Don't have an account? Create one!

School Uniform

AuthorMessage
Hatsune Miku
Killjoy
Hatsune Miku
May 21st, 2011 at 11:30pm
i think school uniforms are stupid and, like said before take away induviduality Smiley
Wolly-san
Fabulous Killjoy
Wolly-san
May 24th, 2011 at 08:19am
I know they take individuality away, but they keep the school from maybe bullying and other bad things. I think School Uniforms are good, but maybe we could change small parts of it so we stand out, but we also look like we come from the same school.
summertime
Fabulous Killjoy
summertime
June 3rd, 2011 at 04:44am
I like having a uniform because it means I don't have to spend as much on clothes or spend ages getting ready in the morning. And everyone sort of keeps their individuality through their bags, jewellery, shoes etc. Although I think it's stupid that my school won't let you wear scarves/hats/gloves even in winter (and the heating system fails). Oh, and I always get told off for my skirt being too short. But I never listen ;D
Harper4884
Killjoy
Harper4884
June 9th, 2011 at 12:48pm
Personally I would rather not have a school uniform but I'm not going to let it ruin my life or "steal my indivuality" because clothing is just a small part of your self expression. Without the uniforms people can focus more on your personality than your outer appearance. It tears down alot of walls between social gaps.
KCfriedchicken86
Jazz Hands
KCfriedchicken86
June 9th, 2011 at 06:21pm
The point is to make them feel more in control, they can make stupid reasons like "it will stop gangs from forming" My school actually said that. Plus all it does is make everyone mad.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
June 14th, 2011 at 03:57am
KCfriedchicken:
The point is to make them feel more in control, they can make stupid reasons like "it will stop gangs from forming" My school actually said that. Plus all it does is make everyone mad.
Honestly, no, it's not. It's not done to 'make them feel more in control'. There are all kinds of rules they could enforce if they wanted to feel that power. There are many good reasons for uniform, the first three that come to mind are: 1. It's less obvious who has wealth within the school. If everyone looks the same, you cannot tell how much that person can afford. This, therefore, stops bullying or judgemental remarks. 2. People tend to behave more when in a uniform. Sadly, it's true. Especially people in younger years tend to be easily distracted or excitable when in their own clothes as there is a lack of formality to them, causing them to want to do casual activities. 3. Believe it or not, it actually does look smarter. When dressed in a uniform, you look like a better representative of your school which causes the school to look more professional.

Maybe this is almost a culture thing. Sorry, I didn't see where you were from but a lot of people who say it takes 'away their freedom of expression' and 'makes everyone mad' are from America. In the UK, I've not known it to be such a big deal. Where I'm from, it's rare if a school do not have a uniform due to the lack of professionalism it implies. And, honestly, I've never heard anyone really care here.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
June 14th, 2011 at 04:05am
XxkilljoyxX:
i think school uniforms are stupid and, like said before take away induviduality Smiley
I hate to double post but this point really annoys me. How does it take away your individuality? Are you not a person in your own right or are you merely clothes? Clothes are just that, clothes. If you have a personality, everyone could be dressed in a chicken suit and you'd still be showing who you really are.
Bonnie Doom
Killjoy
Bonnie Doom
June 14th, 2011 at 10:12pm
I think it's stupid. I put some buttons on my uniform and got detention! But still, it makes everyone the same and that's good and bad. Reason it's good because it doesn't make you get bullied about your MCR tees, and and takes less time to get ready. Reason it's bad cus' you have no way of seeing who's mean or not, and plus you can't express your self.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
June 15th, 2011 at 05:45pm
Bonnie Doom:
Reason it's bad cus' you have no way of seeing who's mean or not.
I don't understand the connection between not knowing whether someone is 'mean' and uniform.
misa misa.
Shotgun Sinner
misa misa.
June 17th, 2011 at 11:42pm
doctor.:
1. It's less obvious who has wealth within the school. If everyone looks the same, you cannot tell how much that person can afford. This, therefore, stops bullying or judgemental remarks. [/size]

