Don't have an account? Create one!

Victoria's Bushfires.

AuthorMessage
Kat Von D.
Fabulous Killjoy
Kat Von D.
February 7th, 2009 at 05:23pm
On Saturday 7th of Feb, victoria suffered some of the worse bushfire ever, even worse then ash wednesday.

Share your stories.

I have friends who lived in the area of bendigo, and have not been able to reach them. Sad
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 8th, 2009 at 02:07am
Well, I've had fires in my suburb. There are fires 35km away from our property in Jeparit. There are fires 20 minutes away from my dad's girlfriend's place. Another friend in Kilmore has fires threatening her property. But worst of all, my friend in Yea has fires coming at her property from all sides. With all the roads blocked off, she has no way of getting out if the fires get to her. Her family is currently fighting the fire off her property.

Yeah, feeling it pretty badly down here.
differant.
Shotgun Sinner
differant.
February 8th, 2009 at 03:23am
R.I.P to the 65 people who lost their lives. I really hope that these fires get under control soon. and i really hope that they catch whoever started them.

my Nana lives in Drouin, and they had a warning to get ready today; they may have to evacuate the town at any moment. she woke up with burnt bark and embers in her garden
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 8th, 2009 at 03:56am
They said the people charged with arson might be charged with murder? Excuse me, but might? Bloody oath they should. And they should be charged with animal cruelty for all the lives of our native species that they destroyed, the homes of the wildlife that they took away.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 8th, 2009 at 05:12am
There's an incident summary here for anyone concerned about particular areas.
Hayley Williams
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Hayley Williams
February 8th, 2009 at 07:10am
My mums friend has lost some of her family in Bendigo.
The field behind my best friends house caught fire =/ and the brigade came and put it out.

and my other friend moved to Trarlgon and nobody has been able to reach her.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 8th, 2009 at 06:48pm
If anyone can afford it, please please donate to Wildlife Victoria. As devastating as this is for us on a personal level, it's devastating our wildlife even more. We've lost 1000 grey headed flying foxes alone in the last 2 days. We've lost 2 wildlife shelters with several more threatened. We won't even know the devastation it has caused until the firs have burnt itself out. There's not much any of us can do save give our money to help those with enough training to aid our wildlife.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 8th, 2009 at 10:16pm

This is absolutely horrible. I hope everybody here who is close to fires (and your loved ones) stays safe ):
I personally don't really know anybody involved, thankfully. Just a few friends-of friends, who are mainly safe, but there's a couple who can't be contacted at all ):

I was watching Sunrise this mornind, and it was absolutely heartbreaking seeing all these people who have lost absolutely everything telling their stories.
There was one man who couldn't get in contact with his wife and three children, and the amount of grief he was going through was unbearable to see.
Then they were talking about another man who was putting his kids in the car so they could make a run for it, he turned around to put something else in, and in the time he turned away, the car had gone up in flames.
I know there's sooo many more stories like this, but those are the main two that stuck in my head.

As for the arsonists, they should definitely be charged with murder. Even K-Rudd said they are "mass murderers", so they deserve everything they get.
In an article I read earlier, one guy said something along the lines of 'they (the arsonists) better hope the police get to them before anybody else does', and while I should probably be more on the law's side seeing as I'm a law student, if the police don't have the evidence they need to charge them with murder, well I fucking hope they get caught by others and get what they deserve.
I just can't get it through my head why anybody would deliberately light a bushfire, especially with the weather like it has been.
I hope these sick fucks get charged with multiple counts of murder, and as Rhiannon said, multiple counts of animal cruelty, along with all the stuff to do with property etc. Basically, everything anybody can think to charge them with tbh.
differant.
Shotgun Sinner
differant.
February 8th, 2009 at 11:08pm
so, does anyone else think that the $950 the government was planning to give out should be used instead to help rebuild these peoples homes and lives? makes a lot more sense really.

i can't believe the current death toll. 107. that is scary. so many of them are children. i really hope they can put the fires out. i desperately hope that no more lives are lost
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 8th, 2009 at 11:15pm

It's actually 126, according to Channel 7, 10, and ninemsn.com.au
sookeh.
Crash Queen
sookeh.
February 8th, 2009 at 11:18pm
Moss:
the government is giving aid to the fire victims.
i think it is around $1000 per adult, and $400 per child.
and i think there was another lot of money, but i forgot what it was for.
i heard this on the tv this morning, so i could have got the figures wrong,
but it was something like that. (:

the death toll went up again?
god, this is so horrible, i can't really get my mind around it all.
i hope they can put them out soon. D:
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 8th, 2009 at 11:24pm

Yeah, that's the amounts the government is giving individuals, and there is more that I can't actually remember.
The state governments are all chipping in a bit too, as well as various organisations like banks, and I know that Cricket Australia + Cricket South Australia have donated a fair bit too.
Even with how tragic this whole thing is, it's good to see that people still care enough to help out, even if they aren't affected at all.

