Role Models

AuthorMessage
sciencefreak897
Banned
sciencefreak897
September 26th, 2008 at 10:51am
[quote="Nouvelle Vague"]
Cigarettes And Suicide:
Just because Gerard way beat drugs doesn't make him a role model, and i don't care if this sounds harsh but no-one made him take drugs anyway.

Well, it does and it doesn't. It just depends. Because he beat drugs kind of makes him my role model. I look up to him because of that, and other things he did. I used to smoke pot, and looking at this guy, it helped me stop. I mean, he's not my role model simply because he did drugs and stoped, but that helps make him my role model, if that makes any sense

P.S. YES! I know, i have very bad spelling and grammar
HintFEAR08
Killjoy
HintFEAR08
October 16th, 2008 at 04:18pm
It depends. Some people are role models but I don't think they are trying to be. Some people consider Paris Hilton a role model. It should be obvious that she should not be anyone's role model yet alot of people look up to her. It seems like people look up to almost anyone famous or in the spotlight.
Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
October 17th, 2008 at 01:20am
Role models aren't necessarily always famous people. But the reason people do look up to celebrities is usually because of what they've achieved and therefore are famous for. They aspire to be like them.
My role models very from my friends, to writers, vocalists, artists, historical peace leaders. The point being everyone has different role models because they are all influenced by different things and they prioritise different values over others.

Just thought I'd state the obvious here.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
October 20th, 2008 at 03:50pm
^^ true.

I also dont think anyone else can tell someone that there wrong to look up to ANYONE.

if a young girl wants to be exactly like Miley Cyrus, so what? Thats just a young girl being a young girl. She's not doing anything wrong.

No one can tell anyone that who they look up to is unhealthy (with the exception being if they look up to serial killers or terrorists ect..)
Helena of Sorrows
Fabulous Killjoy
Helena of Sorrows
October 21st, 2008 at 06:55am
everyone has their own role models.
they maybe famous people, historical icons, or just simply ordinary people. we look up to them because their famous, they are rich, they are a great person or simply because they are good-looking.
my role models are my mom and MCR. my mom, she is simply the greatest mom ever. and MCR not because they are my favorite band, but because they truly inspired me a lot.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
October 21st, 2008 at 07:22am
Should you look at only the good stuff they do?

A person is defined by their actions, good and bad. To take the bad decisions away from a person, you are taking away a lot of what they learned from. I know I learned a lot from my mistakes going through life, and in my own role models I often chose people who weren't perfect; because I wanted to be able to aspire to them.

Can it be dangerous? (in the sense of like being influenced by a person)

If by liking someone you change yourself completely, yes, that can be dangerous. While it is certainly healthy to look up to others, losing your sense of self shouldn't go with it. You can change attributes about yourself (I'd love to stop cursing so much, for example, but that's something I *do*, it's not something that *defines* me, like my belief in God or my background) but to change the things that make you unique to try to align yourself more closely to someone else you risk losing your convictions and your ideals.

Can they change your opinion on something?

I think that they can, and I hope that people who *know* that they are role models are putting forth a good example. Using Tom Cruise from the not-so-distant past, he went on and on about using vitamins to cure post-partum depression. First of all, no man should be able to tell a woman what to feel after the birth of her baby, especially a man who, at the time, did not have a biological child of his own. Secondly, what if someone who looked up to him believed him and did something terrible to their child rather than get professional help? Thank God it didn't happen, but it could have. People with celebrity or notoriety owe it to their fans to try and live a decent, moral life. At least, it's my opinion anyway.

It's silly, but I've had 7 parents tell me in recent months that their children wanted to buy Chuck Taylor All-Star oxfords shoes -- because *I* wear Chuck Taylor All-Star oxford shoes. I work with elementary school kids and I have to be extremely careful what I say and do because some of these kids, I spend more time with them than their parents and I have more sway over their opinions and worldview than their parents do. These kids look up to me -- they want to dress like me, act like me, be like me. One of the girls dyed her hair red because mine is red. It's a heady thing, and I am conscious all the time of how I act and what I do when I am at work or just shopping at stores in the area where my school is located, in case I see my kids. I was at the Epcot Food and Wine Festival this weekend and I was embarrassed that one of my kids saw me drinking a margarita -- we told her it was a slushie and she was young enough to believe it. But I take my work very seriously, because I know I influence young people. I wish everyone who had people look up to them would think that way.
Super.Ninja.1
Killjoy
Super.Ninja.1
October 23rd, 2008 at 11:54am
Frank Iero is my role model. I really want to be a girl version of him +]]
Jenny.
Jenny.
October 23rd, 2008 at 03:45pm
^Please make sure your posts contribute to the discussion. Smile
---
Now, I don't see what's so bad about having a role model, as long as it's not taken too far so the person copies every little thing and knows every little thing their role model does.
People need others to look up to, to push themselves and strive to be better. I don't see what's so bad about that.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 25th, 2008 at 09:28pm
One thing to add to what Pyschochip said.

