Don't have an account? Create one!

School Uniform

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 17th, 2008 at 08:22am
psychochip:
I just think that by having and enforcing a uniform, it will keep girls from dressing in promiscious clothing. And maybe it's the dreamer in me, but maybe a girl who is seen as a *girl* every day and not a sex object would have more self-esteem and hold herself to a higher standard. And I think boys, without the constant, in-your-face sexuality that some of the girls exude when allowed to dress however they want, might turn some of their thinking to seeing them as equals, rather than sex objects.

I disagree. Because a lot of the time, it won't matter what a woman is wearing, she may still be seen as a sex object. A girl who is wearing jeans and a t-shirt can be seen as a sex object, and most people would hardly say that is promiscuous dressing. It's the same for uniforms. We would have men drive past our school at lunchtime and beep their horns and make sexually driven remarks to us purely because we were an all-girls school (and we had a uniform). I don't think promiscuity has anything to do with whether or not the person wears a uniform, because I would suggest most of the promiscuity would happen outside of school grounds where a school uniform is non-existent.
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
July 18th, 2008 at 08:53am
Besides, you get girls who technically wear the school uniform, just that their skirts barely skim their thighs and their shirts are about two sizes too small. School uniform could not and would not help stop rapes occurring. In fact, sometimes I find it's more likely, because there are perverts out there who like little schoolgirls.

I've got a uniform, it's not bad. I'm glad it's just black and white, because I would seriously hate having to wear some of the uniform other schools have. I've looked at school and not gone because the uniform was hideous, so I agree it makes a difference. It makes the school seem more presentable in a way, and on school trips, it's easy to identify people by the uniform so they don't get lost.
Broken soul
Killjoy
Broken soul
July 18th, 2008 at 12:19pm
im not obsessed with how i look but most of the time im really shy so its easy for me to show how i feel through my clothes

im not saying there really bad but i just rely hate them because there is no expression allowed.

id be okay if they loosned up or gave us a dress code so we still look smart but id just prefer it if they let us wear our blak skinnys so we dont have to hide from teachers or even 1 necklace just to show a little of of me.

the uniform its self is quite ugly but i dont care all i want is a little freedom of choice but because wear dumb studants the teachers dont listen and that pisses me off and makes me hate my school and the uniform more than i relly should.

all i ask is a little bit not much a little of feedom will do

but what i dont understand is why is that sooooo much to ask?

its just a necklace or earing or even a fucking belt!

but no matter hoe many times we try no one listens and i guess it annoys me
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
July 18th, 2008 at 02:19pm
Well, I have attempted to put my opinion on this matter out there and it seems that either I'm not explaining myself well, or there is not a way to sway your opinions on the issue, so we are going to have to agree to disagree, and that's okay.

Whether it is my age, my own high-school experiences, or the constant battle every day at my work to instill self-confidence in young girls to encourage them to dress and act well, I will forever believe that uniforms are in a school's best interest.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 18th, 2008 at 03:11pm
Broken soul:

You're not allowed to wear belts? How do you keep your pants up?
What type of earrings are you talking about? Normal pierced lobes or some other part of your ear?
It's really not that bad to have a uniform. If you hate it so much you and some other students should talk to your school administrators (I don't mean just saying that 'It is sooo unfair".) and explain why you dislike the uniform. If it really is ugly then they might change it to something that looks nicer or they might allow you on day a month to dress as you wish. If it really is so horrible that you can't stand it though, switch schools. Go somewhere where there is no uniform.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 18th, 2008 at 05:27pm

i think by wearing uniforms the school only has the pupils best interests at heart. It might seem tough but the uniforms are there to protect children, for example, if i child is lost it would be far more easier to spot them in the relative schools uniform. Also, there's no doubt that some poorer kids would be severely discriminated against. Children are mean.
Jenny.
Jenny.
July 19th, 2008 at 08:52am
Broken soul:

Don't swear on the discussion board, please.
And again, I'm afraid I disagree. I never thought I'd say this, but school is a place of learning, and in my opinion it doesn't matter whether you're in school uniform or not, you can still express yourself in your writing etc.

