Don't have an account? Create one!

Famous Last Words

AuthorMessage
Black Dawn
Killjoy
Black Dawn
August 11th, 2009 at 06:57pm
hmm, i love this song but im not sure i was originally thinking it was about someone committing suicide, but i think it might be no matter what shit life throws at you, even if there is nothing there continue on because nothing could stop you and if you feel like you're alone continue on
to never be afraid of anything,to keep trust in yourself,to always have faith.that even at the hardest times in life,you always believe in yourself
and also possibly about his girlfriend leaving him and him hoping that she was with him " i see you lying next to me with words i thought i'd never speak awake and unafraid asleep or dead" and how he wants her to forgive him
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
August 22nd, 2009 at 12:36pm
To me, it always sounds like Gerard is putting emphasis on the 'I' in the I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone, which could mean he means it in a harsh way, implying that the other person is afraid.

Just a thought.
behereforawhile
Killjoy
behereforawhile
September 23rd, 2009 at 01:55pm
I love the Mikey theory, but what i get from the song is that its about a person thinking about suicide, and he doesnt Gerard doesn't want the person to go, but he knows he cant stop them, but he CAN try
mel_kron
Killjoy
mel_kron
December 8th, 2009 at 09:17pm
this song means to much to me, especially the chorus that i had to get the lyrics tattoo'ed on my foot. They give me hope and so much strength mentally- the words are so strong, sustaining and meaningful. I think the main message this song converys is the fact that we shouldnt need someone there all the time someone to depend on- sure it is nice having them there but wen it comes down to it it is our own journey and ultimately we all walk the world alone cos at the end of the day we are the only ones who knows exactly wat we want and the we are the only ones who wont and cant let ourselves down.

When my partner of two years left me about a year and a half ago I was a broken person, but listening to this song I would always feel that glimmer of hope and like strength had been injected into my veins. I love it!
thatkindavampireluv
Killjoy
thatkindavampireluv
January 12th, 2010 at 11:01pm
one of my favorite lines, ever

"i see you lying next to me" youre right here, i know it, and most likely asleep, all agreeing with the mikey theory, "with words i thought id never say, awake and unafraid, asleep, or dead" he said something, was saying something, that he couldnt beilive he said, couldnt beilive whether he was awake, afraid, asleep, or even dead

some of my favorite lines

im so glad mikey is still here
Coraline.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Coraline.
March 20th, 2010 at 10:53pm
To me,and this strikes me personally and powerfully.

i am not afraid to keep on living,i am not afraid to walk this world alone.

It show's strength,it shows determination.,to carry on through anything,no matter what life throws at you
And it gives me strength too.

im thinking of getting this tattooed,i really fell inlove with it.
Anetunisha
Killjoy
Anetunisha
March 25th, 2010 at 09:07am
I think that it means that someone's boyfriend or girlfriend is wanting to leave them or something and that the person is okay with that
that they aren't afraid to move on
thats my perspective of the song
zephirus
Killjoy
zephirus
September 15th, 2010 at 08:30am
This kinda goes with all the break up stuff but I've heard that Gerard has been depressed several times and I believe part of this meaning is that he's coming out once again and isn't going to let anything stop him this time, he's not going to let something bring him down again. He's not afraid to keep on living.
Kirino
Killjoy
Kirino
October 26th, 2010 at 01:00pm
Becki-xo-MCR:
There's a positive message in the song; Never give up when things get tough.

Gerard wrote Famous Last Words for Mikey when he was leaving the band during the making of The Black Parade. "Now I know that I can't make you stay, but where's you heart?"
"Now I know there's nothing I can say to change that part..." This suggests to me that Gerard might have said something to Mikey that he regrets. I can't really imagine Gerard being angry with Mikey because they're really close, but he obviously said or did something to him he regrets.
"So many bright lights they cast a shadow" To me this is a metaphor, like all the lights and attention on the band have dark sides, and the dark side he's referring to is that Mikey actually wanted to leave the band.
"But can I speak?" I dunno... Like, can he voice his opinion without being judged by people everywhere, maybe?
"Is it hard understanding i'm incomplete?" He's saying he's incomplete without Mikey in the band.
"A life that's so demanding, I get so weak" Pretty self-explanatory. He gets tired out by being in a band and the centre of attention so much.
"A love that's so demanding" I guess this is about his love for Mikey, and how it's demanding because they are together most of the time doing a hard job.
"I can't speak" He feels like he can't say anything to Mikey to stop him going?
"I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone." He's saying that if Mikey leaves he's not afraid to keep going, even if it will be hard.
"Honey, if you stay i'll be forgiven." Basically he's saying to Mikey "if you stay, it will mean you've forgiven me for what I did/said"
"Nothing you can say can stop me going home" I've always thought this was something Mikey might have said to Gerard when he decided he was leaving the band. So like, Gerard is quoting is words.. perhaps.
"Can you see? My eyes are shining bright, 'cause i'm out here on the other side of a jet black hotel mirror." I always think of this as Gerard saying to Mikey "I made it through a dark time in my life when I was addicted to alcohol and drugs, but I got through it. It's not impossible, like you may think."
"Is it hard understanding i'm incomplete?" Telling Mikey he's a part of him, and he completes the band.
"These bright lights have always blinded me." My interpretation is that all the attention has been alot for him to handle, but he's carrying on anyway.
"I see you lying next to me" Okay, I heard in an interview somewhere... or maybe I read it in one of the MCR books... that when MCR were making The Black Parade in the Paramour place, Mikey was depressed, so he slept on the floor in Gerard's room, next to his bed, so he wasn't alone and able to do anything stupid. So that's why Gerard sees him lying next to him...
"With words I thought I'd never speak" I can only assume that Gerard said something he never thought he'd say, like maybe he told Mikey that he needed to get his shit together because he was letting the band down, or just leave... And those were Gerard's famous last words, because then Mikey decided that he should leave.

