Don't have an account? Create one!

School Uniform

AuthorMessage
p a n d a_xx
Salute You in Your Grave
p a n d a_xx
October 31st, 2008 at 06:03pm
Personally I think school uniforms might be a good thing because I know from personal experiance that I get picked on for not wearing name-braned clothing [Hollister, Abercrombie, Aero] but it's because my family can't afford high class cloths.

It would limit the bulling of the fact that you cant afford a 57 dollar pair of pants. I agree with Early Sunsets; having a uniform would elimitate one of the many chores in the morning.
Katem
Fabulous Killjoy
Katem
November 1st, 2008 at 05:20am
I think school uniforms are a good idea, particularly in highschool where you're most likely to get judged and picked on by the clothes you're wearing. Treating someone differently because of what they're wearing seems unfair to me because it pretty much comes down to the amount of money the person has to spend on their appearance - a uniform kind of levels things out in that regard.
Unless a school uniform is extremely uncomfortable or hard to wear or whatever, it doesn't seem like something anyone could get that annoyed about. There are other ways to express your personality than by dressing a certain way. I do think it's pretty pointless and annoying when teachers appear to be wasting hours giving us detentions for wearing the wrong coloured socks or having earrings on - people on both sides of the uniform argument in my opinion take it a bit too seriously.
And yeah it saves heaps of time in the morning.
barcoded.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
barcoded.
November 22nd, 2008 at 03:24am
school uniform is good
ANd its not just about not being bullied for not having "cool" clothes.

Uniform forces people to look past the clothes and get to know the person by whats inside.
It makes people have a maturer outlook if you have to search for whether this person is a good person
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
November 22nd, 2008 at 05:22am
barcoded.:
school uniform is good
ANd its not just about not being bullied for not having "cool" clothes.

Uniform forces people to look past the clothes and get to know the person by whats inside.
It makes people have a maturer outlook if you have to search for whether this person is a good person

I agree.
If I had to go to a school where they don't have uniforms I would be bullied you know. I can't afford good-looking clothes or something different to wear 5 days a week.

I think that uniform is a great idea. Its one reason for people not to discriminate or judge on outside appearances.
cian_the_vampyr
Killjoy
cian_the_vampyr
November 24th, 2008 at 07:11am
I would absolutely love if school uniforms were outlawed (probably too strong of a word lol). I mean, of course it interferes with our individuality. And everyone should be unique. Its not fair that we, as students, drone around the school like zombies in a boring white shirt, navy jeans and black sweater. They're the type of clothes your grandmother knits you at christmas!!!

I would love nothing more than to walk into school wearing what I want, and not giving a damn what other people care! I live in a very rural area with barely any emo/goth/scene type people (I dont like to label but I'm just giving an example), god knows we need some outside culture.
Allow us to wear converse or vans at least!
Jenny.
Jenny.
November 24th, 2008 at 10:35am
Just out of curiosity, did you read any of the thread before posting?
severus.
Awake and Unafraid
severus.
November 24th, 2008 at 12:50pm
They have their pros and cons. It stifles individuality in a way but also removes potentially disruptive issues like kids worrying about keeping up with the latest styles rather than schoolwork or poorer children being embarrassed about not having designer clothes. It also forms a type of cohesiveness which could be seen as beneficial.

When I was younger, I would sometimes wear school uniforms anyway even though there was no rule.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
November 24th, 2008 at 02:16pm
I used to hate my school uniform, but ofcourse i could see why we had to wear them.

It's only know ive started college and we get to wear what we want that i miss it.

Idont have much money, idont have many clothes, and its a pain getting different things to wear each day.

Uniform was a blessing in disguise for me.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
November 26th, 2008 at 06:57pm
Uniforms would be a good idea as far as dress code goes,especially in my school since we have a big problem with it.

But then again,people would find ways to make uniforms un-dress code and people would still get bullied,just not always for their clothes.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
November 29th, 2008 at 10:30am
cian_the_vampyr:
I would absolutely love if school uniforms were outlawed (probably too strong of a word lol). I mean, of course it interferes with our individuality. And everyone should be unique. Its not fair that we, as students, drone around the school like zombies in a boring white shirt, navy jeans and black sweater. They're the type of clothes your grandmother knits you at christmas!!!

