Don't have an account? Create one!

School Uniform

AuthorMessage
SindySellick
Killjoy
SindySellick
January 10th, 2009 at 04:36pm
i like the idea of school uniforms, mainly for the schools appearance.
but i also hate the idea of uniforms, because they are horrible.
in my school we get lectures all the time about how school uniform is a must.
i understand how they dont want people showing off their branded clothes and new trainers blah blah, but as i've heard from a teacher on a "own clothes day" that the students seemed calmer without having to wear school uniform.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 11th, 2009 at 07:04am

It depends in which perspective you look at the situation from to be quite honest.

In my view, it isn't such a big deal. It's just the clothing you wear for 6 hours, give or take.
Yes, you may find it annoying. Yes, it may be irritating. But like many other things in the school system, you just have to grin and bear it.
If you really feel like clothing is your only way to express your individuality, well that says something about your character and judgement.
You're not going to have to wear uniform for your entire life, so in my view, you just have to get over it.
If you want to go to school, you'll have to take the pro's and con's together. You can't always get what you want.
It not only helps stamp out a lot of bullying, children from areas of poverty can feel a sense of equality with the other children.
I have to wear uniform and no, I'm not sitting here saying that you have to like it. You just have to learn to live with it.
It's just a thing in life that's a given. The school makes its rules, and if you want to go to school, you'll have to wear uniform.

It's just clothing, it doesn't interfere with your education, so what's they big deal?
Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
January 12th, 2009 at 12:46am
I wore uniforms for 7 years and it was bearable, but not ideal. Some teachers would start to care more about if your shirt was tucked in and whether you had your cardigan for mass than if you were actually learning anything.
And it doesnt make anyone equal at all. Kids will always find a way to pick on one another and clothing is only one way to do that. Even wearing uniforms my class had the obvious 'jocks' and 'nerds' and 'sluts'.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 12th, 2009 at 04:30am
EeVie !:
And it doesnt make anyone equal at all. Kids will always find a way to pick on one another and clothing is only one way to do that. Even wearing uniforms my class had the obvious 'jocks' and 'nerds' and 'sluts'.

But it helps eliminate one of the things that people can pick on.
By taking away the difference in clothes, in a way, you are making people equal.
Kids no longer have that advantage of putting themselves above people because of clothes.

Even if it is only one way to prevent bullying, if it helps one person, isn't it worth it?
Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
January 14th, 2009 at 12:49am
idk i just don't think it helps at all. From what i saw uniforms weren't even a roadblock in bullying, it was just completley irrelevant. Of course this was kindergarten through 6th grade i had uniforms so non of us really knew any better anyways and had never used clothes as a way of bullying.
Sheena53
Killjoy
Sheena53
January 14th, 2009 at 10:01am
Of course it takes away our indivisuality, and it would be awesome to be able to wear what you wanted to.
But, I think people get picked on a lot over the clothes they wear. And if some kid is poor, and can't afford 'cool' clothes, or repeats outfits many times, they would get teased A LOT.
VeexVenom
Thinking Happy Thoughts
VeexVenom
January 19th, 2009 at 03:29pm
You guys made some really good points.
My school has a dress code, but it's not like anyone actually follows it. I just feel bad for the kids who DO follow it, and get made fun of for doing so. But the uniform makes me feel really awkward. I wear band tees almost every day of my life, so it's really difficult to be confident when I feel like crap.
>.<
LeATHERMOUTH.
Salute You in Your Grave
LeATHERMOUTH.
January 22nd, 2009 at 04:29pm
i personally don't like wearing my school uniform and i hate it, but i think if we were allowed to wear our own clothes, then we'd get bullied and stereotyped alot more. i don't like teh way uniform looks and it does take away our individuality but at the end of the day, i don't wana get bullied or get called names because of what i wear, so i think that no matter how much people hate school unifrom, i think its a good thing to have.
fawkes
Bleeding on the Floor
fawkes
January 30th, 2009 at 12:57am
I wore a school uniform at my old school in England, but most schools have them there. I like not having to wear a uniform anymore, but I wouldn't mind if I had to wear one. We have a dress code at my school, but the teachers don't enforce it, and some of the shirts people wear are riduculously inappropriate sometimes. I was also made fun of for the way I dressed in middle school, and having a uniform would definately have prevented that. I'm kind of indifferent to uniforms because there are positives and negatives both ways. I think uniforms limit expression to some extent, but we focused on things we could control, like shoes.
yousawnothing
Jazz Hands
yousawnothing
January 30th, 2009 at 03:51pm
I hate it. We have long kilts that blow apart in the wind, and we're not allowed safety pins or anything like that. It's not warm, not comfy and not practical, unlike home clothes. Sixth formers can wear them, why not us?

School trips are easy enough to manage, and we always go in home clothes anyway and anyone stupid enough to go off on their own can be rung up.
We don't really have money-based groups, so that wouldn't be a problem, and I board, so people wear their own clothes a lot of the time anyway. People don't pick on each other's clothes, there are other things to think about.

Uniform costs so much money, and it doesn't take that much effort to put on jeans, shoes, a t-shirt and a hoodie in the mornings. I personally find it easier to work in clothes I've chosen because I like them, not because I'm forced to.

