Don't have an account? Create one!

24th July 2008 - MCR to cover Bob Dylan track for Watchmen movie.

AuthorMessage
AdamLambert
Really Not Okay
AdamLambert
March 10th, 2009 at 11:29pm
Incognito.:
Times like this cals for a pair of heels, hair straightners and make-up to turn me from fourteen to 16!

I honestly look so young its hard for me to even pass as 14 >_<
playground eyes.
Awake and Unafraid
playground eyes.
March 13th, 2009 at 06:55am
^ aw, Sad

i saw watchmen yesterday. it was really cool! Wow
and desolation row fitted really well!
i got really excited when it started playing and forced my brother to stay in the cinemas until the song finished... even though everyone had left and the lights were on, with the security guard/usher waiting for us to leave.. Tehe
but the security guard/usher was dancing to it! Dance
it was funny! Clap
AdamLambert
Really Not Okay
AdamLambert
March 13th, 2009 at 08:51pm
haha what a cool security guard :]
Strfckrs Inc.
Salute You in Your Grave
Strfckrs Inc.
March 14th, 2009 at 12:44am
This movie was amazing
And I'm glad they didn't use Desolation Row during the movie because it was more suited to the end credits

My friend & I went crazy & another friend told us the only time he had seen girls go so crazy in a cinema was when Zac Efron was in a movie they didn't expect him to be in XD
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
March 14th, 2009 at 07:06am
^^ I am *so* glad I wasn't in your theater. Seriously, guys. A movie based on one of the best, most beloved, most groundbreaking stories of our time and you guys only go to hear a song in the credits. All of the themes, all of the ideas, all of the times they fly in the face of what most people consider to be good, all of it wasted on you because you just want to hear a song.

I bet one of you was the one giggling in my theater every time you saw Dr. Manhattan's butt or penis.

FFS.
playground eyes.
Awake and Unafraid
playground eyes.
March 14th, 2009 at 08:16am
excuse me? Neutral

what made you think that i only went to the film to hear desolation row? -

Starbucks Overdose:
i saw watchmen yesterday. it was really cool! Wow

the film was great, and i would have seen it regardless of mcr's song.
the reason we were discussing desolation row is because that is the purpose of this thread - to focus on the use of desolation row in watchmen, as opposed to just discussing the film in general.
i can hear desolation row anytime on my ipod, so why would i spend money to go to the cinema and see the film if that was all i was interested in?
the fact that mcr's cover was in it was simply an added bonus, i am allowed to enjoy that it was included in the film, but that definitely wasn't my motivation.
please don't jump to those kind of conclusions. Disgust
Paint It Black
Bulletproof Heart
Paint It Black
March 14th, 2009 at 09:35am
This is probably gonna upset some people, but I can honestly say that when I first heard that MCR's song was gonna be in the movie, I wanted to go because of this. Mainly because I was curious how it was gonna turn out with the song in the end credits. I didn't have a clue about Watchmen at the time; I had heard the comic being mentioned several times, and that was it. Before The Umbrella Academy, the only comic I had read was Donald Duck as a kid. I decided to do some research on Watchmen to see if it was a movie I would like to see (I wouldn't pay 105 SEK just to hear the end credits to a movie that I would most likely dislike), but I realized that wow, this is pretty cool! And after having watched some trailers, I realized that I would love to see this movie, regardless of its soundtrack. So now I'm just waiting for it to come here, the cinema in my town is really slow when it comes to showing new movies.
Jenny.
Jenny.
March 15th, 2009 at 09:11am
tabitha:

I bet one of you was the one giggling in my theater every time you saw Dr. Manhattan's butt or penis.

FFS.

We're teenagers, that's what we're gonna do Wink
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
March 15th, 2009 at 10:27am
^Oi missy I'm a teenager too and I resent that Razz I joke, I joke.

My sister who is 23 had the same reaction, it was highly distracting.

To be honest I adored the film, very well executed, especially the tiny cameo moments that hinted at the scenes from the book that didn't make it intp the film, for instance the boy at the news stand reading the comic book about pirates.