I get the point you were trying to make here and it is said a lot, but I am not actually convinced that uniforms help to reduce bullying in anyway. While they can make it less obvious who has money and who doesn't i think usually people know that anyone because it can be seen through a lot of other things. e.g. how you get to school, bus, train, car, what type of car. I am not sure how strict a school uniform we are talking about here but in Australia most of the private schools don't have any regulations about schoolbags so that is another obvious way.
Besides this, I think students get bullied for a lot of other reasons and it would take a lot more than a school uniform to prevent that.
That being said at my school we didn't have school uniform but 'colour code' so you had to dress in certain school colours but apart from that you could wear pretty much anything (as long as it wasn't really revealing etc.) and I do remember being bullied for wearing the same thing a lot. Not because we didn't have money but just because i was an awkward daggy teen. School uniform might have changed that, but I am pretty sure I would have been bullied by that group of girls anyway.
House_Of_Wolves0723
Killjoy
House_Of_Wolves0723
August 25th, 2011 at 12:41am
I went to a school with uniforms for 9 years. I think it was absolutely pointless and didn't change the way anyone acted or treated one-another. People bully whether or not you're wearing the same thing. They bullied you for your hair or the way you acted, they bullied you for not having all the cool toys. It was just ridiculous making you spend so much money on a uniform every year when it didn't help anything.
Especially since my principle had this weird thing with socks. If your socks were under your ankles then you almost immediately got a detention. When we had no uniform days, we weren't allowed to wear black socks. It was weird, man.
KillJoy96
Killjoy
KillJoy96
September 22nd, 2011 at 05:07pm
i wear a uniform at my school. but it's rlly not a big deal because i find other ways to express myself like with my socks (when i wear the pants i wear mismatched neon socks), my nail polish, jewlery, and in my writing. i just think school's go overboard when you can't even wear the jewlery you want. as long as it's not offensive you know. my school is fairly lacks with the uniform so it's all good Smile
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
October 10th, 2011 at 10:30pm
it would certianly help in the morning when you're trying to find something to wear
MCRmusicmonster
Really Not Okay
MCRmusicmonster
April 23rd, 2012 at 01:14pm
OK, I understand and respect the fact that some people like school uniforms. I for one, don't. I have been to 3 different high schools now and they have all been public schools. The one that I am in now is an alternative high school and they are thinking about getting uniforms next year. Even though the action won't affect me because I will have graduated, I still am voting no.
I ( like many of you probably) don't like the sagging pants, the nagging teachers over dress code, and the worrying over what to wear tot school the next day.
But I feel with uniforms that some parts of me will be misunderstood.
I like to dress in men's clothing, even though I identify as female. I would not feel conftonbal in a public setting in any type of woman's clothing. It would be humiliating to me, not to mention I could not even focus on learning.
I am not saying this just for me, but for all of the other people out there like me that identify in ways that my not be most popular in society.
I don't think that the schools think about kids like me and other kids like trans, and gender-queer kids.
I now that some schools may have identified this and may have come up with some sort of a common ground.

It's just that whenever I think of schools doing something like that, this is all i think of.
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
May 5th, 2012 at 05:50am
I personally think school uniforms are great. This is coming from someone who went to a school where there was no uniform.

As I was growing up, my parents didn't have a lot of money. This was made very obvious by the clothing I wore - the clothes I wore were okay, but they couldn't afford name brands. By "name brands" I don't mean designer items, I mean high street clothes shops - they simply couldn't afford to shop there, and as such I wore clothes from cheap catalogues.

This meant that I was the target of bullies for my entire time at secondary school, from year 8 to year 13 (age 12 to age 18 ). Had there been a school uniform, this could have been avoided. Such bullying did not cause on its own, but highly contributed to, the depression and suicidal thoughts I suffered from between the ages of 16 and 18.

The school's reasoning behind the no-uniform policy was that it "created a friendly atmosphere" and, along with the calling-teachers-by-their-first-names policy, was supposed to "make teachers more approachable". I feel the result was the opposite - it increased alienation of certain students and led certasin trouble-makers to feel that school was nothing more than one long social event.

Just my two pennies' worth.
angelofthemissed
Fabulous Killjoy
angelofthemissed
June 18th, 2012 at 05:53pm
I have mixed feelings about them. Chicks can be sluts sometimes at school with their clothing, and boys just the same. But I think sometimes uniforms dampen noticeable individuality with kids, and I think it makes students more likely to rebel since they have their choice of clothing taken away from them. You can always show what kind of person you are if you do have a uniform by your hair or makeup or your jewelry if you can, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.