Don't have an account? Create one!

School Uniform

AuthorMessage
a thousand suns.
Always Born a Crime
a thousand suns.
May 11th, 2009 at 12:25pm

Personally I have no problem with school uniforms; I mean, it's so annoying having to pick out clothes every single day, don't you think? And also, I find that wearing uniform puts me in the right state of mind for school. I couldn't take anything seriously if I was sitting there in my jeans or whatever. Finally, what if some people are better off than others, and have 'cooler' clothes? That could really put down the self-esteem of someone who isn't quite so well off.
little birds.
Salute You in Your Grave
little birds.
May 11th, 2009 at 08:08pm
At my school, you wear uniform until you're year 12 (around age 16, the fourth year of high school).
I didn't like wearing uniform, because it got too hot in summer, and too cold in winter, but I can see why we had to wear it. It gives the school an identity, and encourages the feeling of the school being a sort of 'team'.
Also, from the experience of mufti days, I know that among the younger kids, what you wear is vital to your popularity, so I think uniforms are good in the sense that they help to make everyone feel equal.

I found that by the end of year 11, what you wore on mufti days didn't seem to matter so much, as most of us had already gotten to know each other as people. The 'popular' and 'unpopular' kids were well defined by this point, and what you wore didn't change this.
In year 12, we are treated with more respect from teachers and other students, and are seen as mature individuals. Being allowed to wear mufti is one of the privileges of being a senior. It works well and, so far, I haven't seen any of the problems that there were with mufti days when we were younger.

So I think that uniforms are a good idea, up to a certain age, when the students are more mature and can be trusted to wear mufti without it having a negative impact on how they behave at school.
Kailey_kills
Killjoy
Kailey_kills
May 12th, 2009 at 08:29pm
i have uniform at school i dont like them they took away my freedom 2 express myself.grrrrr....
now i just blend in with my polos and dress pants.i just have options 4 shirt color..
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
May 13th, 2009 at 07:30am
a little bit longer.:

Personally I have no problem with school uniforms; I mean, it's so annoying having to pick out clothes every single day, don't you think? And also, I find that wearing uniform puts me in the right state of mind for school. I couldn't take anything seriously if I was sitting there in my jeans or whatever. Finally, what if some people are better off than others, and have 'cooler' clothes? That could really put down the self-esteem of someone who isn't quite so well off.

Yeah, I agree. I don't really get what's the big deal about them, you wear them for less than half a day for five days a week. Does it really matter that much?

Plus I have a tendency to just throw on whatever clothes I can find, so I'm pretty glad we have school uniform to be honest. I'd be classed as a right weirdo if we didn't have uniform.

