Don't have an account? Create one!

Victoria's Bushfires.

AuthorMessage
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 10th, 2009 at 05:44am
This both scares me and makes me relieved that they're doing something.

The Healesville fires are scaring me, from a Zoologists perspective.

My Uni finally sent an email out about it. At least 1 staff member has died in the fire, but they won't say who it is. There's 45,000 students and 7000 staff members in affected areas.

And there's fires in Rosebud and Wilson's Promontory, both places we were going on holidays next week. It scares me. That could of been us. It could be us.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
February 10th, 2009 at 10:40am
Have all of the Australian regulars on INO been accounted for? You guys need to check in. And if any of you loses anything, or needs help, tell us and we will try to organize something.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 10th, 2009 at 07:21pm

Thanks Steff, it means a lot.
I'm fairly sure all the Aussie regulars who are in areas close to the fires are safe, thank god.
differant.
Shotgun Sinner
differant.
February 11th, 2009 at 03:09am
I know this seems like the over used phrase at the moment, but seriously, please do donate. I donated my savings, which was only about $500, but considering it will take a couple of hundred thousand to rebuild each house, they're going to need all the funding they can get.

By the way Rh!annon, they evacuated Healesville Zoo a couple of days ago, so hopefully all the animals are alright. Did anyone see that photo of the man giving the koala water? That image just broke my heart.

I saw footage today of a house sitting halfway up a hill. In literally 10 seconds (no joke) the fire that had started at the base of the hill had already engulfed the house. The stories coming from this are just awful.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
February 11th, 2009 at 08:23am
Hi there, I'm sure I've long past my expiration date on this board, and half of you won't know who I am/remember me, however...
When I heard about the bushfires, the Victorians (and those from NSW too) from this board were the first people I thought of.
I pray that not one user, or their friends and families, have been directly affected by this devastating time.
Please, please keep safe and strong.
I know I have a few of you on Facebook/Myspace, but I just wanted to let you all know that I have you guys in my thoughts, and as part of the rest of the country, will do my part in supporting you all. <333
sookeh.
Crash Queen
sookeh.
February 11th, 2009 at 04:10pm
that's so sweet jules <3333333
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 11th, 2009 at 06:24pm
It's hard to know if everyone is accounted for, or if people just haven't been online.

We heard from one of our family friends in Whittlesea, she lost everything. Managed to get 6 horses out but lost the rest of them. They got the 6 out and were told the fire was 50k away. They decided to hose the house down, but within 5 minutes the fire was at their doorstep. They ran in the house and through to the back paddock. She and her boyfriend had to stand in the paddock with the dead horses and watch their house burn down.

Another of our friends is right where they're trying to build a containment line. She keeps saying it's like a warzone. So surreal.

I did see that they'd evacuated it. Thankfully. And now they're on top of the fire, which is a relief. The Willson's Prom one is still burning, which is of pretty significant importance where conservation is concerned. They're estimating that we've lost a million native animals now. It's in every paper. This is one of the many stories.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 11th, 2009 at 11:29pm

My friends and I got together today and donated a whole heap of money to the bushfire appeal.
It's not much, because none of us work full time/we go to uni, but hopefully it'll help a little.
Of the money we pooled, $150 is going to Wildlife Victoria. Just thought I'd mention that because Rhiannon is the reason I actually knew about them, so yeah.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 12th, 2009 at 12:07am
Asha, thank you so so much. That's really good of you and your friends, on both accounts.

This has changed one thing for me. I'm not going to worry much about becoming a feline biologist in my immediate future. I was torn, but now I'm definitely staying here to help recover the wildlife. This is going to be so long and ongoing that it will still be a major issue long after I've graduated from my bachelor degree and done honours.

I can't believe how quickly we've got to 50 million dollars with the bushfire appeal. It's so amazing how people have rallied. Though it's constantly soured by tales of more arson and looting.
kayles
Bleeding on the Floor
kayles
February 12th, 2009 at 05:52am
ive been pushing my family to donate to the victoria wildlife and explaining to them that the animals are also loosing their houses, to which my aunty arrogantly replied "yes but you dont understand, people are loosing their houses and everything they ever built" i was like yes and the animals just holiday in the bush so its no loss to them.. but anyway, im going to be donating to the victoria wildlife as soon as my parents get paid this week
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 12th, 2009 at 06:48pm
Absolute champ. Smile I don't understand attitudes like your aunts. But I've come across that attitude a lot in the last few days, unfortunately. I'm so exhausted just from arguing against it that I'm at the "whatever" point.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 12th, 2009 at 09:24pm
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 12th, 2009 at 10:29pm
They arrested two people yesterday over it, too, but they let them go without charging them. They're being really secretive now, but I guess they have to be so people don't go attacking the wrong person.

Did you guys watch the Appeal last night? Fucking Eddie can't get his head on TV without mentioning Collingwood.

There's smoke covering my court now, and the stench of the fire is right through my house. It's kinda scary.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 12th, 2009 at 11:05pm

The two yesterday just got arrested for 'acting suspiciously' though, it wasn't in direct relation to any of the fires.
Actually, did they even get arrested as such? I heard they were being questioned, but I don't remember hearing they were actually arrested.

I completely forgot about the appeal tbh, though I heard this morning that over $20 million was raised.
Stuff like this, how everybody is rallying around to help the victims of the fires, really makes me proud to be Australian.

I really, really hope you stay safe, Rhiannon <333
It must be so scary, I'm so sorry ):
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 13th, 2009 at 12:09am
I think they were arrested? That's what the news said, anyway. I heard arrested, questioned, released without charge. Hopefully they gave the cops some good info.

Found out today that the fire destroyed Bruno Torf's artwork, taking over 300 paintings and sculptures. In the forests he'd carved sculptures out of trees, the most amazing ones I've ever seen. And now it's gone. It's so so sad. You guys should look up pics of his artwork, or PM me your email and I'll email you the pics when I get back. Just stunning stuff.

I'll be okay here. There's enough houses and few enough trees that it can't spread too quickly. Don't really feel worried enough to start packing. The Ivanhoe fire is about 20 minutes from my house. It's so eerie. The ground right now is red because all the smoke is blotting out the sun. I can understand now how it turned day to night where the fires are. I mean, if it's this bad 20 minutes away, I can't imagine how bad it would be right at the fire.

We got a call before and our holiday at Wilson's Prom is off. They're not risking having campers in the area, so now we have to quickly find somewhere else to camp for Cam's holiday. Hopefully somewhere far away from the fires.

On that note, I'm disappearing for the next week. I hope everyone stays safe. *hugs for all*
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
February 15th, 2009 at 11:47pm
I read in the paper today that some child flew from Canberra to donate the $500 that his primary school had raised to the wildlife fund.

It's really great how much the rest of Australia is getting behind this, I think.
yilujayss
Fabulous Killjoy
yilujayss
February 22nd, 2009 at 04:10am
sez:
I read in the paper today that some child flew from Canberra to donate the $500 that his primary school had raised to the wildlife fund.

It's really great how much the rest of Australia is getting behind this, I think.
I agree, this fire was a huge disaster and with the floods up in QLD its good to see that the country as a whole help people in need.

Didn't they catch a guy who started one of the fires?