Don't have an account? Create one!

School Uniform

AuthorMessage
Bellacide
Awake and Unafraid
Bellacide
September 1st, 2008 at 03:37pm
The school district that I go to requires solid color polo shirts and khaki or black pants only for middle school, while Elementary and High school can have free dress code.

Everyone complained from grade 6 to 8 about how ugly polo shirts were. I realized by 8th grade that most jobs won't have 'free dress code'. I remember getting offered a one-night job as a hostess at a restarunt close to my house, and I would have had to wear plain black pants and a white polo.

it shows to me that the school district was just giving us a taste of the real world.
The music.
Salute You in Your Grave
The music.
September 19th, 2008 at 01:09am
I personally like the uniforms only because it keep stupid stereotypes away from school so your not getting made fun of for wearing black or anything. It keeps some arguments from happening.
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
September 19th, 2008 at 02:59pm
I think school uniform is a good idea.
I mean I finished school in June so don't have to wear school uniform again so now I'm in college I love the fact I don't have to wear it anymore, but if I had never had to wear it, then college probably wouldn't feel overly different from school so I think it's important to show a difference between education you have no choice in taking and education you choose to take. So I really appreciate not having to wear uniforms now.

Also uniform does generally make you look smart and represent the school you come from.

Also when you think about it alot jobs nowadays have a uniform so its just introducing you to wearing a uniform at a younger age so I personally think it's a good idea.
annaaloves
Bleeding on the Floor
annaaloves
September 26th, 2008 at 04:12pm
if you asked me 2 years ago i probably would've said that i hated wearing a school uniform but now that im in sixth form, i get to wear my own clothes and i wish that i still had the school uniform because i always get the dilemma of deciding what to wear to school everyday. lol
i also think its a good idea because all the kids are wearing the same thing so they are all equals and no ones being picked on because of what their wearing but its really expensive to buy, especially in my school.
Coincidental Fate
Killjoy
Coincidental Fate
September 28th, 2008 at 08:34am
i'm not a huge fan of school uniforms and i love non uniform days but they cause annoying anarchy and iit makes the cooler kids even more confident.
Atleast with school uniform less people call you names.
Super.Ninja.1
Killjoy
Super.Ninja.1
October 10th, 2008 at 11:01pm
I don't like the idea of uniforms, because in a way, school is supposed to teach us how to be individuals. In order to be yourself, you have to show people your indiviuality.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
October 11th, 2008 at 12:35am
Although I've never had to wear one, I think uniforms have their benefits and vices. Like other people have said here, you're all wearing the same thing, so it takes the decisions of what to wear out. And there isn't as much stigma if you can't afford new, "in" clothes. It would also enforce a dress code. On the other hand, this may just be me, but one of the most ways I express myself is through my clothing...it's just something that I love to do. School is where most of my friends are, and I think many people would like showing off their amazing taste in clothing Razz
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 11th, 2008 at 02:01am
Super.Ninja.1:
I don't like the idea of uniforms, because in a way, school is supposed to teach us how to be individuals. In order to be yourself, you have to show people your indiviuality.
No it's not. School doesn't really have anything to do with teaching us how to be individuals. Sure, most schools (good schools) will allow students to exercise some form of individuality and will encourage individuality, but I don't think a lot of schools are all about teaching how to be individual.

And your 'uniqueness' and individuality isn't just defined by clothing. If that's all your define yourself by, then maybe you should rethink what it means to be truly individual...
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
October 15th, 2008 at 12:29pm
Desert Sky:
urrgh catholic school uniform

I miss my catholic school unfirom Sad

I just finished school and now i really miss just waking up and knowing what to wear.

HintFEAR08
Killjoy
HintFEAR08
October 16th, 2008 at 06:49pm
I totally agree with everyone who is saying that it levels the playing field. It allows you to not have to worry about not having the "cool" clothes or whatever and it lets people take you for what you are. Maybe LIFE needs a uniform
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
October 17th, 2008 at 08:47pm
HintFEAR08:
I totally agree with everyone who is saying that it levels the playing field. It allows you to not have to worry about not having the "cool" clothes or whatever and it lets people take you for what you are. Maybe LIFE needs a uniform

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I like having a uniform at school, but uniforms aren't always comfortable. I love my jeans and t-shirts.
AdamLambert
Really Not Okay
AdamLambert
October 18th, 2008 at 06:44pm
i dont mind school uniforms but ours is OVER THE TOP majorly.