I've asked about jewellery, and it's a health hazard. Most schools DO allowed belts - just probably not the ones you have in mind, such as studded belts. You're allowed plain belts if they're necessary.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 19th, 2008 at 09:33am
Broken soul:
id be okay if they loosned up or gave us a dress code so we still look smart but id just prefer it if they let us wear our blak skinnys so we dont have to hide from teachers or even 1 necklace just to show a little of of me.

They have given you a dress code to "look smart". It's called a school uniform. Shifty2

I don't see the big deal. It's just school. It's five days a week. Ask your parents to move you to a different school if it's so outrageously bad.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 19th, 2008 at 01:23pm
Mindfuck:

I don't see the big deal. It's just school. It's five days a week. Ask your parents to move you to a different school if it's so outrageously bad.
[/size][/font]

I Agree.

Some of my family go to a religious school were the boys arn't allowed to wear pants, only shorts. Even if it was snowing.

if you dont like there rules, move.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 19th, 2008 at 01:45pm
Alan Carr:

Some of my family go to a religious school were the boys arn't allowed to wear pants, only shorts. Even if it was snowing.

What's the reasoning behind that? To me, it doesn't make sense at all.
CoNfUsEd13
Killjoy
CoNfUsEd13
July 19th, 2008 at 03:57pm
i think at my school why they have uniforms is 1 because its a christan school and they dont want people to dress like sluts and 2 is they want us to look the same to show school spirt and last but not least 3 there stupids. I HATE MY UNIFORM! Evil or Very Mad
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 19th, 2008 at 08:58pm
CoNfUsEd13:
i think at my school why they have uniforms is 1 because its a christan school and they dont want people to dress like sluts and 2 is they want us to look the same to show school spirt and last but not least 3 there stupids. I HATE MY UNIFORM! Evil or Very Mad

Your school being a christian school does not have anything to do with the administration not wanting girls to dress inappropriately. Schools with out uniforms usually have a dress code that does not allow extremely short skirts/shorts and extremely low cut tops.
Looks the same may not entail school spirit unless your uniform consists of clothing with the school colors or logo.
Their are positives to looking the same, no one can discriminate against you based on your clothing. Also (if the school provides the clothes for them) it really helps out those who don't have much money.
There's a kid at my school who had three shirts and one pair of jeans because his family couldn't afford to buy him more clothes than that. When they enforced a strict dress code/uniform at my school, the supplied him and others in that situation with the right clothing.
A uniform has nothing to do with the intelligence level of your school's administration/school board. It is actually an attempt to make the school and it's students look smarter and more appealing so that more parents will want to send their children their.
If you hate it so much change schools.
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
July 20th, 2008 at 12:08am
My school, and pretty much all schools in Britain if I'm correct, enforce uniforme. I don't really have a problem with it, besides which I can where a suit in sixth form.

I think the main reasons schools have uniforme though, are because:
a) Teachers think it has the intention to cut down on labelling/ people being bullied for having different tastes in clothes or for not having the 'latest trends' etc although this varies from school to school.

b) Making everyone where the same thing helps differentiate between pupils and adults.

c) Some schools, like mine, are just traditional like that and some want their pupils to look all smart and what not.

It's not that bad to be honest. People usually customize their uniforme anyway. I remember when I had to wear it, all the 'cool girls' wore tiny skirts with pleats, shirts untucked, half way unbuttoned and tiny pumps and all that, while the 'goths' had longer skirts and huge kicker's.

But whatever, who needs to bother about not wearing the same thing onc a week anyway?