I would love nothing more than to walk into school wearing what I want, and not giving a damn what other people care! I live in a very rural area with barely any emo/goth/scene type people (I dont like to label but I'm just giving an example), god knows we need some outside culture.

oh wow. that sounds so horrible. I would seriously love it if I got to wore jeans to school. That doesn't even register on the bad uniform scale. Really, it's just clothing. If the only way you can express yourself is through clothing then I strongly suggest you get some help because that is sad. Just try to look at the big picture. Twenty years from no will it really matter what kind of clothes you had to wear to school?
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 29th, 2008 at 10:36am
^^ As a child of the 80s who distinctly remembers going to school 20 years ago -- I would love to have those pics show me in a uniform. Seriously I don't know what the hell we were thinking in the 80s -- loud geometric patterns, tightrolled pants & slouch socks, or worse tights and legwarmers. I have a pic of me getting ready for class looking like something out of Flashdance (granted I had just gotten out of ballet class and was going to school, but still.) Trust me, you'll be glad to not remember what you wore as a kid.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 29th, 2008 at 07:39pm
cian_the_vampyr:
god knows we need some outside culture.
I'd hardly call "emo / goths / scene" subcultures "culture", or wearing Vans or Converse "culture". Sure, emos etc. are subcultures, but theoretically subcultures can exist in any areas - even rural areas. You have to have people that want to be those subcultures. Obviously people around your area don't.

And unless it's a boarding school where you specifically have to wear uniform 24/7 (I can't think of any schools who do that, by the way), I fail to see how your individuality is being squashed.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
November 29th, 2008 at 11:06pm
On one hand, I think school uniforms are a good idea because, as numerous others have stated before me, they keep people from being bullied/picked on because they don't have the 'right' clothes. But, on the other hand, one of my close friends goes to a school where uniforms are required and is telling me constantly how people get picked on for not having the right jewelery/nail polish/shoes/hairstyles/school supplies, how they decorate their lockers, etc. So, I really think that no matter how distinct you make the rules with uniforms, the 'popular' clique is still going to pick on everyone else. [I'm schooled at home through a program based in California which supplys my textbooks/assignments, but this is only the second year, and I've been in uniform/non-uniform schools, so I can relate] I know that if I went to school wearing what I do now [skinny jeans, band t-shirts, converse and glasses] I'd be picked on, and I don't care. Ever since 7th grade I've hated popular crowds and cliques in general because it's so stupid, and it happens more in middle school than high school. Uniforms don't kill anyone's individuality- as I mentioned, the kids at my friend's school get picked on for numerous things, therefore there are still numerous ways to express yourself. And, honestly, in ten years when you have a job and a life that requires much work, is it going to matter if you had to wear a uniform back in grade school? Something tells me it won't.
Sex and Candy
Salute You in Your Grave
Sex and Candy
December 2nd, 2008 at 03:51pm
They are there for a reason...
Some peopel can't aford clothes for everyday and with the fashion pressure on kids today it will be a total mess!
So keep the uniform
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
December 3rd, 2008 at 03:39pm
I say that uniform is good, for many of the same reason as others stae here.

However, what I dissagree with is schools tieing you to one shop. Then charging stupid prices. For example, my school jumper costs about £30. I have seen the exact same jumper, minus the logo, for about £7.00.

Schools should for example, sell a logo which can be stitched onto clothing. That way, everyone has the uniform, but no one pays over the top prices.

Don't even get me started on school PE kit.
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
December 5th, 2008 at 05:51pm
sir_pleb:

As far as I know, every secondary school in the UK has a uniform.

Except for mine. As far as I know it's the only one that does it, but we don't wear uniform and we call our teachers by their first names (like James instead of Mr. Smith or Sir).
I used to wish we had a uniform in my lower years, because I used to get picked on, and some of the target was on the clothes I wore. Now I'm in my last year at 6th form, people are a lot more grown up, and don't pick on clothes and stuff, but back then they did and it was horrible.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
December 7th, 2008 at 04:03pm
I wore a school uniform for my whole school career I suffered bullying - a lot of it for the way I dressed.
Even though you all wear the same clothes as far as the basics, there are still differences, like where you get your school clothes from. People I know even got severely bullied for how long they wore their tie.
Jenny.
Jenny.
December 8th, 2008 at 04:39pm
To be honest, I think it's just a case of the grass being greener.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
December 9th, 2008 at 04:21pm
^ Agreed.
Your Ghost.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Your Ghost.
December 9th, 2008 at 07:16pm
I guess I lean a little more towards not having uniforms because it does take away from the intrests of the person.What i mean by that is that is well, lets say, you like certain types of styles, then it attracts you to the people who like the same things you do. But uniforms take that away, and make it, in some cases, harder to find people like you. Also the school uniforms, i feel they will NOT eliminate or even tame bullying, That will forever go on no matter what we try to do to stop it.