Don't have an account? Create one!

Privacy of Photos on the Internet

AuthorMessage
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 12th, 2009 at 08:29am
Yes, I suppose. But they should ask the person for permission first.
My friend's a photographer. She usually only does wildlife and landscapes, but if she does take a photo of a person, she asks for permission first.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
April 12th, 2009 at 04:43pm
^ that would be really great, but I can't see the paparazi that camp outside of some celebreties house asks premission first before attacking them with the camera
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
April 12th, 2009 at 09:04pm
Decimated Stars:
frank iero!:

sometimes its not even friends, just a radnom stranger or whatever. And obviously you can't go through deleting every picture and some pictures are just a good joke, but thats kinda what the whole thing is, there really is very little privacy now-a-days and its appauling in some paparzzi cases, like when Nadia Suleman brought home the first of the octopulets to be discharged, the paparzzi attacked her car with her babies inside it. Shouldn't there be some line that people just can't cross just for a picture?

dude, i agree. princess diana's car crashed in a mad dash to get away from paparazzi.
i just think it's naive to think, that if a photo is interesting in some way, and it's on the internet, that people
aren't going to spread it. i'm not saying it's ~right, i'm saying it's what happens.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 13th, 2009 at 07:17am
Decimated Stars:
^ that would be really great, but I can't see the paparazi that camp outside of some celebreties house asks premission first before attacking them with the camera

I know. And I completely disagree with paparazzi. I don't think they should be allowed.
If your regular Joe went around taking pictures of other regular Joe's he could be arrested. And called a perve. But it's perfectly okay for a paparazzi to do it. It doens't make sense.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
April 13th, 2009 at 12:56pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
But what about photographers rights? Photography is an art form, surely the photographer has rights over the image they have created.

I'm pretty sure that in the case of human subjects, releases are supposed to be given by before their images can be used publicly - the lack of which has resulted in many a successful lawsuit. When I interview people, I always get them to give me permission on tape to use the footage. Once this permission has been given, the images are now solely mine. Gossip sites provide both press and money for the celebrities who need it, so they tend to get away with questionable behavior.

This being said, similar behavior can be witnessed at the scene of a crime or accident - those subjects aren't celebrities, so how do we justify the exploitative behavior of the photographers and journalists in those instances? Yes, journalists are just as bad; they pry, they speculate, they incite rumors.

I tend to side with the subject who occasionally winds up assaulting the press for invading their space. I'm not saying that violence is the answer, but my goodness, you try functioning with six cameras trained two inches from your face every time you leave the house, people lurking behind bushes, harassing your family members in the grocery store or getting a hold of private numbers and grilling whoever is on the other end of the line! This behavior is also encouraging that which we deem "teenieism" by the way.

Reality television, as entertaining as it is, has exacerbated the situation further by fostering the belief that people WANT you to delve into their personal lives and create spectacles out of them. My biggest issue with the press, and the human race in general, is that a sizable chunk of the population appears to have lost their sense of boundaries. The lack of respect, courtesy or empathy for others is very disturbing to me.

A celebrity is fair game when they are attending an event at which they are expecting to be photographed, not when they are attempting to simply conduct their lives. As Jules asked, at what point is a person entitled to privacy here? Just because a person chooses to play a sport, be a thespian or a musician doesn't mean that they have forfeited this right under all circumstances, does it? The only exception to me are politicians - they are public servants, and therefore subject, quite rightly, to public scrutiny, but even in their case, some respect should be given during personal family affairs.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
April 13th, 2009 at 03:27pm
^^ So police officers, fire fighters ect should expect to be subject to public scrutiny too?

there all classed as public servants
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
April 13th, 2009 at 03:45pm
^ I don't think politicians should be subject to public scrutiny in terms of the media harrasment celebrities receive, nor should firefighters or police officers.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
April 14th, 2009 at 01:45am
John St. John:
^^ So police officers, fire fighters ect should expect to be subject to public scrutiny too? there all classed as public servants

They are actually held up to stricter standards of off-duty behavior than other civil servants are, but I don't think it's fair. The issue with politicians is that they have their hands in the public's cookie jars.
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
April 24th, 2009 at 09:50am
i dont think its right when pictures of a celebrity private life get put on the interent liek a normal person and then stupid
over excited fans go and copy it and before you know its in the papers and everything.