Other countries manage well enough without uniform; why can't we?
scratch_cat
Killjoy
scratch_cat
January 31st, 2009 at 07:45am
I live in Russia and we mustn't wear school uniform... in our school xD So I'm very happy because I can put on my favourite clothes.
fault lines.
Awake and Unafraid
fault lines.
February 6th, 2009 at 05:41am
i personally hate my school uniform. but i would rather have it then wearing my own clothes. its bad enough at a 5 day camp wearing my own clothes and people looking at me a bit weird cause i don't wear loads of "in" clothes like short shorts and tons and tons of makeup. i think its a good idea because then there's one less thing for people to tease you about.
i think most schools in NSW, and australia have a uniform and we seem to manage pretty good with it. i just think they should be a bit more updated and have a few styles to suite different body shapes. im pretty lucky that mine has a belt-ish thing that sorta gives it a bit of shape, but i had to by a pretty big uniform for myself because im not exactly a small girl. thats one of the things i hate about uniforms is that there ugly and unflattering.
as for the taking away our individuality part, it does in a way, but your personality should make you an individual, no matter what your wearing, and also, you have hair, it doesn't have to be as boring and ugly as your uniform.
Don't Ignore Me
Killjoy
Don't Ignore Me
March 27th, 2009 at 02:13am
I think that it's good we have school uniforms. It'd be a never-ending contest to get the better clothes for school to try and impress everybody. At least with uniforms you can't have a bad clothes day, no matter how ugly it is, because everybody is wearing the same thing.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
March 27th, 2009 at 01:24pm
I think school uniforms are a complete waste of money.
In my school, it doesn't stop any kind of bullying whatsoever, because there's still fashions within school uniform, so people can still tell who gets their clothes from where and how much they cost.
It doesn't make everyone equal, it makes everyone the same.
The other day, me and my mum were in the car on the way back from the orthodontist and we drove past the school my little siblings go to and they were outside for their break, and i couldn't recognise them. My own siblings. Because they were all in the same clothes. They all looked the same. I just thought "what are they doing to these kids?".
And i just got back to school after getting 4 As and a B, and by the end of the first day, I hadn't been congratulated once, but had been moaned at beacuse you couldn't see my tie (my fleese was zipped up). They care more about uniform than they do about the grades.
And no, it doens't strip people of their individuality. There are other ways people can individulise themselves, but that is exactly why it doesn't stop bullying. But it is trying to make everyone the same.
They say it's preparing us for the future, because you have to wear uniforms in jobs, and yes, you do, for some of them. For the one I'm going into, you don't. You don't at college, you don't at university, but you do at school. College and University prepare you for your future job more than school does, but you don't have to wear uniform there.
So, overall, uniform is pointless and costs a fortune.
Jenny.
Jenny.
March 27th, 2009 at 05:00pm
^ At my school, you get your uniform at Griffith's And Valentinos, the school shop. All the clothes are the same.

I agree that it does cost a fortune though. We have to wear blazers which cost £35, not including the school badge - and they get wrecked so easily.
gabrllnoel
Killjoy
gabrllnoel
March 28th, 2009 at 06:25pm
I don't think that uniforms make the students equal but but they are a good idea. They kid of unify the school. I wouldn't mind wearing one as long as it wasn't dead-ugly. They are expensive though.
pandiculation
Killjoy
pandiculation
March 30th, 2009 at 03:31am
last year i went to a public school. no uniform.
now i got to a catholic school. uniform.
i agree with Lovesick Melody. sometimes it is better to wear uniform. no teasing. you all look the same.

but sometimes you just want to be unique. and you hate looking like everyone else.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
April 9th, 2009 at 08:31pm
yeah, i really don't mind my school uniform. they're pretty slack about it, but even when they have a 'crackdown',
our uniforms don't look too bad. i wear a cardigan i got from new look and a skirt that's well above the knee,
but no one's said a single thing. /:

i don't think it stops bullying or anything, because there's trends with uniform anyway.
'uncool' kids wear full length shirt sleeves and ties, 'cool' kids wear their ties short and have short/three-quarter sleeves.

yeah it kinda sucks having to wear the same thing as everyone else, but the thing is, it's not your clothes who define
who you are. :]
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 10th, 2009 at 01:25pm
lahlaala:
last year i went to a public school. no uniform.
now i got to a catholic school. uniform.
i agree with Lovesick Melody. sometimes it is better to wear uniform. no teasing. you all look the same.

but sometimes you just want to be unique. and you hate looking like everyone else.

To be honest, I think it's more likely there's no teasing in the Catholic school beacuse it's a Catholic school rather than because there' s uniform.
I was teased in my first primary school, but moved to a catholic school and wasn't. Both schools have uniform.

frank iero!:
yeah it kinda sucks having to wear the same thing as everyone else, but the thing is, it's not your clothes who define
who you are. :]

Which I reckon is the reason why uniform doesn't prevent teasing. People know what you're like regardless of what you're wearing.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
April 10th, 2009 at 04:35pm
Just Steph, just because a school is a Catholic school doesn't mean there will be no teasing or bullying. In fact I'm not really sure what your point is.