07:00pm
OK, keep in mind guys that this is a discussion thread, meant to be for debate on the topic, not for people to rant about their personal experiences.

Just to get back on topic and continue the debate.

"Broken Soul" said above that uniform "completely wash (sic) out identity".

Do you agree??

Personally. No I dont. I like the think that personality and behaviours are more important factors when highlighting the character of a person. Identity is a lot more than simply the clothes you wear. It would worry me if young people thought their identity was entirely based on the clothes they wore. Identity is all about who you are, not what you look like.
Jenny.
Jenny.
June 25th, 2008 at 07:13pm
Broken soul:
they look chavy by the fact is more sporty uni than practical

they completely wash out identity and i never mind being bullied because i just laugh at them. i get shit thrown at me and end up with bruises but i don't care as long as i'm being myself.

i don't care what other people would be wearing and i would get what was comfortable and clean and put that on its not rocket science and would take no ore than a couple of mins like uni would.

the poorer kids wouldn't get bullied everyone is poor at my school there isnt groups based on money.

Define 'chavy'. There's lots of different things that different people classify as 'chav'.
In my opinion, it doesn't 'wash out identity'. If everyone's identity was based around what they look like, this world would be full of very shallow people. I personally think it's a good idea; it reduces bullying.
Which brings us to your next point. You might not mind bullies, but most people do. I envy you to be able to just laugh at bullies, but 99% of people don't feel strong, brave or comfortable enough to do that.
Again; surely wearing your uniform for...what...7 hours a day doesn't make you 'not yourself'? Clothes aren't everything.
Well, it may not take more than a few minutes for you, but I assure you there [b]will[b] be nasty comments made about clothing; it's natural. Because of that, it could take over an hour for some people to choose their clothing.
Again; maybe everyone at your school is 'poor', but this discussion is in general, not just about your school.
I'd also like to add; this is school. Surely it doesn't matter what you're wearing, uniform or no uniform? It's all the same, we're just there to learn, not worry about our clothing or possibly being bullied for wearing different clothing.
P.S don't swear on the discussion board Smile
mer von d
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mer von d
June 25th, 2008 at 09:39pm
i think uniforms are actually a key tool to preventing bullying. i can just imagine the shit that would go down at school if we didn't have to wear uniforms, it's bad enough as it is with the "scene kids" and "emo kids" and whatever being bullied.
and i don't think it takes away your sense of individualism. i mean, you can still personalise your hair, makeup, books, bag, and whatever. and when you do get a chance to wear casual clothes to school it will make more of an impact because people don't see you in your casual clothes regularly. so i think uniforms are great Very Happy and if you're worried about looking "chavy" or "nerdy" or whatever, just think, everybody else is in the exact same situation.
Little Miss Mental
Bleeding on the Floor
Little Miss Mental
June 25th, 2008 at 10:16pm
i actually think school uniforms are cool and stuff...I'd love to get myself one, plus gerard wore pne in a video, so they're EXTRA cool!!!!
tattooed lovers.
Motor Baby
tattooed lovers.
June 28th, 2008 at 12:43am
I love school uniforms. My school doesn't have them though, so I guess I'm not that biased. They don't wipe out identity, in my opinion. You can still wear your own make-up, change your hair color and style, backpacks, book covers, and you can still act the same as you would without a uniform.
Yeah, you can still get bullied, but there is no clique whispering to each other, "Oh my god, Becky, look at her jeans, so last year!" because everyone is wearing the same thing. That's why I like them.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
June 28th, 2008 at 06:47am

^^
At my school you aren't allowed to wear lots of make-up, like if it's really obvious you have eye make-up on then you have to take it off. Earings must be studs or plain rings. One plain chain. One plain bracelet. etc.
Just pointing it out.

I am all for uniform.
I get bullied for what I wear outside of school, I don't want the same strange looks at school.
Teenagers shouldn't feel anxious coming to school because of the clothes they are wearing.

Now, to ask a new question.

What if the uniform is too expensive for the family to buy?
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
June 28th, 2008 at 07:51am
^ My school is like that too.
Except we can't have a bracelt, and the necklace can only be a religious one.