There is this one teacher at my school who is obsessed with Presidental canidate, Barack Oboma. In her class room she created a full wall colage of his logans and quotes and pictures and condemning John McCain. Police officers who were patrolling our school saw and gave her a warning that if she didn't cover up that wall, that serious legal actions would be taken.

At first I didn't fully understand the logic behind this, so I was talking to her about this, and it was simply because it was viewed as her pressing her political views and the students at my school.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
October 25th, 2008 at 10:15pm
My Dear Delirious:
At first I didn't fully understand the logic behind this, so I was talking to her about this, and it was simply because it was viewed as her pressing her political views and the students at my school.

I don't really get that. I mean it's not like she was shoving pictures of Obama down their throats. If it doesn't effect her teaching I really don't see the problem.
And as far as role models go Obama is a pretty good one I would say. He's and intelligent kind person.
poor song.
Salute You in Your Grave
poor song.
October 30th, 2008 at 02:53pm

How can people say Miley Cyrus isn't a good role model?
If someone wants to be like her whats wrong with that?
Who are we to stop other peoples dreams and ambitions?
Roles models influence people, but to what extent - that depends on the person.
Don't lots of people say Gerard 'saved' their lives?
Well why can't Miley Cyrus do that ?
She's a teenager of course other teenagers can empathize
with her problems.

No-one is justified in saying who can and can't be a role model everyone has flaws, it's just celebrates' are layed out for everyone to see.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
October 30th, 2008 at 06:55pm
^I completely agree with out. People are just too hard on celebrities. The only difference between us and them is that when they do something wrong everyone and their mom knows about it. I pity them in a way, that they often don't have the option of keeping their problems and mistakes private.
danny.the.dino
Killjoy
danny.the.dino
October 30th, 2008 at 09:26pm
well it really depends on the person. like if they look up to a person who does good and bad things and only look up to the bad things..... then they should re-think who they are looking up to. but anyone can look up to whoever they want. it depends on what they pull from the person they look up to.
sass attack.
Demolition Lover
sass attack.
October 31st, 2008 at 03:11am
Cigarettes And Suicide:
Just because Gerard way beat drugs doesn't make him a role model, and i don't care if this sounds harsh but no-one made him take drugs anyway.

I think what's made people look up to him is the fact that he's had the strength to come to terms with his addiction and overcome drugs; but you're right, no one made him take drugs, but anyone can fall into drugs and it only takes a bit of curiosity to start it off.

Eponine:
My Dear Delirious:

I don't really get that. I mean it's not like she was shoving pictures of Obama down their throats. If it doesn't effect her teaching I really don't see the problem.
And as far as role models go Obama is a pretty good one I would say. He's and intelligent kind person.

I don't really think that's fair. I don't know much about American politics (hell, I know even less about Australian politics and I live there), but that is so unfair. How is it different to seeing a commercial on tv or a billboard on the street advertising the campaigns?

- - - - - - -

I agree with the point made that people should be allowed to look up to whatever role model they choose without having to worry about people questioning it. But some people I know look up to people who are unfit to be role models. I know girls who absolutely idolise Paris Hilton.

I atleast think a role model should possess some credibility, what does Paris Hilton do that is worthy of another's admiration? I applaud those who look to people who are strong in character and have something to contribute.

Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
October 31st, 2008 at 11:29am
Utada Hikaru:
Well, my Dad has been involved with Gamblers Anonymous for over thirty years, and others do consider him a role model both for his continued sobriety (knocks wood,) the personal changes he was able to make over the course of his life and his good soul.

That being said, however, I think this argument goes back to individuality. Just because someone or something fails to motivate you personally doesn't mean that others are disentitled to draw from same. No one should put down what others enjoy, and this took a long time for me to learn. Maturity, if one allows it to, enables a person to begin viewing everything as shades of gray.