it doesnt matter if its liek a photoshoot picture
coz they're suposed to get put on the internet to expand popularity.
bellamurte
Killjoy
bellamurte
May 2nd, 2009 at 01:30pm
It's not exactly MCR, or photo's but it's to do with privicy and exactly why teenie fangirls irratate me.
Has anyone ever heard the song Streetcar by Funeral For a Friend -it's a fantastic song if you haven't listened to it-
The band had an idea during the recording process for that particular song, to make the beginning sound like a phonecall as if the song was being played down the phone to somone. So one of them -I think it was the lead singer but don't quote me- picked up the phone in the recording studio and recorded himself dileing home, then hung up after his girlfriend answered, song kicks in.
The thing they didn't consider was that each song on the keypad of a phone has a different dial tone. Fans sat there and worked out which tone belonged to wich number and started calling his house at all times of the day and night to the point, they just cancelled that phone number.
What started out as a completely innocent act turned into what must have been abit of a nightmare.
It's also the reason Avenged Sevenfold don't like playing the UK, and don't bring anything big and extravagant with them. When they used to bring all their showgirls and stuff a girl managed to convince security she was also a dancer after a show one night, so they let her on the bus. The band agreed to let her stay until they reached their next destination and she demanded they took her home -which they couldn't- she ended up getting really freaked out and called the police.
Which now ruins it for us, because they are reserved about comming here, and really, all I wanna do is see a band I love.

But regarding images from peoples childhood
I think what happens sometimes is sometimes magazines -I've seen Kerrang do it before- run an article where they include pictures of musisians as they're growing up. It's usually something to do with their background. I don't think they really would have got those pictures without asking permission first. And being honest, if I was in a band and someone wrote that kinda article on me I'd proberbly let them have one or two pictures of me as a child. But not my entire family album.

How long did it take Frank and Jamia's wedding pictures to leak out, no time at all. We proberbly saw them before they did, and thats not fair, and I think thats when laws start needing to be inforced, especillay about getting up in peoples faces and camping outside their houses.
The only downside is, how the hell would they police that?
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 2nd, 2009 at 09:17pm
The rumours are that the photos of Frank and Jamia's wedding were actually leaked by Frank himself. A form of damage limitation I guess.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 2nd, 2009 at 11:09pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
The rumours are that the photos of Frank and Jamia's wedding were actually leaked by Frank himself.
I've always suspected as much, anyway.

bellamurte:
Fans sat there and worked out which tone belonged to wich number and started calling his house at all times of the day and night
That's fucking insane, but not really that surprising.
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
May 2nd, 2009 at 11:17pm
Mmm I read about that Funeral of a Friend song when that happens.
It's insane what people will do to talk to their celebrity crush, or even just to get a photo with them.

Although, once you reach stardom, you have to accept that photographs will be taken of you, and not just while you're on the red carpet. But it has gone past extreme now. Today's media are savage, and will do just about anything to get a photo of a cleebrity, especially when they're looking at their worst.
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
May 3rd, 2009 at 10:27am
But it goes beyond the media. It is edited (some of) the fans and their expectations. Some fans believe they own the band lock, stock and barrel. Some fans believe they are entitled to a personal relationship, that the band must become who the fan believes them to be. Some fans believe they are entitled to baby pictures and private moments.

edited.
bellamurte
Killjoy
bellamurte
May 22nd, 2009 at 07:10am
jules:
But it goes beyond the media. It is the fans and their expectations. The fans believe they own the band lock, stock and barrel. The fans believe they are entitled to a personal relationship, that the band must become who the fan believes them to be. The fans believe they are entitled to baby pictures and private moments.

I wanna say "NO I DON'T"
I don't believe I have the right to see like, pictures of their kids or anything. But I know that the curiosity will all be there, like when little baby way is born, god knows weather they'll actually leak a picture of her but I'd love to see her, not because I'm some crazy perv but because I've loved them for so long I wanna see the beauty they can inflict in the world
But I'm not gonna chase them like a crazy lunatic to get hold of it, I'm completely okay if I never see a picture of her.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 22nd, 2009 at 09:44am
bellamurte:
when little baby way is born, god knows weather they'll actually leak a picture of her but I'd love to see her But I'm not gonna chase them like a crazy lunatic to get hold of it, I'm completely okay if I never see a picture of her.
How do you know it's a girl?
bellamurte
Killjoy
bellamurte
June 5th, 2009 at 04:26am
Deb:
How do you know it's a girl?

I don't I'm just guessing
They still haven't said the sex of it yet

Edit: I have just discovered that she is a little girl.
It was a fifty fifty chance as to which she'd have, lucky guess I presume
I've always hoped she would be though
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
June 5th, 2009 at 11:10am
^ Haha yeah NOW we know that, we just didn't before she was born. I figured this thread would start up again now.
Jenny.
Jenny.
June 5th, 2009 at 05:16pm
Guys, if you want to discuss Bandit there's a thread. Don't do it here please.
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
June 9th, 2009 at 12:26pm
Celebrities have basically no privacy as it is - if a picture of them is up on the internet, it will get copied or saved to millions of people's desktops. With any kind of pictures, once they're on the internet, it's basically fair game for anyone with access. There's not much that can be done.