Yeah, it's just been raised from 108 to 126, and they're estimating that it could end up being around 230. It's so sad D:

Also, apparently somebody has been trying to reignite some of the fires that are contained. Not sure if this is 100% confirmed, but my god that is just fucking sick.
What the fuck is wrong with these people?
Catharsis
Jazz Hands
Catharsis
February 9th, 2009 at 12:04am
i live in bendigo, and it is truely amazing seeing the damage that only two people died. Unfortunately for the residents who lost their homes ,as a town we were totally unprepared as the majority of our fire fighting appliances left the area just a few hours before the fire started to help with the fires in the Kilmore region, meaning the town was very undermanned.
The CFA were still trying to contain it and there were people caught trying to reignite areas that had been put out and light areas close by which were at that time safe. It really makes you wonder what is going through the minds of these arsonists who can act this way, people like that should be locked up and the key thrown away cos obviously they are a danger to society.
By far the scariest thing i have ever seen, kudos to all the cfa, ses, red cross, dse persons for their efforts
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 9th, 2009 at 12:38am
I heard about that. It's fucking sick. It makes me so angry.

I've spent the last 2 days crying, worrying about friends, about our property, fighting with people over the issue, getting angry at the arsonists. I feel so emotionally drained that I want to sleep for a week. It's unfathomable. Yet we have floods in Queensland. What the fuck?

The death toll is over 130 now, and it rising by the minute. It's the worst 'natural' disaster Australia has ever had.

I really have no words for how I feel about it. I just can't believe it. I can't believe that anyone would do this. For crying out loud, we've had volunteer fire fighters lighting fires just so they could get a ride on a fire truck. Fucking hell.

Cameron was telling me that IBM (where he works) is immediately donating $250,000. I donated $60 to wildlife Victoria and Cameron matched it. I've been trying to get more people to donate and some have been compassionate enough to. It's heart warming to see that there are some good people left in all of this.
Hayley Williams
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Hayley Williams
February 9th, 2009 at 06:05am
The death toll has risen again.
its so tragic.

fuck.
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
February 9th, 2009 at 07:59am
This is just fucking horrible.
I donated $20 to Red Cross & the same to Wildlife Victoria.
And I'm praying that the fires get put out soon.

It's just sick.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 9th, 2009 at 06:17pm
Sez, thank you so much. Really, I almost cry every time someone tells me they've donated to Wildlife Victoria. They're so badly under-represented in all of this.

I got woken up last night when mum turned my light on. Found out this morning what it was about. She had a dream we were in the fire and woke up, trying to get us out of the house. She was looking for the dogs in the dark and tripped over something, she's cut and bruised her leg. It was when she saw me lying in bed that she realised it was a dream. She broke down crying when telling me this morning, saying she can't believe how lucky we are. The death toll is over 170 now.

I think right now every emotion has been taken over by disbelief.

The fires are still threatening Yea where a friend of mine can't get out, and we can't even contact another friend.

And now the fire is heading toward Healesville. They have a breeding program there for the hairy nosed wombat which is severely endangered, so if it hits there we might very well lose the entire population.
spencer smith.
Devil's Got Your Number
spencer smith.
February 10th, 2009 at 12:15am
25.7 million dollars have been donated to the Red Cross!
As horrible and disgusting as this whole thing is, that's so beautiful, that so much of Australia is donating money to help out <3
I just wish there was more we could do.
omg stfu
Demolition Lover
omg stfu
February 10th, 2009 at 12:27am
I can't even imagine what you are all going through. I've been sitting here watching the news and I just can't wrap my head around this.

I hope you all contact your friends and loved ones, and that you all stay safe. <3
differant.
Shotgun Sinner
differant.
February 10th, 2009 at 12:50am
the fires are getting really close to my Nana. She lives in Warragal, which is literally 10 minutes away from Drouin (she used to live there), which is currently on fire.

The wind is really messing things up. Tiny fires are starting all over the place and just growing. I can't believe there's a huge one in Healesville now...and the one in Churchhill was defaintly arson. Gah.

On another note, did anyone listen to Fox or Triple M this morning? The radio stations combined to raise money. I donated all my savings and my mum donated money as well...under normal circumstances it would be awesome to be on the radio, but this was just fucked, I just didn't care. In the end they raised about $800,000.

It's all so emotional. Everyone I talk has been affected, with directly or not. It's just fucked.