Plus, do you really want to wear expensive, decent clothes you'd wear out to school? I have friends who spend, oh, I don't know, £30-£40 for a t-shirt -- and it wouldn't even stay decent if they wore it to school everyday. I don't know about anyone else's school, but our school is filthy. Laughing
iheartthrobsy
Killjoy
iheartthrobsy
June 18th, 2009 at 02:44am
my school doesn't even let you have more than one colour in your hair! i think it's all about their need for control and authority because whenever i've asked why we have this rule you get a different answer every time, it's like they're not doing it for a proper reason, they just want control. teachers shouldn't have the power to take away you're individuality! i've been hasselled over and over about wearing makeup (when all i wear is foundation to school) it's really important to me and for my confidence that sounds stupid but yeah, i kept getting detentions and eventually they just stopped hasselling me, i hoped they realised how ridiculous their arguement was. thats small town catholic schools for you.
weirdo102
Fabulous Killjoy
weirdo102
June 18th, 2009 at 12:13pm
I think uniforms are cool. but our school doesn't have them. But they have ups and downs on what i've heard. The up is you know what to wear to school and you don't have to fuss. The down is probably looking like everybody else. But I think that if you can add a little 'shazam!' to them that'd be pretty cool.
NeverBeenOkayTrustMe
Killjoy
NeverBeenOkayTrustMe
June 20th, 2009 at 08:17am
I go to a Catholic school, and we have a HIDEOUS uniform, and I hate it, so I keep getting in trouble for wearing wristbands, or gloves and shit...
bellamurte
Killjoy
bellamurte
June 23rd, 2009 at 07:35am
Well my old school uniform -I'm no longer in compulsory education - was pretty naff. And the school never paid too much attention to it, so kids would turn up in jeans and tracksuit bottoms. My brother on the other hand goes to a blazer shirt and tie school. His uniform was quite expensive and is well fitted, and he always looks really smart. Equally his school is well looked after whereas mine had graffiti up the walls and holes in the ceiling. -It still baffles me how the council could keep it up!- Matthew's school sets the standard with a uniform that makes the students feel posh and important and gives them an environment to work in that is well looked after. So in return he behaves well and works hard, my school looked more like a reck site and so the students frankly didn't give a shit.
I remember them telling us they were changing the uniform and everyone got excited thinking they were going to give us ties. We were gutted when they showed us fleece hoodies. Sad
chainsaws cascading.
In The Murder Scene
chainsaws cascading.
June 23rd, 2009 at 12:23pm
i think school uniforms are stupid
they DO take away from the individuality of a young person.
i understand that maybe they take away from gang violence and all, they may be necessary, but that's really only if you have an actual problem with that in your school
but, all private and catholic schools pretty much have to wear uniforms
i don't think it's entirely necessary
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 23rd, 2009 at 04:46pm
^ I agree to an extent.
and while some people say that having uniforms takes away the challenge of choosing what to wear in the morning, really, you can just throw anything on. But personally, I like choosing what to wear, and getting dressed in the morning.
And for the issue of non-uniform clothes costing too much, well, don't uniforms cost a good bit of money too?
I think uniforms and the decision of whether or not to have one should be decided by the school with imput from the students. But it's a cultural issue in some places; for example, I'm pretty sure Britain and areas around it have a much higher percentage of schools that require uniforms compared to the United States, so the students there have an expectation and a different view of uniforms.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 23rd, 2009 at 06:58pm
And for the issue of non-uniform clothes costing too much, well, don't uniforms cost a good bit of money too?

Hmm, the thing is, you need alot of clothes to wear each day. Yet with uniform you only need to buy one or two and they last you a year.

So yeah, they may cost a fair amount of money, but when you take into account just how many clothes you would need to buy its cheaper to get a uniform.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
June 23rd, 2009 at 07:20pm
I like the fact that my school has uniforms. For one it makes getting ready for school a lot easier because I dont have to spend time picking out an outfit. Another thing is then I dont have to spend money on tons and tons of clothing because during the school year I only get to wear them on weekends. My private school is very diverse in that there are some kids who are mega-rich and can afford everything, and there are other kids who's families spend most of their money on tuition and so they cant being buying tons of clothing for their kids, so its nice that you cant walk into our school and be like "Oh, that kids rich, and that kids poor". It gives us a chance to get to know eachother without cliques or judging people based on their outfit.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 23rd, 2009 at 10:46pm
questionable content:
^ I agree to an extent.
and while some people say that having uniforms takes away the challenge of choosing what to wear in the morning, really, you can just throw anything on. But personally, I like choosing what to wear, and getting dressed in the morning.
I think uniforms and the decision of whether or not to have one should be decided by the school with imput from the students. But it's a cultural issue in some places; for example, I'm pretty sure Britain and areas around it have a much higher percentage of schools that require uniforms compared to the United States, so the students there have an expectation and a different view of uniforms.