Then of course, Mikey heard this song Gerard wrote for him and knew straight away he couldn't leave :')

At the Madison Square Garden concert, Gerard couldn't keep away from Mikey during this song! I guess it was cuz it was always a dream they both shared to play at MSG... And the song must remind them of what the went through to get to that stage! He kept putting his arm round him, and looking into his eyes when he sang the lyrics. Then he picked him up xD It was the cutest thing EVER!

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

In short, to me the meaning of the song is just to stay strong and get through things. Every time I'm down and feel like giving up on a situation I'm in or even on life, this song gets me through. Countless times this song has helped me. MCR really has saved my life, haha!
xoxomycemxoxo
Killjoy
xoxomycemxoxo
October 31st, 2010 at 12:45am
I REALLY dont know what the meaning of the song means... I love it though. The black parade album was their best...... (from my opinion) just sayin
Rorschach Test
Jazz Hands
Rorschach Test
February 14th, 2011 at 07:01pm
Becki-xo-MCR:

"I see you lying next to me" Okay, I heard in an interview somewhere... or maybe I read it in one of the MCR books... that when MCR were making The Black Parade in the Paramour place, Mikey was depressed, so he slept on the floor in Gerard's room, next to his bed, so he wasn't alone and able to do anything stupid. So that's why Gerard sees him lying next to him...

Just a note, the main reason that Mikey was sleeping in Gerard's room was because they believed his room was the haunted room, and it gave everyone a bad feeling to go in there, which made his depression worse.
Rorschach Test
Jazz Hands
Rorschach Test
February 14th, 2011 at 07:01pm
This song is the answer to the despair felt in the previous track. The Patient realizes that regretting and obsessing over what he has no control of is not the way he wants to live out the afterlife. He resolves to make the best of his situation and fight for his sanity and composure. I feel that this song illustrates the gateway to whatever lies beyond, and that if he would have stayed bogged down in despair he would have becom mired down in this in-between world forever. Instead, he blazes through in a fire of resolve and defeats his last enemy: death.
TheResistance
Killjoy
TheResistance
June 17th, 2011 at 12:07am
"Never take anyone's sh!t and never let them take you alive." ~ Gerard

I think that describes this song. After everything they've been through, they still find hope and the will to continue. Smile
Xkilljoy145X
Killjoy
Xkilljoy145X
July 2nd, 2011 at 08:29pm
This song's meaning is generally open for interpretation. When you first hear it it sounds like a desperate song and that the patient is very ready to die. But he is saying that if I live I will live and am not afraid to. This song also shows great courage and determination as the patient seems determined he is not going to die.

Although there are many meanings, a popular one among fans is that the Patient is ready to go to Heaven, and as 'the lights are blinding' him, he appears there, however, when he opens his eyes, he sees him self laying next to his lover. He speaks the words that he never though he would, "I love you/I'm sorry" but he does not know if he is dead or is alive. He then realises that there is nothing to fear in life, only times that he should grieve and that he is "Not afraid to keep on living" and regardless of what could happen, he is "Not afraid to walk this World alone", he will keep going in life no matter what, because he now sees the beauty of it. The two final lyrics are very debatable. There are two ways that this could be taken, that the Patient was allowed to say a final goodbye to his lover and then pass on to the afterlife, whether it is in Hell or Heaven (Now that he is forgiven), or whether he is allowed a 'second chance' for lack of a better phrase. Following the second chance, it seems that the Patient's lover does not yet realise he is going to stay and live, so she says that she will be forgiving of what he has done if he stays, the Patient then replies, maybe even in a jokey sort of way, that there is nothing you can do to stop him living anymore, he is back and is staying. If you follow the fact that these are his 'Famous Last Words' and that he is now going to the afterlife, then his lover would be replying to him saying that she does not want him to go and she will forgive him if he stays, but the Patient has to go, and seals his death by saying that nothing she is able to say will be able to bring him back to life, or as the song says, 'home'. Please note that there are many ways that the song can be interpreted and that this is also open to interpretation, as is any other song and the ending is a very crucial point in the songs meaning, but unless a member speaks out truthfully about what the song means in detail, we will never fully know the Patient's destiny.

In an interview, Gerard Way was quoted as saying, "At first I thought [the patient died], but the more I think about it, the more I think he's not dead. Maybe this is all in his head. Maybe he can fight. Now I think he has a choice to live." The song's meaning is generally open to interpretation, as said before, because its lyrics never really tell one way or the other whether the patient dies.