I didn't stay for the song at the end, I like the song, but it didn't really match the other songs used in the film, they were all at a different tempo, so I'm glad it was over the credits not a fight scene as I had pictured it before IO saw the film.
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
March 15th, 2009 at 11:11am
I am really curious how the song fits in after the movie, and what kind of atmosphere is left at the end of the film.

I've not watched the film yet... Still too cowardly. Razz But as far as being superficial goes, I wouldn't watch the movie for the song, but I did read the novel because of the movie, so I suppose i'm somewhere in the middle. I do really want to see it... *Damn it woman get some guts*
jay!
Bleeding on the Floor
jay!
March 15th, 2009 at 07:45pm
Finally went to see Watchmen today. Brought my mom along, who was the only one who had the chance of giggling during the Dr. Manhattan nudity.. Luckily, she behaved herself, even though she did make a few comments during the sex scenes.

Anyway, I thought the film was very good. Not excellent, but very good. I was half asleep for most of it because I hardly slept last night, but the parts I was conscious for were good. I still need to read the comic, which I know is stupid of me not to read it before the movie came out, but I really couldn't find a copy anywhere. I'll definitely be picking up a copy somewhere as soon as I can, though.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
March 17th, 2009 at 07:08am
Guys, I was in a rare mood when I wrote that, and while I don't apologize for it, I do hope that you will step back and understand why I said it.

I've been a Watchmen fan for *years.* Probably longer than some of you have been alive. I've been following this movie's development for nearly a decade, from when it was first optioned by Fox to now. The story is one of those rare treasures that remains as important today as it did when it was first released; it dates itself, yes, but the basic idea is as useful today as it was twenty years ago. So when I hear a bunch of people ignoring the entire contents of the film over one little song (which, as it has been pointed out, was to the far left of the rest of the music in the film, and TBH, I hated it in the context of the film because it doesn't fit. At all. I like the song, but I feel it had no place in Watchmen.) I get upset.

I could even go so far as to say that Watchmen is my Twilight. Most everyone here seems to *love* Twilight (and I've even read it and enjoyed it as well) and had a certain expectation regarding the Twilight film. I had a certain expectation about the Watchmen film, and it's frustrating to read pages and pages of people freaking out over a song on the soundtrack rather than enjoying it for what it was.

Maybe this will help you understand why I feel the way I do about it.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
March 17th, 2009 at 10:40am
Hey, Tabs; just so you know, Monster Man is on his second reading of the graphic novel as we speak. He is addicted to it like crack, and we both agree that Rorschach is one of the most fascinating characters ever written. Damien has been googling facts about "Watchmen" like crazy. I hope this makes you proud Smile

I actually do understand why Snyder felt that the song was a good fit. Rorschach's outlook on society is every bit as dark and conflicted as Dylan's in "Desolation." I also found it interesting how he bookended the film with Dylan classics, and I thought the choice of "The Times" was absolutely perfect as an opener. I know that the kids sitting in that theater with me had never heard that song before, and they were all fascinated.

I know it gets frustrating for you at times as an older, devoted comic fan to watch people trickle into something simply because some band appeared or whatever, but the idea is to try and get people who normally would not have become interested in comics to check them out. Sometimes it sticks and sometimes it doesn't. Damie doesn't get drawn in by music, he gets drawn in by films, and this one really did the job. His taste in reading is very selective, so for him to become this interested is pretty cool.

The book is definitely very well-written; it draws you right in, and that's a rarity. I'm glad it's getting some new recognition, although I know that's sort of bittersweet for you.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
March 17th, 2009 at 12:47pm
I think the point is that it's My Chem. getting the recognition, not Watchmen. "/
That being said, it's sort of to be expected because this is an MCR board, not a Watchmen board.
I haven't seen the movie yet, mainly because I want to read the book before seeing it and I haven't got the money to buy the book yet, so I have to reserve judgement on other debates for now.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
March 17th, 2009 at 01:01pm
The Rumor:
I think the point is that it's My Chem. getting the recognition, not Watchmen.
I'm not sure that's true at all. Even the kids who got interested solely because the band was involved have more or less been discussing the actual film, not just the song at the end.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
March 17th, 2009 at 01:12pm
Deb -- I forgot you heard my rant at NYCC regarding all the new fans parading around like they've been fans FOREVER when Dave Gibbons walks by and they don't even realize the artist is standing *right next to them* despite them being "THE BIGGEST FAN EVER!!!!!" of the book. Yeah, right.

