Don't have an account? Create one!

Mikey's Comic Book

AuthorMessage
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
November 15th, 2008 at 06:46pm
toshiko sato:
Meh. I only bought it to read Mikey's and I'm not ashamed of that - I'm not into comic books and that's not about to change just so I'm accepted into the comic book fandom, tbqh.

- No offence intended to anyone.

I'm the same.
I bought it to support Mikey.
*hides with Jenny under a rock*
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 15th, 2008 at 08:39pm
Don't be ashamed of that. I mean, I only picked up TUA because James Jean did the cover -- I'd never even heard of Gerard at that time. Getting the book to support Mikey is fine, and if anyone at the comic shop gave you shit for it, I hope you told them where they can go and how they can get there. I can't even tell you how many comics I own that I purchased simply to support an artist who has given time or auctionable items to our charity, (glances at the "Strangers In Paradise" set I dropped $50 on after working with Terry Moore 2 years ago -- and I *still* haven't had time to read it!) and I have no problem buying books done by people I know, because I want to support them as much as anyone here wants to support Mikey.

Jules and I were talking more from the aspect of people reading Mikey's book, or The Umbrella Academy for that matter, and slathering it in undue praise simply *because* it was written by Mikey or Gerard -- rather than put that aside and give it an unbiased review.

I've read books given to me by friends who then ask my opinion on the book because they know I will read it and give *honest* feedback. I have no problem giving praise when praise is due, but more importantly will also critique and give suggestions if warranted, to strengthen the story. It's infinitely more important to be open and fair and help them learn and grow than simply fawn all over it. An editor will have no qualms whatsoever ripping it apart, and certainly won't bother trying to spare feelings when writing a rejection letter.
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
November 16th, 2008 at 07:39am
I totally agree with Tabs,. I mean I liked a few comics before TUA came out, but I bought it because Gerard wrote it. I like it, howver, as I think it's actually a solid piece of writing and artwork. I wouldn't say it's my favourite comic, and I can point out its faults, but the impulse I bought it on was that Gerard wrote it.

I haven't recieved the collection Mikey's is in yet, Forbidden Plant refuses to ship items seprarately, but yeah I am buying it because of Mikey, but I also love comics.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 16th, 2008 at 09:50am
^^ But what I'm saying is you don't fall all over yourself when talking about TUA because you don't want to say anything negative about Gerard. You understand that it does, in fact, for all that it's won awards and such, have its faults and there are places it could have been stronger and less predictable. Yes, I adore TUA and I can tell you *why*, not just "OMG ITS SOOOO AWESUM BC GERARD IS SOOO HOT AND AMAZEING!!!"

Same with Mikey's story. It's a good first effort but it has a few places that could have been done better, there were some places I could tell an editor had ripped out content for pacing because it didn't flow as smoothly, and so on. It's not liquid gold just because Mikey wrote it -- it's good, it was one of the better stories in the collection, and its a good first effort. But he has a long way to go before he makes it a full career -- if he does at all -- and tbh it's obvious to any comics fan that it was a labor of love probably published because he's a celebrity, nothing more.
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
November 17th, 2008 at 07:44am
What Tabs said! There is no shame in picking up a book because Mikey or Gerard or Frank wrote or suggested it. I will freely admit I have gotten into a couple books because Gerard referenced them and a few bands because of Frank and Gerard.

No one is saying anyone has to be "into" comics to appreciate Gerard and/or Mikey's book. No one is saying that you should be ashamed or whathaveyou for purchasing either comic because a Way was involved.

Tabs and I were referring to the swoon reviews because Mikey and Gerard are "so damn hot." It is degrading to both men. Apologies to anyone offended.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
November 17th, 2008 at 10:11am
I personally think the Seance is that damn hot, and that's the real reason I subscribe! LOL No, of course there is a difference between checking something out because you are familiar with and like the author, illustrator, composer or whatnot and fawning all over it in a completely biased manner. I am not THAT well-schooled in the world of comics (that'd be Tabs' department) but I know enough and as a fellow writer, I know when something flows or it doesn't. I happen to like TUA. I happen to be a fan of dark story and sardonic wit, and the characters are interesting to me. Regarding Mikey's Batman story, the ending made me laugh, and I appreciated the fact that the antagonist's name was Crane. That's about all the useful input I can come up with at this time LOL but I do think Mikey has some talent for writing and that's all he needs to hear, right?
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 17th, 2008 at 10:24am
^^ I too enjoyed seeing Ichabod Crane played by Jonathan Crane, an interesting and fun choice. Had a good little giggle over that one, I did.
the sharpest lives.
Shotgun Sinner
the sharpest lives.
November 29th, 2008 at 09:35pm
Wow, I did not know Mikey did this.
I'm really interested to read his writing.
I think I'll still enjoy TUA more, because I love the characters Gerard created.
Scans?
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
December 3rd, 2008 at 12:12pm
the sharpest lives.:
Wow, I did not know Mikey did this.
I'm really interested to read his writing.
I think I'll still enjoy TUA more, because I love the characters Gerard created.
Scans?

Posting scans of copyright material that people worked damn hard on and deserve recognition for is not going to be very likely on this board I'm afraid.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
December 3rd, 2008 at 11:11pm
^^ Thank you and ILY.