Don't have an account? Create one!

Comment on the Photograph Above.

AuthorMessage
James Owen. Sullivan
Banned
James Owen. Sullivan
May 11th, 2009 at 06:49am
Similar to the "comment on t he graphic above" thread, this thread is for constructive criticism, although for photographers.
The concept of the thread is for photographers to post one of their photos, one they're unsure of, and the next user gives a pro and a con about that photo, and posts their own.
(Just to clarify, this is for photography, not things like "Should I use this photo for my myspace?!"Wink
Also, it's better to post the photo as a thumbnail linking to the full-sized photo , so the page doesn't stretch.
This thread was approved

Exposure.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Exposure.
May 11th, 2009 at 06:51am
i enjoy the lighting ^

James Owen. Sullivan
Banned
James Owen. Sullivan
May 11th, 2009 at 07:02am
^just to clarify, as I stated in the rules (and was told to emphasise when I asked to make the thread), you have to put a pro and a con, as in the Comment on the Graphic Above thread.

Pro: The shot is really creative, I love the use of blues and the emotion in the eyes
Con: The whites on the nose and around the forhead are maybe a bit too contrasted...

followill.
In The Murder Scene
followill.
May 11th, 2009 at 11:35am
Pros: I love the idea and the colours are very crisp.
Cons: Maybe not as centered? idk, but I think it's a really good picture. (:

Xavey Stars
Motor Baby
Xavey Stars
May 11th, 2009 at 03:35pm
Pros: The colors are so vibrant, they're really eye-catching
Cons:...I can't really think of anything

Nutella With Forks
Motor Baby
Nutella With Forks
May 11th, 2009 at 04:15pm
Pro: I find it a really warm shot, and its interesting. :]
Con: I'd love the focus to be on her lips, because they're a beautiful colour.

thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 11th, 2009 at 05:34pm
This seems to have been taken with a camera phone? Or a low-res digital camera, so I am not sure if you'd be able to implement any suggestions but I'll say them anyway.

It's a great shot, firstly. Sunset shots are a dime a dozen, and while this may not be the most original, it still gives a great sense of serenity and thought. It really seems to have a story. Plus it's nice to have something to look at besides the horizon.

That being said, your silhouettes are not quite silhouettes, lol. While the glow of red in the hair is good because it defines two separate people and is a nice shock of color, the rest of the bodies - the hoodie, the legs, etc. - need to be darker. I wouldn't advise doing this in post-processing because it's too easy to mess up if you aren't experienced in both photography and photoshop. It's something that you should aim to do in-camera. I'll spare you the details since I am not sure if you can use them, but if you want to know, PM me.

OMG I am going to be flooding this thread. I apologize in advance.

This is technically three images, but I would like it to be regarded as one piece if you don't mind, and remember the white lines are kinda meant to be viewed on white:

Exposure.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Exposure.
May 11th, 2009 at 07:23pm
Pros= the detail is really good
cons= its a bit too dark in my opinion

high drama.
Awake and Unafraid
high drama.
May 12th, 2009 at 03:23am
pros: good exposure (exept the one to the left is a bit over-exposured on the top) and white balance, good angles.
cons: i don't think the photo-assembly brings out the best of them. to be honest, i don't really get it. why the different sizes? but maybe it's just me

James Owen. Sullivan
Banned
James Owen. Sullivan
May 12th, 2009 at 03:42am
pros: I love the way it's done as a whole, the contrast, the everything.
cons: hmm, maybe I would've done it so that the house were a little more to the left in the photo, just a little bit.

high drama.
Awake and Unafraid
high drama.
May 12th, 2009 at 07:35am
pros: great colors, nice depth of field
cons: i'd like the flowers to be a little bit more to the right, because i really like the "flow" of the flower stem in the picture and i'd like to see a little more of that. (i'm just being finicky to have a con, though)

thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 12th, 2009 at 05:10pm
^ No, I agree with your con. Composition is a very valid argument! Better composition is what would turn that photo from a boring photo with a pretty subject into something someone would hang on their wall - for a shiny penny, too. ;]

As for yours...you know that I like it because I commented that series on Flickr. This one is composed well, very well actually. Everything flows extremely well, and the path that leads my eyes to that sweet old couple is very comfortable. The slops and the paths are all perfect. Your depth of field is nice too.

My only complaint could possibly be argued, because this is a large rift in the photography community. I just think that it would have been better in pale color rather than black and white. there are those who stand firm by black and white, but given the weather that day and also the time of day, I think black and white is not quite appropriate for the image. It's really close, though. Do you have it in color? May I see a larger version in color? With your permission I'd like to edit it and show you what I mean, via PM of course.

Hmm, on to me...

James Owen. Sullivan
Banned
James Owen. Sullivan
May 13th, 2009 at 08:45am
Pros: I love the composition of it, and the contrast between darks and whites. the colour of it is really nice, too, just a faint sepia
Cons: I'm not sure about the texture on the corner (idk if that was something in the background or put on afterwards); The line of it and then it *suddenly* being texture kinda looks off, and is distracting... maybe gradually going into it or something...

high drama.
Awake and Unafraid
high drama.
May 13th, 2009 at 11:10am
pros: good composition and color tone
cons: the background looks over-exposured. not too sure about the framing either

James Owen. Sullivan
Banned
James Owen. Sullivan
May 13th, 2009 at 11:51am
Pros: I adore the concept, and the tone of the photo!!!
Cons: I'm not too sure about the composition... it would have been nice to see the rest of her heel and some space behind that; also, although the reflection in the floor is nice, i would have shown only a little bit of that, and more of her legs above the CD player.

make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
May 13th, 2009 at 10:43pm
Pro: I honestly love this photo; the contrast is goregous, as is the lighting, exposure, etc.
Con: [I'm REALLY nitpicking here, I don't think there's anything wrong, really,] but the bottom righthand corner appears to be a little grainy. :\.

This was totally impromptu in the park the other day.
Exposure.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Exposure.
May 14th, 2009 at 05:01pm
Pros- I like the lighting and the facial expression
Cons- It could have had a better angle

Xavey Stars
Motor Baby
Xavey Stars
May 14th, 2009 at 05:08pm
Pros: I like the idea and the colors are great. I like how you can see the wax dripping down too.
Cons: I think I would like it better if the candles weren't so much towards the center.. maybe to the left a little more.

Meh.. I know it's grainy
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 14th, 2009 at 09:39pm
Jepharee Howard.:
Pros: I love the composition of it, and the contrast between darks and whites. the colour of it is really nice, too, just a faint sepia
Cons: I'm not sure about the texture on the corner (idk if that was something in the background or put on afterwards); The line of it and then it *suddenly* being texture kinda looks off, and is distracting... maybe gradually going into it or something...

Just wanted to say thanks; also, sadly, the texture covers the entire image...perhaps better positioning would have worked. D:
Dear Tokyo...
Salute You in Your Grave
Dear Tokyo...
May 15th, 2009 at 12:26am
Pros: It's kind of a boggling image that pulls you in with interest. The texture and color also adds to the mood of the image.

Cons: The image is a little confusing with no true identifiable subject, and the glare of the surrounding signs on the sides pulls the eye away from the middle, where it tends to naturally go, that and the fact that the signs reside on both opposite sides of the image creates almost an uneven look.