I am glad that more people are reading the book, I really am. I love the fact that several of the top grossing films of the last few years have been comic book movies. It's like comic fans don't have to be ashamed of what they like anymore because people like Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan, Joss Whedon, and Bryan Singer have shown the world what amazing stories have been told in the medium. I do, as I stated above, have a problem with posers who claim to be "M-F'ING HAAAARD COOORE HXC" fans of something that they've read once, if at all.

And yes. I realize that this is an MCR board and everyone is here because they are MCR fans. But you also have to understand that there are other fandoms represented here -- including comics, and while I appreciate the fact that Gerard has done his part to get more people into comics, I *don't* appreciate the fact that some people act as if they've been comic fans their entire lives, just because they've read TUA or because Gerard is a comic fan so they want to be *just like him.* Those of us who have read and love Watchmen are going to get defensive when it's watered down to only being important because of the end credit song.

I think on a board where the idea of "teenie" fans has been brought up and discussed in disgust more than a few times, it's perfectly acceptable to point out that freaking out over the song at the end of a film could be interpreted, by those who don't know anything about MCR, as a "teenie" reaction. Enjoy the song all you want -- but do it in a way that is not disruptive to the other people in the theatre and in a way that does not reflect poorly on the band.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
March 17th, 2009 at 02:33pm
tabitha:
Deb -- I forgot you heard my rant at NYCC regarding all the new fans parading around like they've been fans FOREVER when Dave Gibbons walks by and they don't even realize the artist is standing *right next to them* despite them being "THE BIGGEST FAN EVER!!!!!" of the book.

I think on a board where the idea of "teenie" fans has been brought up and discussed in disgust more than a few times, it's perfectly acceptable to point out that freaking out over the song at the end of a film could be interpreted, by those who don't know anything about MCR, as a "teenie" reaction.

haha yes I sure did, and you are still 120% correct on that point, Tabs; it's absolutely the same thing. You and I have had multiple discussions about what constitutes expert, novice and all of the areas in between. I wish people would just be upfront about what they do and do not know, rather than trying to impress, only to look like fools in the end.

Back on topic, which is the song, I do love the song ("Watchmen is spelled wrong in the thread title, btw - will the author please edit that? LOL) and I found the soundtrack to be quite brilliant for the context that the movie was in. Sometimes a director will toss in songs that make little or no sense to the storyline, but Snyder, in my opinion, did a great job of interweaving the two.

I am thinking we need another thread just to discuss the film; is there one someplace?
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
March 17th, 2009 at 02:40pm
I can understand your fury Tabs... If I hear "I'm such a HUGE Harry Potter fan, I've watched all the films!!!!" one more time, my ears may start to steam. Razz The kids I work with know that I have banned them from saying that until they've read at least one of the books. I am an evil tyrant. LOL.

I still really wish I hadn't deleted that 30 second clip of Desolation Row, it would have made a kick ass ringtone. The full version doesn't start out dramatic enough for me to realise my phone is ringing before it's too late. I really like the song, and I love how it's growing on my closest friends as well Mr. Green
AdamLambert
Really Not Okay
AdamLambert
March 17th, 2009 at 10:57pm
I want to see the movie and no way just because of the song at the end. . I have read the book even before i knew mcr was going to be involved..
look alive sunshine.
Shotgun Sinner
look alive sunshine.
March 18th, 2009 at 09:16am
Handsome_Awkward:
I want to see the movie and no way just because of the song at the end. . I have read the book even before i knew mcr was going to be involved..

heh! me too =]
i still need to see it, eventually...if someone will go with me =/
i'm not old enough soo yeah. by .5 of a year *sulks*