Killjoy
Pretty.Odd.
May 30th, 2009 at 10:40am
Congrats to Gerard & Lindsey. [; They're going to be amazing parents! ;D
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 30th, 2009 at 10:41am
I agree Amy. Bandit for me is a name for an armed robber. If some rapper called their little girl Gangster I doubt everyone would love it. I just think it's too violent for a baby.

And as for fan fiction writers ruining the name Helena/Elena.... If the name was that sacred the band shouldn't have used it for a song title.

I'm really happy for Gerard and Lyn-z but it doesn't make me any less of a fan to not like their choice of name. I have a feeling in October not everyone will approve of our choices but so what.
KillJoys
Bulletproof Heart
KillJoys
May 30th, 2009 at 10:49am
*high five* lulah I hardly think everyone here agrees that naming your kid Apple, Peaches and Pixie are fabulous ideas for names.

& I think if Gerard & Lyn-Z wanted to call her Helena they would have, fans go on about how badass they are. So do you really think they would give a fig if the name was used by some kids for fanfics? It was always his Grandmothers name first and it would always hold that memory regradless of how much people rave about it.

And as lulah said everyone is in titled to an opinion. Just because you don't like the name doesn't make you half a fan all of a sudden. Its personal choice at the end of the day.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 30th, 2009 at 11:26am
Ok, so this little one has rockstar parents but what if she wants a different career. Can you imagine President Bandit Way, or would you employ an accountant or a lawyer called Bandit?

I'm certain this baby will be adorable and will have a happy and fulfilled life, but I do think there are other name choices that are original but not with violent connotations. ironically i think Apple and Peaches are nicer choices.
KillJoys
Bulletproof Heart
KillJoys
May 30th, 2009 at 11:33am
Its deffo a novelty name, this whole naming kids after inanimate objects. Its nice to be able to look at the meaning of your name as well. And I know my best friend gets annoyed because her name just means a place. Every name has a story behind it, not saying Lyn-Z and Gerard just plucked it out of the air for hells sake but its nice to look where your name originated from, what language and what it means.

& how 'badass' does a little baby girl need to be?
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
May 30th, 2009 at 12:02pm
Very. So much I've decided imma call my kid Badass just to prove how badass my kid truly is.

Badass Coffee Bean *insert husband's last name here*

Oh yes, all planned.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 30th, 2009 at 12:05pm
Lol. I just think we all need to be more subjective. If any of us met a mother with a pram in the park and she said her beautiful little girl was called Bandit we'd all probably recoil in horror. But because Gerard's used it it's wonderful.

Like I said before, I'm ecstatic for them and as an expecting mother myself I can understand a little bit of what they are going through. Just because I don't like their choice of name doesn't call anything else into question.
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
May 30th, 2009 at 12:29pm
congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Phoxx
Killjoy
Phoxx
May 30th, 2009 at 12:50pm
This so made my day!!

I think Bandit is an awsome name, I soo wish it where mine! Razz It doesn't really matter either, the name, you know that baby is going to be great, I mean, come ON!
Mass Hysteria
Killjoy
Mass Hysteria
May 30th, 2009 at 02:32pm
I just think that by naming their kid Bandit they're giving it a harder life than it needs. It's a truly selfish thing, in my opinion. There are way out names that are different, and there are names like this that just sound silly. I also think had it been some other famous person who used the name hardly any of you would love it or think it was cute. I know i'm going to get a lot of hassle and "you don't know me or how I feel" comments but really, it's a bit of a coincidence.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 30th, 2009 at 02:50pm
It's hardly an orignal concept, musicians giving their kids unusual names. In my universe, this started with Frank Zappa, so...

Either way, the footchest is going to far outweigh the effects of the name. I think Gerard should order a maternity test.
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
May 30th, 2009 at 04:43pm
I always thought the use of Helena/Elena in the song was to honor his grandmother but whaddya I know?

A name is a name is a name. Personally, I love BadAss Coffee Bean Corrigan.. so....Wink

Again, who is to say there isn't some story behind naming the baby Bandit?

I still remember Zowie Bowie, Moon Unit and Dweezil (I believe I misspelled that) and ton's of other celeb kiddie names that people shook their heads at. I remember how bothered everyone was by Rumor and Scout.