You still get to choose what you wear, you only have to wear a uniform at school.
Uniforms have definitely cut my getting ready time in half. A lot of people spend forever trying to decide what to wear. I like not having to think about it and just throwing on the uniform clothes.
As far as cost every school with uniforms that I know of offers financial aid to families that can't afford the uniform. Also, I used to buy new clothes every fall for school to try and keep up with the changing fashions, but now I don't have to do that. I don't need to waste my money buying a whole new wardrobe every year. I've actually saved a lot of money because of it.
When my school decided to go to uniforms there were opportunities for students to voice their opinions, most people didn't go, they sat around and complained about the prospect of a uniform and then didn't do anything about it. The people that did go had mostly stupid reasons for being against uniforms, like the whole "freedom of expression" thing. If your clothes are the only way you express yourself, then you are a very very shallow person. Instead of relying on clothes for your identity why not try getting a personality! They come in handy.
I think in the end, it really doesn't matter. It's just a uniform, you're not going to die from wearing one, your soul will not be sucked into a dark abyss and never return. It's not that big a deal. Also I think uniforms do make a school look better. I feel like my school isn't quite so ghetto now that we have uniforms.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 24th, 2009 at 01:30pm
^ But then again, people don't have to spend forever choosing outfits either. It's really their choice on what to wear and how much time to spend picking out an outfit. As for buying new clothes, like you said, you don't wear uniforms all the time, so you would definitely have some other clothes that you could wear to places like the mall, and also to school. Besides, having a new wardrobe every year really isn't necessary either.

Freedom of expression is not just in clothes, but clothes are one of the most visual, vibrant, apparent ways of expressing yourself. It's like an artist expressing him or herself through their art; but instead, it's a person expressing themselves through what they put on their body.

But you're right. It is just a uniform, that you wear for 1/8th of your time (180/365 days is in school, school is 6/24 hours). While I know that you support uniforms and think they make a school more organized, together, and focused on ideas and individuals rather than their individual appearances and differences, in my school, I would rather not have a uniform because I think my school is all of those things, and the freedom to express myself through clothing is one that I am very appreciative of.
Buried Alive
Killjoy
Buried Alive
May 2nd, 2011 at 09:05pm
Since I live in fucking Norway we don't have schooluniforms. Haha, I wish I had. It seems so much easier to just put on the uniform instead of finding a goodlooking outfit. But I guess my thoughts would be different if I wore schooluniform daily.
Even if I don't wear uniform, I can't see why you make such a big deal of it. It's just.. clothes.
What I can understand is if you get mad when you can't wear necklaces and braclets. It's hard to imagine, 'cause here in Norway everyone can were what they want to.
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
May 5th, 2011 at 04:28pm
I always used to go on about how I hated my uniform and how annoying it was. But when I left my school, I missed it!
It was great to just get up and put your clothes on without thought, rather than running around looking for other clothes.
I can totally see why some people would get annoyed by it. I always got moaned at for not having my shirt tucked in, tie the wrong length etc.
I personally don't think that matters, as long as you're there, learning, it shouldn't be a problem.
And I always wore badges, bracelets, necklaces etc. I guess it makes your uniform individual and different from others.
To be honest, I only wore them because I always have!
Anetunisha
Killjoy
Anetunisha
May 6th, 2011 at 10:30am
My school has t shirts that we have to wear I hate it. I don't get the point in it. Next year we have to wear stupid polos ughh!
tay jardine;
Salute You in Your Grave
tay jardine;
May 8th, 2011 at 07:36pm
my shool doesn't have uniforms, but i think it might be easier if we did. at my school, a lot of people can get in trouble for wearing shirts that are considered inappropriate, but it wouldn't be a problem if we had uniforms. i've never had to go to a school with uniforms though, so if i did, i might have a different opinion
yoseob.
Bleeding on the Floor
yoseob.
May 15th, 2011 at 04:57am
in australia, you have to wear a uniform, whether public or private. i have no problem at all with uniforms, as it limits bullying. girls, rather than guys, bully people over the things that they wear, and going to school with no uniform would be the same - "weaker" girls would be harrassed that they didn't have designer jeans or expensive shirts. i'm all for uniform.
Wolly-san
Fabulous Killjoy
Wolly-san
May 20th, 2011 at 07:04am
Yeah, I think that too, but I just wish that they would make them more confortable. Blazors are so annoying and when you put your hand up for help your blazor wont let your hand go up high enough.