Jenny.
Jenny.
July 20th, 2008 at 06:49am
Broken soul:

im not saying there really bad
That's just self contradictory.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
July 20th, 2008 at 10:01am
Broken soul:

id be okay if they loosned up or gave us a dress code so we still look smart but id just prefer it if they let us wear our blak skinnys so we dont have to hide from teachers or even 1 necklace just to show a little of of me.all i ask is a little bit not much a little of feedom will do but what i dont understand is why is that sooooo much to ask? its just a necklace or earing or even a ******* belt! but no matter hoe many times we try no one listens and i guess it annoys me

At my school, only 11th and 12th Grade can wear their own clothes, and after that you leave.

Our uniform policy is very strict. If you don't wear it correctly you either get community service, have to wear replacement uniform, or you get sent home. Not wearing the uniform doesn't mean wearing 'our blak skinnys', or '1 necklace', it means having your shirt untucked, having you top button undone, not wearing your blazer, or you are wearing the wrong shoes (ie trainers, sneakers, converse, boots, shoes with colored stitching/laces). I have also been told that my pants are too low, and I must pull them up, otherwise 'The female students may get excited by the view of the small of your back'. I don't wear them particularly low, on my hips I guess, and occasionally, the waistband of my boxers pokes out. The girls are expected to wear their trousers/skirts around their waists.

They even enforce these rules on the way too and from the school. It is predominantly because the school has a certain reputation, and image that it has to uphold, and smart looking students are part of that image. The short skirt rule is because a short skirt isn't practicle in a school environment, and jeans don't look as smart as pants.We also have a PE uniform, (black soccer shorts/ blue and yellow-orange tracksuit, and white teeshirt, all with the school logo). It is a funny shape, because everything is unisex, but it is practical, and is in place to make sure you don't get injured, or 'exposed'.
Jenny.
Jenny.
July 20th, 2008 at 11:10am
ChipmunkOnKetamine:
We have the exact same thing. Smile
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 20th, 2008 at 01:46pm
Eponine:
Alan Carr:

What's the reasoning behind that? To me, it doesn't make sense at all.

Tbh I dont have any idea.

Thats just the rules, people have complained and they simply say its the rules and people can move if they dont like them.
demon dean
Always Born a Crime
demon dean
July 20th, 2008 at 02:05pm
at my school, they're thinking about uniforms.
but the thing is, its a public school. and we would have to pay for the uniforms, as in our parents. what if we cant afford them? then what, are they not going to let us into school?
we have been able to wear what we want with some type of dress code that has never been reinforced since ive started school, and now they decide to make an issue?
i find it kind of rediculous. not with catholic and private schools. but with public schools that have uniforms. they cant tell you what to wear when its your parents money sending you there.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 20th, 2008 at 07:34pm
vengeance.:
but the thing is, its a public school. and we would have to pay for the uniforms, as in our parents. what if we cant afford them? then what, are they not going to let us into school?
we have been able to wear what we want with some type of dress code that has never been reinforced since ive started school, and now they decide to make an issue?
i find it kind of rediculous. not with catholic and private schools. but with public schools that have uniforms. they cant tell you what to wear when its your parents money sending you there.

I don't know where you're from, but where I'm from uniforms are mandatory in public schools (also private). If you are hard of money, then the school (my school anyway) would help the family or person out so they weren't completely broke. In my opinion, I think it's great that public schools here also have a uniform. It makes the school look like it has credibility and integrity.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 20th, 2008 at 11:06pm
vengeance.:

That's exactly what happened at my school! The school board said that they would help families who did not have much money but they never did.
I spent days driving all over trying to find clothing that was acceptable and wasted so much money in gas, it was unbelievable.
Plus the fact that the enforcement of the uniform changes from day to day. One day you're allowed to have a green undershirt they next day your not.
The superintendent would change is mind and allow things like leggings and boots, but then after about two and a half weeks our principal would decide he didn't like that and would suspend anyone wearing those clothing items.
It's gotten better, but it's been a rough road, I think all the problems that the uniform was supposed to 'solve' could have been fixed by enforcing the dress code we had.
We look a lot nicer than we did but you still see a lot of girls with really low tops and guys with pants around their ankles, so nothing much has really changed.

I like the idea of uniforms and some schools have really nice ones, but my school system is doing a really poor job with it.