Everyone has a right to their opinion whether you love or hate it. You hate it, you like it -- really doesn't matter. But some of the nastier comments cross a line like the lj comment that is here now about the male dog. Why do that? Why project such nastiness at a child?
CupcakeSuicide
Thinking Happy Thoughts
CupcakeSuicide
May 30th, 2009 at 05:05pm
I personally love the name Bandit. And people don't really make THAT much fun of names anymore. Plus, her parents are frikkin rockstars! Im very happy for them, and i hope Bandit's doing well.

I remember before she was born i had a huggeee feeling that it was a girl. Its hard to explain. But for some reason, i was pretty sure. And i was right ;DD When i found out, i started crying from happiness. My dad said i was acting as if i was the one who gave birth xD
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 30th, 2009 at 05:17pm
Of course Helena was used to honour his Grandmother as well you know Jules. The point I was making is that if the name was sacred they shouldn't have used it so publicly. They should have saved it to honour her through a Grandchild. This was merely responding to comments about fans ruining the name.that's all.
As far as I can see here there is no nastiness directed at the child. Everyone who has commented as said how wonderful this child is likely to be, they have merely said they dislike the name.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
Search and Destroy
Search and Destroy
May 30th, 2009 at 05:47pm
I think it is an awful first name but the middle name is nice.

Honestly I can say if my parents named me Bandit Lee, once I was old enough to know better I would be calling myself Lee.

I mean i got a fair amount of stick at school just cos my name is Lauri, never made me dislike my name but at least mine is a proper name (as in it can be found in baby name books etc).
I can only imagine the crap that this kid will get when it goes to school cos of its first name, no matter what anyone says kids can be so mean.

I mean I like names that are a bit unusual but Bandit goes in the same league as Inspektor Pilot & Apple in my book - they are not proper names.

I clearly missed where nastiness was directed at the child, from reading some of the posts some people just dislike the name not the child.

jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
May 30th, 2009 at 06:38pm
jules:
Everyone has a right to their opinion whether you love or hate it. You hate it, you like it -- really doesn't matter. But some of the nastier comments cross a line like the lj comment that is here now about the male dog. Why do that? Why project such nastiness at a child?

My post above was directed towards comments on LJ and in particular one referencing a male dog that was reiterated here. I should have been more clear. I did not state anyone disliked the child because they said they disliked the name.

Livvie - my apologies for any offense.

While I see your point about using it in the song title, but I also stand by my comment that the overuse by fans and in fanfic made it cliche. "Ruin" was probably the wrong word.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
May 30th, 2009 at 09:57pm
Mass Hysteria:
I just think that by naming their kid Bandit they're giving it a harder life than it needs. It's a truly selfish thing, in my opinion. There are way out names that are different, and there are names like this that just sound silly. I also think had it been some other famous person who used the name hardly any of you would love it or think it was cute. I know i'm going to get a lot of hassle and "you don't know me or how I feel" comments but really, it's a bit of a coincidence.
how is it selfish. they're not getting much personal gain out of naming their child.
=========
I don't care what people think of the name, but like, stop calling them selfish parents and making them seem like it's all their faults and it's bad parenting and blah blah blah.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
May 30th, 2009 at 11:27pm

LOL
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
May 30th, 2009 at 11:31pm
I agree that there is no bad feelings being sent towards Bandit herself, but the choice of the name. My name, Tabitha, is not very common, but was the name of the little girl on "Bewitched", which was a popular television show around the time I was born in the late 70's. It was a show about a witch who married a normal guy, but to do her spells, she had to twitch or wiggle her nose. They had a little girl whose name was Tabitha, and to this day I still get people making references to it; i.e. "Can you wiggle your nose?" or forgetting my name and calling me "Samantha" (the mother's name) and saying "Oh, I knew it was one of them," meaning one of the characters on that show. It's annoying as hell and the one thing that I absolutely despise about my name. Bandit is probably going to live her life with people asking her "So where's Smokey?" or other such nonsense.

I agree with Jules, though. Had Gerard or Mikey either one have wanted to name a child after their grandmother, there's no way they could now. There have been so many fanfics and so many people *expecting* it that it is absolutely cliche. Then there was the fact that "Helena" was recorded years before either of them were even *thinking* about marriage or parenthood; they wanted to do something *then* to honor her, so they did the song in her memory. Now, all these years later, one of them has had a daughter, but the idea of naming her Helena would just be adding fuel to the fanfic fire.
kid from yesterday.
Bleeding on the Floor
kid from yesterday.
May 30th, 2009 at 11:38pm
Edit: meh, nvm.

I wonder if they'll put up a photo, though it'd be cool if they managed to keep everything private, sans paparazzi-esque shots.