Also, remember that we are ultimately responsible for our own actions - not our role models.
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
November 14th, 2008 at 11:03pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
Maybe someone like Gerard Way, who has dragged himself up from being nobody, to being a successful musician who loves his work, and has not had a hand up on the way. He struggled with and beat a drug addiction, he put in more hours than I can possibly imagine in order to get where he is today, and yeah, he had his band and family's support on the journey, but who doesn't have somebody to be there for them?

for srs?
i'm not trying to sound mean or anything,
but like someone else said, no one told gerard to take drugs.
and i can gurantee you, he's not the only one who works hard.
but if that's what caused people to call him a hero,
then i'm okay with that.
but honestly, alot of musicians have overcome problems,
and i rarely hear about them being a role model.

Cigarettes And Suicide:
I guess what I'm trying to say is, what has Miley Cyrus done for anybody?

i honestly hate it when people say things like this.
she's a great role model for younger girls.
she's a great singer, with a nice personality.
what's wrong with that?
sure, she didn't have a drug or alcohol problem,
but she's a role model.
she's an average, teenage girl who is trying to make it in this world.
i appreciate her, and her music. she's talented and has does alot to make her well known.
thats what she has done to make herself a role model.
she didnt ask to be one, but she is, imo.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
November 15th, 2008 at 08:10am
Hmmm I was thinking that role models don't have to be real people either... Some of my role models are characters from novels and stories. eg. Atticus Finch from "To Kill A Mocking Bird" or something like that.

They can be good role models too, even though they're not real people.

I hope I made sense.....

And also, none of my role models are celebrities, they're all pretty fake to me.

EDIT: I believe anyone can be a role model though, it depends on what people look for in one. I can't tell people whose a good role model and who isn't you know...
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
November 15th, 2008 at 02:07pm
Kaede:
Hmmm I was thinking that role models don't have to be real people either... Some of my role models are characters from novels and stories. eg. Atticus Finch from "To Kill A Mocking Bird" or something like that.

They can be good role models too, even though they're not real people.

I hope I made sense.....

And also, none of my role models are celebrities, they're all pretty fake to me.

EDIT: I believe anyone can be a role model though, it depends on what people look for in one. I can't tell people whose a good role model and who isn't you know...
I can understand that, but the thing is, with character was conjured up in someone's mind, sure that character might be based on true events and so on but is it really as affective as a real life person? Like say I look up to Bell from Beauty and the Beast, she fell in love with this monster and she was able to look past his apperance and find some good in him, well should I aspire to be like her when I could look up to someone like Anne Frank who saw the good in everyone, even the people out to kill her and her whole family simply because of the fact that they were jewish? I'm not sure if this really makes sense, but to me, fiction is fiction, and fiction and fact can come very very close together, but in the end fiction is still fiction, someone made it up and wrote it out, while in real life theres someone who actually beat hardshipp, who maybe goes out of their way to help others.

So heres another question, could a fictional character also be just as influental and inspiring and be a role model like a real person?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 15th, 2008 at 05:26pm
My Dear Delirious:
I can understand that, but the thing is, with character was conjured up in someone's mind, sure that character might be based on true events and so on but is it really as affective as a real life person? Like say I look up to Bell from Beauty and the Beast, she fell in love with this monster and she was able to look past his apperance and find some good in him, well should I aspire to be like her when I could look up to someone like Anne Frank who saw the good in everyone, even the people out to kill her and her whole family simply because of the fact that they were jewish? I'm not sure if this really makes sense, but to me, fiction is fiction, and fiction and fact can come very very close together, but in the end fiction is still fiction, someone made it up and wrote it out, while in real life theres someone who actually beat hardshipp, who maybe goes out of their way to help others.

So heres another question, could a fictional character also be just as influental and inspiring and be a role model like a real person?
First of all, the person you replied to (Kaede) specifically pointed out that she looks up to Atticus from To Kill A Mocking Bird. Have you ever read that book? It's not fantasy fiction like Beauty And The Beast. The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think there's anything wrong with looking up to literary characters - and in the case of a character like Atticus, they may be somewhat fictitious, but they still have human and admirable qualities.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
November 15th, 2008 at 06:51pm
Mindfuck:
First of all, the person you replied to (Kaede) specifically pointed out that she looks up to Atticus from To Kill A Mocking Bird. Have you ever read that book? It's not fantasy fiction like Beauty And The Beast. The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think there's anything wrong with looking up to literary characters - and in the case of a character like Atticus, they may be somewhat fictitious, but they still have human and admirable qualities.
um...I just wanted to piont out I was just using an example, and yes fictionaly characters can be very admirable, but should they be admired as much as a real person who may have went through something similary?