The last lines of the song imply that the patient's lover is in fact the person who has died. "I see you lying next to me with words I thought I'd never speak" suggests that the Patient's lover is lying next to him in a coffin, as he speaks about her during the funeral service. The line "Awake and unafraid, asleep or dead" is further evidence that the Patient is alive and has entered into some new state of self-perception, that he has cleared himself of regrets. However there is no mention of the Patient's state; whether he has recovered from his illness or not.
FuckReality.
Killjoy
FuckReality.
July 4th, 2011 at 02:06am
Becki-xo-MCR:
There's a positive message in the song; Never give up when things get tough.

Gerard wrote Famous Last Words for Mikey when he was leaving the band during the making of The Black Parade. "Now I know that I can't make you stay, but where's you heart?"
"Now I know there's nothing I can say to change that part..." This suggests to me that Gerard might have said something to Mikey that he regrets. I can't really imagine Gerard being angry with Mikey because they're really close, but he obviously said or did something to him he regrets.
"So many bright lights they cast a shadow" To me this is a metaphor, like all the lights and attention on the band have dark sides, and the dark side he's referring to is that Mikey actually wanted to leave the band.
"But can I speak?" I dunno... Like, can he voice his opinion without being judged by people everywhere, maybe?
"Is it hard understanding I'm incomplete?" He's saying he's incomplete without Mikey in the band.
"A life that's so demanding, I get so weak" Pretty self-explanatory. He gets tired out by being in a band and the centre of attention so much.
"A love that's so demanding" I guess this is about his love for Mikey, and how it's demanding because they are together most of the time doing a hard job.
"I can't speak" He feels like he can't say anything to Mikey to stop him going?
"I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone." He's saying that if Mikey leaves he's not afraid to keep going, even if it will be hard.
"Honey, if you stay i'll be forgiven." Basically he's saying to Mikey "if you stay, it will mean you've forgiven me for what I did/said"
"Nothing you can say can stop me going home" I've always thought this was something Mikey might have said to Gerard when he decided he was leaving the band. So like, Gerard is quoting is words.. perhaps.
"Can you see? My eyes are shining bright, 'cause i'm out here on the other side of a jet black hotel mirror." I always think of this as Gerard saying to Mikey "I made it through a dark time in my life when I was addicted to alcohol and drugs, but I got through it. It's not impossible, like you may think."
"Is it hard understanding i'm incomplete?" Telling Mikey he's a part of him, and he completes the band.
"These bright lights have always blinded me." My interpretation is that all the attention has been alot for him to handle, but he's carrying on anyway.
"With words I thought I'd never speak" I can only assume that Gerard said something he never thought he'd say, like maybe he told Mikey that he needed to get his shit together because he was letting the band down, or just leave... And those were Gerard's famous last words, because then Mikey decided that he should leave.

Then of course, Mikey heard this song Gerard wrote for him and knew straight away he couldn't leave :')

At the Madison Square Garden concert, Gerard couldn't keep away from Mikey during this song! I guess it was cuz it was always a dream they both shared to play at MSG... And the song must remind them of what the went through to get to that stage! He kept putting his arm round him, and looking into his eyes when he sang the lyrics. Then he picked him up xD It was the cutest thing EVER!

That is amazingly accurate. I think the part where he says 'I see you lying next to me, with words I thought I'd never speak, awake and unafraid, asleep or dead' is pretty much saying that Gee had Mikey sleeping next to him, and that when they were awake, they weren't afraid of the hotels frights as much, but when they were asleep, it was hard to tell if they really were asleep or dead Shocked Also, they words he would never speak, are probably when Gee woke up and spoke his nightmares into a tape recorder, and he said 'Feels as if, someones gripping my throat' and he never thought he'd say that. (And yes, 'Sleep' also relates to the Paramore experience.')

Also, just saying. In an interview, apparently [I HAVE NO PROOF OF THIS] after MCR's stay, a band that had stayed in the Paramore met up with MCR at some point, and someone said 'Who had the blue room?' and Mikey (had the blue room) put his face into his hands, and Gerard nudged the guy with his elbows and mouthed 'No'. Hah, just found that interesting to add :3
xXBlackXWhiteXx
Killjoy
xXBlackXWhiteXx
October 24th, 2011 at 06:06pm
I think it shows a person who is comeing to terms with there lover leaving them.
lovemcrsomuch
Killjoy
lovemcrsomuch
December 23rd, 2011 at 11:22am
I love this song Surprised)
lovemcrsomuch
Killjoy
lovemcrsomuch
December 23rd, 2011 at 11:22am
Smile
My Sweet Revenge14
Killjoy
My Sweet Revenge14
February 14th, 2012 at 11:04pm
What I honestly think it means is that you shouldn't be scared of anything even if it seems really hard.The part were it says"I am not afraid to keep on living I am not afraid to walk this world alone"and "awake and unafraid asleep or dead" to me is saying what I wrote on the top.They have encouraged so many people that it also seems like something that they would say. Smile