You Cant Die your hair. Only Blonds can go to brunnete. Brunettes can go blonde. YOu cant die your hair Blck. Aisens have to keep their hair black and you cant die your hair orange lol. There are only natrul gingas at our school. Smile

And we have to tuck our shirts in. Even our PE Gear, When we run we just about pass out cuz we get no air lol.

Hairs allways tied up. NO Makeup whatsoever.

We have to diff uniforms 1 summer 1 winter. YOu have to wear the right one.

ITS ALL SO GAY CUZ YOU GET ABSOLUTELY 0 Induviduality.
Jenny.
Jenny.
October 18th, 2008 at 06:52pm
^I don't think yours is over the top.
Mine is exactly the same, only we aren't allowed jewellery either. That means no rings, badges, excessive hair ties, large earrings/more than one earring per ear, necklaces, etc.

Why would you pass out from having a shirt tucked in?

And as mentioned in almost every other post in here, does your clothing count as that big a percentage of your individuality?
If it does, that kind of scares me.

P.S. Please don't use chatspeak. Thanks.
fuckyourselfplease
Killjoy
fuckyourselfplease
October 30th, 2008 at 10:44am
Oh my, no make-up? I bet the girls have passed out already.
Cpt.Jack... uniform does take-away our personality, because without uniform people dress to express their personality, if their a chav they dress like a chav, if their a plastic, they dress like a plastic and so on.
Uniform also lowers peoples confident levels, as some people might be larger than others therefore, they will dress to their shape and size, also, uniforms are a waste of money, because instead of buying different clothes, you have to buy several of the same products every year.

So for people who don't understand me.....SUCK OUT!!!

Thanks. xx
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
October 30th, 2008 at 04:30pm
jorgialuvsmcr:

I know I'm not a mod but I would like to say that referring to your uniform as "gay" can be construed as offensive. I personally find it wrong to refer to things by that label. I think you might be able to find a better wording.

Personally, I believe that individuality stems from inside. If you didn't have to wear a uniform, you would wear similar clothing to your friends in your clique. You still wouldn't have a "look all your own," but one similar to your group. By requiring a uniform, you have to make your individuality known by your words and actions -- both of which are infinitely more important than the clothes that you wear.
I Am The Used
Fabulous Killjoy
I Am The Used
October 30th, 2008 at 04:34pm
Hey I don't know about you people but i can rock a school uniform. its all about how you were it and what you accesorise.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
October 30th, 2008 at 07:12pm
I Am The Used:
Hey I don't know about you people but i can rock a school uniform. its all about how you were it and what you accesorise.

that made me laugh so hard, but it is true. When I first had to have a uniform I was like "I am going to look so ugly in this thing", I make it work though. It may be shallow of me, but I like to look good, and even with a uniform I can still do that.
sass attack.
Demolition Lover
sass attack.
October 31st, 2008 at 02:58am
psychochip:
jorgialuvsmcr:

I know I'm not a mod but I would like to say that referring to your uniform as "gay" can be construed as offensive. I personally find it wrong to refer to things by that label. I think you might be able to find a better wording.

Personally, I believe that individuality stems from inside. If you didn't have to wear a uniform, you would wear similar clothing to your friends in your clique. You still wouldn't have a "look all your own," but one similar to your group. By requiring a uniform, you have to make your individuality known by your words and actions -- both of which are infinitely more important than the clothes that you wear.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

I agree whole heartedly. The whole 'school uniform stifles individuality' argument is completely bogus. Why should one's personality be completely dependent on what you wear? That's so stupid. Yes, your clothes are a representation of your personality, but saying that uniform doesn't give you individuality is saying that your personality stops at the clothes you wear. What about the words you say, your personal opinion, your actions, everything else you do without the aid of your outfit?

Does it really matter what you are wearing? If someone said to stop being yourself, would you? Of course you wouldn't, you'd find some other outlet to show what you are. That's what people need to realise. School uniform was not created to purposely stifle your individual self, think about other reasons that don't concern yourself.
Lelouch Lamperouge
Always Born a Crime
Lelouch Lamperouge
October 31st, 2008 at 03:43am
It's not just your physical self where you can show off your individuality. for instance, your atitude. It speaks for who you are.

It will also be easier for us beacuse we wouldn't panic on what to wear.

I wouldn't care much on this debate, but I would like having uniforms.
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
October 31st, 2008 at 03:16pm
I know school uniform is to make everyone equal as people have said and to reduce the chance of being picked on and bullied, but I always seemed to get bullied regardless of it......

But I do think they are a good idea. It's good because you don't have to get up and think of what to wear..and saves you time!!

I'm in 6th form now and I see everyone walking around in their uniform and really miss mine!!